SkyscraperCity Forum banner

More new towers....Seattle or SD?

6K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  SDfan 
#1 ·
I'm not trying to start a city vs city thread but I'm curious to know approximately how many towers are in development for San Diego. The SD threads seem really busy and there seems to be new proposals weekly. Seattle has been very active lately as well and I've counted almost 50 new buildings (10+ floors) for downtown seattle that are in various stages of development (from planned to under construction). Does someone know what the figure for SD is?

#4 ·
Here are some of the projects proposed or under consturction.

16th and market (proposed)

16th and island (proposed)

Front and ash (proposed)

Two America Plaza (proposed)

Embassy1414 (proposed)

Library Tower (proposed/cleared site)

Cosmopolitian (proposed/very likely)

Citipoint (proposed)

Strata (proposed)

Pinnacle Project (proposed)

11th and B (proposed)

Sapphire Tower (proposed/cleared site)

Mondrian (proposed)

Metrolive (proposed)

Federal Courthouse Expansion (under consturction)

Electra (under construction)

Diamond View Tower (under construction)

The Mark (under construction)

The Legend (under construction)

These are master projects that will probably take 5 or more years to get completed:

Ballpark Village (permit prosess...as in really out there)

San Diego Community College Project (don't know to much, just renderings)

Naval Broadway Complex (NBC) or "Pacific Gateway Project"

#5 ·
Now I didn't include a lot of the smaller condo and commercial projects, as well as some of the hotels, like the 1,200 room hilton and the two marriotts in the gaslamp. Also I forgot about some of the bigger Bosa projects (3 that I know of), and I'll probably put those up if no one else does later. Oh and Vanatge Pointe, forgot that too. But if you look at the Mondrian rendering in my last post you can see the back of that project, which is under construction.

Why?

Because I don't want to put them in my photobucket right now and Im lazy at the moment, so if some other San Diego forumer would like to fill in the blanks, then please do. ;)

#6 ·
Wow that's impressive San Diego. WaMu and Madison tower are pretty much done now. There's probably... 8-10 projects that will be under construction by summer greater than 10 stories. I'm too lazy to go look specifically. Add in bellevue and it's around 15 projects. I think there's 6 cranes in downtown right now plus another 4 in bellevue if that gives any idea of what the spring has brought.

#8 ·
Downtown Seattle has 16 buildings of 10 stories or more U-C.
--2200 Westlake 1, 2, 3.
--Parc
--Mosler Lofts
--Sheraton
--Olive 8
--Cosmopolitan
--Fifth & Madison
--First & Madison
--WaMu (mostly not open yet, including the whole SAM side)
--Four Seasons
--Second & Yesler
--Horizon House
--8th & Madison
--King County office building

Bellevue has 7 of 19 stories or more U-C.
--Bellevue Towers 1, 2
--Washington Square 1, 2
--Eddie Bauer Tauer
--Ashwood Commons

As for "proposals", San Diego seems to have more. In any case, "proposals" mean nothing until they start.

I hadn't heard that the SD market is on the skids. Details? An article maybe?

#9 ·
Okay I have more of the projects that I left out in the first post...sorry if you have a phone connection. So these are more proposed and under construction projects. I also have put at the end a bunch of either canceled or on hold projects. Plus some that I really don't know what their status is.

Kentter and Grape (proposed)

Breeza (proposed)

Bosa Pacific Hwy and Est (proposed)

Bayview @ the Embarcadero (proposed)

Echelon (proposed)

Aria (under construction)

Alta (under construction)

Apeture (under construction)

Diegan Hotel (under construction)

Hard Rock Hotel (under construction)

Marriott Renissance (under construction)

Marriott Gaslamp (under construction)

Hilton (under construction)

Current (under construction)

Icon (under construction)

Nexus (under construction)

Smart Corner (under construction)

Vanatge Pointe (under construction)

Park Terrace (under construction)

TR Produce Building (under contruction)

On Hold-Canceled-Unknown Pile...

Bosa Project Something (unknown)

Main Library (on-hold)

Market Street Village 2 (on sale)

Pacific Pointe (canceled)

Elle (on sale)

Spinnaker Hotel (unknown)

Triangle (on-hold)

So theirs more, but I've gottne lazy again. Goodnight for now. :)

#10 ·
mhays said:
--2200 Westlake 1, 2, 3.
--Parc
--Mosler Lofts
--Sheraton
--Olive 8
--Cosmopolitan
--Fifth & Madison
--First & Madison
--Four Seasons
--Second & Yesler
--Horizon House
--8th & Madison

Bellevue has 7 of 19 stories or more U-C.
--Bellevue Towers 1, 2
--Washington Square 1, 2
--Eddie Bauer Tauer
--Ashwood Commons

As for "proposals", San Diego seems to have more. In any case, "proposals" mean nothing until they start.

I hadn't heard that the SD market is on the skids. Details? An article maybe?
Well even if we did throw out all the proposed projects, that would leave San Diego with at least 20 under contruction, and 4-5 about to break ground in the coming months.

The market is yes, in a bit of a buyers mood. And it may get worse. I'd look for an article, but its getting late. But they are out there.

#11 ·
mhays said:
--2200 Westlake 1, 2, 3.
--Parc
--Mosler Lofts
--Sheraton
--Olive 8
--Cosmopolitan
--Fifth & Madison
--First & Madison
--Four Seasons
--Second & Yesler
--Horizon House
--8th & Madison
In addition to the 16 that mhays listed, off the top of my head I can count 33 proposals to bring the grand total to 49 for Seattle alone. Wow, I was pretty close with my guess of 50.

--2000 Third Ave
--2700 Elliott Ave
--The Gallery
--5th and Bell 1, 2
--6th and Wall
--8th and Stewart
--7th and Westlake
--Howell and Terry
--West 8th
--Hanover 8th and Olive
--1915 Terry 1, 2
--818 Stewart
--8th and Virginia (schnitzer)
--1221 Denny
--5th and Marion
--5th and Yesler
--Escala
--The Martin
--Trolley Tower
--2201 1, 2
--Mirabella
--Rollin Street
--2nd and Pike
--1915 Second Ave
--2nd and Pine
--120 Pike
--Seneca Towers
--Skyline First Hill
--The Boylston

#15 ·
Yes, thats the only thing I do not like about the current boom in San Diego(apart from the condo mania, hope office tower demand starts revving up soon). That damned airport. At least you guys are less restricted. You have taller buildings and you have an iconic structure. Deffinitely better skyline than most cities out there.

#16 ·
chicbicyclist said:
Yes, thats the only thing I do not like about the current boom in San Diego(apart from the condo mania, hope office tower demand starts revving up soon). That damned airport. At least you guys are less restricted. You have taller buildings and you have an iconic structure. Deffinitely better skyline than most cities out there.
yeah.. me too.. I do not like the airport.. It has to be move..

#19 ·
needsalife said:
Whats the height restriction in SD? And I saw ia street car inone of the renders, is it proposed or is there one already built?

I loved going to San Diego when I used to live in California, just a beautiful city.
The height limit is 500ft from sea level. So if your on 20ft of land above sea level, the building can't be taller then 480ft. We do have some buildings that are 500ft in height, but thats because they were built before the FAA added in the sea level height rule some time ago.

This one you mean?

Thats Smart Corner, a 5 story office building on one side of the tracks and a 17-20 (don't know the exact number of floors) condo complex on the other. Its being built as I type, and pretty fast I might add. Theirs nothing really over there, by city college that is, so it will a nice addition.

#20 ·
BellevueBoy said:
In addition to the 16 that mhays listed, off the top of my head I can count 33 proposals to bring the grand total to 49 for Seattle alone. Wow, I was pretty close with my guess of 50.

--2000 Third Ave
--2700 Elliott Ave
--The Gallery
--5th and Bell 1, 2
--6th and Wall
--8th and Stewart
--7th and Westlake
--Howell and Terry
--West 8th
--Hanover 8th and Olive
--1915 Terry 1, 2
--818 Stewart
--8th and Virginia (schnitzer)
--1221 Denny
--5th and Marion
--5th and Yesler
--Escala
--The Martin
--Trolley Tower
--2201 1, 2
--Mirabella
--Rollin Street
--2nd and Pike
--1915 Second Ave
--2nd and Pine
--120 Pike
--Seneca Towers
--Skyline First Hill
--The Boylston
Wow thats a lot up there. Hows the market going in that region? I bet it isn't as inflated as it is here.

#22 ·
Seattle does not offer any concessions or additional incentives to sell condos to buyers.....it is a very strong market and we are home to the hottest commercial real estate retail market in the country, not to mention we have one of the fastest growing economies in the nation....and condos are still appreciating....

in regards to SD....the devl looks impressive, good luck selling all those units tho....there are 86% more condos on the market today vs. a year ago......supply has out stripped demand. In over built markets like SD, the market reflects a buyers market where developers have to offer incentives to stay competitve just to sell their units(free plasma tv, upgrades, and homeowners dues for a year)...it is just a matter of time before someone losses their shirt and alot more on of of these projects and the opportunity for deprecation becomes feasible........

#24 ·
needsalife said:
Whats the height restriction in SD? And I saw ia street car inone of the renders, is it proposed or is there one already built?

I loved going to San Diego when I used to live in California, just a beautiful city.
If you are referring to a light rail system well SD has had one in place for a long time now. It isn't very affective and ridership is so so but atleast we have one. It really doesn't service any of the nice "uptown" neighborhoods or any attractions like the beach, zoo, balboa park, or the airport. Really not many people I know ever ride it.

#25 ·
Stolen from BmFarley from SSP

Permit Applications In Process:

• Shapery Park Tower (12th and A Hotel Partners) – Centre City Development Permit for a 39-story (407 feet) building with 138 residential units and approximately 2,500 sf of commercial space located at the north east corner of Eleventh Avenue and A Street -- Core

• Embassy 1414 (Constellation Group) – Centre City Development Permit for a 28-story (310 feet) building with 99 residential units and approximately 10,500 sf of commercial space at the northwest corner of Columbia and Ash streets -- Little Italy

• Strata (Legacy Venture, LLC) – Centre City Development Permit for 236 residential units and approximately 12,200 sf of commercial space in an 8/23-story building (240 feet) located on the south side of Market Street between Ninth and Tenth avenues -- East Village

• Monaco (Ghods Builders Inc.) – Centre City Site Development Permit for 286 units and approximately 9,800 sf of commercial space in a 34-story (350 feet) building on the north side of Broadway between Eighth and Ninth avenues -- Core

• Riviera Condominiums (Ghods Builders Inc.) – Centre City Development Permit for 286 units and approximately 9,800 sf of commercial space in a 37-story (380 feet) building on the north side of A Street between Sixth and Seventh avenues -- Cortez

• Workman Hotel (Danny Dabby) – Centre City Development Permit for an eight-story (84 feet) 198-unit residential group living facility with approximately 2,780 sf of commercial space at the southwest corner of 14th and J streets -- East Village

• Axiom (SRM Development) – Centre City Development Permit for a 12-story (125 feet) building with 213 residential units (43 affordable) and approximately 8,700 sf of commercial space on the south side of Market Street between 13th and 14th streets -- East Village

• Parkside Terrace (Wakeland Housing) – Centre City Development Permit for a six-story (75 feet) building with 78 residential units and a 10,000 sf church on the north side of Island Avenue between 13th and 14th streets -- East Village

• Sprint Nextel at 606 Third Avenue (Sprint Nextel) – Centre City Conditional Use Permit to allow 12 architecturally-integrated façade-mounted panel antennas, two GPS units, and associated equipment in an equipment shelter on the roof of the existing building located at 606 Third Avenue -- Marina

• En Barrique (En Barrique, Ltd.) – Gaslamp Quarter Conditional Use Permit to allow for alcohol in conjunction with live music, entertainment and dancing within a proposed restaurant to be located at 519 Island Avenue -- Gaslamp

• Cricket at 1455 Kettner (Cricket Wireless) – Centre City Neighborhood Use Permit to allow three architecturally-integrated façade mounted antennas, one GPS antenna, and associated equipment on the roof of the existing structure located at 1455 Kettner Boulevard -- Little Italy

• 777 Beech (J. Peter Block Companies) – Centre City Development Permit for a seven-story building containing 74 residential units and 4,200 sf of commercial space along the south side of Beech Street between Seventh and Eighth avenues, directly north of the El Cortez historic building -- Cortez

• 16th and J (Katalyst) – Centre City Development Permit for 80 residential units and approximately 3,900 sf of commercial space in an eight-story building (92 feet) located on the southeast corner of 16th and J streets -- East Village

• 10th Avenue Surface Parking Lot (5th & K Development) – Centre City Conditional Use Permit to allow a 29-space public surface parking lot on a 10,000 sf lot located on the east side of Tenth Avenue between B and C streets -- Core

• 8th & Market Surface Parking Lot (Central Parking) – Centre City Conditional Use Permit to allow a 15-space public-surface parking lot on a 5,000 sf lot located on the north side of Market Street between Eighth and Ninth avenues -- East Village

• Front and Cedar (Michael Sabourin) – Centre City Development Permit/Variance for 62 residential units and 1,140 sf of commercial space in a 15-story building (162 feet) located on the north side of Cedar Street between Union and Front streets -- Cortez

• Studio Fifteen (Affirmed Housing) – Centre City Site Development Permit for 275 affordable Single Room Occupancy Hotel units in a five-story (56 feet) building located at the southwest corner of 15th Street and Imperial Avenue -- East Village

• 1909 State Street (Martin Schmidt) – Centre City Development Permit/Variance for an expansion of an existing commercial office building located at 1909 State Street to allow the addition of three residential units and an office suite -- Little Italy

• Belo (former E Street Alley) (Shulvis, Inc.) – Gaslamp Quarter Conditional Use Permit to amend a Gaslamp Quarter Conditional Use Permit to allow alcohol sales in conjunction with live entertainment under a reconfigured floor plan located at 919 Fourth Avenue -- Gaslamp

• 10th and B (KB Home Coastal) – Centre City Development Permit for 191 residential units and approximately 14,000 sf of ground-floor commercial space in a 20-story (236 feet) building located on the north side of B Street between Tenth and Eleventh avenues -- Core

• Ballpark Skylofts (Ballpark Skylofts, LLC) – Centre City Development Permit for 16 residential units in a seven-story (75 feet) building located at 542 16th Street on the west side of the street between Market Street and Island Avenue -- East Village

• Mondrian (Gray Development) – Centre City/Site Development Permit for 846 residential units (79 affordable) and approximately 33,000 sf of commercial space in a 39-story (410 feet) tower located on the full block bounded by Eighth and Ninth avenues, and A and B streets. The project requires final approval by the Planning Commission, anticipated early summer -- Core

• Village Manor (Danny Dabby) – Centre City Development Permit for 169 group living units and approximately 2,500 sf of commercial space in a seven-story (80 feet) building located at 1492 K Street -- East Village

• 445 West Ash (445 West Ash, LLC) – Centre City Development Permit for 82 residential units and approximately 7,000 sf of commercial space, and 22,000 sf of office in a 32-story (362 feet) tower at the southeast corner of the intersection at Columbia and Ash streets -- Columbia

• Grand Pacific Tower (Barry O’Beirne) – Centre City Development Permit for 86 residential units and approximately 3,100 sf of commercial space in a 21- story tower (255 feet) located on the southeast corner of Fifth Avenue and Ash Street -- Cortez

• Pacific Pointe (Pointe of View) – Centre City Development Permit for 403 residential units and approximately 12,000 sf of commercial space in 5-39 story (450 feet) buildings located on the east side of Eleventh Avenue between Broadway and E Street -- East Village

#26 ·
TheBellevueBoss said:
Seattle does not offer any concessions or additional incentives to sell condos to buyers.....it is a very strong market and we are home to the hottest commercial real estate retail market in the country, not to mention we have one of the fastest growing economies in the nation....and condos are still appreciating....

in regards to SD....the devl looks impressive, good luck selling all those units tho....there are 86% more condos on the market today vs. a year ago......supply has out stripped demand. In over built markets like SD, the market reflects a buyers market where developers have to offer incentives to stay competitve just to sell their units(free plasma tv, upgrades, and homeowners dues for a year)...it is just a matter of time before someone losses their shirt and alot more on of of these projects and the opportunity for deprecation becomes feasible........
You gotta remember that San Diego was one of the first cities to experience a downtown residential boom (which began nearly 3 years ago), so it's obvious that we'd be one of the first to slowdown. We were lucky enough to have our peak before interest rates and construction costs began to rise. Inevitably, those two factors will result in a building slowdown all across the country. While some proposals have been cancelled or postponed, we're still getting announcements of brand new proposals as we speak. Go figure :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.