Blackfriars Circus | Southwark | 93m | 27 fl - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2014, 10:12 AM   #61
Storeys
Hello

Likes (Received): 1007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
i should be clearer! this is the older shitty design. what i mean is that there are relatively few changes to the development but it looks amazing now. you can see (i hope) how that little retouching on the drawing board can make a huge difference.
I see now!
Storeys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 30th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #62
derekhales
Sir Derek "Killer" Hales

Likes (Received): 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Because more and more of these buildings are being mindlessly demolished and we are repeating history.
What?
derekhales no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 04:00 AM   #63
Jimmy Mack
@ldnskyscrapers

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rising View Post
I get the feeling some people are confused over which is the new/ old design.

This is the new design.

This is the old design that is not being built.

Phew!

Brucey7, Mr Cladding liked this post
Jimmy Mack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #64
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 76495

This has been approved by Southwark Council.
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #65
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13327

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
This has been approved by Southwark Council.
Excellent.

Assuming this is built, could we see a cluster forming around St George's Circus?

The area is ripe for redevelopment.
Old December 28th, 2014, 11:30 PM   #66
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 76495

Southwark Council consider this locale an area in which new, high density, mixed use development is to be encouraged, so why not!
Old December 28th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #67
Retro Specs

Likes (Received): 3561

The Blackfriars Road masterplan called for a landmark building near here. One potential site it indicates for this was above the Bakerloo line sidings in a kind of Hudson Yards over tracks development. Given the cost of doing this it's likely that the building would have to be very high, and probably multiple high buildings.

potto liked this post
Retro Specs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #68
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 14248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Specs View Post
The Blackfriars Road masterplan called for a landmark building near here. One potential site it indicates for this was above the Bakerloo line sidings in a kind of Hudson Yards over tracks development. Given the cost of doing this it's likely that the building would have to be very high, and probably multiple high buildings.
I can't remember if I read this somewhere credible, or if it was just some forum dreaming, but wasn't there the prospect of the Bakerloo extension resulting in a new southern depot, freeing this land up?

London construction photos: • by area/project • by year
Urban Showcase: • Valletta • Ljubljana • Funchal • Lisbon • Lanzarote •• Orkney • Bristol • England's West Country • London
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 07:13 AM   #69
Retro Specs

Likes (Received): 3561

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekeiretsu View Post
I can't remember if I read this somewhere credible, or if it was just some forum dreaming, but wasn't there the prospect of the Bakerloo extension resulting in a new southern depot, freeing this land up?
I also thought I remembered that, but wasn't certain. It could have also been just speculation, but I would guess it would make a lot of sense if an extension did take place to do this.
Old December 30th, 2014, 01:40 AM   #70
Ceri S

Likes (Received): 628

Hi: my wife's office is yards from this site. As sort-of-locals of many years standing we're intensely pleased with this particular project, which looks as if it will easily out-class some of the other recent additions to the area (the dismal new Hampton-by-Hilton hotel in Waterloo Bridge Road, for example).

I very much echo the view that it's fascinating how much improvement small adjustments in detailing have made to the original proposal; the set-backs and the cut out corners. It's refreshing when changes are for the better, though the loss in height is a shame, visually.

Although...:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
No tears will be shed when those buildings go.
It feels perverse to say it, but I've long quite liked the right-hand of the two blocks here:

Quote:
Of it's kind and period I find it at the acceptable end of the spectrum. With a generous refurbishment (which of course it would never get) I can live with it more easily than much else of the sort.

Still, it's true: no tears will be shed. I look forward to contributing photos of the demolition.

Core Rising, iamtheSTIG, Brucey7, potto liked this post
Ceri S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2014, 03:10 AM   #71
stevekeiretsu

Yeah, I quite agree about that block. The one thing that tips the scales towards me being un-bothered by its demise is how utterly it ignores the shape of the circus

Urban Showcase: • Valletta • Ljubljana • Funchal • Lisbon • Lanzarote •• Orkney • Bristol • England's West Country • London

SE9 liked this post
Old December 30th, 2014, 06:21 AM   #72
ThatOneGuy
Real Horrorshow

You shouldn't feel perverse to say that, it's a nice building. Just replace those messed up glass panels and give it a scrub and it's good as new
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2014, 08:11 AM   #73
gravesVpelli

Likes (Received): 5211

I'm afraid I prefer a building that displays verticality rather than horizontality, which this non-descript building does. There are far too many of these stretched, boring slabs in London for my liking. The replacement improves it 1000%. Let's hope no further adjustments are made to degrade the proposal. Addressing the circus with a curved building is going in the right direction. Pity they could not have achieved this for the remaining (south) blocks of Westferry Circus.
gravesVpelli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #74
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3496

Quote:
That might have been my musings on the extension thread (I suggest building a new depot on the Old Kent Road gasworks site before rafting it over like Westfield Shepherds Bush).

What is for sure is if / when the Bakerloo is extended, there will need to be a new depot presumably at the southern end as stabling capacity is already filled as it is.

There would be value to retaining London Road regardless, but this could be easily outweighed by a fat cheque for the site. I presume there's a limit to the load that a raft can bear, certainly would restrict how densely the site could be developed?

There's no definite site for a southern depot at this stage of consultation as the route hasn't been settled upon yet. Grove Park would make sense if the Bromley North Branch is taken over.

stevekeiretsu liked this post
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2014, 12:18 PM   #75
Ceri S

Likes (Received): 628

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
You shouldn't feel perverse to say that, it's a nice building. Just replace those messed up glass panels and give it a scrub and it's good as new
I'm trying to work out why I like it better than others of its sort, which, as gravesVpelli says, we have too much of in London. Oddly, I think that vertical break on the narrow street end does something helpful for it, creating sort of modernist bay windows, which feels quite nice. Also, the glazing set back from the horizontal concrete bands. A bit like New Zealand House, it's hardly marvellous, but somehow better than its ilk.

In the '80s I used to ride past it every day on the 63 bus. I think it might have been BT offices in those days, or maybe I'm misremembering, but it was just as grubby and unloved then as now. I used to fantasise about cleaning it up, reglazing, and converting it to huge, loft-style open-plan apartments, ideally just one or two per floor.

Well, that was when London floor space was fa-a-ar cheaper - and it was just idle day-dreaming...

...But to be sure, the new scheme is vastly preferable, in all the ways people have mentioned. Onward and upward!
Ceri S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 06:19 PM   #76
Tubeman
Jubilation

The old routemaster bus (painted white) which has stood behind the hoardings on the St Georges Circus side of the site for years has just disappeared... There's a mangled, burned-out thing there now... I can't tell if it's what was the bus or something else.
Old May 11th, 2015, 08:22 AM   #77
Storeys
Hello

Likes (Received): 1007

From London-se1.co.uk http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/8251

New name.....

Quote:
A controversial 27-storey development at the southern end of Blackfrars Road has been given the name 'Blackfriars Circus' by developer Barratt...

...Erlang House – until recently used as artists' studios – is now empty and new Barratt-branded hoardings have appeared around the site. According to the Barratt website, homes in the scheme will go on sale in autumn this year with anticipated prices from £450,000 to £1.8 million.
Storeys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 07:29 PM   #78
Tubeman
Jubilation

New hoardings have appeared around the site this week with 'Site acquired by Barratt' on them... so that's progress
Old May 21st, 2015, 07:29 PM   #79
Tubeman
Jubilation

Oh... just spotted Storeys' post!
Old June 19th, 2015, 12:26 AM   #80
stevekeiretsu

Demo underway

128-150 Blackfriars Road pre-demo by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

128-150 Blackfriars Road demolition by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
128, 150, blackfriars, lavington, london, maccreanor, road, southwark