Pioneer Square Development News and Photos - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #61
alexjonlin

Likes (Received): 216

I want a Seattle Transportation Museum on the waterfront! Anyone down to start a non-profit with me to work on that?
There is that one pier next to the Aquarium that has absolutely nothing on it and most of the year is completely empty, but I went there last night it was packed with people, mostly watching a didgeridoo performance by a guy who said he could actually get shut down by the cops because he was using a lamp... cause what we really don't want is people actually using our parks!
alexjonlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #62
Mpatte

Likes (Received): 364

First time i read the plans for the waterfront, i misread part the real excited me. I thought they were going to replace the public pier with an actually grassy park. Even now it is i think an awesome idea. Grassy area jutting out into the water with some trees dow nthe middle, bandshell/venue on the end, and pocket beaches on either side. A place to go and sit and enjoy the sea-air.
Mpatte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #63
LCIII

Likes (Received): 3092

We have a waterfront thread that would be more appropriate for this conversation...
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #64
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 3849

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMacherat View Post
If we took a less intensively planned approach to the waterfront, allowing some individuality and even scruff, we would question the result and complain FORever about the mess. But it would be jam packed all the time. OTOH, what we will probably do is design (committee) something with the appeal and sterility of an operating room, and no one will ever want to go there.

Do we want people to go to the waterfront? Yes. To do what? Eat, shop, be entertained, learn something, romance, breathe, hang out, behave. What about standing and chatting in a large plaza with some benches and skinny trees? What do you think?
There's a lot of truth to this. The Market and current waterfront are examples of successful areas that have happened semi-haphazardly and are very successful. I hope the waterfront doesn't get so shiny that it's sterile.
mhays está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #65
Rogue Linguist

Likes (Received): 317

And also participate in commercial port activities. I like the idea of maintaining a commercial seaport and integrating recreational activities into it.

NWDave83, Tespia liked this post
Rogue Linguist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 07:03 PM   #66
Ruffhauser
Correspondent

Likes (Received): 10548

From todays DJC.

http://www.djc.com/news/co/12056514.html

August 23, 2013

Now Polson Building is getting braced for tunneling work below
By JOURNAL STAFF

Subcontractors for Seattle Tunnel Partners have begun working inside the Polson Building at 71 Columbia St. to reinforce it before Bertha, the tunnel boring machine, passes below later this year or in early 2014.

STP told the DJC two years ago that it would use compensation grouting to reinforce the Polson and three other buildings nearby. That process involves sinking shafts beneath buildings and inserting grout tubes to pump in concrete to make the soil stronger and fill voids.

The plan now is to add bracing and concrete shear walls. Nothing will be done to the soil underneath, but crews earlier this year installed a micropile sheet wall between the Polson and the viaduct that is intended to limit settlement.

Bracing inside the Polson will consist of steel, concrete and wood.

Crews will work at night so tenants aren't disturbed. They are using a sound-attenuating generator, foregoing the use of pure-tone backup alarms on trucks and construction equipment, and installing liners to dampen noise in truck beds.

Three other buildings also are directly above the tunnel route: the Commuter Center Garage, Commuter Building and Western Building. The Commuter buildings are also getting braced, and GLY Construction is finishing a $19 million rehab of the Western that includes extensive seismic bracing.

Seattle Tunnel Partners is a joint-venture of Dragados USA and Tutor Perini.

Ruffhauser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #67
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 383

foregoing the use of pure-tone backup alarms on trucks and construction equipment

Imagine that. I never thought it was possible.
RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #68
Seasun

Likes (Received): 1729

There are definitely other buildings that are "directly above the tunnel route" but probably just not so old or as close to the TBM as the ones mentioned.
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #69
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 2598

I had always wondered how they convinced the Fed's to go under the Federal building. Of course - they just shifted the route west.
Matt the Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #70
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 3849

Back-up alarms drive a lot of things in construction. They're a big reason for restricted work hours near residents and hotels. Projects often try to have delivery trucks go forward only, whether along the street or in a loop onsite. There's a new kind that buzzes rather than beeps....I sure hope these take over.

Imagine you're a family living across the alley from a supermarket a couple decades ago. Never a problem. Then the alarm mandate happens, and suddenly those 3:00 am deliveries wake you and the kids up every night. (No, this wasn't me!) Anecdotally, lot of stores apparently had to switch to daytimes, or they just screwed their neighbors and helped hollow out neighborhoods.
mhays está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #71
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 2334

It could be worse.

In India most ALL cars (personal or otherwise) have backup warning alarms. To make them more charming, they are often personalized. I remember one EVERY MORNING backing out of his space a few floors down from my bedroom window. Each morning playing 'Santa Clause is Comin' to Town.' Something cruel about that in 100 degree weather.
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #72
Mpatte

Now it looks like i am moving back out of pioneer square. My new apartment is income controlled, and their CPA calculated a little diffrently than before, so now i make a couple thousand too much a year. Boo. Now i will be moving for the 3rd time in about a month
Old August 28th, 2013, 04:45 AM   #73
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 6656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpatte View Post
Now it looks like i am moving back out of pioneer square. My new apartment is income controlled, and their CPA calculated a little diffrently than before, so now i make a couple thousand too much a year. Boo. Now i will be moving for the 3rd time in about a month
Ahh.. the underside of affordable housing that people don't think of.

Matt the Engineer liked this post
Capitol Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #74
LCIII

Likes (Received): 3092

That's shitty
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #75
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 2598

It's better to have loved and lost, etc.

Though three moves in a month sounds like a nightmare.
Matt the Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #76
Mpatte

There have been several news stories about skyrocketing rent prices recently, and now i am experiancing them myself. Oh well, i've always liked Green Lake
Old August 28th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #77
Black Box
Black Box

Likes (Received): 338

The stories of rising rent and low vacancy rates abound. I see the changes in my neighborhood (Central District). The spillover from Capitol Hill is very noticeable.
Black Box no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #78
Mpatte

It seems like a recent and rapidly changing situation. To the point that i feel like all rentals have jacked their prices up to $3-4 per square foot in the last couple of weeks, perhaps due to Seattle Times articles. I would assume that the market cannot handle that, and prices will start to fall when they realize that they are charging the same for a 30 year old building as the brand new lux apartments. Or i am wrong and that is fair market, and Seattle is about to drastically change.
Old August 29th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #79
jessejb

Likes (Received): 508

Having Manhattan rental rates in Seattle is unsustainable that's for sure. And that's what they're aiming for. In the meantime NIMBYs will continue to fight 80 foot building elevations.
jessejb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #80
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 2334

It's all self-correcting.

People will either pay the higher rents, or move where things are cheaper - older buildings, the 'burbs.

We all have choices that sometime don't match with our desires.
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement