LONDON - Stamford Bridge (41,631 -> 60,000) - Page 126 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2019, 04:10 AM   #2501
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 23586

http://hannaisabella.com/portfolio/i...rmann-partner/
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2019, 10:53 PM   #2502
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 23586

Quote:
Chelsea confirm new stadium plans remain on hold as permit deadline looms

Planning permission expires in less than six months

“The Club confirmed there are no developments regarding the new stadium so the project remains on hold.”

-source: Chelsea Supporters Group
https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation....deadline-looms

RobH, stelsy liked this post
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2019, 11:18 PM   #2503
EPA001

Likes (Received): 10859

So is the Abramovich situ still holding the project back or are there other issues as well?
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2019, 11:53 AM   #2504
mrparkersdogbite

Likes (Received): 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA001 View Post
So is the Abramovich situ still holding the project back or are there other issues as well?
I'd say the main issues, along with Roman's visa status, are:
  • The proposed project would be hugely expensive and Roman may well not want to pick up the bill.
  • The plan to decamp to Wembley for 3 or 4 seasons (possibly even more) was extremely unpopular with supporters
  • Finally, there is still a great deal of uncertainty regarding the Brexit situation in the UK. I doubt anyone is signing-off on major investments right now.
Personally, I just can't see this current scheme ever being resurrected in its original form. I think that moment has passed now.
mrparkersdogbite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2019, 04:12 PM   #2505
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrparkersdogbite View Post
[*]Finally, there is still a great deal of uncertainty regarding the Brexit situation in the UK. I doubt anyone is signing-off on major investments right now. [/LIST]
I haven't got time to list all the projects and investments being signed off as we speak, to disprove this, but I'm 100% certain that this isn't a reason.

Macred, derekhales liked this post
BhamJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2019, 04:39 PM   #2506
mrparkersdogbite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamJim View Post
I haven't got time to list all the projects and investments being signed off as we speak, to disprove this, but I'm 100% certain that this isn't a reason.
Happy to take your word for it but I know it's been cited as one of the reasons for the original project suspension.
Old October 16th, 2019, 07:33 PM   #2507
Macred

Likes (Received): 1572

Quote:
Happy to take your word for it but I know it's been cited as one of the reasons for the original project suspension.
Everton are building half billion plus stadium. Look around there are plenty of major projects on the go. Steel comes from China not Europe.

derekhales, stelsy liked this post
Macred no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2019, 11:23 PM   #2508
Hemi 426

Likes (Received): 554

Apart from the uncertainty over Brexit, finance, etc, the Stoll Mansions deal wasn't taken into consideration with the planning application. There is a question whether an entire new application would have to be made for an alteration to a part of the new stadium or simply one for the amended area.

I guess they could begin some initial demolition work to one of the ancillary buildings or structures next March to comply with the first of the deadlines. Under the terms, demolition of the present stadium has a deadline two and a half years away. But new stadium or not, the decking over the railway lines including direct access to Fulham Broadway Station would be hugely beneficial and something the club must be keen to proceed with at least.
Hemi 426 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2019, 01:46 AM   #2509
mrparkersdogbite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi 426 View Post
But new stadium or not, the decking over the railway lines including direct access to Fulham Broadway Station would be hugely beneficial and something the club must be keen to proceed with at least.
The problem with just going ahead with the decking and access to Fulham Broadway without the stadium development is that, while it would offer long-term benefits, no additional income would come from it, Same goes with the Stoll deal really, much as it would very likely make sense eventually.
Old October 17th, 2019, 06:22 PM   #2510
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 4382

Do Chelsea actually need a new stadium? What's the primary goal? More revenue? Then just modernize existing stands and build in more club seating. Higher capacity? Seems like they could they simply modernize and rebuild the stadium stand by stand. Seemed to work for Manchester City and Liverpool. Sure there may be less acreage to work with at Stamford Bridge, but I'm sure architects can be creative.

With Tottenham and Everton, new stadiums are understandable, but with Chelsea, depending on what the primary goal is, I'm not so sure. Outside of simply wanting to build a monumental structure for aesthetic/ego purposes, perhaps there are other options beyond tearing the entire thing down and rebuilding from scratch.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

ChrisDR1968, Rugster, stelsy, neander liked this post
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2019, 09:40 PM   #2511
SteveCourty

Likes (Received): 149

Man City had a new stadium....
SteveCourty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 07:01 PM   #2512
coys500

Likes (Received): 368

Why is Chelsea more understandable than Spurs. WHL was 38k the bridge is 40k what’s the difference. Adding on bits to a stadium is a pretty antiquated way to do things unless you are doing it on the scale of Real Madrid. Invariably you just end up with a hotch potch with poor sight lines that just looks awful and out of date in 20 years. With the possibility of TV deals going into decline and Roman walking away. Gate receipts and stadium revenue could be crucial in coming years.

EPA001, stingrayj, Alanzeh, Atlantropa liked this post
coys500 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 07:29 PM   #2513
RobH

Likes (Received): 16808

WHL was 36k, SB is 42k...slightly bigger difference than you're making out.

SB is also able to get about 50% more revenue per matchday than WHL mostly because the premium facilities are better.

There's still a very good case for Chelsea building new, but the leap we've made with NWHL compared to WHL is bigger than Chelsea will make with a new stadium because they're starting from a higher base. So it is more understandable in Spurs' case. On top of that, as we know, it's a helluva awkward project getting a new stadium on the site of the existing SB.

All that said, I still think it'd be short-termist for Chelsea not to build anew...perhaps going for something less extravagant than the H&dM design.
Old October 19th, 2019, 09:27 PM   #2514
ChrisDR1968

Likes (Received): 575

You mean to go from this (capacity 40,834):

To this (approximate capacity 50,000):

Instead of this (capacity 60,000):

mrparkersdogbite liked this post
ChrisDR1968 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2019, 04:14 PM   #2515
mrparkersdogbite

It's the vaguest of vague, speculative hints but this was in the article about Roman Abramovich in the Telegraph today:

Quote:
Friends have advised him to at least consider a flurry of recent takeover interest. Much was made of an approach by Sir Jim Ratcliffe, founder of the Ineos petrochemicals empire, and there have also been a slew of whispers about US and Asian-based consortia. The Telegraph understands a third expression of interest was tabled by a Middle East backer prior to the end of last season, but sources close to Abramovich are adamant: "The club is not for sale."

One Moscow associate remains skeptical. "Roman simply wants at least £3 billion before he will start listening." Club executives, meanwhile, remain hopeful that the "paused" Stamford Bridge redevelopment could be back on the agenda within months. Mark Thompson, of sports sponsorship firm Kore, believes the immediate returns in stadium naming rights and increased revenue make the ongoing delays nonsensical. "I'm sure he will be keen to progress development," he said.

To do so, Abramovich would have to swallow his pride. During those endless nights of luxury on the Eclipse, the anger at his treatment by Britain appears to have festered.

stelsy liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2019, 07:08 PM   #2516
neander

Likes (Received): 9

I hate it.. should "just" do this instead. (I found it earlier in the Stamford Bridge thread.)

http://i.imgur.com/yiUF4ie.jpg

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showt...079233&page=13

I doubt that colossus will ever be built and Roman seems to have lost the interest in it. Maybe he was the one who pushed for the monstrous design to really make an impact and leave a mark a la old soviet and third reich style.. I never understood the design though.

Last edited by neander; October 23rd, 2019 at 07:21 PM.
neander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2019, 07:12 PM   #2517
mrparkersdogbite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neander View Post
I hate it.. should just do this instead. (I found it earlier in the thread.)

I doubt that colossus will ever be built and Roman seems to have lost the interest in it. Maybe he was the one who pushed for the monstrous design to really make an impact and leave a mark a la old soviet and third reich style.. I never understood the design though.
That's just the West Stand replicated four times. Totally impossible given the amount of space available.

As noted earlier in the thread, I don't think the H&dM design will now be built either. More's the pity.
Old October 23rd, 2019, 07:50 PM   #2518
neander

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
That's just the West Stand replicated four times. Totally impossible given the amount of space available.

As noted earlier in the thread, I don't think the H&dM design will now be built either. More's the pity.
What I mean really is just do one stand at the time like people said earlier on this thread page.. and keep the same design as the West Stand and do locational adjustments where space isn't available.. probably around 2 corners/sides then. Has this even ever been official made design? I´m not an expert on Stamford Bridge nor a Chelsea fan so but I am interested in stadium designs and I am not seeing many alternativ expansions nor before or after the current one was decided.

I personally think a lot of clubs has got ideas after the watching the Anfield expansion and and maybe a bit the New White Hart Lane as well and maybe not do these futuristic looking dropped form the sky ones but do a reasonable expansion on site and continue playing for at least a large part trough it. In general new stadiums/expansions look a lot less alien now than they did only just 5 or 10 years ago. The stadium designs clubs/cities coming up with in Europe at the moment.

The Fulham one looks a lot different now as well than from the original proposal. More in harmony with the surroundings and not as much change.

Last edited by neander; October 23rd, 2019 at 08:07 PM.
neander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2019, 09:34 PM   #2519
SteveCourty

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by neander View Post
I hate it.. should "just" do this instead. (I found it earlier in the Stamford Bridge thread.)

http://i.imgur.com/yiUF4ie.jpg

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showt...079233&page=13

I like this. I always thought the design that went through would actually look terrible in real life. Sometimes the renders don’t tell you how it’ll look after 10 years.
SteveCourty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 05:49 PM   #2520
mrparkersdogbite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCourty View Post
I like this. I always thought the design that went through would actually look terrible in real life. Sometimes the renders don’t tell you how it’ll look after 10 years.
Even leaving aside the impracticalities of locating that design on the highly restricted Stamford Bridge site, it's just a bog standard mid-90s football stadium. For me, a unique football club in a unique location deserves a unique stadium. The H&dM design provided that. I know it wasn't for everyone but then great architecture never is.

kiwi1691, Hemi 426, stingrayj liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
london, stadiums