SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Redding, CA

6K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  mzn 
#1 · (Edited)
Sundial Bridge-- Redding, CA

Okay, so nothing really goes on Redding, and in truth it is a cowtown. That being said, it is a beautiful cowtown with one dynamic piece of architecture. I had heard of the Sundial Bridge when it was opened in 2004 but haven't had the opportunity to check it out untill last week. I found it very breathtaking, but was dissapointed to hear that some locals didn't welcome it.

#5 ·
Bond James Bond said:
I drove through Redding several years ago on my way to the Bay Area. If there's one city in CA that isn't a big city, that *would* make a good place for a big city, it's Redding.

Yeah, I very much agree with that; Redding would make a good place for a big city. With such a natural scenic environment, a few stylish scrapers would fit in perfectly.
The problem is that urban development has been highly opposed in the past by the city council. They feel it would take away from the cozey small town feel. Also, there has been concerns about the mountains trapping in pollution (like the mountains around LA do), and as a result alot of industrial development has been kept out. I'm surprised that the Sundial Bridge was built, but glad it was all the same!

#6 ·
I can't get over that Bridge. It's so ... futuristic! :eek:

Do you have any specifics about it? I mean, what body of water does it cross, height, length, etc? :?

From at least one of the photos it appears to be a purely pedestrian bridge, but I can hardly believe that it should be so. :dunno:

#7 ·
The Sundial bridge crosses the Sacramento River at 700ft long, 217ft high and has a width of 23ft.

And yes, it is purely a pedestrian bridge... it links a local wildlife attraction called Turtle Bay to a pleasant bike & jogging trail that is complete with its own small creek.

One would think that a structure this striking would be used for cars or something in a busier area along the river.

Although it's only 217ft tall, it looks taller in person... perhaps because of the dramatic curves. A must see for anyone.

#10 ·
Well, this Californian for one is not offended, Slammed. :)

Rather, I'm afraid you express a sentiment here that we may all be guilty of from time to time. We expect stunning structures and designs in the big glamor cities & are totally surprised to encounter something as spectacular as the Sundial Bridge (thanks again, Brotolive! :wave: ) in what we tend to consider as a remote backwater of a town, in this case Redding, CA. ;)

But there's no law that says small cities have to stick to humdrum architecture, is there? :cheers:

#13 ·
you're welcome Who's Homepage...
Redding is a very nice community. It is very laid back and full of friendly people. It doesn't offer too much for the younger crowd, but it is an excellent area for those who are or soon will retire. Many people think of Redding with fondness. Clint Eastwood recently funded the restoration of a historical theater in the city that he remembers going to as a kid.

#14 ·
Forgive my squirrelly ignorance...but was this designed by Calatrava?

#18 ·
sequoias said:
nice looking bridge, I haven't seen it when I went past redding last year. I guess I missed it or something. I've never seen a design like that in my life, it looks like a half suspension bridge, sort of.
I have! :) ....twice! :sleepy: ...

Santiago Calatrava's first bridge in the United States

Located in Northern California, Turtle Bay Exploration Park is a 300-acre campus centered on the Turtle Bay Museum, which features exhibits exploring the relationship between people and the natural world. This new pedestrian bridge over the Sacramento River links the museum building to the 200-acre Arboretum, while serving as a new downtown entrance for Redding's Sacramento River trail system.

Puerto Madero, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Start 1998

The Puente de la Mujer is a rotating suspension bridge, 102m (335 ft) long, set between a pair of fixed bridges. The central section is suspended by cables from an inclined pylon 39m (128 ft) high. This section of the bridge can rotate 90 degrees to allow free passage of water traffic. Built of reinforced concrete and steel and paved with natural stone or ceramics, the Puente de la Mujer will be illuminated at night, transforming it into a new symbol for Buenos Aires.

They are twins!! Congrats!!:colgate:.....

They are lovely tho... :cheers:

#21 ·
So there's a twin to the Redding bridge in Buenos Aires? :eek:

That's just smashing, Masher! :cool:

Looks like the Buenos Aires twin is also a pedestrian bridge. :) Since we now know thanks to brotolive that the Redding bridge crosses the Sacramento River, do you know the body of water the bridge in Buenos Aires crosses?

#23 ·
Whose Homepage said:
So there's a twin to the Redding bridge in Buenos Aires? :eek:

That's just smashing, Masher! :cool:

Looks like the Buenos Aires twin is also a pedestrian bridge. :) Since we now know thanks to brotolive that the Redding bridge crosses the Sacramento River, do you know the body of water the bridge in Buenos Aires crosses?
Hmm i think its only purpose is to cross a damn...
Here is more info on that...
it's the architect's only work in South America. The 335-foot-long suspension pedestrian bridge is broken up into three sections, two static and one mobile. The central portion of the bridge was designed to rotate 90 degrees to allow water traffic to pass, with the two static portions connecting to pedestrian streets on either side of the dam.

Calatrava is said to have requested examples of Argentina's typical music upon receiving this commission. As a result, the bridge is abstractly meant to illustrate a couple dancing Tango, the man towering over the woman who is leaning back horizontally.:sly: This, along with the fact that the surrounding neighborhood has streets primarily named after women accounts for the name of the bridge.

#24 ·
Yeah, Calatrava's bridge in Buenos Aires is quite a landmark, since that zone is very touristic

And yeah, what is crossed are docks especially made for the port.. but it's part of Rio de la Plata (Silver River)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.