LONDON - Olympic Stadium (60,000) - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 20th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #81
flare

Likes (Received): 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquinho View Post
I don't understand why they will reduce the capacity after olympics. Maybe a major team in London will like to use it as home (either rugby or football). I believe that an olympic stadium should always remain as it was built as some kind of historic monument. I really hope someone uses it.
Current major stadiums:

Wembley: National Football 90,000 only built a couple of years ago and capable of holding athletics events (capacity 60,000)
Twickenham: National Rugby 82,000 currently being upgraded

No football team wants to move into an athletics stadium due to the distance from the pitch, also London teams all have pretty big stadiums already or not enough fans to fill 25,000. There's no mid-range teams

Football stadiums

Arsenal -Emirates: 60,000 built 2005(ish) so very new
Tottenham Hotspur -White Hart Lane: 36,000
Chelsea - Stamford Bridge: 42,000
West Ham - Upton Park 35,000
Charlton - THe Valley 27,000
Fulham - Craven Cottage 25,000
Leyton Orient - Brisbane Rd (small <10,000) they were interested but could not fill stadium even 50%

Rugby: domestic game isn't that popular in London

25,000 is perfect for a dedicated althetics stadium and will be the UK premier venue.
flare no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #82
michał_

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by flare View Post
Leyton Orient - Brisbane Rd (small <10,000) they were interested but could not fill stadium even 50%

25,000 is perfect for a dedicated althetics stadium and will be the UK premier venue.
So is it final that Leyton Orient won't be the tenant?

And as for the second thing- you think Don Valley will loose it's status? If they redevelop that stadium a bit more, it will be bigger... (although I cannot say anything about it's functionality and stuff).
michał_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #83
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

This site will be the London Olympic institue after the games. So it doesn't matter if its downgraded to 25,000 seats.

London has many many large stadiums.
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #84
michał_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
London has many many large stadiums.
But none athletic
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:33 AM   #85
richieboy

Likes (Received): 0

Yes we do..Crystal palace Athletics stadium
richieboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:18 PM   #86
michał_

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieboy View Post
Yes we do..Crystal palace Athletics stadium
Look up- he said "many many large stadiums".
While this one is 16 000, compared to Don Valley's 25 000 it's still pretty small.
It could be large in Luxembourg, but not England...
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:03 PM   #87
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 229

I'd guess the facilties in/around the stadium are as much an issue as the stadium itself. Size wise theres really no need for an 80,000 seat athletics stadium, yes they probabley could get a football tenant if they dropped the rent enough but the extra cost of perminant contruction and mantainance would probabley leave them making a loss.

The only time London could need a stadium larger than 25,000 in the future is if it hosted the world athletics championships or the comonwealth games(both likey to be hosted elsewhere in the UK first) in which case they could use the temp Wembley track setup.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:36 PM   #88
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 95

there is no city that needs an 80000 seat athletics stadium for athletics more than once maybe maybe twice. athletic events on the scale of the olympic games only come around once. even the commies only need 40000 seats.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:20 AM   #89
michał_

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
The only time London could need a stadium larger than 25,000 in the future is if it hosted the world athletics championships or the comonwealth games(both likey to be hosted elsewhere in the UK first) in which case they could use the temp Wembley track setup.
So, is there any stadium that has a status of "national athletic stadium"? Or will be?
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:33 AM   #90
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by michał_ View Post
So, is there any stadium that has a status of "national athletic stadium"? Or will be?
well the UK doesn't need a large athletics stadium. if they need to host one off athletics championships, Wembley can be used in athletics mode.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:56 AM   #91
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

[IMG]http://i32.************/swsart.jpg[/IMG]Work begins on Olympic stadium today

Construction is beginning at the London 2012 Olympic stadium, three months ahead of schedule.

Work on the 80,000-seater stadium was due to begin in August but the date was moved forward, and the first steps in digging the foundations begin today.

The Olympic Delivery Authority said it had been able to make an early start because of progress already made on site.

After the Games, the £500 million stadium will be turned into a 25,000 seat venue.

The milestone comes as members of the International Olympic Committee's Co-ordination Commission enter the last day of their three-day visit to London.

The 18-strong group has been treated to a series of presentations from London 2012 chairman Lord Coe and Olympic Delivery Authority chairman John Armitt, as well as meeting Olympics minister Tessa Jowell and the new Culture Secretary Andy Burnham.

Organisers are expected to say their preparations are on track, and will be hoping to gain praise similar to that of the previous inspection 11 months ago. Work on the 2012 Aquatics Centre is due to start this summer.

Preparation for the Olympics has been marred by reports that the cost of staging the Games has soared by £5 billion since initial estimates were made.

Last month a group of MPs branded the original 2012 estimates "entirely unrealistic" and accused ministers of succumbing to "wishful thinking".

The Commons public accounts committee also said it had little confidence the current estimate of more than £9 billion would not be exceeded.

Last edited by jerseyboi; May 22nd, 2008 at 12:35 PM.
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:46 PM   #92
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

[IMG]http://i28.************/1zm2cy1.jpg[/IMG]

in this model theres higher new parts? could be for lighting?
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:26 PM   #93
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Likes (Received): 285

Its still a cheap can. lol.

The only positive thing about, is the colours
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:12 PM   #94
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 95

is it really such a monstrous cost to purchase a bit more of that fabric to cover spectators rather than all that steel around the facade. im all for timber.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:28 PM   #95
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

Im late for this but My God, is this shit the new London stadium?! has London moved to the Kalahari? How awful (like the their nutty Logo!). What the hell were those crazy poms thinking this time? I loved the leafy design and expected it to go up like planned. Its a scam and I feel the IOC should immediately threaten to take away the Olympics from London if they dont stick to the one that won them the Games in the first place. They are not a **** serious about the 2012 Games, and should have rather stepped down if this is the case. Paris would have done something iconic and outstanding, not a f&cking ricebowl...shit, what IS that thing!!!
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:08 PM   #96
BeestonLad
PQS

Likes (Received): 899

I agree its shit but Paris were going to use the Stade de France which is already built and pretty boring (although still better than this)
BeestonLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:12 PM   #97
marrio415

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkeb View Post

Im late for this but My God, is this shit the new London stadium?! has London moved to the Kalahari? How awful (like the their nutty Logo!). What the hell were those crazy poms thinking this time? I loved the leafy design and expected it to go up like planned. Its a scam and I feel the IOC should immediately threaten to take away the Olympics from London if they dont stick to the one that won them the Games in the first place. They are not a **** serious about the 2012 Games, and should have rather stepped down if this is the case. Paris would have done something iconic and outstanding, not a f&cking ricebowl...shit, what IS that thing!!!
yes you have been late and with a stupid comment like that i can see why.Any bid thats won does not build the stadium they bid with.Before you start criticising dude your country just better make sure 2010 goes ok.and for your info the ioc commitee that has just visited has given london a mark of 9.75 out of 10 for the progress so far reached as they are impressed.
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:26 PM   #98
canarywondergod

Likes (Received): 83

couldnt care less what it looked like, its meant to hold 80,000 people for what 2 months for the olympic and paralympics games?! then it gets reduced to 25,000 for the rest of its life so im more concerned what it looks like afterwards! if it was going to be used by a football team afterwards im sure they would have made it more architecturally interesting
canarywondergod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:50 PM   #99
hoosier

Likes (Received): 72

The design of the Olympic Stadium is OK, and there is no need to go over the top since it will be mostly torn down after the event.

I hope that Wembley is uitlized and given a lot of airtime during the Olympics. THAT is a beautiful stadium.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:40 PM   #100
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Likes (Received): 285

Fools, they shouldn't even had bovered with the olympic stadium, they could had just used wembley.

And that would be even more "ecological"

Tags
britain, england, london, olympics