VIENNA | Projects & Construction - Page 47 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2018, 10:24 AM   #921
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 72875

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodybear View Post
I agree, that roof extension is UGLY. Also, why would they remove all the decorative elements in the facade of that building?
I noticed that, too. I hope it's just the bad quality visualisation. This really is a scandal that needs to be stopped now!
Vienna is getting worse in this regard any day. Totally ruining its cityscape.

Apparently they've also torn down the old building next to it, the white one at the centre:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...oramio_(1).jpg

Unbelievable.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2018, 09:28 PM   #922
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 7423

I don't even know what to say anymore... That's plain cultural barbarism. Not only are they destroying a beautiful, historic building, but on top of what is left they are dropping a turd. What are you doing, Vienna?

mietni, Atarista, The Caspian, Vikusz liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2018, 10:06 PM   #923
goodybear
I <3 Frankfurt&Melbourne

Likes (Received): 2195

TBH, I think that for the historic city centres, the old buildings should be externally kept as they are, and only restored from time to time. In other districts, such as the back in the photo above, is where new construction belongs and should be built. Luckily, where I am from (Schaffhausen), the old town has been externally kept the same without major alterations apart from restoring facades. All the new apartments and houses are constructed outside of the old city centre. That way, you can keep the old while still having new things. I'm sure Vienna has enough ugly buildings from the 1960s and 1970s that can be replaced with newer ones, instead of replacing historic buildings.

wakka12, erbse, The Caspian liked this post
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2018, 11:10 PM   #924
Dreidecker

Likes (Received): 8666

That extension is ignoring a long and fine tradition of building houses.
Old April 18th, 2018, 12:59 AM   #925
Titan Man

Likes (Received): 1479

I visited Vienna last summer and I was honestly surprised how much that city disappointed me. For every beautiful historicist row of buildings there is at least one postwar monster nearby, just to ruin the perfection. I was especially disgusted by those postwar monsters across the Cathedral, that kind of cheap architecture doesn't belong in the very centre of one of Europe's most beautiful capitals. Also, both Maria-Theresien Platz and Heldenplatz, arguably the city's grandest squares (even though Heldenplatz was never finished), are paved with asphalt, which I honestly never would've expected from Vienna.

The Caspian liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2018, 01:16 AM   #926
wakka12

Likes (Received): 4237

I only passed through vienna for a few hours but it seemed very beautiful. But I didnt get to see very much of it, mostly just the area with the museums and the main shopping district, isnt it a world heritage site? I thought thered be strict conservation laws because of that

wakka12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2018, 09:05 AM   #927
Josp64

Likes (Received): 63

Sorry, I can not share your opinion about Vienna and its architecture, that´s really not true!

There is hardly any city in Europe which offers so much beautiful buildings than Vienna, still and most likely for ever!
The coexistence of old and modern buildings there is very interesting and attractive!
And to call a approved building of the famous austrian architect Hollein "cheap" is really ridiculous, but could be, that Zadar is one of the cities, which knock out Vienna! :-))))
In a city with such a big ancient building potential and huge immigration of people from many countries they would like to live in the city with the highest quality of life in the world it is of course necessary to build new living space, and so not each old house could be renovated, no city would be able to finance such projects, that´s not possible!
Of course, there are some projects they are not satisfying, like everywhere in the world, that´s true, but largely modern buildings in Vienna are built with susceptibility and kind of visual taste of modernity beside antiquity!

So tell me, which city you can accentuate relating sensitive handling with its history of urban development, I´m of the opinion no other city in the level of Vienna, especially in Europe, where are the most beautiful cities in the world, act more cautious in this subject!

Look at Rome, London, Brussels, Berlin or Paris.....in which town it is better???
I think, even worse....

Last edited by Josp64; April 18th, 2018 at 09:34 AM.
Josp64 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2018, 03:11 PM   #928
Titan Man

Oh please, let's not start with "d*ck measurement", I never mentioned any other city, let alone some Croatian hellhole (when it comes to quality of life). Vienna is still one of my favourite cities in the world, it has so much to offer in terms of art and architecture. I just said that it left me somewhat disappointed due to those simple reasons. Unfortunately, I had only enough time to walk around Ringstrasse, pass through the Hofburg, stroll around Graben, and that was pretty much it. Maybe I shouldn't judge the city based on those couple of streets, but those are its most famous places. Also, I didn't mention Haas House, I was thinking about the whole block of buildings next to it which look like they were built after the war. That being said, Haas House is ugly as hell, IMO.
To answer the second part of your post, I think Prague beats Vienna when it comes to protection of historical buildings and respectful development of modern projects in the city centre, although both of them are at the European top, with no other obvious competitor. However, a UNESCO World Heritage Site definitely should be more careful with the handling of its legacy, some projects here really make me feel sick.
P.S. I liked how clean the streets were when I was there and how everything seemed so efficient, Vienna truly wins in terms of quality of life.

erbse, RiseUp liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2018, 04:09 PM   #929
wakka12

Yeh there is no question here that vienna is beautiful and has amazing levels of preserved heritage. But we are holding it to a very high standard exactly because of that, you say its not possible to save /restore/repurpose every heritage building, and in most cities I would agree with you, but UNESCO world city has to go the extra mile to do that. As a UNESCO city you represent all of humanity's heritage!

And on a sidenote, I think there are competitors with Prague and Vienna.. Lisbon, Porto, Edinburgh, Florence, Amsterdam, maybe even budapest or paris, theres a lot!
Old April 18th, 2018, 04:49 PM   #930
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1972

Well, yes, it is unfortunate that many buildings were destroyed during wartime; you have that mixture of old turn-of-the-last-century style building mixed with buildings built-with-whatever-was-available in the early 1950s in many places in the city.
But I really don't think that this is something you can rightfully blame anyone for, cheap architecture in times when that was the only architecture available. And it isn't that cheap to replace that nowadays either.

A real travesty is indeed the fact that nowadays great old buildings are demolished for really below-average new stuff. That is outrageous, but NOT the fact that there are many postwar buildings, built when everything was scare..
Haas House, btw, is in my opinion a good example how you can fit modern with historic. But of course, de gustibus non est disputandum. I for one would be grateful if Haas House is what other "modern" buildings would keep up with.
Old April 18th, 2018, 11:12 PM   #931
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Vienna keeps getting uglier, it's a tragedy! Soon it won't be a romantic tourism destination anymore.
But probably that's exactly what they're trying to achieve.
You are vastly overdramatizing. Even if the aesthetic quality of many new buildings is horrible, the centre is not as affected. Moreover, regulations are getting stricter regarding tearing down Gründerzeit blocks, also outside of special protection zones.

Generally I do see a tendency that the more nice architecture is disappearing the more facade reconstruction projects can be seen as well. At the same time as Gründerzeit buildings are disappearing also a massive number of them gets renovated as well. So overall, the inner districts are actually getting nicer not worse. Even if completely new buildings often (but not always) look fairly drab.
Old April 19th, 2018, 08:33 AM   #932
Josp64

Likes (Received): 63

Wakka12
Come on, Florence and Edinburgh and even Amsterdam are not to compare with Vienna, rather with Salzburg, which is also an outstanding "perfect" medieval city, but a big town with nearly 2 million is not the same level than small towns with some 100000 inhabitants, like these beautiful places, you´ve listed!

And you visited Paris sometimes outside the city center??
You will recognize how deeply ugly this town is partial!
Nowhere in Vienna you will see such unaesthetic parts!

Budapest and Prague are pretty, but for me, these cities never can reach the level of construction of the buildings, the culture, the quality and the flair Vienna offers!
And also there you have to leave the center and you will see, the beauty of this eastern cities is lost immediately!

The UNESCO Heritage is related to the first district, where no ancient building is changed or modernized with a new design, on the contrary, I not even know any other city which invest so much money in the renovation of old styled buildings...except some new hotels or houses were built in a modern style, but with a distinguished architecture, like the Haas House, not for everybody, but many experts agree that it fits to the cathedral, and for me also!
This "old/new gathering" seems to be very interesting and appealing, because time can´t stall!

And to refer to the buildings they where built after WW2 is a bit funny, because in this time it was necessary to built most quickly new living quarters with little money after big parts of the city were destroyed!

But of course, about taste and fondness it is difficult to dispute!
But anyway, I think, Vienna realize the architectural potential of the city and treated it with high sensitiveness!

wakka12 liked this post

Last edited by Josp64; April 19th, 2018 at 08:43 AM.
Josp64 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2018, 01:30 AM   #933
Phobos

The demolition at Wiedner Gürtel 18 is totally unbelievable.

Atarista, The Caspian liked this post
Phobos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2018, 06:58 PM   #934
Atarista

Likes (Received): 124

Vienna's been rundown by a corrupt city government the last 10-15 years.
Selling out in all regards to mass-tourism and sleazy real estate "investors".
Hundreds of venerable old buildings are either teared down each year to make place for faceless housing boxes, or "crowned" with butt-ugly roof extensions to maximize profit.
It's extremely depressing.

Atarista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2018, 07:35 PM   #935
wakka12

Hundreds really? Or just exaggeration? I find it hard to believe vienna looks the way it does if hundreds of old buildings are being demolished every year!
wakka12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2018, 08:34 PM   #936
Atarista

Pretty accurate. About 1-2% of the old buildings are disappearing each year. Buildings built between 1848-1918 alone count 15.000 in Vienna. Not all of them masterpieces, for sure. But lots of memorable buildings have been demolished in recent years, at an increasing speed. It's much less noticeable in the very center of Vienna but also happens there.
Where they're not being demolished, they're being crippled with insensitive additional floors and hideous rooftops.

The UNESCO heritage status is being downplayed, not to say despised by the current city government, which is currently trying to push through, against all local and international opposition, the construction of a skycraper right in the center of the city.
As a consequence, Vienna has actually been put on the red list of endangered UNESCO sites - a honor it only shares with Palmyra and other war-devastated site.

erbse, RiseUp, The Caspian, Vikusz, Jackonod liked this post
Old April 20th, 2018, 08:49 PM   #937
Atarista

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
I noticed that, too. I hope it's just the bad quality visualisation. This really is a scandal that needs to be stopped now!
Vienna is getting worse in this regard any day. Totally ruining its cityscape.

Apparently they've also torn down the old building next to it, the white one at the centre:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...oramio_(1).jpg

Unbelievable.
Btw, that's how the building with the "Umbau" banner on above pic looks now:

erbse, The Caspian, Roman_P liked this post
Old April 20th, 2018, 08:52 PM   #938
wakka12

Oh my lord
It looks like a post war building! and it replaced a nice building
Ah sometimes I just wish I didnt care about heritage, because nobody else does, my life would be so much happier if I loved horrible characterless glass skyscrapers like everyone else seemingly does
Old April 20th, 2018, 09:00 PM   #939
Titan Man

Jesus Christ! That's the worst thing I've seen this week, and I watched The Room a couple of days ago. If I were the architect, I would never leave my apartment after that.

It's worse when you see that before all the construction, there were two postwar monsters screaming for wrecking ball, but instead they demolish two nice historicist buildings and completely rape the third one. I really hope there are people fighting Vienna's current heritage handling, this is just wrong on so many levels.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 05:45 PM   #940
mietni

Likes (Received): 350

Shame on You Vienna:< What I have seen 2 posts above is unthinkable

Tags
vienna, wenen