Jewellery Quarter - Page 54 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 12th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #1061
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuttonBluenose View Post
I don't think so. Don't really know tbh.

Nope no building taking place yet Im afraid
nigeman no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #1062
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8031

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuttonBluenose View Post
Anyone know if the Bloc hotel got planning permission for their extension?
Goes to committee 24th of this month
sefton66 no está en línea  
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #1063
sefton66

Quote:
Jewellery Quarter firms vote for business improvement district
By Cilian O'Brien May 25 2012

COMPANIES in the Jewellery Quarter have voted in favour of creating a business improvement district for the area.

The vote for the district – an area where businesses pay an additional tax or fee in order to fund improvements – was passed after winning 80 per cent support.

Organisers said the "yes" vote – which creates the city’s 10th business improvement district (BID) was secured on a 45 per cent turnout of more than 500 businesses.

The BID was led by the Jewellery Quarter Development Trust (JQDT) in partnership with Birmingham City Council, with the aim of attracting investment, increasing visitor numbers and encouraging a more vibrant economy, while making the area a better place to work and live.

It will see businesses with premises with a rateable value of £10,000 and above pay an annual levy of two per cent to fund additional investment for the benefit of the area.

David Mahony, chair of the JQDT, said: "We are absolutely delighted. It is what we have got to do to get the Jewellery Quarter moving.

"It has been hard work. It has been the biggest in the Midlands in terms of area and it has not been the best time to drive it in terms of asking people for more money.

"It is a real endorsement."

Over the past six months the JQDT has hosted a series of consultation meetings and a drop-in day to enable business owners and potential levy payers to find out more about the plans.

The ballot started on April 17 and ran for five weeks until May 24.

The Jewellery Quarter BID area is bounded by the Jewellery Quarter side of Great Charles Street, Livery Street, Great Hampton Street, Key Hill Drive, Icknield Street, Sandpits/The Parade and Summer Row.

Birmingham was described as the "BID capital of Britain" earlier this year after it emerged that the city was home to ten per cent of all business improvement districts in the UK.

There are BIDs for Broad Street, the City Centre Retail area, Colmore District, Southside, Sutton Coldfield, Kings Heath, Erdington, Acocks Green and Northfield.

Read More http://www.birminghampost.net/birmin...#ixzz1vuuqdj8i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #1064
sefton66

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #1065
sefton66

Thought this was worth a post, nothing major or to get excited about but the plans are a lot better than what used to be there
Quote:
Application Details
Application Number 2012/03696/PA
Application Type Conservation Area Consent
Site Address 1-6 Spencer Street Hockley Birmingham B18 6DD
Proposal Conservation Area Consent for the replacement of previous collapsed facade.
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #1066
mikey23

Likes (Received): 127

Work is due to start on the Golden Square soon

Quote:
The 24 Carrots market is situated on the future site of the Golden Square; a £1.5m development outside the Big Peg on Warstone Lane into a public space, designed with the market in mind. The Golden Square, once completed, will be a magnificent location for the market and construction starts imminently!

However, whilst the Square is under construction, the 24 Carrots committee have made the decision to put the markets on hold. After working with the local community and stallholders, it was found that a suitable alternative location in the Jewellery Quarter could not be arranged.

During the break, the 24 Carrots committee will be focussing on their re-launch and a special Christmas market later this year. Plans are already afoot to make the market larger and more diverse. Key aims include supporting locals more, through working closer with community focussed initiatives, such as The Grow Soho Community Garden at City Hospital.

Anne O’ Leary, chair, commented, “While this was a hard decision to make, the committee believe that this is in the best interests of our stallholders and supporters of the market. We are looking forward to re-launching in 2013, brighter, fresher and even bigger! We’d also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has been involved and who has supported us over the last three years. We look forward to working with you for many more years to come!”

The 24 Carrots committee encourage our supporters to visit the other amazing markets in Birmingham while we are on a break. These include; Stirchley, King’s Heath, King’s Norton, Bourneville, New Street, Brindley Place and Moseley markets. There you will find your favourite stallholders ready to welcome you!

In the meantime you can follow our twitter account for @24_Carrots news
Old August 4th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #1067
sefton66

nice scheme

Quote:
Application Details
Application Number2012/04908/PA
Application Type Full Planning
Site Address 5 - 8 Caroline Street Birmingham B3 1TR
Proposal Erection of a three storey rear extension, with undercroft parking to provide 6 no. 1 bed apartments and 6 no. 2 bed apartments, roof extension and refurbishment of frontage building to provide 2 no. 1 bed apartments, ground floor cafe (Use Class A3) and offices at first and second floor level.
http://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/N...APP&key=570661
Old August 4th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #1068
blahblahv2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Urgh. Sorry, but who in their right mind would want to live somewhere which has no bath? All of the flats in that scheme besides apartment 13 on the top floor have showers only?
blahblahv2 no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #1069
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 272

Um, me! I much prefer showers - I haven't had a bath for years!
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea  
Old August 5th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #1070
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1582

Loads of people who prefer city life would not mind only having a shower, I very rarely have a bath, and living somewhere without one would not bother me.
Old August 5th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #1071
blahblahv2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
I haven't had a bath for years!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummyboy92 View Post
I very rarely have a bath,
Wondered what the smell was

Joking aside, I'm surprised to hear you say that. After a stressful day, or a ride out on the bike I find that a good long soak in a hot bath helps me to unwind and makes me sleep better. With some strategic placing of the iPad, I can quite happily stick a film on and spend a few hours in the bath!

Plus a bath is much better than a shower for some sexy time with your other half.

On a further serious note, I really don't like bathrooms which don't have windows. I had a flat like that once and it was a choice between the extractor fan on constantly (Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) or a damp and mouldy bathroom.

My first flat was 1, bed, 1 bathroom with no windows. Shower over the bath
Second was 2 bed, 1, ensuite shower room and one full bathroom with no shower. Specifically chose the plot so we had windows on both
Current is 3 bed end terrace. Ensuite shower room with window & full bathroom with window

Last edited by blahblahv2; August 5th, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
blahblahv2 no está en línea  
Old August 5th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #1072
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 2024

I have a choice! But to walk bleary-eyed into a cubicle is a lot easier in the morning. I only have baths nowadays in hotels.

Good to see another cafe on Caroline st also.
Old August 5th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #1073
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

NOT sustainable design. If you want to ever want to own a bath you have to move house.
Old August 5th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #1074
Qoasis777
Social Housing

Likes (Received): 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic
NOT sustainable design. If you want to ever want to own a bath you have to move house.
I don't see your point? If you ever want to own a garden you need to move to a house too.

Not everyone wants a garden.
Not everyone wants a bath.
People are not all the same.
Qoasis777 no está en línea  
Old August 5th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #1075
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 546

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66
Can somebody download and post a few images up here as i cant seem to get any of the docs to open on my tablet?

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea  
Old August 5th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #1076
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post

Great to see this building potentially being brought back inot use and the ground floor cafe. Caroline Street is really light, wide and airy, crying out for some street cafe's or even a nice select bar or two.
Also if anyone from the JQ BID explores this site, how about a row of trees on either side of Caroline Street too
nigeman no está en línea  
Old August 5th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #1077
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

IIRC trees will be planted up Caroline St as part of the Highways PFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoasis777 View Post
I don't see your point? If you ever want to own a garden you need to move to a house too.

Not everyone wants a garden.
Not everyone wants a bath.
People are not all the same.
But how many flats in the JQ already have no shower? These flats are targeted at the transient population that live somewhere a couple of years and then move on. It's not sustainable and without proper housing built in the city centre we won't get settled communities.

The first phase of residential-led development in the city centre is complete, now it is time to make people want to stay.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 02:12 PM   #1078
mikey23

Likes (Received): 127

Some bits and pieces from jqdt website

http://www.jqdt.org/2012/09/03/lates...llery-quarter/

Quote:
LATEST NEWS IN THE JEWELLERY QUARTER
SEP 3 2012

- Consultation has started on plans to make the Warstone Lane junction by Tescos safer for pedestrians.

- The Assay Office have plans to relocate within the Jewellery Quarter and a public exhibition is to be held at the Assay Office on Friday 21st September between 2pm and 4pm.

- A new apprenticeship scheme to encourage new blood into the Jewellery Trade is under development and is expected to be announced shortly.

- The proposed artwork to the derelict building on the corner of Ludgate Hill/Lionel St is expected to be installed in the next month following a partnership between University College Birmingham and the Jewellery Quarter Development Trust(BID).

- A new Jewellery Quarter Visitor Guide is now available free from local attractions and the Jewellery Quarter Visitor Information Centre.

- The appointment of an approved contractor for the Golden Square is imminent with construction proposed to commence in October. Details,including updated design plans will be released shortly and negotiations/consultation with the landowners affected can then commence.
Old September 9th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #1079
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1582

About bloody time, been waiting for this development for quite some time.

Quick question, there are some interesting buildings dotted around the Jewellery Quarter, some really nice old builds. However some of them look just to perfect, so are some of these buildings new builds designed to keep in touch with the areas old style? A good example is the building fronting St Pauls Church with 'The Rope Walk Pub ' on the ground floor.
Brummyboy92 no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #1080
jauntyangle

Likes (Received): 32

I'm pretty sure I've seen some very old photos (B&W possibly pre-war) of St Paul's Square, including "The Rope Walk" bit, and from memory it did look very different/much plainer then.

Unfortunately, I think the site that hosted them (and a lot of other great old photos) is no longer up.

Did anyone else here happen to archive them on photobucket or flickr? Or does anyone know where they are now?
jauntyangle no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread