Kenya Airways - Page 172 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Transport and Infrastructure

Transport and Infrastructure Transport, infrastructure and other related discussions

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 3rd, 2019, 09:15 PM   #3421
abckris

Likes (Received): 2347

The insurance principle of indemnity applies right there, I hear you buddy.
abckris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2019, 09:15 PM   #3422
Okwonkwo

Likes (Received): 193

that stowaway issue is very dangerous. Imagine if a suicide bomber sneaks into a plane and tucks himself in the landing gear unnoticed then mid-air his bombs go off.

KAA and KCAA should ensure thorough security at JKIA.

Ekesa liked this post
Okwonkwo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2019, 02:59 AM   #3423
andegwa

Likes (Received): 4991

Kijanamwafrika liked this post
andegwa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2019, 11:47 AM   #3424
manphilo

Likes (Received): 86

Kinoti probes how KQ was looted

The Director of Criminal Investigations has begun investigating whether Kenya Airways staff conspired to bring down the airline.
The DCI wants to establish how Kenya’s national carrier lost Sh100 billion between 2003 and 2014, the nine years when Titus Naikuni was in charge.
“We are on this matter. We are working to unravel the looting that went on there,” George Kinoti, the DCI boss, told the Star.
Forensic experts have already been deployed to comb through a mountain of company records and contracts with suppliers.
The probe was triggered by an audit report prepared by the audit firm Deloitte four years ago.
The scope of the investigation includes verifying whether KQ staff were complicit in a global money-laundering ring.
The police suspect the money from the scheme could have financed terrorism in the region.
According to the Deloitte dossier, KQ used the black market to repatriate cash from Sudan, South Sudan and Ethiopia back to Nairobi.
The company used an agent identified as Khalid Mohammed Ali who charged an exorbitant fee way above the market rate and in turn made himself billions while KQ lost billions.
The dealings with Ali alone are estimated to have cost KQ Sh5.4 billion.
When KQ’s internal audit team asked why the airline contracted the agent when rival airlines complied with the rules in Ethiopia and Sudan to use the formal banking system, an email brought the inquiry to an end: the transactions had been pre-approved by then KQ chief executive officer Titus Naikuni and the finance director Alex Mbugua.
Kinoti's team is also investigating dubious transactions ranging from ticketing, cargo, jet fuel procurement, baggage manipulation to theft of parts in aircraft maintenance.
One of the key areas of investigation is the purchase of second-hand planes from KQ’s Dutch shareholder KLM at Sh2 billion and selling off the same aircraft at Sh200 million after only five years — a loss of Sh1.8 billion.
Reports have emerged where a tech-savvy employee hacked into the OASES inventory management system, created an account “rk’ and within a year made away with Sh60 million spare parts.
Deloitte auditors made an effort to get to the bottom of the mysterious account and sent a team to the firm that sold the system to KQ but never traced the culprit.
The airline lost Sh77 billion in undervalued tickets and the huge discounts allocated to travel agents who in turn charge travelers a premium.
In one case, KQ agents charged two government officials – from the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure, which represents the government in the KQ board— nearly three times the prescribed fare, but only remitted the actual price back to KQ and were paid a commission for the same sale.
The auditors believe this could be because some KQ employees secretly owned travel agencies and were, therefore, exploiting weaknesses in the pricing model to steal from the airline.
Even in the procurement of jet fuel, KQ still bought overpriced fuel on account of their hedging policy. When the maths was eventually done, it showed the airline had lost Sh3.3 billion.
The corporate greed, institutionalised shortcuts and system failures explain why Kenya Airways has been making losses despite the rise in revenues and passenger numbers.
KQ also wound up a profitable cargo subsidiary, gave its business to a rival company and paid Sh400 million to the company, instead of expanding its cargo capacity, the auditors said.
In 2013 when Kenya Airways made a loss of Sh7.8 billion – for the first time after years of making profits—the national carrier blamed the travel advisories issued against the country by key market sources in the West due to fears of retaliatory attacks from the al Shabbab terror group, together with the challenges associated with the General Election of that year.
https://www.the-star.co.ke/amp/news/...mpression=true
manphilo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2019, 06:28 PM   #3425
dbrown

Likes (Received): 420

Duh, maajabu haya, this audit report has been in existence since 2016 and no criminal case has been brought to court since then?
So if the new DCI hadn't gone 'out of his way' to persue this investigation the report would still be gathering dust...

The government needs to take audit reports seriously, if those in charge of our resources can't account for the monies they spent its usually the first signal of either corruption or gross negligence... This alone should be grounds for dismissal ... E.g I don't know why the health CS is still in office yet in the Auditor generals report she couldn't account for about 60% of her spending/budget..

andegwa liked this post
dbrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2019, 11:21 PM   #3426
Dhuks

Likes (Received): 3144

How Titus Naikuni and Kenya Airways Executives Messed the KQ 507 Douala Crash of 2007

Quote:
By Dan Okwiri

As I pen my Journal and memoirs (may I forewarn you today’s issue is lengthy it’s really a book), I wish to reflect on an event which till today still haunts me, the KQ 507 air crash in Doula (DLA) Cameroon on 5 May 2007.

Since my experience in KQ and especially on the above unfortunate incident, I have internally debated whether I should reflect on it and I feel its time I let the emotions that have battled. Africans rarely document events or their lives. I wish to pen about the human side of the crash and how the bodies of the victims were repatriated back home.

DLA is interwoven with my life journey and I haven’t told the world why the human remains were stuck in DLA for 6 months. with nobody explaining why.

This is the story. I cannot write the whole story as some of it is better not said but before I get to rest this is the general wind of events.
https://www.kahawatungu.com/2019/09/...medium=twitter

bentonic liked this post
Dhuks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 03:41 PM   #3427
thebonz
Ea Rocks

Likes (Received): 1626

Quote:
High Frequency of Kenya Airways Flight Interruptions Causing Embarrassment for Travelers

Monrovia – One of Africa’s leading and previously reliable airlines has been experiencing a high volume of flight cancellations and delays in recent weeks prompting many travelers across the continent to experience unnecessary embarrassments.

The airline recently announced that it had been forced to divert some flights after bad weather disrupted normal operations at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi. However, passengers on most flights covering Liberia, Sierra Leone and other West African countries have been forced to change travel plans or sit on planes for five or six hours after boarding, leading to cancellations.
Read more here
https://frontpageafricaonline.com/bu...for-travelers/
thebonz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 12:01 AM   #3428
CaspertheDj
ici maintenant & toujours

Likes (Received): 1531

More news...Head of Material Planning exits KQ. This is in addition to the Head of Finance as was reported by the Nation here.

Kalpa have not shown their hand yet on the news KQ intends to hire contract pilots for their B737 fleet. There was word their might strike. Given they have just announced reducing their frequencies to Cotonou and Libreville, its the beginning of tough times at KQ
CaspertheDj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 05:52 AM   #3429
abckris

Those are the smells coming from nationalization of the airline.
Old September 20th, 2019, 09:01 AM   #3430
Kenya Patriot

Likes (Received): 1262

The problem with KQ are that nobody cares if the airline makes money or not. Pilots are earning top wages like Emirates and we need more. But their union wants airline to wait for local pilots for years until they gain enough flying hours to qualify for those jobs. Currently for KQ to fill those positions then it has to look for them abroad. KQ paid 5 billion last year for flight delays due to lack of pilots to fly the planes. What KQ proposes is to temporarily contract SAA captains to fly them as our own in the private sector earn flying hours to apply for those positions.

That's the problem with KQ, everyone things of themselves first and the airline last then will wonder why its experienced a crisis in the last few years. Previous management corrupt deals, striking crew who don't give quality service and a ballooning debt sheet.

warthog liked this post
Kenya Patriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 09:52 AM   #3431
osebehk

Likes (Received): 43

This thread should just be closed. The problems with KQ are intentional and strategically planned to suit a few people at the expense of national pride. We need not to even waste our energy on it. If there was goodwill, KQ would have been in the league of the big boys like Emirates and British Airways.
osebehk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 10:52 AM   #3432
brian the real story

Likes (Received): 1770

This is slow paced dying of KQ just show the sorry state when coming to management and runaway corruption is deep rooted and widening.Such show on how even we deal with country affairs,I can't say we Wake Up as a Country,but tulikataa.We reaping what we sowed people
Old September 20th, 2019, 02:03 PM   #3433
Mist™
Mist™

Likes (Received): 338

KENYA AIRWAYS SELLING THE B 787s

I really hope they know what they are doing here. Of all their aircraft they somehow decided to sell their most efficient ones?!!

https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/...3tz/index.html
Mist™ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 02:21 PM   #3434
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 3247

Paul Gwe liked this post
Kenguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 05:35 PM   #3435
Alpha2

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mist™ View Post
I really hope they know what they are doing here. Of all their aircraft they somehow decided to sell their most efficient ones?!!

https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/...3tz/index.html
NO..you got it wrong. Read the article again..its a SALE and LEASEBACK..A good option to generate cashflow then you lease the same equipment at monthly rates. Selling all those aircraft would be tantamount to shutting down operations!! Hahahaha

“Kenya Airways is conducting a series of sale and leaseback transactions covering 6 x B787-8, B777-300 and GEnx spare engine,” said the contract document.

"Kenya Airways (popularly known as KQ) will lease back the aircraft after selling them, according to contract documents between the airline and Air Partner seen by the Business Daily...."

andegwa liked this post
Alpha2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 01:16 AM   #3436
ArrestedDev

Likes (Received): 58

No one should blame the pilots. The management and the board is the problem. They are trying to apportion blame.

According to KALPA there are pilots in the Kenyan market who can be hired by KQ. The pay at Emirates is not same as what KQ pilots earn. Otherwise, they could not have been leaving KQ in large numbers.

Sale and lease back of equipment shows the management have no more options left to raise money. The cost of leases will almost equal the current loan repayments for these equipment right now.

Proceeds from the sale might not cover the outstanding loans.

Another forum reports that the CFO refused to sign off on the below. The details are from a KQ staff. It is pure conflict of interest by the directors and the board. I guess the directors are acting on behalf of the board members. Very ridiculous if the claims are true.

(i) Ursula Silling wants some ERP system that was purchased just last year at a cost of 4m to be changed ...She handpicked the vendor and the cost for the new one is 20m ...Hellen refused to sign off on this.

(ii) KQ has a contract with HP ...actually they just got new HP laptops for most of the staff the other day ...Clare Ward wanted it to be changed to Dell for no reason at all extra cost for to the company for no use.She refused to sign off on this also...

(iii) The last one is interesting... An overhaul of the contact centre so a new contract on the same ... The wazungus manipulated the process and the vendor who was 3rd was supposed to get the contract... The vendor comes from a company connected to Clare.
ArrestedDev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 02:00 AM   #3437
osebehk

Likes (Received): 43

KQ is a cash-cow for one family. When you read the surname Ngunze anywhere you know exactly who is benefiting. That surname appears close to everywhere where aviation and banking issues are concerned. Please just close this thread and save patriotic citizens like me the depression. Ours is state-capture and we inflicted it on ourselves in 2013.
osebehk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 02:01 AM   #3438
andegwa

Likes (Received): 4991

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrestedDev View Post

Another forum reports that the CFO refused to sign off on the below. The details are from a KQ staff. It is pure conflict of interest by the directors and the board. I guess the directors are acting on behalf of the board members. Very ridiculous if the claims are true.

(i) Ursula Silling wants some ERP system that was purchased just last year at a cost of 4m to be changed ...She handpicked the vendor and the cost for the new one is 20m ...Hellen refused to sign off on this.

(ii) KQ has a contract with HP ...actually they just got new HP laptops for most of the staff the other day ...Clare Ward wanted it to be changed to Dell for no reason at all extra cost for to the company for no use.She refused to sign off on this also...

(iii) The last one is interesting... An overhaul of the contact centre so a new contract on the same ... The wazungus manipulated the process and the vendor who was 3rd was supposed to get the contract... The vendor comes from a company connected to Clare.
This are some pretty outrageous claims if true.. can you please provide a link to this forum/source of info.. curious to see the proof that the source of the above has to help verify this
Old September 21st, 2019, 07:17 PM   #3439
Netlink

Likes (Received): 6705

So we brought in a doctor Sebastian Mikosz. Apparently he had experience and had turned around another airline that was ailing. He came in assessed the situation, diagnosed the cancer and prescribed some treatment.

Some one did not like the medicine.

So now we are back in bed, sick trying to find another doctor who will tell us, yes you have cancer. By then the cancer will have spread to too many vital organs. Diagnosis.. grim..only a few more months to live....
The pilots will happily move to Emirates and other Middle East carriers and the rest of KQ staff will be back in the streets fighting with everyone else to sell Mitumba, Nyoyo, Githeri, and my favorite machome na masambe... life goes on.

Kenya Patriot liked this post
Netlink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 09:27 PM   #3440
abckris

Less than a year ago we were all celebrating the Direct flights to New York City, how times change fast. Wow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement