Regional ROAD NETWORK - Coast Road, Great North Road, A69, A19, Central Motorway, etc - Page 10 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old February 17th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #181
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1185

That's them cheers
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #182
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 178

Newburn Bridge

As Newburn Bridge is my 'local' bridge I spoke today to a neighbour.
The bridge was two way but there was no pedestrian footpath!
Of course in those days there wasn't as much traffic but they had to take their chances to cross.
The bridge was refurbished a few years ago but the carriageway wasn't relaid so not in a good condition.

As an aside, there was a couple rows of houses on the south, Gateshead side which were known parochially as 'The Klondyke'!

The fact that Newburn Bridge is single carraigeway brings to the fore the issue of another Tyne crossing upstream from central Newcastle.

It could be somewhere off Scotswood Road to the Metro Centre area, which would take some of the traffic away from the A1.
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #183
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post
As Newburn Bridge is my 'local' bridge I spoke today to a neighbour.
The bridge was two way but there was no pedestrian footpath!
Of course in those days there wasn't as much traffic but they had to take their chances to cross.
The bridge was refurbished a few years ago but the carriageway wasn't relaid so not in a good condition.

As an aside, there was a couple rows of houses on the south, Gateshead side which were known parochially as 'The Klondyke'!

The fact that Newburn Bridge is single carraigeway brings to the fore the issue of another Tyne crossing upstream from central Newcastle.

It could be somewhere off Scotswood Road to the Metro Centre area, which would take some of the traffic away from the A1.
Here's a 2010 photograph of the same boat.

image hosted on flickr

All rights reserved by andrew_davison27

Here's the bridge in C1920
image hosted on flickr

Newcastle Libraries

Problem with a Scotty Rd Crossing [wasn't a pedestrian ferry mooted not very long ago] is the from and too - it would be difficult to connect with the existing rd network. Blaydon [ish] to the Gateway West. However perhaps upgrading Scotswood Bridge and the links might also do the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #184
Adrian_Swall

There was a footbridge mooted in the Blaydon area to I think to link the former Stella North and Stella South areas.

Stella South was originally thought to be developed for light industry but is now a very large housing development.
Stella North is now the Newburn Riverside industry/office estate.

As far as another road crossing is concerned there is a Metro Riverside housing estate planned by Gateshead Council (at least on the One Core Strategy document) so that would push more traffic onto the western bypass.

A road bridge from Scotswood Road (which is underused) to the Metro Centre would hopefully take some traffic away from the A1.

There is also going to be a new 'drive-thru' development at the Metro Centre which will drag more traffic into the area - not a great idea.
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #185
merleb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
Ah wow. It s in good nick then . Didn t realise it was once two way. Was there an earlier bridge as the footings don t seem to connect with the bridge [in style]?

BTW does anyone remember a series of rotting boat hulls by the bridge ?
Here is a pic from the Blaydon Courier dated May 1971 when various people were complaining about them:

[IMG][/IMG]
merleb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #186
merleb
BANNED

More info about the boats:

The councillor certainly pleaded "Not Guilty" and "Got his mind set" on blaming the water authority!
Old February 20th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #187
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

They definitely didn t shift 'em . Remember them slowly decaying - I didn t realise 'til I looked at the 2010 pic that the detritus was still there.
Old February 20th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #188
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 62

And why not? If everybody had tidied up in the past, archaeologists would be out of work.
Old February 24th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #189
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2061

New traffic centre controls all Tyne and Wear roads
by Andrew Glover, The Journal, February 24th 2012

TRAFFIC problems across Tyne and Wear are now being dealt with from one nerve centre in a country-first programme designed to ease congestion. Banks of screens and computers analysing data from around the region are being used to keep motorists moving at peak times.

Staff at the control centre, based in Newcastle University, can respond to traffic problems by changing light sequences and alerting public transport operators to hold ups. The Urban Traffic Management Control (UTMC) has taken the road management operations of the five Tyne and Wear councils onto one site, controlling traffic lights, bus lanes, CCTV and traffic flow.

The system, funded by the Department for Transport and operated on behalf of the Tyne and Wear Integrated Transport Authority (ITA), is the first in the country to manage and monitor traffic flow across local authority boundaries. The project controls 27 key junctions across the region, but this could rise by a further 160 if the ITA and Nexus succeed in a Government funding bid for £5m from the Better Bus Areas fund.

The data is being made open source so students at Newcastle and Sunderland universities can develop smartphone applications for specific areas. Data from the centre is available online at www.tyneandweartravel.info. Users of Twitter can also follow updates @tyneweartravel.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1nHwxGaCn
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #190
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

North East roads not bad but they could be better
by Iain Laing, The Journal, March 7th 2012

The region's road infrastructure is improving, not least with the new Tyne Tunnel. But there is still a long way to open up the North East to the rest of the UK, say Newcastle property experts. There is no doubt that positive investment in infrastructure works can produce a platform for securing new development – this is strongly evidenced throughout the North East. Whilst the region does suffer from peak-hour congestion, particularly in relation to the Newcastle/Gateshead Western Bypass and previously the Tyne Tunnel, the highways infrastructure is good relative to some heavily congested areas within the United Kingdom. It is the external links which need improving!

Infrastructure investment has generally fallen at the doors of the public sector, given that they could release funds to overcome problems, which would otherwise leave development opportunities lying fallow. The future may however be less certain given the extent of cutbacks both within national and local government. The private sector needs to make a return for its investment in bricks and mortar, but without pump-priming expenditure, development schemes would not be brought forward. Perhaps the best example relates to the former development corporations, which promoted regeneration schemes on the banks of the rivers Tyne, Wear and Tees.

Public sector funds were channeled towards key flagship schemes, which could demonstrate critical mass and bring about radical change in terms of the environment and public perceptions. I am in no doubt that without long-term decisions being taken in relation to infrastructure investment, then the feasibility of private-sector commitment to both residential and employment-related development would be much curtailed.

The continuing infrastructure issue in the North East is the much-campaigned widening/upgrading of the A1 both north and south of the Tyneside conurbation and improvements to the east/west links to Cumbria and the M6/M74 motorways. The North East has only 36 miles of motorway (Barton interchange to Wardley) and one mile within Newcastle (Central Motorway). Is the North East being shortchanged?

Read More (Two Pages) - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/commerci...1140-30475421/
Old March 11th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #191
jkkne
Northumberland Import

Likes (Received): 82

Gateshead Council have inexplicably made the A167 Durham Road between Eighton Lodge and Low Fell Lyndhurst into one long bus lane instead of a dual carriageway on either side
jkkne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #192
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkne View Post
Gateshead Council have inexplicably made the A167 Durham Road between Eighton Lodge and Low Fell Lyndhurst into one long bus lane instead of a dual carriageway on either side
It WAS a decent bit of dual carriageway that was lightly trafficked and hardly congested - so WHY has Gateshead blown cash on this pointless scheme when it has to find savings of £20 million and make many people redundant in the process? It's simply extendeds the "obstacle course" theme southwards from Durham Road.

Rant addendum mode on>>>

I've also noticed that Gateshead has introduced parking restrictions in the form of time limited parking bays and single and double yellow lining along Sunderland Road. In the process its made mistakes that a 5-year old would be ashamed of, judging by the amount of lining that has had to be corrected from double to single and so forth. Again, why is this necessary - there wasn't really any big problems before. The cynic in me suspects that these 'measures' are to force people to use off street parking, and I'm aware that the Council has resolved to charge people for using all of them.

Elsewhere, the Council is blowing more money creating more mess...erm officially "sustainable transport measures" along Shields Road, Pelaw. When I say "sustainable" it involves raising the pavement by an inch to make it easier to get on a bus. No doubt it will also include a few more ambiguous sets of white lining that pretend to be cycle lanes, along with more build outs and bollards that actually bring vehicles and cyclists dangerously closer together. Hmm if that's sustainable, I feel more convinced to keep a firmer grip on my car keys, thanks!

...and with all this going on, I still have gaping potholes in my street which the Council doesn't seem interested in fixing. Its also filled with muck, debris and broken glass which may ocassionally get pushed around to another part of the street by one of those "tellytubby" street cleaners.

Your tax dollars at work - hmm really!!

<<<<Rant addendum mode off
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #193
Adrian_Swall

I can understand your frustration.

There should have been 'notices' about these changes which is an opportunity to comment or object to the changes.

This is a council allowing 'consultation' which is supposed to be democratic.

Near where I live they are proposing lots of double yellow lines and speed humps on the main road.

You always get the impression they just go through the motions of allowing comments but the changes are going to go ahead regardless.
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #194
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:

There should have been 'notices' about these changes which is an opportunity to comment or object to the changes.

Near where I live they are proposing lots of double yellow lines and speed humps on the main road.

You always get the impression they just go through the motions of allowing comments but the changes are going to go ahead regardless.
To be fair I became aware of the proposals for Sheilds Road, but it was purely by accident (local library) and within a very short time of the closing date. The thing is, putting drawings up in a library is fine if you actually use it. Having a notice in the free-paper is fine if you're lucky to get it delivered. The notice on a lamp-post is fine, again if it manages to keep out reach of a charver's grasp. But even if I did comment, I also believe that its just part of a box-ticking exercise with all objections met with some patronising flannel about social inclusivity, safety and blah-blah and they just get on with it regardless, usually in the most unsympathetic manner to existing street materials, lining and signage.
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #195
merleb
BANNED

Quote:

Exactly right.

Gatehead Council has the cheek to say the public SUPPORTED its change from weekly to two-weekly bin collections!!!

They did a survey where less than 2000 people contributed, and even so about 48% said they 'understood' the reasons for it, not approved it.

No-one is Gateshead is happy with cutting bin collections, as for many it is the real tangible service they get from the council. It is THE most frontline of all services.

They are enraged as they see silly traffic schemes being completed that cause MORE congestion.

They see huge amounts of waste in spending.

Gateshead Council, since the general election are merely trying to make political capital out of spending cuts. Making deliberate, unnecessary swingeing cuts on frontline services, to deliberately anger people, to blame the government and on the back of all this to try to 'attract' more people to support Labour.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; March 16th, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old March 16th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #196
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Cycle lane introduced on Brighton Grove in Fenham
by Anthony Joseph, Evening Chronicle, March 15th 2012

Kat Leyendecker tries out the new cycle path on Brighton Grove

CYCLISTS are celebrating a yellow-line victory. After trying for two years, people power has won the day and yellow lines are being introduced on Brighton Grove in Fenham, Newcastle.

Cyclists were furious that drivers were parking on the designated cycle path section of the road, but after hard lobbying, and the help of Newcastle City councillor Nigel Todd, a compromise has been reached.

Newcastle Cycling Campaign chairwoman Kat Leyendecker said: “It’s been a long-standing problem, but it’s finally come into place.

“Cars were parking on the cycle lane, bumper to bumper, and there was nowhere for the cyclists to go other than on the road or the pavement. This was very dangerous for not only cyclists, but pedestrians and drivers as well.”

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1pGT0WGvi

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; February 22nd, 2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old March 16th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #197
cranfan

Likes (Received): 65

Is this a case of putting in the yellow lines because drivers sort-of know what that means but are either unaware of or flout the rules regarding cycle lanes?

Highway code #140 : You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation.

A bit of paint is cheaper than enforcement, perhaps?
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #198
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranfan View Post
Is this a case of putting in the yellow lines because drivers sort-of know what that means but are either unaware of or flout the rules regarding cycle lanes?

Highway code #140 : You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation.

A bit of paint is cheaper than enforcement, perhaps?
I drive down there daily and the current mandatory lines are replacing dotted 'advisory' lines over which drivers are permitted to park, making them pretty redundant on a busy city road. The double yellows are superfluous as its an offence to park there as you've pointed out, I imagine theyre for emphasis.

What annoys me is in places like Royal Quays where mandatory lanes provided at great expense and segregated from the road are routinely ignored by cyclists who for some reason insist on riding in (and slowing down) the traffic.
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #199
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
I drive down there daily and the current mandatory lines are replacing dotted 'advisory' lines over which drivers are permitted to park, making them pretty redundant on a busy city road. The double yellows are superfluous as its an offence to park there as you've pointed out, I imagine theyre for emphasis.

What annoys me is in places like Royal Quays where mandatory lanes provided at great expense and segregated from the road are routinely ignored by cyclists who for some reason insist on riding in (and slowing down) the traffic.
And at the risk of sounding like Jeremy Clarkson cyclists riding the wrong way along the middle of one way streets; City Road and Gibson Street being particular favourites..
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #200
cranfan

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
The reason could be that it is quicker to ride on the road. I don't know the layout in that area but often if you ride in the cycle lane you can end up having to stop and give way at every side street, and cross each roundabout exit individually. Also sometimes the surface isn't as good.
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
motorways, newcastle, newcastle roads, newcastle transport, north tyneside, road, roads, transport