JAPAN | High Speed Rail - Page 120 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2019, 10:32 PM   #2381
Lw25

Likes (Received): 1637

Niigata depot is intact?
Lw25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2019, 05:55 AM   #2382
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
1/3 of E7 sets are now out of service, 10 were damaged by this flood. Expect serious cutbacks when the service resumes on the Hokuriku Shinkansen.

It's unclear how fast these trains will be able to put back into service. They will have to be checked first to see how extensive the damage is. Problem is that these stood at the yard where this normally would have been done. As the whole site was flooded the maintenance buildings will also have water damage. And nobody has yet been allowed to go to the area to see the extent of the damage, the whole area was evacuated including all JR East staff.
I wonder if this means the E4 retirement schedule will have to be put on hold, so those can serve the Joetsu Shinkansen and free up trainsets for the Hokuriku Shinkansen.

Work should probably be starting to pump water out of the site, as we speak?

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.

Last edited by luacstjh98; October 14th, 2019 at 06:01 AM.
luacstjh98 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2019, 06:56 AM   #2383
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

Likes (Received): 8476

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.XaPxbyWRUSJ

Ten Hokuriku Shinkansen Line trains worth ¥32.8 billion sustain damage after yard is flooded in Typhoon Hagibis

Quote:
Ten trains on the Hokuriku Shinkansen Line connecting Tokyo and Kanazawa, Ishikawa Prefecture, were affected, the company said, adding that it has no idea when operations on the line will be resumed partly because of flooding from the Chikuma River, which flows near the train yard.

The 10 trains, made up of a total of 120 carriages, represent a third of the trains on the line. Eight are owned by JR East and the other two by West Japan Railway Co. (JR West).

For the time being, JR East has decided to operate the line with the remaining trains between Tokyo and Nagano. The trains connecting Kanazawa and Toyama were operating normally Sunday, according to JR West.

Vital functions on the trains, such as brakes, transformers and air conditioning control systems, are installed underneath the train carriages.

Since the rail yard is under water, the trains will have to be moved to a different facility to be repaired.

The trains used on the Hokuriku Shinkansen Line were jointly developed by the two firms. According to JR West’s securities report for the 2014 business year which ended in March 2015, the manufacturing costs for the 120 carriages totaled some ¥32.8 billion.

JR East decided to continue suspending the Yamagata Shinkansen Line all day Sunday. The company resumed services for the Tohoku Shinkansen Line on Sunday afternoon although there was some damage to it due to a landslide. It put the Joetsu Shinkansen Line back into service in the morning.

Central Japan Railway Co. (JR Central), restarted the Tokaido Shinkansen Line from Sunday’s first trains after confirming the safety of facilities such as overhead power cables and signal systems. Trains on the line slowed down on some sections, however, leading to delays in 39 trains and affecting about 37,000 people.

On other lines, JR East said it suspended at least 4,900 train runs in the metropolitan area on Saturday and Sunday, affecting 3.57 million people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2019, 09:17 AM   #2384
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 91889

Quote:
Originally Posted by luacstjh98 View Post
I wonder if this means the E4 retirement schedule will have to be put on hold, so those can serve the Joetsu Shinkansen and free up trainsets for the Hokuriku Shinkansen.

Work should probably be starting to pump water out of the site, as we speak?
Pretty much the whole valley north of Nagano was flooded, it's more important to pump the watee out of residential areas. But waterlevels have already gone down enough in the yard, the trains are not in the water anymore. The surrounding fields are still submerged, although less then on Saturday and Sunday.

It's indeed very likely that retirements will be suspended if these trains will be out of service for a long time.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2019, 02:22 PM   #2385
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

^ looking at the hazard map of Nagano City.. most of the city and surrounding area is flood risk area

https://www.city.nagano.nagano.jp/up...ent/330476.pdf
Old October 16th, 2019, 02:31 PM   #2386
spose

Likes (Received): 205

JR East May Scrap 120 Flooded Shinkansen Cars

Tokyo, Oct. 16 (Jiji Press)--East Japan Railway Co. or JR East, may be forced to scrap all of the 120 cars of its Hokuriku Shinkansen bullet train services that were damaged in flooding caused by Typhoon Hagibis, which ravaged mainly central and eastern Japan over the weekend.
The 19th typhoon this year brought torrential rain, flooding a train yard in Nagano Prefecture, central Japan, and inundating the 120 cars, about one-third of all those used on the Hokuriku Shinkansen Line, which connects Tokyo and Kanazawa, Ishikawa Prefecture, central Japan.
JR East is expected to take some time to restore full operations of its Hokuriku Shinkansen services.
As of Wednesday afternoon, an evacuation order remained in place for the area hosting the train yard. JR East has thus yet to confirm the damage to the train cars.
Although equipment and devices installed in the undercarriages of the train cars are waterproof, it is unknown whether the cars will be able to run safely after being submerged for a long period, sources familiar with the situation said.

Source
spose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 01:05 PM   #2387
espewe
Nobody and nothing.

Likes (Received): 169

So... it's more economical and safe to just scrap the whole thing and make it all new
espewe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 01:29 PM   #2388
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

i guess they will have to buy more E7s as the W7s doesnt seem to be produced anymore.
2 W7s out of the 10 were flooded.
Old October 18th, 2019, 01:39 PM   #2389
luacstjh98

Aren't they functionally identical, just that the W7s have minor differences in interior styling?

Old October 20th, 2019, 06:24 PM   #2390
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 428

Couldn't they lined them on a elevated section of the line? The trains were all cancelled anyway. I think something could have been done. Maybe their predictions was saying this depot would be safe... shame..

stingstingsting, Kunagi liked this post
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 03:31 AM   #2391
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 11780

Slightly simplistic. That assumes that the trains could be easily moved to a new section, that drivers were available prior to end of service to do so and that there wouldn't be a risk from flying debris etc. They probably didn't count on the depot being flooded, but then this was a 1 in 50+ year event so it was hard to predict.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 04:32 AM   #2392
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

assuming the Depot is at 長野総合車両センター

then here is the location based on the hazard map I provided earlier

the left circle is Nagano Station. The right circle is where the depot is at
you can see its at a flood risk area (although some what low, but at far lower risk than Nagano station)

Munwon, stingstingsting liked this post
RyukyuRhymer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 09:59 AM   #2393
stingstingsting
railover

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyukyuRhymer View Post
assuming the Depot is at 長野総合車両センター
No, I believe the depot is located way further north at JR東日本 長野新幹線車両センター It should be around Akanuma, Nagano, 381-0001, Japan 36.702523, 138.273228

The flood map you had provided doesn't cover that far up and I don't have a topographical map either.

It lies between the Asa river and the Chikuma river. There seems to be a levee to the east as well on the Chikuma river bank.

I posit that this means in a once-a-century or once-a-half-century flood event, that area wherein the depot lies would collect the floodwaters.

Considering traditional Japanese flood control designs, water would have backed up starting at the lower end of the levee rather than flowing in fast from the back with the torrent. So it wouldn't be at high velocity. This would have minimised flood damage which explains why the trains haven't really crashed into each other (although some did derail).

However floodwaters are probably meant to collect in that area. So inundation would be a certainty.

I have been wondering in the past week why they had placed the depot in that area. And also if you look at the photos, the Hokuriku shinkansen line itself is quite low beside the depot.

But as usual I wonder a lot about what reasons some Shinkansen routes were chosen, like this one, and there (hopefully) was a good reason why this was chosen.

Sad, such loss. And I do hope JR East reopens the line on December 25 so people can resume their lives and also so I can travel on it next month!

RyukyuRhymer liked this post
stingstingsting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 10:41 AM   #2394
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingstingsting View Post
No, I believe the depot is located way further north at JR東日本 長野新幹線車両センター It should be around Akanuma, Nagano, 381-0001, Japan 36.702523, 138.273228

The flood map you had provided doesn't cover that far up and I don't have a topographical map either.

It lies between the Asa river and the Chikuma river. There seems to be a levee to the east as well on the Chikuma river bank.
thanks! if it is at that location,
here it is on the flood map from Nagano City.
much worser vulnerability to higher levels of flood risk

stingstingsting liked this post
Old October 21st, 2019, 12:46 PM   #2395
luacstjh98

It's probably a land use thing - doesn't look like Japan is a very big fan of oversite development above train depots.

Case in point: the closure of Tamachi depot compared to simply decking it over, with no replacement?

RyukyuRhymer liked this post
Old October 25th, 2019, 09:13 AM   #2396
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20191025_13/

Hokuriku Shinkansen resumes full service

Quote:
The Hokuriku Shinkansen bullet train almost fully resumed services on its entire route on Friday, for the first time in 13 days.

The line connects Tokyo and Kanazawa, a city on the Sea of Japan coast, via Nagano in central Japan.

Services were partially suspended after Typhoon Hagibis battered central Japan earlier this month. Around one third of the trains were inundated when the storm flooded a depot in Nagano.

The first Shinkansen bound for Tokyo left Kanazawa station at 6 a.m. on Friday.

One female passenger said she is looking forward to visiting Tokyo Disneyland with her grandchild. She said she is happy the Shinkansen service has resumed, as taking a detour would require changing trains, which could be tough for people with small children.

The operators say they will run close to 90 percent of trains for the time being.

patel2897, Swede liked this post
Old October 30th, 2019, 06:38 PM   #2397
Bhurki18

Likes (Received): 3

Why are the construction costs of Chuo Shinkansen so high?
At $170M/km, its probably the most expensive rail line ever constructed per unit distance.
Is it because of the tunnelling challenges or is the implementation of scmaglev track so expensive on its own accord?
Bhurki18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2019, 06:39 PM   #2398
Bhurki18

Likes (Received): 3

Error.
Bhurki18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2019, 07:22 AM   #2399
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhurki18 View Post
At $170M/km, its probably the most expensive rail line ever constructed per unit distance.
Is it because of the tunnelling challenges or is the implementation of scmaglev track so expensive on its own accord?
probably both. Its a lot of tunneling involved, and new technology and risks. neither is cheap.
Old October 31st, 2019, 10:04 AM   #2400
Lw25

Likes (Received): 1637

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhurki18 View Post
Bid rigging as well https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Bus...igging-arrests
Lw25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement