Riga photo collection place by place - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General discussions > Photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #21
ristov

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais Sakarnis View Post
Really?? Tallinn hasn't diversity of "black" and "white" areas? F.e., Kopli area and Old Town? Vilnius hasn't? I think, it's very common for all Baltic states.
well, my opinion was little bit arbitrary other baltic towns have contrasts too, but not so interesting.
and i agree with you that riga has right now too many "black areas".

this summer i'd like to see districts of south riga.

Last edited by ristov; April 18th, 2008 at 10:23 AM.
ristov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #22
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alauda View Post
Nice pictures of Pļavnieki. Picture number 8 makes an impression, that commieblocks are surrounded by long grey wall like some kind of ghetto. However, the price of m2 in such commieblocks is about 2000 Euro. You won't believe it.
At least along with Imanta or Purvciems this districts are quiet safe even at night. You could walk in historical Tornakalns or Agenskalns at night, in many places it dangerous and annoying. Freakin criminals around, drunks and druggers. No wonder people are happy to run away from my district (Tornakalns) to "depressive" Plavnieki or Imanta.
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #23
Geborgenheit
***H***

Likes (Received): 12601

Alex, you have a point. Indeed, Tornakalns doesn't look very safe. And Agenskalns too.
Geborgenheit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #24
Jarmo K
3:36

Likes (Received): 425

^whaaaaaaat?!

last saturday AT NIGHT i strolled ALONE all through tornakalns and agenskalns and i never saw anything suspicious or dangerous... both of these districts seemed very calm and cute...

(or maybe i was just lucky?!)

(or maybe... i'm just too much fond of those "dirty areas" - i even quite enjoyed zolitude and imanta )
Old April 19th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #25
Geborgenheit
***H***

Hi, Jarmo! Yeah, those districts are indeed very calm, but ,you know, it means, there are less witnesses.
Nice to know, you visited so many Riga's districts. How did you get there and what are your impressions ?
Old April 20th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #26
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 2802

Looking at the last series of pics in this thread, I feel like in Tallinn, because we have the exact same areas: old soviet industrial buildings next to commieblocks and newer warehouses.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #27
Jarmo K
3:36

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alauda View Post

Hi, Jarmo! Yeah, those districts are indeed very calm, but ,you know, it means, there are less witnesses.
Nice to know, you visited so many Riga's districts. How did you get there and what are your impressions ?
hi, alauda! (:

we had a little excursion in riga - the students of estonian academy of arts [though i'm not a student there, not yet]. we met janis krastinš and anita anteniske, with whom we were driven around in various parts of riga. we were shown quite a lot of contemporary latvian architecture, especially the buildings by ugis šenbergs damn, what an "artist" he is hahaha!

this was my [i think] 6th time in riga. i've already seen all the old town + central area, i always try to look for the more gritty parts of town, they're always more interesting, more real and not so touristy (:

quite an interesting thing: the more i see [the "ugly" parts of] riga, the more i love it!
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #28
Geborgenheit
***H***

Tere, Jarmo,
Academy of arts should be a great place. Wish you luck in your studies!
It's wonderful, that there is a cooperation between Estonians and Latvians and such excursions.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:54 AM   #29
Vecais Sakarnis

Likes (Received): 764

Hello, finally the spring has come in Latvia, I try to use every sunny day for picture taking, so it's time to explore the 3rd place of Riga in this thread - most pictures from 2 days in last week, one sunny, other cloudy day. This time it will be a titbit - approx. 2,5 km of Barona street, one of the most lively and main arterial streets in Riga centre, as you see in the map:

previously shown areas

active exploration zone

1. We start with one older picture from 2005, which shows the one end of Barona street, where it connects with Old Town and becomes Audēju street:

3. Buildings on the opposite side of Verman park - last year's picture.

4. Elizabetes & Barona street crossing, another one from 2007:

5. Now, new pictures. This is A. Kalnina street - only some 200 metres long street perpendicular to Barona street, it connects Barona and Marijas streets

6. Hotel building on the corner:

7. Members of Hare Krishna movement made procession that day, walking on the Barona street and singing Hare Krishna, Hare Rama:

8. Here you can appreciate the amount of people on Barona street - of course, it's not Tokyo or New York, but people are enough to annoy a photographer who wants to take a pictures of architecture (however cars are much more annoying), and also enough to make happy a photographer who wants to show the city's vibrant side:

9. I wasn't the only one who took pictures of Barona street - 2 girls had the same idea:

10. Trying to get the best angles... But what's so interesting there?

11. Here comes the answer:

12. Another one mark of Barona street - hundreds of shops' signs. Barona street is one of the main shopping streets in Riga.

13. One of the posh class architecture examples, especially beautiful are those two gryphons on the top, imo:

14. Another one "mini-street" - Pērses street. Here you see how the Soviets managed to ruin even places in the centre of Riga - notice that ugly monster on the right:

16. Barona street is interesting also because of various levels of the height of buildings - 6-7 floor masonry giants mixed up with 2-3 floor wooden houses. This is noticeable also in other streets in Riga centre, but especially in Barona street:

17. Beautiful place where to sit down and rest:

18. Tram route on the Barona street in the next years will be the first in Riga where old trams will be replaced with new low-floor trams:

19. This is view to Blaumaņa street - I couldn't resist to post it

22. Two grand streets meets one another - Barona & Lāčplēša street crossing

25. Some modern accents - this is "Barona center", supermarket:

26. People who tried to set up Rubik's cube sitting in the middle of the busy street's pavement!

27. One of Barona streets' courtyards. Old meets new. I have passion to Riga courtyards - many of them are so charming.. You suddenly arrive in the completely different world:

29. Cafe's and bars by the side. Double Coffee is latvian coffee house company, which has 21 coffee houses in Riga, 8 in Vilnius, 5 in Tallinn, 5 in Kiev and 1 in Minsk. It is called as "the Baltic's answer to Starbuck's" by the "Business Week" magazine.

30. Great building above it:

32. Barona street could be the most-wooden street in central Riga, here is even small wooden section, where several wooden buildings located the side

40. Another one interesting courtyard:

45. Gerken's shopping centre - low-cost shopping. Gerkens was one of the first well-known millionaires in Latvia in nineties. He comes himself from the working class, and as a tradesman he started provide products for those who can't afford to go to Armani or Benetton.

46. We go further, to the eastern end of Barona street - shops, cars and people here are much fewer, the atmosphere more calm.

48. This is the place where Rotermani builds whole new section - until last Christmas here stood Sport Palace. Now the works is going to construct here entertainment, shopping & living etc. city's block.

50. When looking at these houses I start wondering - why so few buildings are in green color?

54. At last picture my cam accu discharged and I couldn't finish my tour of Barona street - some 700 metres remained for other time. But I will show you one my older picture of Barona street end with the impressive orthodox church in the background:

Vecais Sakarnis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM   #30
Gatis

Likes (Received): 591

Love Barona Street - this street and also the parralell Terbatas Street are the essence of Central Riga!
Thanks for your effort!
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:29 PM   #31
ristov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais Sakarnis View Post
27. One of Barona streets' courtyards. Old meets new. I have passion to Riga courtyards - many of them are so charming.. You suddenly arrive in the completely different world:

you're my soulmate!

when i go to riga, we should meet and have some long-long trips there
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:36 PM   #32
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 312

Fabulous! Riga is so great! and those people on the street, with the rubiks cube, FANTASTIC! I would join them.
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:28 PM   #33
Jedrzej

Likes (Received): 1865

Very interesting. Riga looks really like a big City After maybe 10 years it will be one of the most visited cities in Europe, also because of nature sourrounding city (I know it from phots form 1 picture from Latvia per day )
I see some differences between development in Riga and in my city, Kraków. In early 90's we started to renovate streets and exchanging trams, but we didnt renovate townhouses on a mass scale, so now we have more or less all streets renovated and more than 60% of low floor trams, but only around 40% of townhouses are renovated (but more or less all on the Old Town). I see that in Riga you don't renovate streets and don't exchange trams, but you renovate townhouses. IMO it's better way
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:03 PM   #34
Gatis

Likes (Received): 591

Quote:
I see some differences between development in Riga and in my city, Kraków. In early 90's we started to renovate streets and exchanging trams, but we didnt renovate townhouses on a mass scale, so now we have more or less all streets renovated and more than 60% of low floor trams, but only around 40% of townhouses are renovated (but more or less all on the Old Town). I see that in Riga you don't renovate streets and don't exchange trams, but you renovate townhouses. IMO it's better way
Who knows? We can't exactly say that we renovated houses en masse, many are renovated but even more aren't. But one is true - there is more done regarding houses than regarding streets. SOme large scale renovation of inner-city streets might start only next year, when exactly in this street (K. Barona Street) should start serious rebuilding. Then A. Caka street which runs in parralell will be started. But to renovate all central streets properly... then we should have some 10 billion EUR budget, then may be in 10 years.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:53 PM   #35
raz

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrzej View Post
Very interesting. Riga looks really like a big City After maybe 10 years it will be one of the most visited cities in Europe, also because of nature sourrounding city (I know it from phots form 1 picture from Latvia per day )
Most of the renovated houses you see in the pictures are owned by private citizens or companies. Very few of the old buildings are owned by the municipality. Everybody who could prove that they are heirs to the houses nationalized before 1940 had right to restore their rights of ownership to the buildings.

Actually, when I was in Wroclaw and Katowice I was surprised at the terrible condition of the pre-war apartment buildings, but now I think that it's a pretty obvious outcome of state ownership.
raz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:16 PM   #36
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 7621

Great work as always mate!

About picture 44 - I though all cigaret commercials were banned in the EU
FREKI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:39 PM   #37
Nġgesh

Riga earns being the capital of the Baltics! Those grand buildings
Nġgesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:54 PM   #38
Janis_LV
Janis_LV

Likes (Received): 0

What a thread. Even if I know every corner of that street, it is still so interesting to see it. Though IMO Čaka/Marijas strees are the Quintessential Riga. Just that Čaka street needs major facelift, they must do something with the traffic, noise and pollution there. I also think that in the name of future, they need to make the street more narrow and plant trees along it. I don't envy the people that had to live there, but yes - since the very beginnings the street symbolizes the urban essence of the city. So next time Čaka street pleaase And yes - whenever it is possible, try to make pictures of the street and corners from the upper floors it shows everything in completely different perspective.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:17 AM   #39
Vecais Sakarnis

Likes (Received): 764

Thanks everyone for response!
@ristov - we surely can do that! (just in weekends I'm rarely in Riga)
@Janis_LV - oh, yes, it could be interesting, I also like the perspectives from above. Just there are few places where you can get that. But, about the place order in this thread - it is very random. I roll the dice to choose the next street/area from 6 or 3 candidates (trying to play something similar like in "Diceman", if you have seen that programme on "Discovery Travel & Living"). And I try to mix here different places of Riga - the aim is to gradually make comprehensive picture collection from the whole city, showing it as it is.
Vecais Sakarnis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:20 AM   #40
ristov

maybe you should open special website, because good pictures disappear here due new threads and so on.
and i haven't found site about riga which shows it as it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
map, riga, suburbs