Madison Development News - Page 193 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Midwest and Plains Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2019, 09:20 PM   #3841
MKE-MSP-CHI

Likes (Received): 4932

This is great news for Exact Sciences. And very exciting to hear their direction to add Liver and Pancreatic cancer tests in the near future. I also appreciate their commitment to WI. There's still a lot of room at the Research Park, but at this rate...it's filling up quickly. It's awesome that Madison has birthed a couple of healthcare unicorns, and that the start up scene is getting a boost with the AmFam Spark opening too.

I'm as big a Milwaukee booster as there is, but I'd love to see Madison's VC dollars and market share expand even more. Given the highly educated workforce, I can foresee more companies like Google opening up regional officers in Madison, as the E Wash Corridor gets even more dense. That whole stretch still has a lot of room to fill in, and I have to imagine that the Power Station is being debated...but barring a major recession, it could fill in just 10-15 years (if not sooner). The 900 E Plans looks particularly awesome, and I'm excited to come back with my wife this fall for game.

Has there been any movement to expand the airport? Or are Chicago / Milwaukee too close to merit more flights? Personally, the more companies like Exact Sciences take off, the more imperative it is to have a commensurate airport.

53704 liked this post
MKE-MSP-CHI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2019, 09:21 PM   #3842
MKE-MSP-CHI

Likes (Received): 4932

Is there anyway for someone to list out the current UC, and the current approved with floor counts?

Cocory liked this post
MKE-MSP-CHI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 10:49 AM   #3843
Cocory

Likes (Received): 209

Madison Development News

I also miss the construction picture updates.!

Mcully56964 liked this post
Cocory no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2019, 04:40 PM   #3844

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-MSP-CHI View Post
Has there been any movement to expand the airport? Or are Chicago / Milwaukee too close to merit more flights? Personally, the more companies like Exact Sciences take off, the more imperative it is to have a commensurate airport.
MSN has added direct flights to SFO, LAX, and PHX recently. From my understanding, they are only focusing on locations that would help the startup community in attracting VC.
53704 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 10:09 PM   #3845
hybridy

Likes (Received): 582

Oakwood Village is embarking on a large campus redevelopment. See details here

Quote:
The project will be divided into two phases.

Phase 1 will consist of the construction of a new independent living apartment building and a ground floor common space with a connector to the existing Covenant Oaks assisted living building. This Phase of the project is being submitted as a Specific Implementation Plan (SIP). Phase 1 details are as follow:
There will be a 14 floors of residential apartment units above, with a total of approximately 140 units. Combined with approximately 5 residential units on the ground floor, there will be a total of approximately 145 residential units. There will be a mix of one and two-bedroom units.
Quote:
Phase 2 of the project includes the demolition of Tabor Oaks, Tower, Gallery and Tabor Oaks. New construction will consist of a second
independent living apartment building, connecting resident amenity levels, a Health & Wellness Center and a connection to the existing Oaks building. This phase of the project is being submitted as a General Development Plan (GDP). Phase 2 details are as follow:
-There will be a 16 floors of residential apartment units above, with a total of approximately 160 units. There will be a mix of one and two-bedroom units. See attached drawings for unit mix and sizes
Rendering and site plan image links

AGundy, Mcully56964, slayerhk47, Cocory liked this post
hybridy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 05:55 AM   #3846
APieceOfToast

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53704 View Post
MSN has added direct flights to SFO, LAX, and PHX recently. From my understanding, they are only focusing on locations that would help the startup community in attracting VC.
Chicago to MSN is delayed so often anyways so it's probably not great to add another delay machine.
Literally just had to connect to and from ORD via MSN on my trip to europe and BOTH times we ended up waiting to takeoff for at least an extra hour.
And surely it doesn't help that ORD is reworking like half of their runways and taxiways right now so it's a nightmare.
APieceOfToast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2019, 05:39 PM   #3847

Solid footage of downtown from the Forward Madison FC game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/madisonwi/c...ward_madisons/

slayerhk47, AGundy liked this post
Old July 19th, 2019, 06:58 PM   #3848
APieceOfToast

Meanwhile Madison turned into the apocalypse this morning with two large electrical substation fires in downtown leaving the entire isthmus without power
Old July 22nd, 2019, 05:51 PM   #3849

Short term solution I guess???
https://madison.com/wsj/traffic/dot-...me-top-story-1
Old July 29th, 2019, 06:41 PM   #3850
UWsteve2009

Likes (Received): 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53704 View Post
kind of interesting.

There are many other infrastructure projects i'd like to see, but this could certainly help alleviate rush hour concerns.
UWsteve2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 11:00 PM   #3851
russellthehippo

Likes (Received): 1

Rush hour traffic concerns

I wonder how much of rush hour Beltline traffic could be alleviated with a set route from Epic to Capital Square twice per hour 6-10 and 4-7. The current buses are absolutely packed and many, many more people want to ride than currently do. Traffic during the huge User Group Meeting, when half of employees take buses of some sort, is the lightest of the year. The cost would be minimal - using existing bus stops, park and rides, getting a few used buses specifically for the route, and hiring several drivers would increase quality of life for folks who work in the southwest Madison/Fitchburg/Verona corridor and would greatly alleviate traffic concerns. Plus, it would be a drop in the bucket for Epic and other employers to share costs for it, perhaps presented as an employee perk.

AGundy liked this post
russellthehippo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 06:27 PM   #3852
Badgers77
Hi

Likes (Received): 92

In seeing pictures of the Flamingos games, it is kind of cool seeing the towers/rowhomes etc off to the sides.

Is anything planned for (or under) construction on the large lot directly across E. Washington from Breese Stevens? I haven't been to Madison in 10 years so I've had trouble finding out just by looking around.
Badgers77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 04:30 PM   #3853

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers77 View Post
In seeing pictures of the Flamingos games, it is kind of cool seeing the towers/rowhomes etc off to the sides.

Is anything planned for (or under) construction on the large lot directly across E. Washington from Breese Stevens? I haven't been to Madison in 10 years so I've had trouble finding out just by looking around.
Well there are two going up in the area.

Heres is across the street.

https://madison.com/ct/news/local/ne...cdab6c2dd.html

And here is on the same side of the street.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/g...57fb33f18.html

Badgers77 liked this post
Old October 1st, 2019, 05:43 PM   #3854
APieceOfToast

What IS the logical reason to keep the height restriction enabled by the capitol? The one about the airport I understand, but if the restriction on the isthmus was lifted for areas not affected by the airport zone, perhaps WEST downtown could rise a bit... wishful thinking. Optimistic me would say Wisconsin is overdue for a boom, but we aren't, because there's no catalyst for one. 2/3 of the state has fallen to the wayside.
Old October 5th, 2019, 04:36 AM   #3855
Fillmore
Fillmore

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by APieceOfToast View Post
What IS the logical reason to keep the height restriction enabled by the capitol? The one about the airport I understand, but if the restriction on the isthmus was lifted for areas not affected by the airport zone, perhaps WEST downtown could rise a bit... wishful thinking. Optimistic me would say Wisconsin is overdue for a boom, but we aren't, because there's no catalyst for one. 2/3 of the state has fallen to the wayside.

I don't know if there is a logical reason. I think it's just an antiquated code that the NIMBYS in Madison are too afraid to change. Granted, the Capitol building is stunning, but the city is only shooting themselves in the foot keeping the restriction in place. Madison, at the very least, should have the skyline of Rochester, MN or Des Moines, IA. Conversely, Madison is a cooler city than both of these place, both in terms of density and attractions.
Fillmore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2019, 07:00 PM   #3856
Id.Wi.

Likes (Received): 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I don't know if there is a logical reason. I think it's just an antiquated code that the NIMBYS in Madison are too afraid to change. Granted, the Capitol building is stunning, but the city is only shooting themselves in the foot keeping the restriction in place. Madison, at the very least, should have the skyline of Rochester, MN or Des Moines, IA. Conversely, Madison is a cooler city than both of these place, both in terms of density and attractions.

I actually think part of the reason for this is the max height. If there was no max there would be a couple really tall buildings and a lot more empty lots. The height limit makes every piece of ground valuable.

Harpua24, gobrewers, slayerhk47 liked this post
Id.Wi. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2019, 01:52 AM   #3857
Harpua24

Likes (Received): 564

I agree, the fact that there is a height restriction is the very reason the city feels more urban and "cooler". Skylines are nothing more than a pissing contest if you ask me. I enjoy a skyscraper as much as the next guy but if that mean you have to sacrifice street activation and deal with open surface lots, then it's not really adding much to the city other than a lofty view for those who can afford to lease the space inside.
Harpua24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 03:59 AM   #3858
VazDrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-MSP-CHI View Post
I can foresee more companies like Google opening up regional officers in Madison, as the E Wash Corridor gets even more dense.
Madison already has a Google Regional office. Its at 10 N Livingston in the Constellation building along E Wash. They were over off Willy St before that, so we've had a Google office for quite a while now...

slayerhk47 liked this post
VazDrae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 10:26 PM   #3859
Fillmore
Fillmore

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by APieceOfToast View Post
Somethings don't make sense, and this is one of them. There is no logical reason for the restriction. Downtown is not on any flight path. The reason for the restriction, as antiquated as it sounds, is merely to keep the Capitol views unrestricted. A developer could build towers and still give the Capitol its (due) respect. Of course, I think if the right developer came along with enough incentives, the city would be fools not to abide, zoning be damned. But while cities like Rochester, MN and Des Moines have built higher than Madison, they don't have the street life of Madison. I think what some Madisonians are searching for is a balance of tall buildings and density; it has the former now, but seems to lack any true credibility because there's no 500 footers in town. If it were up to me, I would build up every tower along the John Nolen approach without blocking out the Capitol and keep the rest of the square at its current height.

Last edited by Fillmore; October 21st, 2019 at 10:32 PM.
Fillmore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 11:35 PM   #3860
dapperdan

Likes (Received): 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Somethings don't make sense, and this is one of them. There is no logical reason for the restriction. Downtown is not on any flight path. The reason for the restriction, as antiquated as it sounds, is merely to keep the Capitol views unrestricted. A developer could build towers and still give the Capitol its (due) respect. Of course, I think if the right developer came along with enough incentives, the city would be fools not to abide, zoning be damned. But while cities like Rochester, MN and Des Moines have built higher than Madison, they don't have the street life of Madison. I think what some Madisonians are searching for is a balance of tall buildings and density; it has the former now, but seems to lack any true credibility because there's no 500 footers in town. If it were up to me, I would build up every tower along the John Nolen approach without blocking out the Capitol and keep the rest of the square at its current height.
Does anyone who actually lives in Madison care about the height thing? I just don't see a concerted effort from anyone in the community to build a 500' tower. Not develpers, community members or politicians. Washington D.C does not have a 500' building. It seems to be doing okay.
I think it is part of our identity and unique skyline.

slayerhk47 liked this post
dapperdan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
madison, wisconsin