Salt Lake City - Not just for religious whackos anymore! - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID, BC
» Development News | Albuquerque | Las Vegas | Los Angeles | San Francisco Bay Area | Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #61
TonyAnderson

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_UT View Post

Wanting the Church not to have influence in Utah is the same that telling Obama not to govern the United States..

Utah was founded by the Church...and of course the Church has to be the most powerful influence here.
As long as the majority of people in the state are LDS. That number has been decreasing and I suspect the religious influence will decrease to the same degree. With that said, I find the state to be a great place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #62
Dale

Likes (Received): 5764

I'm not a Mormon and I think that Utah and SLC rock! But then I'm a bit of a wierdo in that I don't have a fetish for grit.

Texas RE liked this post
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #63
600West218

Likes (Received): 1581

I have gone to SLC three times. Once as part of a summer vacation and twice for skiing. It is very nice and seemed livable. It is not very cosmapolitan though and it is a LONG drive to any place that is.

I think it is getting overpopulated. It is a high desert environment and the effects of too much pollution are becoming pronounced. So I'll be happy to visit there while living elsewhere.

Oh, and yes, I've never seen such a clean city anywhere. I
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2012, 06:35 PM   #64
Roy_DF

Likes (Received): 0

great

Last edited by Roy_DF; July 31st, 2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: wrong place post
Roy_DF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 01:18 AM   #65
Stenar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
Don't Mormons believe that people of African descent to be cursed; something along the lines of when Cain killed Abel, God cursed him by turning him black, and all people of African descent are of his seed? I hope this isn't true, because that's about the most racist thing I've heard! FYI, I was told this by a Mormon, but said only the most fundamentalist Mormons, like the ones still practicing polygamy, believe this. But still, if it's in your bible, that is enough to make me never want to go to Utah.

Mormons only make up between 20-25% of Salt Lake City now and only 45% of Salt Lake County. So, it doesn't matter so much what Mormons believe, since they're a minority now.
Stenar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #66
Stenar

The Book of Mormon doesn't mention Cain or black people being the cursed seed of Cain. The Mormon prophet Brigham Young said that about black people, but it was never Mormon doctrine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
Learn how to spell freak; then come and talk to me. No, actually I'll respond anyways. Although I am far from being an expert on the King James Bible, I am quite sure it doesn't speak of "black people" as being the cursed seed of Cain. I do realize the bible tells the story of Cain and Abel, but I haven't ever heard any christian I know say some crazy shit about race like that; but hey, maybe it does I don't really care. Also, again I'm no expert, but I do know that Mormons use a different bible. Now, they may use your "regular" King James version, too; but I know for a fact they have a totally different bible that talks about prophets here in North America, and golden tablets or something like that. Like I said, I know a Morman guy who is originally from Utah; and we have had many discussions about a lot of topics regarding that religion. Don't be so defensive anyway, you said you weren't Mormon, and all I did was ask a question.
Stenar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:18 AM   #67
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Oh, and yes, I've never seen such a clean city anywhere.
However, there are random occasions in the Winter where atmospheric temperature inversions make the entire valley around SLC extremely smoggy and nasty looking. Not that they are alone in that problem. Santiago, another mountain city, has that same issue.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:35 AM   #68
Sky-

Likes (Received): 166

I absolutely love Salt Lake City and the State itself, the weather, the cost of living, nature and amenities. But I do agree, living outside Salt Lake City can be very difficult, its just hard to live your own life.

Texas RE liked this post
Sky- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 10:43 PM   #69
KC2SD

Likes (Received): 455

This thread is insane. I came in here hoping to see photos and learn more about SLC. Instead I'm completely floored to see a thread dedicated to pure hatred, ignorance, insidious lies and a complete denigration of millions of Americans; Mormons.

I'm not a Mormon and I certainly don't agree with their beliefs.

I should have known from the title that some twisted sick people were going to spew their hatefulness at a high level of ignorance. It's shameful that moderators have allowed this thread to be a hateful cancer in this forum.

I'll go back to the heading and try to find a real thread about SLC and hopefully can forget about the bigotry here.
KC2SD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 08:00 PM   #70
brandonlee206DT

Likes (Received): 26

SLC too LDS influenced - wouldn't invest there for at least 150 yrs.
brandonlee206DT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement