BELLEVUE | Spring District - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #101
bgwah
honk!!!

Likes (Received): 746

Well, I did say arguably, didn't I?

I think it's definitely true for East Link though. The other stations on the line are already developed or developing or have no potential.
bgwah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #102
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 383

We're completely fooling ourselves if we believe this combination of land-use regulations and mass transit construction comes anywhere near a "big city" model. Sure, if we permitted a forest of high-rise (I mean 50 story high-rises) living towers within a fifteen minute walk of the transit stations, then we'd be doing something. But spending BILLIONS for rail and then putting in basically a suburban apartment sprawl and strip malls is a joke. They won't even have a measurable impact on ridership. And people will continue to turn left or fall asleep on the tracks until we finish the do-over. Okay, I did manage to shut up about this for a year. I'll go away again.
RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #103
seapug

Likes (Received): 200

Except they're not building strip malls and suburban apartment sprawl. Suburban apartment sprawl is two-three story apartments with at least 1 surface parking space per unit. What we're building around our stations is four - twelve story apartments with underground parking. Sure I'd love to see high rises but you can get densities that are very respectable with low to mid rise apartments, just look at D.C. and San Francisco. 2,000 units on 30 acres is a respectable density, and it's only 1 of 3 big projects planned for the bel-red corridor. I'm with M on this, I see a lot of opportunity around the stations. No one ever said it would happen over night either.
seapug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #104
bgwah
honk!!!

Likes (Received): 746

There's no reason it has to be this way. It's our own fault we keep taking short cuts, from the surface rail through Southeast Seattle to the horrible routing through South Bellevue and the freeway stations with no TOD potential in North Seattle and beyond. And where we could probably have high-density development, like Capitol Hill or Roosevelt, NIMBY opposition would prevent it. It's all very disappointing.

Doomgoggles liked this post
bgwah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #105
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgwah View Post
There's no reason it has to be this way. It's our own fault we keep taking short cuts, from the surface rail through Southeast Seattle to the horrible routing through South Bellevue and the freeway stations with no TOD potential in North Seattle and beyond. And where we could probably have high-density development, like Capitol Hill or Roosevelt, NIMBY opposition would prevent it. It's all very disappointing.
Sure they've made some bad choices. I'll say it's a live and learn (at great expense). I understand the reasoning behind surface through Rainier Valley and hope others do and realize this was not a political, ecumenical, or racial (even) decision.

To be honest, the biggest design mistake and expense I've seen thus far is the addition of a 3rd entrance at the Capitol Hill Station. I have NOT crunched the numbers, but eliminating that entrance would probably opened enough money to extend south to Federal Way. There's no need for it or the tunnel to connect to the station. Such would make more sense if Broadway were such a difficult street to traverse as the next station entrance is about 50 steps away. Just silly.
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #106
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 3858

I assume you're be facetious about extending to Federal Way at that price.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #107
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I assume you're be facetious about extending to Federal Way at that price.
Not necessarily.

Construction to 200th (funded), in planning to Highline (partially funded). Next station is Star Lake and that whole extent is above grade. Probably not enough to do the full thing, but certainly is money better spent to capture more riders rather than providing a rain free street crossing.
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #108
seapug

Likes (Received): 200

I'm gonna have to disagree. It's not about a rain free street crossing. It's about allowing people to connect quickly. Waiting two minutes at a crosswalk could mean being late to work or missing a connection with a bus.
seapug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #109
RMacherat
Buy used books

We will always be flummoxed by numbers. It is hopeless.
Old November 18th, 2013, 02:47 AM   #110
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 3858

I don't know what the tunnel costs, but it's a tiny fraction of the cost of Federal Way.

And I agree that the tunnel is about speed, in addition to rain. Being a little closer to 10,000 students at SCCC seems worth it.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 12:35 AM   #111
DawgFan

Likes (Received): 745

Kind of a deceiving headline. The city wants affordable housing but not necessarily part of the Spring District.

http://crosscut.com/2014/07/17/urban...k-affordable-/
DawgFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #112
DawgFan

Likes (Received): 745

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/b...start-for.html
DawgFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 09:48 AM   #113
RMacherat
Buy used books

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgFan View Post
Nice to see they're planning for some height variety in the Spring District.
Old February 20th, 2015, 02:30 AM   #114
Arch_Angel 753

Likes (Received): 373

I haven't had a chance to drive by this project, is it underway or are they just clearing land at this point? Just curious of the status, as this is a MAJOR project! Very cool stuff coming down the pipeline in the next few years...
Arch_Angel 753 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 03:07 AM   #115
art5617

Likes (Received): 333

Live webcam:
http://www.wrightrunstad.com/propert...on-webcam.aspx

Not much activity.
art5617 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 01:17 AM   #116
12th man

Likes (Received): 637

Never expected this but a good ideal overall.
http://m.bizjournals.com/seattle/blo...-new-tech.html
Old March 12th, 2015, 01:26 AM   #117
LCIII

Likes (Received): 3092

Interesting. I'd rather see them stay in the U District with this pending upzone. Plenty of room in their own neighborhood. Harvard's version of this, the Harvard Innovation Lab is right here on the edge of the HBS campus and the close, walkable proximity of it makes it much more useable for students and recent grads who already live in the area.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 01:34 AM   #118
12th man

Likes (Received): 637

I think they're concerned about the protest to the upzone. That'd be my guess.
Old March 12th, 2015, 02:31 AM   #119
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 6670

I can see the logic in having this particular graduate school set amidst the largest concentration of tech firms in the state, although I too think being set in the University District might help jumpstart more quality development.
Capitol Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 02:39 AM   #120
LCIII

Likes (Received): 3092

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12th man View Post
I think they're concerned about the protest to the upzone. That'd be my guess.
I'd bet a huge sum of money that behind closed doors they give zero ****s about protests to the upzone. UW owns that neighborhood and NIMBYs aren't going to get in their way.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement