Everett/Snohomish County Development News - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2007, 09:15 AM   #81
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Thats because theres no people there...

Lynwood makes the most sense, Big pile of people from Seattle, Everett, and the northern- East side
I agree. Lynnwood is more like retail center city. That made a lot of senses for IKEA to open their second Seattle store there.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2007, 06:34 PM   #82
NW Mike

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Please do not get too excited because this rumor might not true. That is why I asked to see if anyone knows about it.
The reason I asked who told you was because I was wondering if the person that told you, worked there or was in the industry, or if they were someone else that might be guessing. In any matter, it will be Awesome where ever they build. IKEA does so many good things for the community.
I did also hear that IKEA was looking at other locations north in Snoho County. Alderwood would be great, or Marysville. They could draw in many from a larger area. On another note, IKEA of Renton is the third largest in the country, with Atlanta having the largest. There will not be many or any different items in Portland, being that it is quite a bit smaller.
Vancouver BC. has 2 stores and IKEA is a big push in America to expand. Now if you want to see some cool different items in IKEA, then you will have to go to Europe. Ikea is more established there and have a more diverse selection. Some IKEA items in Europe will be on the shelves years before they introduce them here.
IKEA is also opening the West Coast Distribution Center in Pierce county, Just a large warehouse, but it helps with the trickle down effect of business.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:24 AM   #83
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Mike View Post
The reason I asked who told you was because I was wondering if the person that told you, worked there or was in the industry, or if they were someone else that might be guessing. In any matter, it will be Awesome where ever they build. IKEA does so many good things for the community.
I did also hear that IKEA was looking at other locations north in Snoho County. Alderwood would be great, or Marysville. They could draw in many from a larger area. On another note, IKEA of Renton is the third largest in the country, with Atlanta having the largest. There will not be many or any different items in Portland, being that it is quite a bit smaller.
Vancouver BC. has 2 stores and IKEA is a big push in America to expand. Now if you want to see some cool different items in IKEA, then you will have to go to Europe. Ikea is more established there and have a more diverse selection. Some IKEA items in Europe will be on the shelves years before they introduce them here.
IKEA is also opening the West Coast Distribution Center in Pierce county, Just a large warehouse, but it helps with the trickle down effect of business.
That person who told me work for me as my interpreter. I asked that person where did that person got the information from. The person said they heard it from another people. It is rumor to me then. Again I just want to see if it is true or not.

Interesting information about IKEA. When I lived in Los Angeles metro area... IKEA built huge Distribution Center (over 1.4 million sq.ft.) in about thirty minutes north of Bakersfield.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2007, 01:09 AM   #84
sequoias

Likes (Received): 18

I do hope they will build IKEA around up north, so it will be a short drive to the store to get a few things.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 09:27 PM   #85
USAPatriot
Northwest Photo King

Likes (Received): 166

I remember hearing long ago, maybe half a year or so, that the old Lynnwood High School was going to be torn down and replaced by high-rise condos and a urban plaza that connects to the Alderwood Mall. Multistory living and shops on ground level.
I live in Lynnwood, and I remember hearing this, or reading is somewhere. I'll try and dig up more on what I can find.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:16 AM   #86
taiwanesedrummer36

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAPatriot View Post
I remember hearing long ago, maybe half a year or so, that the old Lynnwood High School was going to be torn down and replaced by high-rise condos and a urban plaza that connects to the Alderwood Mall. Multistory living and shops on ground level.
I live in Lynnwood, and I remember hearing this, or reading is somewhere. I'll try and dig up more on what I can find.
You probably read it in the Herald of Everett newspaper. I remember quite well: they said a Cypress Development Co. of Dallas, TX (or something), was planning an upscale urban center on the high school site, but I think plans were put on hold either because of traffic concerns or the developer chickened out.
taiwanesedrummer36 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 09:26 AM   #87
USAPatriot
Northwest Photo King

I'd prefer those plans over a new parking lot with a building on it.
Lynnwood needs to start building high-rises some time, ya know?
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #88
USAPatriot
Northwest Photo King

New Mill Creek photos added at new condo progress and almost complete downtown.

Click mini image.
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #89
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

^
Yeah I was at that new Mill Creek development earlier in the year. It's pretty interesting.
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #90
taiwanesedrummer36

BREAKING NEWS!

Today in the Everett Herald, there was an article about the undeveloped space at the intersection of the Mukilteo Speedway and Paine Field Blvd. If you have driven past that area, you have probably wondered about that space or seen the small advertising sign. Well apparently, the area was originally proposed to be a Safeway, but now the city and the developer want to build a urban village, similar to the Mill Creek Town Center, but really smaller. The city also hopes the county-owned land between the Speedway and Paine Field will also be developed, creating what I can only call a "super" urban village. Retail shops, condos, and a hotel are planned. Does anyone know anything else? I can't wait when its completed!
Old September 18th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #91
citruspastels

Likes (Received): 3

mill creek looks nice, thanks for the photos!
citruspastels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #92
arbeiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwanesedrummer36 View Post
A new IKEA? That would be awesome! I recently went to the new IKEA in Portland, Oregon, and it was awesome! The selection was much better than the Seattle/Renton one and not to mention the building wasn't as ghetto as the Seattle/Renton one. With the great potential that an Lynnwood/Alderwood IKEA would have, I am so exicted. I think i'm getting my hopes up too quickly. The only problem I can think of is traffic. Traffic is already horrible in the vicinity of Alderwood, and an IKEA could probably triple the traffic there. But still,

IKEA FOR ALDERWOOD!
Can you stop saying the word "ghetto" in every other response?
arbeiter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #93
taiwanesedrummer36

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
Can you stop saying the word "ghetto" in every other response?
Fine:

The Seattle/Renton IKEA has a bad design because they built it out of a warehouse, but the Portland IKEA has a more modern and sleeker design, plus with an urban appeal.
Old September 21st, 2007, 03:35 AM   #94
arbeiter

Thanks. I am not trying to be a bitch, but it just seems that that word is used to describe everything, and we all know that a true ghetto hardly exists anywhere in Seattle metro.

As far as IKEA's designs, well, the most we could hope for is something like what happened in Houston - building a new one in the parking lot. The renton IKEA isn't that bad compared to some of the older ones in Europe - compared to almost any American one, some of the ones I've been to in northern England look pretty sad.
arbeiter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:04 AM   #95
sequoias

sheesh, its all about function! it doesn't look bad to me, its just a old warehouse converted to ikea. they got the good use of it instead of wasting millions to replace with a building. it is very busy and gets lot of congestions during the weekends!
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:07 AM   #96
taiwanesedrummer36

It's okay.

The city of Everett recently approved a new plaza in front of the Everett Performing Arts Center. A new plaza is great, but a plaza that is next to a dirty alley seems kind of dirty and disgusting, especially with North/Downtown Everett's "bad" looks. The city should instead build some sort of promenade along Hewitt or a north-south street(s), or a plaza occuping an entire block. Some great ideas include Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square, Seattle's Westlake Center, or other Portland parks. We need to add more green in Everett. All I see now is mostly black wires and gray, "boring"-colored buildings.

Also, Snohomish County is considering putting an "ultimate-capacity" rule on many arterials throughout the county. The reason i'm saying this is are they out of their F***ING MINDS? If you have travelled on 164th or 128th Streets, you already know how bad traffic is, and synchronized signals do not help. In fact, they make traffic worse. The only logical option is WIDENING, WIDENING, WIDENING! Who cares if we destroy a few houses? More will pop up all over the place. In fact, all county arterials should be seven lanes wide, at a MINIMUM!
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:14 AM   #97
sequoias

*scoffs* I go thru downtown everett area hundred of times and its not bad look, all it needs more trees and more density. I work near downtown everett. why are you always so negative on little things about here? if you want see bad, go to the ghettos of chicago or los angeles.
Old September 21st, 2007, 12:12 PM   #98
taiwanesedrummer36

All i'm saying is Downtown Everett has a lot of potential, and we need to take advantage of that NOW before it's too late or some crap happens.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 02:13 AM   #99
USAPatriot
Northwest Photo King

Both Everett and Lynnwood need to step up immediatley and start building higher density now. Hurry before it's too late.
Buildand people will come. It's as simple as that...except the money issue.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 02:56 AM   #100
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 3872

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwanesedrummer36 View Post
It's okay.

Also, Snohomish County is considering putting an "ultimate-capacity" rule on many arterials throughout the county. The reason i'm saying this is are they out of their F***ING MINDS? If you have travelled on 164th or 128th Streets, you already know how bad traffic is, and synchronized signals do not help. In fact, they make traffic worse. The only logical option is WIDENING, WIDENING, WIDENING! Who cares if we destroy a few houses? More will pop up all over the place. In fact, all county arterials should be seven lanes wide, at a MINIMUM!
So basically you want SnoHoCo to be my personal version of hell? And have it run counter to every ethic we have about responsible growth?
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement