Visiting Hungary - Helpdesk - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hungary

Hungary Magyar fórum » Budapest

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM   #101
Sieg
Germano-Hungarian

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Like what?
Sometimes really funny things
In Trier there is quite a lot of Hungarian food available (Pick salami, ham, full chickens deliberately advertised as Hungarian - I was really surprised by that, Hungarian-flavored chips was a really big hit), there was even a Lángos-house at the Christmas market. Many of the people I met knew Hungarian authors and Hungarian literature, such as the works of Márai Sándor and Imre Kertész. More than half of the Germans I spoke I talked about this with had been to Hungary, many of the several times - and this is the far West. Hungarian culture seems to be much more present in Germany than any other from this region - it's not something like a huge influence, but people have a clue about Hungary. So all I'm saying is that Hungary is not THAT small and not THAT unknown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2008, 09:03 PM   #102
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1178

Wow. I imagined some thing else. For example,when we were abroad,we always met hungarians(tourists),be it Paris,southern Italy or Tunisia...we even saw an Ikarus is Tunis!
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 09:30 PM   #103
jkramb

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tersyxus View Post
Yeah, Germany is not a place where the name Hungary sounds unfamiliar to ordinary people even to youngsters. But since jkramb is from Indiana to him Hungary is a small and far-away country for sure. Were he German I wouldn't have written things like that because an educated German must know that we used to be always almost on the same level of development in history. Collegium Hungaricum in Berlin is only one thing proving Germans are more interested in Hungarian culture than in almost all of the rest in CE, say Belorussian.
Well, I certainly am not an expert on Hungarian culture, but I love the folk music. people in the US aren't idiots, we have heard of Hungary, and listen to Bartók and such. I actually live in Vienna right now because I'm studying there for a year. When I visited Budapest in September I loved it. The dancing and music are great, and the overall feel is great. It's such an exotic feeling place without really being that exotic. It's a great place to just wander around and get lost.
jkramb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:11 PM   #104
RawLee

Bartók is the best we can offer? OMG...I knew our "pop"culture isnt something,but less popular/known than Bartók...just kidding
Old December 24th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #105
jkramb

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Bartók is the best we can offer? OMG...I knew our "pop"culture isnt something,but less popular/known than Bartók...just kidding
I'm a classically trained musician though, and I LOOVVVEEE the music of Belá Bartók. He is my favorite composer. I definitely don't know any new pop musicians from Hungary. If you recommend something though, I will check it out.

By the way, I ate at a delicious Hungarian restaraunt tonight. I can't remember, or pronounce the name, but it was on a small side street right next to the British embassy.
jkramb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #106
Kontúr
Hajrá Magyarország!

Likes (Received): 13

If you like classical music you should visit Fertőd/Eszterháza near Sopron the work place of Joseph Haydn. It is on the way to Vienna.
Kontúr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #107
petet

Likes (Received): 24

Visting Budapest

Hi Guys!
I can't find a thread for asking about Budapest (or I'm too blind now to see it,I'm sorry) so I want to ask.
Me and my friend are going to visit Budapest for P!nk's concert in Papp László Budapest Sportaréna in March 24 by train from Sofia for 3 days.So I want to ask if someone can give me a little explonation where is the stadium,picture from inside and some hotels around 40E/night (in good condition of course).
So we start our trip:
23 March - 11:00 a.m - Sofia
24 March - 05:00 a.m - Budapest - 18 hours total by train
24 March - Free Time
24 March - 20:00 p.m - The Concert
Sleeping
25 March - free time until 23:00 p.m and back to Sofia

We was thinking Budapest,Vienna(tickets are sold out) or Paris and we choosed Budapest.I've always want to visit it and hope we will have a great time.

So could you answer about the hotels (max 40E/night/person)?How to go to the stadium with the public transport or metro from the hotel to the stadium? And photos inside of the stadium?
Any good places for night life (haha I'm only 17 sooo a place where we can enter in the night),sightseengs and everything that will help to us to have a nice moment there?

THANKS A LOT!
petet está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #108
RawLee

Hi!

The arena is easy to get to,as it has a metro station named "stadionok"(stadiums). Besides,it is also easily reachable with tramline 1 and 1A,and there are numerous bus and trolley lines stopping there. There is a hotel just beside it,called Hotel Arena,though I couldnt find its prices.

But since the arena is located at a metro stop,you can basically reside anywhere along the line...of which I cant help,since I dont use hotels in my city. Maybe the other's know more about the tpoic.
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #109
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 6358

The last time I used trains between Hungary and Bulgaria it took over 3 days instead of 2
Bikes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #110
tersyxus
The downtown droid

Likes (Received): 4

Check out this page listing some 3-star hotels in Budapest: http://www.hotelonlinehungary.com/bu...tar-hotels.asp

You'll find not many but a few below 40 EUR.
Hotel Stadium, what Rawlee was talking about starts at 60 EUR.
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #111
petet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikes View Post
The last time I used trains between Hungary and Bulgaria it took over 3 days instead of 2
We have only 3 days free and we don't have flights in the exact day (yet) + they are really expensive like (SF-Paris-SF) sooo ... :\\ ... we "allow" 12 hours delay to the train but hope that won't happen.
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #112
petet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tersyxus View Post
Check out this page listing some 3-star hotels in Budapest: http://www.hotelonlinehungary.com/bu...tar-hotels.asp

You'll find not many but a few below 40 EUR.
Hotel Stadium, what Rawlee was talking about starts at 60 EUR.
Ideal! Thanks a lot!

Thanks to all.I won't throw aside more info too
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #113
RKC

Likes (Received): 28

take a sleeping cabin on the train, bit more expensive but soooo much more value for your money. at least to bukarest it was great, so i expect sofia too.
try http://magyar.hotels.com/
or hostels, they arent bad at all if you take your time finding a nice one, try here:
http://www.hostelworld.com/hostels/B...FQ0gQgodRScfmQ
i could only find this photo, from some white party, but it's a pretty badass picture:
also i found this: http://www.budapest-tourist-guide.co...est-metro.html
you will probably arrive in keleti station, which is also on the same metro line.
There's an excellent night bus service if you can make out where they go. heres a map its too big just link:http://www.bkv.hu/kozlemenyek/ejsz_v...nov_kisebb.jpg then check timetables on bkv.hu
http://www.bkv.hu/english/ejszakai/index.html and buy a 10 pack ticket or something like that cause the controllers are after tourists especially on metros and trams.
have a good time
RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #114
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 12676

There is a Hotel named Danubius Hotel Arena just 1 min away from the Arena on foot... I don't know the room prices though... It's a 3 stared, as far as I know... (Former Hotel Stadion, for the others.)

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #115
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 12676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtya View Post
There is a Hotel named Danubius Hotel Arena just 1 min away from the Arena on foot... I don't know the room prices though... It's a 3 stared, as far as I know... (Former Hotel Stadion, for the others.)
http://www.danubiushotels.com/en/hotels/arena

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #116
petet

Really thanks a lot!!!
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #117
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 14875

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
take a sleeping cabin on the train, bit more expensive but soooo much more value for your money. at least to bukarest it was great, so i expect sofia too.
try http://magyar.hotels.com/
or hostels, they arent bad at all if you take your time finding a nice one, try here:
http://www.hostelworld.com/hostels/B...FQ0gQgodRScfmQ
i could only find this photo, from some white party, but it's a pretty badass picture:
also i found this: http://www.budapest-tourist-guide.co...est-metro.html
you will probably arrive in keleti station, which is also on the same metro line.
There's an excellent night bus service if you can make out where they go. heres a map its too big just link:http://www.bkv.hu/kozlemenyek/ejsz_v...nov_kisebb.jpg then check timetables on bkv.hu
http://www.bkv.hu/english/ejszakai/index.html and buy a 10 pack ticket or something like that cause the controllers are after tourists especially on metros and trams.
have a good time

I see you're (maybe) a trance music fan. I've seen a lot of Hungarians coming to Bucharest for Tiesto's trance shows hosted yearly in December. Have you been there?
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #118
Ultra84

Likes (Received): 8606

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
it's not Papp László Aréna.
This is the Schalke 04 Arena in Gelsenkirchen.
Ultra84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #119
Ultra84

Likes (Received): 8606

Papp László Sports Arena

Ultra84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #120
MagyarGyerek
born2win

Likes (Received): 0

so petet wuts ur fave pink song ?! :P
Arra, hogy mit mond bennem az Isten