SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Spokane trip #2: Browne's Addition and Peaceful Valley

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  UrbanSky 
#1 ·
Welcome to historic Browne's Addition, just to the west of downtown.

Browne's Addition is a special place not just because it's historic, but because that's where I lived when I was in Spokane. :D :banana: This was the apartment building I lived in the entire (almost) 3 years I was there.

Now, if you go up the stairs ^ on the left, there's a courtyard . . . and at the end of the courtyard is the apartment I lived in. :banana:

This house is next to my apartment building. When I first moved there it was a dull green-gray (or some other boring color). About a year or two after I moved there they painted it this nice color scheme.

These new-ish townhouses are across the street.

About a block away, another house that was dull-colored and rundown when I first moved there, but they fixed it up while I was there. I think this was a dull yellow color, if I recall correctly.

Not all the houses in Browne's Addition are nice Victorian things. There are plenty of relatively boring ones.

Also, a lot of these houses aren't actually houses anymore. Many of them have been subdivided into apartments - even many of the nice, old ones. In fact, I think it's fair to say that a majority of the houses in Browne's Addition have been subdivided into apartments.

Some "real" apartments.

This is just around the corner from the apartments above ^ - the brick building at the back of the photo is the side of the apartment. This little area is a small cluster of stores which is sorta like "downtown" Browne's Addition.

Coeur D'Alene Park, in the center of Browne's Addition.

Patsy Clark's mansion. Patsy Clark was a guy who made a fortune during Spokane's silver mining boom back in the early 20th century. This faces Coeur D'Alene Park. For a long while this had been a restaurant. When I was last in Spokane 3-4 years ago, the restaurant had closed. Now it looked like someone was actually living there.

This is to the right of Patsy Clark's.

In the 50's and 60's there was little interest in the historic nature of Browne's Addition, and a lot of ugly modern apartment complexes got built. This is one of them.

Some older stuff again, including an old apartment.

These are the Westminster Apartments, right across the street from the picture above.

Another old mansion.

This is next to the one above. You can't tell from this photo, but that sign on the yard says "For Rent," which should tell you what this house is actually being used for.

And this is across the street from the above 2 pictures. Notice the 20-somethings moving a sofa out of the house. This one, too, has been converted to rentals. Before I moved to Spokane I actually looked at an apartment in this building, but decided I liked the other one better.

This is in the same area as the several pictures above.

Right next to the picture above, a museum.

Walk down the street a few houses . . .

About a block away, another modern apartment building.

And right across the street from that, another old mansion (once again, subdivided into apartments)

Some ugly apartments next to a nice old house.

Some historic house.

It's hard to tell from this picture, but this is a really beaten-up house with holes in the walls, peeling plaster, and the whole bit.

Some older apartments, with the family raking the leaves. :)

One of many mundane houses in the district.

And a view down the street, with the downtown skyline in the distance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Peaceful Valley

Peaceful Valley

Peaceful Valley is located kinda "below" Browne's Addition, on the down side of a bluff next to the Spokane River. As the name indicates it's in a valley, and being tucked away in a sort-of "hidden" spot in the city, it's pretty peaceful there. :)

Here's the entrance to Peaceful Valley. One of the dominating features is the overhead Maple Street bridge.

Boo! A house all cobwebbed up for Halloween. ;)

Meow. This one is extra big. I should enter it in a contest. :)

Some houses are not so fixed up. And others look like they've been fixing them up . . . forever. I could swear this one was in the exact same state when I lived there.

Old car for an old neighborhood.

Small old apartment.

This is a quaint, old, little schoolhouse. When I lived there it was abandoned and boarded up, now they've turned it into a community center. I used to have a fantasy of turning this into a coffee shop. :)

The omnipresent bridge.

Regular houses.

Some more cute houses.

Yup, there's a bus route running through here. :)

Peeking into people's backyards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.