SkyscraperCity Forum banner

San Pedro home to the Port of Los Angeles

6K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  klmn583 
#1 ·
San Pedro is where the Los Angeles port is located. It is approx. 25 miles away from downtown Los Angeles. At one time it was its own town, and eventually became a part of the city of Los Angeles when the port was developed.

So yes its part of the city, but has its own idenity. It has it own small downtown as well. Downtown San Pedro is what I mostly covered since Kingofthehill joined me and he only had a short amount of time before he had to go. Perhaps another day both of us can go back and capture more of the residental side of it.

BTW San Pedro is in a way to LA like Staten Island is to New York City. It part of the city, but has a totally different feel to it. Also strange is Long Beach is just over the bridge 10 mins away, and yet it feels like its miles away in look and culture.

Enjoy!

Brand new highrise condos. I do believe these are the tallest residental units in all of San Pedro.

Okay here is where we got in trouble. This is a police station (LA Port Authority I think?). I guess they saw us on camera, and decided to swoop up on us and harrass us. The police claim they got calls on us, yeah right. We had just arrived and only walk one block. Anyway they made us give up our ID, and took phone numbers, and SSN's, and the name of this website where we would be sharing our photos He said this was due to Homeland Security, and people get nervous when pictures are taken of around the port.

We were told we could get harrassed some more while taking photos. Darn I was just about to take some of the bridge when the authorities arrived. Although he said we could, but do it descreetly, and of course face being harrassed again. Kingofthehill and I decided we better not even face the camara towards the waterfront at that point.

Well this is about as much of the port I was able to capture in the background. You can also see part of the Vincent Thomas bridge in the lower right corner between the trees. Again we didn't want any trouble so we kept our cameras away from the waterfront.

Lofts Conversion, and from the looks of it San Pedro was going through a mini boom the last few years. It was rather quiet one since I had no clue all of the things I seen yesterday was happening.

Some cool old building converted to Lofts, the floors above are new.

If you look real close, the port of Los Angeles can be seen in the background. Of course I didn’t attempt to take any photos after we were harassed by the port authorities.

What a shame they use the upper floors for storage, I see a lot of potential for some cool lofts here.

This bus actually provides local service to San Pedro from Downtown Long Beach. I guess because it crosses over the bridge its ran by the LADOP, but again once it gets into San Pedro it runs local.

Kingofthehill and I joked about this having a camera and its watching us.

The End

See less See more
#9 ·
^^

JoshuaSantos

No San Pedro has been part of the city for a very long time, I think ever since the LA port was developed. It considered a district within the city, like Hollywood, Encino, Venice, etc. Also the Queen Mary is across the bridge in Long Beach. Although I do have other threads of Long Beach with photos of the QM. Check them out, I hope you like it. :)

#10 ·
Thats the only reason I'm afraid to take pics, because I'm always wondering if someone is going to call the cops or something for me taking pics of buildings in the city. Of course its diffecult to think I'm doing something illegal by taking pics and only being 19, but (and I mean this not in any negatively) it would be harder for me to take a pic of buildings and espicially highrises if I was of darker skin or looked like I was from the Middle East. Guess its the society we live in now, which sucks.

Awesome pics though. I always emjoy seeing pics of conversions because its good seeing new with old. The Bank Lofts look awesome with the red paint and kinda sandy color(whatever the name of color it is) on it. San Pedro looks great, thanks!

#17 ·
Okay here is where we got in trouble. This is a police station (LA Port Authority I think?). I guess they saw us on camera, and decided to swoop up on us and harrass us. The police claim they got calls on us, yeah right. We had just arrived and only walk one block. Anyway they made us give up our ID, and took phone numbers, and SSN's, and the name of this website where we would be sharing our photos He said this was due to Homeland Security, and people get nervous when pictures are taken of around the port.

We were told we could get harrassed some more while taking photos. Darn I was just about to take some of the bridge when the authorities arrived. Although he said we could, but do it descreetly, and of course face being harrassed again. Kingofthehill and I decided we better not even face the camara towards the waterfront at that point.
I got the same treatment taking photos the St Paul river port. It was 2 St Paul cops and a guy in a suit who drove an unmarked black SUV.

Nice photos, only knew of San Pedro as the home of the seminal '80s punk band the Minutemen.

#18 ·
Red Lust GHD IV Styler,

Are you Red Lust GHD IV Styler, Blue Serenity, Ghd Purple Indulgence or will you make the other girls Green with Envy? Make a statement with your styler as well as your hair with the gorgeous new limited edition colour collection from ghd . Choose from four stunning new glossy shades - Red, Blue, Purple or Green. Each Red Lust GHD IV Styler from the colour collection comes with a quilted heat resistant pouch and stylish protective case.The 2010 Red Lust ghd iv styler is a fantastic all-round styler.Designed to create easy styles and texture, the ghd styler combines advanced ceramic technology which spreads evenly over the cushioned paddles. The ghd styler conducts heat fast and retains it more effiently thanks to its unique built-in microprocessor. Resulting in: Instant long lasting heat for optimum styling and hair straightening control. Plus its advanced infra-red heat actually protects your hair by sealing in its natural oils, moisture and colour.Buy cheap ghd straighteners online shop: http://www.ghdhair-hot.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.