SkyscraperCity Forum banner

San José Development News

6M views 34K replies 245 participants last post by  dirt patch 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
San Jose Development News

San Jose Skyline Panoramic by SkylineScenes (Bill Cobb), on Flickr

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will downtown San Jose ever develop the type of height and density of the downtowns in San Francisco, Oakland, and Sacramento?

See less See more
#3 ·
It could with low-rise and mid-rise buildings. As for that airport, the flight path does go over downtown San Jose. San Jose wont have a skyline like San Francisco, Sacramento and maybe even Oakland but it can have the density. San Jose also has a lot of freeways compared to SF, Sac, and Oak, it's the LA of NorCal. :D

Here's an aerial of the airport and downtown SJ.
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=37.34533~-121.88851&style=a&lvl=14

#4 ·
Density-Quite possibly
Height-No

#8 ·
^ i totally agree.
increased height does not equal increased density necessarily. much of san francisco consists of 2-6 story buildings, yet it has the 2nd highest density in the nation. it's more about using the space wisely.

2nd, a downtown airport doesn't and shouldn't mean the city will never have a skyline. san diego's airport is right by their downtown, creating a height limit of 500 ft above sea level. however, san diego is in the midst of a high-rise condo boom.

what makes san jose different is the fact that it's basically a suburb. more ppl leave the city for work then commute in during the day. the city was designed for the car. just looking at a map makes u realize there are more freeways/expressways in SJ then anywhere else in the bay. until SJ in itself becomes a DESTINATION, instead of a massive suburban residentail complex that serves sf, mountain view, palo alto, etc, i don't think ur gonna see much in the way of high-rises.

#9 ·
Sj will definately have a beautiful skyline, its underway. Maybe not that tall but tall enough. The density we will achieve. Remember also that the strip of north first street between Brokaw rd and Montague expwy will be developed into high-rise mixed residential and commercial. It will be a second downtown. I believe the mercury news called it "Dowtown North".

#10 ·
kiddorbitz01 said:
Sj will definately have a beautiful skyline, its underway. Maybe not that tall but tall enough. The density we will achieve. Remember also that the strip of north first street between Brokaw rd and Montague expwy will be developed into high-rise mixed residential and commercial. It will be a second downtown. I believe the mercury news called it "Dowtown North".
does any body know if there are height restrictions in North San Jose? the airport is right across the free way,but the approach is nowhere near the proposed Industrial Core Area.if we cant have height downtown,might as well get it in N. San Jose and make downtown super dense.

#11 ·
From what I've found, the proposed height limit will be set at a measely 120 feet. (Although I feel they will be forced to raise it) That is enough to create density so long as planning is done properly (ie. ground floor retail) but I doubt the people governing San Jose have the vision to carry it out properly. I fear it will end up looking nice but will be a pain in the arse to walk the way Almaden Blvd is.

#13 ·
arturo said:
From what I've found, the proposed height limit will be set at a measely 120 feet. (Although I feel they will be forced to raise it) That is enough to create density so long as planning is done properly (ie. ground floor retail) but I doubt the people governing San Jose have the vision to carry it out properly. I fear it will end up looking nice but will be a pain in the arse to walk the way Almaden Blvd is.
i hope they allow taller buildings....at least 400 feet..ive just given up on downtown....i just dont see it bein vibrant with all those single family homes in the northside being so close to down down....and the redevelopment agency wont use eminent domain....plus the airport is so close causing noise pollution and the hight restrictions just kill it....lets just move on to north san jose....its bigger than down town most of the businesses are there. i hope they dont tap into coyote valley tho...that would be ashame...

#14 ·
kiddorbitz01 said:
Wont the airport still be in the way. How high can you build in that area?

#17 ·
surrill said:
i just dont see it bein vibrant with all those single family homes in the northside being so close to down down....and the redevelopment agency wont use eminent domain....plus the airport is so close causing noise pollution and the hight restrictions just kill it....lets just move on to north san jose....its bigger than down town most of the businesses are there. i hope they dont tap into coyote valley tho...that would be ashame...
As a resident of one of those single family homes I hope the city never uses eminent domain! :) Realistically the only place downtown has to go is north and south along First St and Monterey Hwy. and First St already has Light Rail, which would at least connect it to downtown. If only it ran underground...
And as far as Coyote Valley, that will be the biggest mistake if it goes through. It will only encourage sprawl southward away from the bay proper instead of towards it (where it shold go if we want to avoid further comparisons to LA). But leave it it to San Jose's gifted politicos to support the revitalization of downtown while simultaneously promoting a Coyote plan that discourages downtown growth.

#18 ·
A challenge for San Jose,CA

okay..i've seen people create their own skylines and design magnificent skyscrapers. Alright let's see how you can go crazy with the software and keep under the rules.

City: San Jose, California (a few quick notes)
San Jose, California has a population of about 950,000 and is poised to reach one million strong within the next decade. The downtown area is noted for it's so called "skyscrapers" with a lack of buildings exceeding 16 stories. If you pan around the city, Mineta San Jose International Airport is quite close to downtown and it seems that the FAA has put a permanent height limit on buildings in San Jose.

Challenge: To anyone who thinks they can do it, create a skyline for downtown San Jose (with current buildings in place) and has some interesting appeal. I'll bend the rules a little bit for you....the area surrounded by the Knight Ridder building, the Fairmont Hotel, and San Jose City Hall (note the triangular section they form) has NO HEIGHT LIMIT. I repeat the triangular section I have made mention of has NO HEIGHT LIMIT IN PLACE! So build em high in that area and make em blend well into the city.

To the one who can create a beautiful skyline, I will use your picture and other graphics and submit them to the San Jose City Council for review with their 2000 Downtown Strategy. GET GOING!

#20 ·
surrill said:
hate that stupid airport!!! i seriously do.
I have to agree with you man..the challenge is still up ladies and gentlemen! ok...but seriosuly though where are you going to move that airport if you could? North San Jose? oh sure...go right on ahead. Piss off the arrogant people of Alviso. Who hate change and don't make any attempt to reach out and make a "real" community with the newcomers.

SOMEONE PLEASE FIX THIS