Downtown Bellevue News and Photos - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2013, 06:10 AM   #121
vrsprng

Likes (Received): 96

Wow. I remember that Ritz project. I kinda like the Bravern however. I just wish the empty space next to the Meydenbauer Center on 112th would fill up.

I must agree with most of y'all that this Marriott looks rather bland. Would have been neat to see it be taller with condos above or some sort of all glass dome like in the Winter-garden at Bellevue Place.
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #122
DawgFan

Likes (Received): 743

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4ivaylo View Post
I wonder how this would have turned out: http://www.hotel-online.com/News/Pre...ydenbauer.html
I think Schnitzer got caught up in the condo building craze and made the mistake of scrapping the hotel portion of the Bravern in favor of more condos. A hotel would've provided a steady stream of patrons for their shops and restaurants. This new Marriott should help but is a little too far from the Bravern to make a big impact.
DawgFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 06:22 AM   #123
DawgFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrsprng View Post
Wow. I remember that Ritz project. I kinda like the Bravern however. I just wish the empty space next to the Meydenbauer Center on 112th would fill up.

I must agree with most of y'all that this Marriott looks rather bland. Would have been neat to see it be taller with condos above or some sort of all glass dome like in the Winter-garden at Bellevue Place.
That empty spot is owned by the city and was supposed to be for an expansion of Meydenbauer Center. It's been a while since I've heard any news regarding that so it will likely sit empty for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #124
vrsprng

I agree DawgFan. That much is so true. I feel it is time for an expansion to the MB Center. Even a sky bridge to the City hall would be nice once they finally develop that piece. I remember when the corner of 112th and 6th was a Shell station. The opposite corner was never anything but farm land and is now just grass and blackberries.
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #125
just4ivaylo

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgFan View Post
I think Schnitzer got caught up in the condo building craze and made the mistake of scrapping the hotel portion of the Bravern in favor of more condos. A hotel would've provided a steady stream of patrons for their shops and restaurants. This new Marriott should help but is a little too far from the Bravern to make a big impact.
It probably will bring a little bit more foot traffic, but that project, as it stands, is literally in the middle of nowhere like you point out. Yes, it sits on 8th St., and it's also close to 405, but it's way too disconnected from the other shopping in downtown Bellevue. I could honestly care less, though, because I'm not sure the stores that The Bravern has offer anything that is even remotely close to the prices that I'd pay for clothing and the like.
just4ivaylo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #126
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 6668

I had lunch at the Bravern with a friend on Monday. That parkng garage is a complete fuster cluck.
Capitol Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #127
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
I had lunch at the Bravern with a friend on Monday. That parkng garage is a complete fuster cluck.
I seem to get that impression from parking garages more often than not.

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:53 AM   #128
alexjonlin

Likes (Received): 216

Lol the Bravern is literally in the middle of nowhere?
alexjonlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #129
D Green

Likes (Received): 716

Maybe from a pedestrian's point of view.

Speaking from a driving standpoint, it is a little inconvenient to try to get into the parking. The best is a turn-around on 8th or driving north up 110th.
D Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #130
just4ivaylo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjonlin View Post
Lol the Bravern is literally in the middle of nowhere?
Yes, in terms of walking. I wasn't too clear on that.
Old April 6th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #131
DawgFan

Walked by the Marriott site earlier and there were some bulldozers clearing the site. Looks like this one is a go!
Old April 6th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #132
vrsprng

Wow. Thanks for the pic.
Old April 6th, 2013, 06:10 AM   #133
vrsprng

Does anyone know if Touchstone is still planning to develop the remainder of Washington Square or if another developer is going to take over? If another developer has different plans for the property it will most likely take many months to pass a new design review. Maybe it will be worth the wait this time. I am hoping Bellevue raises the height limits soon.
Old April 6th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #134
alexjonlin

Still, it's less than one block walking from the transit center, I definitely wouldn't consider it middle of nowhere.
Old April 6th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #135
just4ivaylo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjonlin View Post
Still, it's less than one block walking from the transit center, I definitely wouldn't consider it middle of nowhere.
Sure, but it's quite a few more from Bellevue Square, which is the area that has the most shops and most traffic out of the two. When's the last time any of us have walked from one to the other?

Perhaps it's great for those people that work at The Bravern that the transit center is close by, but those who can afford to live in those buildings are hardly the public transportation "type" (though I certainly am not saying none of them use KCM or ST).
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #136
alexjonlin

I've walked it plenty of times. 110th & 8th to Bellevue Way & 8th is less than .4 miles.
Old April 7th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #137
vrsprng

There needs to be a gondola from Bell Square to The Bravern or perhaps an underground tunnel full of other retail shops, kiosks and people movers. Similar to that of a large airport or two adjoining subway stations.
Old April 7th, 2013, 02:19 AM   #138
WESTSEATTLEGUY
Here

Likes (Received): 17

Sure.. Because everyone that shops at the Braven wants to ditch their Lexus at Bell square and take a people mover half a mile through a tunnel... It's the suburbs, there's enough parking to easily go from one to another. Everything out there does not need to be walk-able.
WESTSEATTLEGUY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:07 AM   #139
vrsprng

I disagree plainly. We do not want to drive or walk. Hence the idea of the people movers.
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #140
WESTSEATTLEGUY
Here

Likes (Received): 17

Maybe you don't, but the people that shop and drive sales at both locations want transportation that's fast and private.
WESTSEATTLEGUY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement