California's Best And Worst Mid-Sized City Downtowns - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID, BC
» Development News | Albuquerque | Las Vegas | Los Angeles | San Francisco Bay Area | Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 18th, 2009, 04:11 AM   #61
rst22

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by qymekkam View Post
you cant compare visalia with fresno. fresno is better its just that you guys only go ti the bad parts of downtown
Fresno's best area is the Tower District. It just has a lousy DTWN.
rst22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2009, 05:36 AM   #62
GintongPinoy
Baydestrian

Likes (Received): 1

Although Downtown Oakland isn't big, and has the big filling in terms of crowds. I wish it would, but Downtown Oakland is opening up a lot of bars, restaurants, and whatnot which is a step closer to DTO's vision to revitalization. Not to be a city-homeboy kind of fan, but I think Downtown Oakland is good for it's current situation, but I hope things change.
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #63
Phriggin' Ogre
American't

Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Likes (Received): 2494

I agree with the list, theres nothing to see in downtown San Bernardino except shady hookers.
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:15 AM   #64
OneMetropolis
99.9%-Urban .1%-Me

San Diego's downtown is not that great. I'd say Downtown Los Angeles deserves to be compared with San Francisco.
OneMetropolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:11 AM   #65
JoshuaSantos
thesanjoseblog.com

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMetropolis View Post
San Diego's downtown is not that great. I'd say Downtown Los Angeles deserves to be compared with San Francisco.
Downtown LA has excellent height, but when you look down at the street activity, it just doesn't compare well to San Diego... not yet anyway. They're working on it though, and LA is a city where things can change pretty quickly. As for SF vs. downtown LA, they're not even at the same level if you're looking at anything besides the buildings themselves. You'll see vibrant 24/7 activity in SF... not so much in LA.
JoshuaSantos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:29 AM   #66
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Likes (Received): 40

I will admit, Downtown Sacramento could use some work. Right now, Midtown is where everything is (Second Saturday, the bars, restaurants, art galleries, etc). However, I think downtown could turn into a much larger center for bustling people if A) the proposed "old" trolley thing is put in place, adding a historic touch to things, B) if J Street tears down the old decrepit two stories and make things denser, C) if Capitol Mall gets some another tall or two, especially the new parking lot on top of the old Lot A, and D) if perhaps one or two of the underused parking garages downtown were turned into something else. Downtown has a lot of potential, and a lot is happening in terms of making it better. Everything from the Big Fix to the Crocker expansion is helping, and I know my city needs it. After all, we are California's capitol and fourth city.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:35 AM   #67
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcsr11 View Post
wow, those pictures of Fresno were depressing, but wait til you see it in person, believe it or not, it gets much worse, when your driving down highway 99 you can barely see it, I think downtown Visalia is a bit better and its tallest are 6,8 and 9 story buildings
depressing. does this look depressing

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

nick.english.dept liked this post

Last edited by qymekkam; March 24th, 2009 at 03:42 AM.
qymekkam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:45 AM   #68
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Likes (Received): 40

It doesn't look depressing, per se. Looks lifeless to me, except for that first image, although that's pretty empty for a baseball game. Probably because so many people left after the Rivercats beat ya'.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:08 AM   #69
JoshuaSantos
thesanjoseblog.com

Yes, it looks pretty depressing. On a side note... downtown Fresno is the only place outside of Mexico where someone tried to sell me gold on the street. To prove it was real gold he pulled out a lighter and started burning it... that was my first and last time in downtown Fresno.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:16 AM   #70
GTR22
お好み焼き!

Wheres all the people?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:25 PM   #71
OneMetropolis
99.9%-Urban .1%-Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaSantos View Post
Downtown LA has excellent height, but when you look down at the street activity, it just doesn't compare well to San Diego... not yet anyway. They're working on it though, and LA is a city where things can change pretty quickly. As for SF vs. downtown LA, they're not even at the same level if you're looking at anything besides the buildings themselves. You'll see vibrant 24/7 activity in SF... not so much in LA.
great post. I have to agree.
OneMetropolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:34 AM   #72
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

Quote:
Yes, it looks pretty depressing. On a side note... downtown Fresno is the only place outside of Mexico where someone tried to sell me gold on the street. To prove it was real gold he pulled out a lighter and started burning it... that was my first and last time in downtown Fresno.
lol to prove its real he burned it. if it was real what did he do with the liquid gold he had
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:43 AM   #73
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
It doesn't look depressing, per se. Looks lifeless to me, except for that first image, although that's pretty empty for a baseball game. Probably because so many people left after the Rivercats beat ya'.
the stadium is full in the fourth pic
Old March 24th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #74
JoshuaSantos
thesanjoseblog.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by qymekkam View Post
lol to prove its real he burned it. if it was real what did he do with the liquid gold he had
I think (can't say for sure), but I think he was trying to prove that it wasn't some fake gold because the flame would turn a different color... or maybe that the gold is just paint and you would see something silver after burning it. Really, I have no clue and this guy scared the crap out of me. It was the ghettoest thing I have ever seen...
Old April 13th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #75
GintongPinoy
Baydestrian

The ratings are based towards the size of the downtown, and I don't think activity is relevant to that rating.

You call this small? It's pretty mid-size to me. Not the biggest, but it's getting there. The
activities are kicking up though, thanks to the opening up numerous businesses in Uptown.

nick.english.dept liked this post
GintongPinoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #76
veryprotourism
registered boozer

i can't believe anyone is praising santa rosa.

it looks from the photos to be an office park with a nice little commercial strip.

never personally been there, but based on the photos alone i'll take fresno over that crap any day.

san luis obispo looks sweet though.
veryprotourism no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #77
SDfan

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMetropolis View Post
You're such a downer...I'm tempted to ask if you've even been downtown (sd).

SF wins...if it was mid-sized...
Old April 16th, 2009, 02:54 AM   #78
JoshuaSantos
thesanjoseblog.com

I went to downtown Santa Rosa not to long ago, and it was actually pretty nice. A lot of great restaurants, Macy's, some nice parks and shops. It is larger than what I was expecting... several blocks in each direction. Unless Fresno has drastically changed over the last few years, I don't see how you could choose Fresno (unless you're a ghetto thug and that's your scene).

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryprotourism View Post

it looks from the photos to be an office park with a nice little commercial strip.

never personally been there, but based on the photos alone i'll take fresno over that crap any day.

Old May 21st, 2009, 04:36 AM   #79
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryprotourism View Post

ill take that as a compliment to Fresno
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:39 AM   #80
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

Quote:
I went to downtown Santa Rosa not to long ago, and it was actually pretty nice. A lot of great restaurants, Macy's, some nice parks and shops. It is larger than what I was expecting... several blocks in each direction. Unless Fresno has drastically changed over the last few years, I don't see how you could choose Fresno (unless you're a ghetto thug and that's your scene).
so what your saying is im a ghetto thug
Advertisement