SkyscraperCity Forum banner

AZ to go Blue?

5K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  AZian 
#1 ·
In government class today, we were discussing the rapid growth of the Phoenix area. The rapid influx of primarily Californians is changing the demographics of this area fast, and the *******-hicks of this once agricultural region are being replaced with high-techies and real estate developers. She noted that many demographists (?) say within the next ten to twenty years, the old generation of solid republicans will be replaced by the stereotypical California Liberals. Do you think this is true?

#27 ·
I sure wish ohio would turn blue, but there are too many white suburbanites that wouldnt know reality if it bit them in the arses. Kinda like most of the southeastern valley here, but the same.

#29 ·
Nutterbug said:
At Bush's current rate of popularity, will there be any red states in the next election?
As true as that SHOULD be, I would have to doubt that will be the case. Bush's blind-followers in their usual places will show-up in droves this november.

#30 ·
chicbicyclist said:
Speaking of going Blue, Iowa, New Mexico, New Hampshire and Maine could go red, but I'd take Florida, Colorado, and Virginia in return. More people live in those states.
Take it from a New Englander, NH and to a much lesser extent ME are Libertarian, not Republican. A Republican from NH is more often than not a fiscally conservative ex-Masshole who moved 10 miles north of the MA-NH line to pay less taxes while still working at his well-paying job in Boston. You will not find many Bible-thumpin', gay hatin' Neo-cons anywhere in New England.

A New Hampshire Republican would be considered a Democrat in most other regions of the country.

#32 ·
urbanaturalist said:
As far as development is concerned the true test of whether AZ will remain red is if a new Smart Growth referendum is approved or not. Remember the Sierra Club tried to get AZ to approve a referendum back in the 90s and Azians said no. Which is why its the Sprawl King.
Dont measure a state's political orientation by its policy toward "smart" growth. Many blue states have enormouse sprawl problems. Illinois, Minnesota, Massachusetts, and a ton more have suburban rings that creep farther and farther from their original boundaries. Not all democrats are tree-hugging, mansion-burning fanatics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.