Lewisham Regeneration | Lewisham | U/C - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 100 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #21
.Adam

Likes (Received): 869

This area really does have so much potential, they need to be creative here, its areas like this where they should take a risk and try out innovative schemes, such as new street furniture, or removal of signage etc, I know they won't because the locals want the place to remain a dump, if only people had some vision.
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #22
delores

Likes (Received): 743

I know ,the place is a dump and if people think otherwise they need their eye's testing. More people living in a dense area will mean better shopping which at the moment is pretty dire, they also get a leisure centre. The station I think is where there needs to be some serious thought the DLR is so tacky and toy town like but the connections to London and Canary Wharf are great so Lewisham makes perfect sense to develop.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #23
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 76472

Exclamation

LEWISHAM: Loampit Vale plans approved
Friday 11th September 2009
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/45...lans_approved/

PLANS for a high-rise development in a town centre have been given the go-ahead by councillors amid chaotic scenes.

Objectors to the Loampit Vale development, which includes a 24-storey tower, commercial space and a new leisure centre, protested outside Catford Town Hall before the meeting and lambasted councillors after the decision.

Three councillors voted for the plans at a strategic planning committee last night (September 10) and three voted against.

But the chairman Cllr Alan Smith, who had already voted for the plans, got to have the final say and approved the development.

This decision was met with cries of "shame" and "totally undemocratic" from people in the chamber.

Objectors began shouting at the developers and Cllr Smith was pursued by one protestor out of the council offices.

The development, to be built by Barratt Homes in partnership with Lewisham Council, includes 788 flats and has been billed as providing much-needed regeneration for the town.

But objectors referred to criticisms from the council’s own design panel which called the plans “a visual muddle”, “a greatly missed opportunity” and “excessive”.

Objector Sue Graves told the committee: “If you vote for this scheme it will be nothing more than an act of vandalism.”

Increased traffic, pressure on amenities, and a lack of affordable housing were also raised as criticisms by residents and councillors.

David Fisher of the Central Lewisham Action Group, set up to fight the plans, said afterwards: “I felt that everyone was agreeing this was right on the edge of acceptability. I thought they would at least want to look at it again.”

His group has complained to the council legal department and is demanding a public inquiry into the multiple developments planned for the area.

But committee chairman Cllr Alan Smith said afterwards: “There are a quarter of a million people in Lewisham and 92 people aren’t a democratic voice.”

The protesters:

Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #24
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Adam View Post
Jeez.. what do they want to happen here? perhaps it should just be left to run down into a deeper mess than it is already currently in... what planet are these people living on? I'm going to write a letter of support for this project.
Lewisham is already about as bad as it could get.
Old September 15th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #25
uncler

Likes (Received): 14

I've lived in the borough of Lewisham my entire life (other than a year in the States) and know the town centre pretty well. I can honestly say that its about time they gave this area a really good going over. It seems funny that its been neglected for so long - as mentioned earlier in the thread, Lewisham is a fantastic transport interchange - four train lines and the DLR, plus a huge bus teminus. Once you leave the main drag, it also has some really top quality housing stock that in London terms, is pretty affordable.

I certainly welcome this redevelopment, although I am worried about the pressure on the local road network (in particular Lewisham's insane roundabout). However, I understand this is all to be redeveloped in the process so hopefully we'll end up with something that flows a little better (for buses, motorists and pedestrians). Although I haven't checked the plans in detail as yet, my only likely concern is the provision (or lack of) car parking facilities for all those dwellings and facilites. Although its nice to assume everyone will arrive via train/bus/bike/cab/foot, this will never be the case in reality and the local streets and pavements will be absolutely chocka with parked cars. Certainly not helping the congestion issue or appearance of the streetscape.
uncler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #26
delores

Likes (Received): 743

Not really a big protest is it? not for profit? Honestly what are they expecting? a non profit council led development? dream on.. Lewisham needs some serious work done to it. It has huge potential as great place to live unfortunately it's a hole at the moment and can anyone say any different. I'm all for making this place more relevant and this is the first step in the right direction. The people of lewisham should be welcoming such investment.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #27
fitz44

Likes (Received): 41

from the Full Summary Thread;

Loampit Vale has got the all-clear from the Mayor. Full report here;

http://mayor.london.gov.uk/mayor/pla...ale_report.pdf

Old October 8th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #28
potto

Likes (Received): 11759

undemocratic? Did they read their own arguements?! Democracy is not the ramblings of the insane.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #29
fitz44

Likes (Received): 41

Some more renders of this scheme ;

Old November 24th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #30
SE9
South East Nine

Controversy over Lewisham plans
Monday 23 November 2009
http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/news.cfm?id=45944

Quote:

By Michael Stringer

DEBATE is raging over massive regeneration plans that will see thousands of new residents in a town centre.

The centre of Lewisham is gearing up for three huge developments – the Loampit Vale, Lewisham Gateway and Thurston Road projects around Lewisham railway station.

All have been passed by planners.

Campaigners who have formed a new action group to take on all three schemes say the plans will see too many people moving into too small an area.

The council and some businesses believe the centre of Lewisham is crying out for ambitious regeneration.

Caroline Fox, a director at TWIN education and training in Lewisham High Street, said: “I’m a resident in Lewisham as well as running a business here and I’m delighted with the plans.

“They look great and will bring employment opportunities and more people to the borough – it will put Lewisham on the map.

“We have clients and students come over from all over the world and they’ve never heard of Lewisham, but the borough has great potential, great transport links and it’s about time something like this happened.

“Walking down the high street all you see is £1 shops and betting shops, we need more restaurants, more business, more homes. Why not think big?”

However, David Fisher of the new group Action for Lewisham or A4L, said: “Collectively these developments could see an extra 5,000 people come into the area with limited resources and more pollution.

“We recognise the need for more houses and development in the area but this scale is just too vast.

“There is a sense of desperation about it – there are lots of areas in the borough that need regeneration and this could have been spread out.

“We want to incorporate more people and look at the borough as a whole – that’s what the council should have done instead of putting everything in one small area.”

The three developments will include a new leisure centre to replace Ladywell swimming pool, shops, restaurants, office space and a new road layout as well as the 2,000 new homes.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 25th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #31
potto

Likes (Received): 11759

"We recognise the need for more houses and development in the area but this scale is just too vast"

potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #32
kerouac1848

Likes (Received): 3812

I do wonder how many of these people complain that houses are too high - and as a result are pushing average wage earners out of london - and too small? I wonder how many moan about the lack of public space, green areas and wide pavements and roads? I wonder how many also grumble about poor quality buildings, from 60's office blocks to cheaply built council estates?

I then wonder how many of them go away to Paris, Vienna and even NYC and admire the wide, long avenues, public squares and just the general sense of space that exists there?

It seems that these people want all of the above, yet also to live in some small scale village like environment - all in a inner city, zone 2 location! I don't think they understand the contradiction.

No one is saying to build bland blocks everywhere, but Lewisham around the station strikes me as a suitable location for such development. sigh.
kerouac1848 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #33
leanrascal
social constructionist

Likes (Received): 0

Does anyone know what will happen to Lewisham House, the ex-Citigroup Tower?
leanrascal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #34
SE9
South East Nine

There aren't any plans to demolish that tower.

The tower's occupants were all moved to 25 Canada Square in the early 2000s. It is costly to demolish due to the presence of asbestos, so it'll remain standing and vacant for the foreseeable future.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:21 AM   #35
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 2475

I thought it was being kept in working order in case anything happened to 25 Canada Square?
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:27 PM   #36
uncler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill tonkso View Post
I thought it was being kept in working order in case anything happened to 25 Canada Square?
That's also what I'd heard. My GF knows a few people in management at Lewisham Shopping Centre, I'll see if she can ask them to shed some light on it!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:14 AM   #37
bazzup

Likes (Received): 366

Lewisham Council has bought Catford shopping centre, which has been a major obstacle in securing the area's wider redevelopment, including getting rid of the gyratory.

Here's the story.
bazzup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:40 AM   #38
uncler

Good find. If this get things moving, then that's great. I can only hope that the Council do press ahead with a decent plan and not compromise on any front. There are some great ideas floating around (pedestrianising the road in front of the theatre and running the South Circular round a barren bit of land at the back for instance, will really improve things in the town centre). This area has so, so much potential. It has loads of fantastic quality victorian housing stock and lovely streets, currently ruined by a grotty town centre. Its quite easy to tell from walking round here and looking at old photos what a grand area it once was.

Anyhow I digress. Priorities for this area are: 1) Sorting out the South Circular which currently is pretty much gridlocked during the daytime, 2) Knocking down the horrendous Milford Towers block above the shopping precint and 3) Totally redeveloping the central shopping area. I need to attend some of the local planning meetings I think, make sure things are going in the right direction!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:04 PM   #39
bazzup

Likes (Received): 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncler View Post

Good find. If this get things moving, then that's great. I can only hope that the Council do press ahead with a decent plan and not compromise on any front. There are some great ideas floating around (pedestrianising the road in front of the theatre and running the South Circular round a barren bit of land at the back for instance, will really improve things in the town centre). This area has so, so much potential. It has loads of fantastic quality victorian housing stock and lovely streets, currently ruined by a grotty town centre. Its quite easy to tell from walking round here and looking at old photos what a grand area it once was.

Anyhow I digress. Priorities for this area are: 1) Sorting out the South Circular which currently is pretty much gridlocked during the daytime, 2) Knocking down the horrendous Milford Towers block above the shopping precint and 3) Totally redeveloping the central shopping area. I need to attend some of the local planning meetings I think, make sure things are going in the right direction!
Agree with every word, although Catford's other problems are a) relatively poor public transport infrastructure and b) lack of pubs in the area!
bazzup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:22 PM   #40
uncler

This is true! Three pubs closed in the last few years. I guess as & when residents are willing to spend their evenings in the area (rather than going out to Bromley or Greenwich) this will improve.

As for transport, I'd say it was pretty well served. Loads and loads of buses pass through the town centre and there are two train stations with lines into Blackfirars, City Thameslink, London Brigde, Cannon Street, Charing X, etc. Roads connections are pretty good to, with easy access to the A2, A20 and A21 for getting out of town (although would undoubtedly benefit from some improvments to traffic flow)! There's even Lewisham DLR within a mile.

The only thing I'd add to my 'wish list' is that Catford and Catford Bridge stations are combined into one, large station. They sit side by side pretty much and there is a huge patch of derelict land between them which would be ideal for a new 'Catford Central' station and could incorporate proper ticket booths, cycle parking, shops, toilets, etc. Seems utter madness this hasn't been done already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gateway, lewisham, loampit, london, renaissance, vale

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: