USA, MEXICO & CANADA - 2026 FIFA World Cup™ - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2015, 01:47 AM   #21
fidalgo
the mitty

Likes (Received): 31242

if WC is to return to USA, I bet it will be by 2030, centennial edition
fidalgo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2015, 03:50 AM   #22
carlosfng

Likes (Received): 628

I think it will be US for 2026. Simply because Concacaf hasn't hosted since 94. You could argue it could be also Canada or Mexico, but I doubt it - Canada is a nice country, but probably won't want to spend much on a sport that isn't their favorite; and Mexico has a huge footballing culture, but not too deep pockets (could end up similar to Brazil, who struggled a lot).
Someone else mentioned Colombia, or an Andean countries joint bid; as an Ecuadorian I'd be honored, but idk if it would be feasible. We don't know how those countries will be in 10 years, and at best it would probably be a Brazil-like scenario again. Plus, it seems Conmebol really wants to go in as whole for the 2030 Uruguay-Argentina bid; which would render moot any other South American bids right before or after. Oh and idk if anyone outside Conmebol will be able to stand the high altitudes of Bogota or Quito...

Anyway, we'll see...

willygtoc liked this post
carlosfng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 08:54 AM   #23
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 1017

About Canada's bid for the 2026 FIFA World Cup:

It'll be tough to get over 8 to 12 stadiums within Canada to meet the strict requirements for hosting FIFA WC games. Al venues must have at least 40,000 for group and second round matches, and 60,000 for the quarter-finals and beyond. The majority of stadiums in any FIFS WC bid from Canada will be stadiums where a Canadian Football League team is the primary tenant. The only stadium in Canada that is capable of hosting a WC final (or rather, anything beyond the quarterfinal stage) is Montreal's Olympic Stadium, which has a capacity of 65,000. If a potential WC final venue were to be created for Toronto (likely over a 70,000 capacity), it would easily end up a white elephant after the WC, like Montreal's Olympic Stadium.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.

carlosfng liked this post
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2015, 09:02 AM   #24
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 365

Please someone besides the US. England or Canada please.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #25
carlosfng

Erm, why not? You may not like soccer, but ratings show many Americans do, and lots more probably will. Don't worry, your own sports (which other than basketball also descended from European sports) will still be the most popular. And your children and grandchildren will still speak English... and perhaps like soccer too. So don't worry, be happy .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post

It'll be tough to get over 8 to 12 stadiums within Canada to meet the strict requirements for hosting FIFA WC games. Al venues must have at least 40,000 for group and second round matches, and 60,000 for the quarter-finals and beyond. The majority of stadiums in any FIFS WC bid from Canada will be stadiums where a Canadian Football League team is the primary tenant. The only stadium in Canada that is capable of hosting a WC final (or rather, anything beyond the quarterfinal stage) is Montreal's Olympic Stadium, which has a capacity of 65,000. If a potential WC final venue were to be created for Toronto (likely over a 70,000 capacity), it would easily end up a white elephant after the WC, like Montreal's Olympic Stadium.
I see what you mean. Yeah, it's not really feasible. It'd be US 94 again, except in a quite smaller population. And while soccer is growing a lot in Canada, idk if it will grow enough to make up for that population and infrastructure deficit.
Old March 26th, 2015, 04:06 PM   #26
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 5063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post

This is the known obstacle, however there might be an answer behind London's Olympic stadium concept - A venue intended to be disassembled. Especially with Toronto still pining for an Olympic games, it's possible that city could build a 70k+ stadium with the bulk of the structure intended to disassembled after the events, with its various pieces then finding homes at schools and other venues after the fact. If this is indeed the only prominent obstacle to a WC that might prove a very viable solution, pending an available location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Please someone besides the US. England or Canada please.
Two posts echoing this anti-US thought. What's the hubbub, bub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosfng View Post
I see what you mean. Yeah, it's not really feasible. It'd be US 94 again, except in a quite smaller population. And while soccer is growing a lot in Canada, idk if it will grow enough to make up for that population and infrastructure deficit.
I'm missing the comparison to USA '94, which was considered a raving success. How does that relate to a Canadian bid you infer has issues and might yield white elephants?
Old March 27th, 2015, 10:57 AM   #27
dvjmarcomatheus

Likes (Received): 92

-2014 Brazil
-2018 Russia
-2022 Quatar
-2026 EUA
-2030 England [100 Ediction]
-2034 China
-2038 Colombia
-2042 Spain
-2046 India

brandpb liked this post
dvjmarcomatheus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 09:53 PM   #28
Laurence2011
Currywurst king

Likes (Received): 244

They won't have another tournament in the same region immediately after 2022...

carlosfng liked this post
Laurence2011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 04:28 AM   #29
andydie

Likes (Received): 25

i highly doubt that FIFA will give a WC again to a middle eastern country this century
andydie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 04:53 AM   #30
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 11142

These were the candidate host cities for the US 2022 bid. Suffice it to say, I thought they could have done better:

Atlanta: Georgia Dome
Baltimore: M&T Bank Stadium
Boston (Foxborough): Gillette Stadium
Dallas: Cotton Bowl
Dallas (Arlington): Cowboys Stadium
Denver: Invesco Field
Houston: Reliant Stadium
Indianapolis: Lucas Oil Stadium
Kansas City: Arrowhead Stadium
Los Angeles: Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
Los Angeles (Pasadena): Rose Bowl
Miami (Miami Gardens): SunLife Stadium
Nashville: LP Field
New York (East Rutherford): MetLife Stadium
Philadelphia: Lincoln Financial Field
Phoenix (Glendale): University of Phoenix Stadium
San Diego: Qualcomm Stadium
Seattle: CenturyLink Field
Seattle: Husky Stadium
Tampa: Raymond James Stadium
Washington: FedEx Field

They were missing 3 major metros: Chicago, Detroit, and San Francisco. They also made some really shitty choices. Indianapolis is not a soccer city, it's not really an exciting place either for foreign visitors. Remove it. Nashville is not a soccer city. Remove it. Baltimore is not a soccer city and is close to Washington. Remove it. Those 3 alone provide space for the 3 big ones missed. I would also have replaced Phoenix with Portland, which has a very, very strong soccer culture. Tampa should also be replaced with Orlando which has a strong new club and would draw major crowds. But that one is secondary given how close Orlando and Tampa are.

So...
-Baltimore
-Indianapolis
-Nashville
-Phoenix
-Tampa

+Chicago
+Detroit
+Orlando
+Portland
+San Francisco

For...
Atlanta
Boston
Chicago
Dallas
Denver
Detroit
Houston
Kansas City
Los Angeles
Miami
New York
Orlando
Philadelphia
Portland
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle
Washington

and I'm bump it up to 24 cities like in the 2006 World Cup. Japan and South Korea have about 177 million people between them and did 20. I think the United States, approaching 325 million can handle 24 cities. And with 24 an effort should be made to fill in the remaining US MLS host cities: +Columbus, +Minneapolis*, +Salt Lake City and then add in Austin, Tampa and a wild card like Las Vegas or Honolulu (neither could host right now though)

Atlanta (6,775,511) - Boston (8,285,407) - Chicago (9,866,910) - Cleveland (3,599,264) - Dallas (7,948,477) - Denver (3,572,798) - Detroit (5,353,002) - Houston (7,183,143)
Los Angeles (18,764,814) - Miami (6,913,262) - Minneapolis (3,999,565) - New York (22,679,948) - Orlando (4,096,575) - Philadelphia (7,204,035) - Phoenix (4,911,851)
Portland (3,239,335) - San Diego (3,343,364) - San Francisco (9,666,055) - Seattle (4,853,364) - Tampa (3,142,663) - Washington (9,796,147)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #31
carlosfng

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
This is the known obstacle, however there might be an answer behind London's Olympic stadium concept - A venue intended to be disassembled. Especially with Toronto still pining for an Olympic games, it's possible that city could build a 70k+ stadium with the bulk of the structure intended to disassembled after the events, with its various pieces then finding homes at schools and other venues after the fact. If this is indeed the only prominent obstacle to a WC that might prove a very viable solution, pending an available location.

I'm missing the comparison to USA '94, which was considered a raving success. How does that relate to a Canadian bid you infer has issues and might yield white elephants?
The comparison to USA 94 wasn't a negative one; I just pointed the similarity in that it'd bring soccer to an English-speaking place that (probably) wont have its own league nor will have soccer as its main sport.

The negatives are like you said, the white elephants - but I had forgotten about the temporary stands solution. In that case, a Canadian WC may indeed be feasible...
Old March 28th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #32
carlosfng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
These were the candidate host cities for the US 2022 bid. Suffice it to say, I thought they could have done better:

They were missing 3 major metros: Chicago, Detroit, and San Francisco. They also made some really shitty choices. Indianapolis is not a soccer city, it's not really an exciting place either for foreign visitors. Remove it. Nashville is not a soccer city. Remove it. Baltimore is not a soccer city and is close to Washington. Remove it. Those 3 alone provide space for the 3 big ones missed. I would also have replaced Phoenix with Portland, which has a very, very strong soccer culture. Tampa should also be replaced with Orlando which has a strong new club and would draw major crowds. But that one is secondary given how close Orlando and Tampa are.

So...
-Baltimore
-Indianapolis
-Nashville
-Phoenix
-Tampa

+Chicago
+Detroit
+Orlando
+Portland
+San Francisco

For...
Atlanta
Boston
Chicago
Dallas
Denver
Detroit
Houston
Kansas City
Los Angeles
Miami
New York
Orlando
Philadelphia
Portland
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle
Washington

and I'm bump it up to 24 cities like in the 2006 World Cup. Japan and South Korea have about 177 million people between them and did 20. I think the United States, approaching 325 million can handle 24 cities. And with 24 an effort should be made to fill in the remaining US MLS host cities: +Columbus, +Minneapolis*, +Salt Lake City and then add in Austin, Tampa and a wild card like Las Vegas or Honolulu (neither could host right now though)

The US is a huge country, do you know how much traveling only 32 teams will have to make around the 24 cities you suggest? There are 40 games in the WC, so no city would probably have more than 2 measly games. Also, the 2022 list indeed had the crap choices you mentioned, but that is because they were probably going to be dropped later, so as to achieve a more comfortable 12-14 number of host cities. There's a deeper rea$on why that bid didn't win...
Old March 28th, 2015, 07:47 PM   #33
That London Fella

Likes (Received): 26

Slightly unrelated but I feel that the US should also focus on getting some club world cups. In my opinion it should be played there every year.

Its the easiest location for everyone to get to from all continents firstly. I'm sorry but playing this tournament in Japan just kills it for European teams who are the main draw, because its so far away! Also easier for Mexican, south American and African teams to get to the US

Secondly, soccer is really taking off in America and I'm sure most US fans would love the prospect of a European champion like real Madrid etc coming to the country mid season when they are in full flight domestically to play competitive football rather than the pre season friendlies currently played.

In addition to this, the fact that the US has so many nationalities means that the south American nations, Mexican especially (less so for the African and Asian teams) Will have massive support there. Of course US based Barca/Bayern/real etcfans would also be cheering on their team.

In addition the fact that the MLS champion would compete in the tournament would be great for the MLS. The galaxy or sounders having the opportunity to go up against the best Europe and south America has to offer would only further increase interest.

I think it's a no brainer. Then again I'm not entirely sure what the costs of staging the tournament are and the added fact that its played during NFL season and US winter is a problem.
That London Fella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #34
Kot Bazilio

Likes (Received): 3138

I think WC 2026 would be in North America...I dont want it, becourse difference between time zones where i live is very uncomfortable to watch. I prefer Europe again
Kot Bazilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 01:21 AM   #35
irving1903

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:

Nobody was putting in SF so long as Candlestick remained the main venue, the Bay Area is obviously going to be included in a 2026 bid now that Levi's is completed - even if they have to tweak the corners.

You also have to throw Minneapolis into the mix with their new stadium.

I'd really only drop San Diego, unless they get a new stadium, and Baltimore.

OH AND CHICAGO HAS TO HOST !!! THEY CAN'T IGNORE CHICAGO AGAIN
irving1903 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 02:08 AM   #36
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2968

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
China does love soccer and is vying to be the largest economy in the world, so given the chance I think they'd love to host.
I guess the chinese people would lose enthusiasm for the WC, if their team finished the group stage on a 4th place.

A host nation should have a realistic chance to make it in the round of 16!

Give it to North America.
GEwinnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 02:31 AM   #37
alexru

Likes (Received): 103

I think that a WC should be held in a country where football is the most popular sport. In the United States there are other sports which are more popular.

They should really give the WC 2026 to Colombia and Ecuador.I mean this are football crazy countries which simply deserve to hold such a championship.

But still the secuirty issue needs to be fixed there.
alexru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 03:22 AM   #38
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 940

Quote:

So...
-Baltimore
-Indianapolis
-Nashville
-Phoenix
-Tampa

+Chicago
+Detroit
+Orlando
+Portland
+San Francisco

For...
Atlanta
Boston
Chicago
Dallas
Denver
Detroit
Houston
Kansas City
Los Angeles
Miami
New York
Orlando
Philadelphia
Portland
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle
Washington

I agree with your post, but about replacing Phoenix for Portland. Its soccer stadium has a capacity of only 22,000 places.
Old March 29th, 2015, 05:38 AM   #39
brandpb

Likes (Received): 421

C O L O M B I A 2026.

brandpb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #40
Kobo

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexru View Post
I think that a WC should be held in a country where football is the most popular sport. In the United States there are other sports which are more popular.

They should really give the WC 2026 to Colombia and Ecuador.I mean this are football crazy countries which simply deserve to hold such a championship.

But still the secuirty issue needs to be fixed there.
Football is one of the most popular sport played in the US at amateur level with 14 million playershttp://www.statista.com/statistics/2...r-players-usa/. At the Brazil World Cup the American team had the second most number of fans at the tournament after Brazil and the US 1994 World Cup still holds the record for highest attendance of any World Cup. Football in America is very popular.
Kobo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fifa world cup, world cup