SEATTLE | Qualtrics Tower, née 2&U (1201 2nd Ave, 2nd & University) | 38 Stories | 527 feet | 160 meters - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #1
TravelerSea

Likes (Received): 132

SEATTLE | Qualtrics Tower, née 2&U (1201 2nd Ave, 2nd & University) | 38 Stories | 527 feet | 160 meters

- dmca

Matt the Engineer liked this post
TravelerSea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #2
TravelerSea

I love the look of this one. One of my new favorites from a streetscape perspective. I hope it doesn't get toned down in design review.
Old November 6th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Iamkontroll

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerSea View Post
The project joins a growing list of high-rise proposals in downtown Seattle, including a 77-story project at Second and Marion,
What is THIS?
Iamkontroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #4
geoffloftus
Co-Czar

Likes (Received): 24100

"Design hack-a-thon"?

TravelerSea liked this post
geoffloftus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #5
Grayproduct
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 68

Is this the largest "tower" boom ever yet? I'm losing track of all of the office projects, let alone residential that's under construction or planning.

SeattleRedhawk86, Brandon Arkell liked this post
Grayproduct no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #6
DawgFan

Likes (Received): 743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkontroll View Post
What is THIS?
Urban Visions project. Don't expect it to get built any time soon.

2&U looks great. If it's a full block that would mean the Galland Building is a goner.
DawgFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 08:30 PM   #7
Iamkontroll

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkontroll View Post
What is THIS?
Never mind, I think this is in reference to the thread titled "New Seattle tallest that will never get built" or something like that.

Anyway I like the look of this tower but not too crazy about the pillars at the base, looks a little dated.
Iamkontroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #8
TravelerSea

Press release
11/6/2014 2:30 PM CET

Skanska USA plans to develop a new tower joining the cultural and financial core of downtown Seattle with the new waterfront

Skanska USA Commercial Development Inc. announced today it has reached agreement with the Samis Foundation to lease and develop all of its downtown Seattle property located east to west between Second and First Avenue and north to south between University and Seneca Streets.

Skanska approached Samis more than three years ago with a vision for the Second and University properties, now referred to as 2&U. Leadership from both groups saw an opportunity to create a true Pacific Northwest building that could position Seattle and its downtown for continued success. Their discussions resulted in a long-term ground lease signed on November 1st, facilitated in large part by Jim Reinhardsen of local real estate advisors Heartland.

“Skanska’s inspiring vision for our property will provide long-term value to support our philanthropic mission,” said Eli Almo, Samis’s executive board member involved in the transaction. “This vision will strengthen this most critical area of downtown Seattle, creating a long-lasting, memorable impact on the quality of life in our city’s business district.”

The planned project, with a scheduled delivery in 2019, is a Class A office tower with approximately 725,000 square feet of leasable space featuring an active ground floor experience comprised of unique and accessible retail shops, restaurants and public spaces. Skanska will work collaboratively with the downtown community during the design and development process by organizing a series of roundtables and other forums to discuss how 2&U’s design could connect tenants, visitors and neighbors to civic and cultural amenities like the Seattle waterfront, Seattle Art Museum and the downtown transit tunnel.

“The location of 2&U is really at the seam of our city,” said Lisa Picard, executive vice president for Skanska USA Commercial Development in Seattle. “We want to create a fresh and compelling experience between the waterfront and the rest of downtown that invigorates the work environment for companies having, or seeking, an address in the core.”

Skanska’s team for 2&U includes New Haven, Connecticut-based architects Pickard Chilton, selected from a unique “design hack-a-thon” process that started with seven internationally recognized design firms. Pickard Chilton’s design submission reinforced Skanska’s vision by making a strong connection between the building’s form and the Northwest’s character. The preliminary design creates a network of pedestrian passages traversing the block through a forest-like base, while the tower above provides weather protection similar to the warmth and comfort of a tree canopy.

“We share Skanska’s aspirations for 2&U and are looking forward to working with the neighborhood to create a new and welcoming, communal destination representative of the region’s unique character.” said Principal William Chilton.

2&U is Skanska’s fourth development project in the Puget Sound region since commencing Seattle development operations in 2011. Skanska’s first commercial development in Seattle, Stone34, was completed in June and is fast becoming a Seattle landmark. Skanska is currently constructing 400 Fairview, a 14-story Class A office project including an open style retail market hall in South Lake Union. 400 Fairview will be the future headquarters of global retailer Tommy Bahama. Across Lake Washington in downtown Bellevue, Skanska is completing Alley 111, its first mixed-use urban multi-family development in the region.

Skanska USA Commercial Development, which launched in late 2008, is focused on the development of Class A commercial projects and is committed to delivering sustainable buildings. In addition to Seattle, Skanska also has commercial development groups in Washington D.C., Houston and Boston.
Old November 6th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #9
Ruffhauser
Correspondent

Likes (Received): 10572

2nd and University tower drawing

2nd and University tower
by dr, on Flickr

cadre, M'sFan, TaoQuan, Halcon_del_sur liked this post
Ruffhauser está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #10
John Novak
Build high Seattle!

Likes (Received): 98

any estimates on how tall this one is? I count 37 floors... 500-580 range?
Old November 6th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #11
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 2598

Totally not in the article, and I don't want to start rumors, but...

Is that a wood skyscraper?!

Here's what wood skyscraper designs look like, and 2&U sure looks similar.

Those branching columns could absolutely be glulams. I assume even if this is intended to be a wood skyscraper they would have a lot of code-based hurdles to clear, so maybe they wouldn't want to announce something they can't build. Anyway, end of speculation.
Matt the Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 09:05 PM   #12
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 6662

I'm having trouble orienting myself to the model, I assume the lowrise is on First. I'm hoping Second and University becomes the front door of the project so it interacts with Benaroya Hall and the tunnell entrance.

I wonder if one of the stumbling blocks this project will face with design review is the shadows it will cast on the outdoor plaza at Benaroya Hall along Second Ave.

Ruffhauser liked this post
Capitol Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #13
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 2339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
I'm having trouble orienting myself to the model, I assume the lowrise is on First. I'm hoping Second and University becomes the front door of the project so it interacts with Benaroya Hall and the tunnell entrance.

I wonder if one of the stumbling blocks this project will face with design review is the shadows it will cast on the outdoor plaza at Benaroya Hall along Second Ave.
From the MHays handbook: ". . . shade, not shadows."
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #14
Grayproduct
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 68

A view today. It will be surrounded by other buildings (Russell Investment Center, 1201, Harbor Steps, building with the dome top) for at least the first 15 floors.

Old November 6th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #15
Capitol Hill

What I wonder is if the low rise is on the western half of the block or the southern half. That's my orientation issue. I think with the zoning, it needs to be on the western half, but not positive there.
Old November 6th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #16
horatio_the_hermit

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
What I wonder is if the low rise is on the western half of the block or the southern half. That's my orientation issue. I think with the zoning, it needs to be on the western half, but not positive there.
I'm thinking the low rise is on the western half. Looking at the ground level of the rendering, it appears the little plaza areas populated by people are designed to accomodate the grade change. Could be wrong.
Old November 6th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #17
NathanielW

Likes (Received): 425

Below is the view from West Seattle; it would be built in front of 1201 Third. It's going to hide much of 1201 Third from the west, and how much of it is hidden depends on the orientation of the building.

1201 Third Avenue - 2014-03-13 by NW, on Flickr

nataliabe, prageethSL liked this post
NathanielW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #18
cadre

Likes (Received): 943

Quote:
I'm having trouble orienting myself to the model, I assume the lowrise is on First. I'm hoping Second and University becomes the front door of the project so it interacts with Benaroya Hall and the tunnel entrance.

I think you're right about the orientation, with the low rise being on first. I'm not too concerned about objections arising from shadows...I mean...shade...cast on the plaza at Benaroya or on the south side plaza at SAM. The elevated nature of the structure would enhance those features. Hopefully, it will extend the beautiful Harbor Steps corridor uphill on Union.

That is really a beauty. Hope it gets done.
cadre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 09:30 PM   #19
LCIII

Likes (Received): 3092

Wish they'd tell us how tall it is

Found1/4OunceinCouch liked this post
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 09:36 PM   #20
Capitol Hill

I'm counting 37/38 floors, so my guess is about the same as the Amazon trio, ~520 ft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
seattle, usa