103 Colmore Row | Former Natwest Tower| 35fl | 135/160m | Original Proposal | Canc. - Page 15 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 16th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #281
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 271

I think so. Square/ rectangular floorplates do certainly seem more favourable in office buildings. Rotunda was an all out failure from the beginning.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #282
FLD

Likes (Received): 1

Colmore Row Pyramid?

FLD no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #283
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
I think so. Square/ rectangular floorplates do certainly seem more favourable in office buildings. Rotunda was an all out failure from the beginning.
With curvy office space you end up paying for space you can't/don't use. It's another reason why Tricorn isn't fully let. http://www.tricornhouse.co.uk/accommodation.htm

Last edited by U475 Foxtrot; May 16th, 2007 at 11:21 PM.
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #284
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Thanks .
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old May 17th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #285
U475 Foxtrot

It's also one of the reasons why Swiss Re had problems letting the 30 St Mary Axe.

If you follow this link you can see the inefficiency and wasted space by the window and the core which isn't good if you're paying £60 per sq ft.
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #286
feltip

Likes (Received): 510

It depends though. There is a certain amount of acceptable loss of space for an office where your known globally. If you say your offices in Gherkin, you wouldnt have anyone going 'where is that?'

Good thing is all these new developments push the requirement and expectations for good office space and British Land should be able to produce some very high quality office with a good design.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #287
U475 Foxtrot

Yes this is very true. Most companies in the city are in Finance and I've had the pleasure to deal with several based here. In fact I'm working on a scheme in Moorgate now However, although they have high aspiration, they are still bean counters.

Most businesses still prefer to have accommodation which can support their business in the long term with less wasted space. And companies which are based in the Gherkin are making quite a statement about themselves which not all wish to. I wouldn't have thought businesses in the Gherkin wouldn't have vast volumes of paper filing but another issue with the gherkin if I recall correctly is that due to the natural ventilation there's little space for tall storage.

Bringing this back to the Natwest, the problem here is that the floor plates are too small when compared to the building's footprint. I'm looking forward to seeing what British Land propose, I just hope that it is of high quality design, finish and specification.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:37 PM   #288
feltip

Here is some good news about British Land which bodes well for our Natwest Tower redevelopment.

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2085761,00.html

British Land gives go-ahead to latest tower of London: the Cheese Grater

Phillip Inman
Wednesday May 23, 2007
The Guardian

British Land joined the growing band of property developers keen to build skyscrapers in London's financial district yesterday after it gave the go-ahead to plans for a wedge-shaped tower nestled between the Lloyd's of London building and the landmark Swiss Re tower, known as the Gherkin.
The 47-storey Leadenhall Building, already nicknamed the "Cheese Grater", is a vote of confidence in London as a financial centre and hub for the global services industry, the company said.

British Land made the announcement as it produced results for 2006 ahead of analysts' expectations and ahead of its closest rivals. The company registered a 13% increase in the net asset value per share - a key measure of the success of property firms - of its property portfolio to £16.82 in the year to the end of March.
It gave a cautious forecast for growth in the next few years but emphasised that the market would remain strong. "2007...#8209;08 will be one of our most active years ... to accelerate portfolio repositioning. The investment market is likely to be more challenging than last year, underlining the importance of value creation from rental growth," it said.

Prime office space is in huge demand in the capital. In the past three years a shortage of new building has pushed up rents to all-time highs and seen buildings bought and sold for record sums. This month the HSBC tower in Canary Wharf became London's first £1bn building.

The mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, has backed several plans for skyscrapers that will change the skyline in the next five years. Other skyscrapers in the pipeline include the 288-metre Pinnacle, which was bought in February by a sharia-compliant offshore fund and will be London's tallest building when completed in 2009-10, and the 72-storey London Bridge Tower - or Shard of Glass - due by 2010-11.

British Land, like most other property companies, delisted from the stock exchange this year and became a real estate investment trust (Reit). The firm paid a £325m one-off charge to become a Reit but in return offloaded £1.7bn of past tax liabilities and future corporation tax.

Stephen Hester, chief executive, said it allowed the company to "rebalance the portfolio". One of the first moves was the sale of One Exchange Square in London, which is the headquarters of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, for £406m.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:49 PM   #289
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1018

there was a similar article in the birmingham posts business section 2day!
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #290
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

The development's gunna be called Colmore Centre.

Old June 13th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #291
Nacho

Likes (Received): 291

Not important to the outside world ,but a name that will confuse the forumers a little.How many buildings do we have that are called Colmore something.It's a little like Snow Hill Plaza and what have you.

Anyway,having said that I don't mind the name and I'm looking forward to the plans.

Thanks for the information Erebus.
Nacho no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #292
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1018

well i thought that is the name of the current development that is on site!
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #293
feltip

Anything else Erebus

please spill the gossip. Though not as exciting as waiting for this weeks Doctor Who - "a pivotal moment in the history of Doctor Who"

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #294
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

According to the Locate Birmingham new developments document this is Colmore Centre - but it does say that it includes the Natwest Tower redevelopment indicating there is more to it than just the tower.

Old June 13th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #295
brumthom

Likes (Received): 51

well i wouldnt mind if they took out that shite building behind. you can see it on the right of this pic

brumthom no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #296
Martin G

Likes (Received): 47

Wow - how did you get a cobalt blue sky that perfect? Was that the work of a filter or was it some computer software enhancement of the original image? Very cool!
Martin G no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #297
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

It's from Wikipedia, and was taken by moi. I used your bog standard digital camera - no computer wizardry. I used a Fujifilm FinePix A350. Eventhough it got a cool sky, I ended up overexposing the top section.

If you look carefully, you can see a seagull in front of the building.

Old June 14th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #298
brumthom

Likes (Received): 51

hmm. wish i had taken it now. thanks for the photo erebus. i wouldve credited to you if idve known
brumthom no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #299
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

It's OK - it's freeuse so you can use it without creditting the photographer.

Old June 15th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #300
Martin G

Likes (Received): 47

Yeah, I spotted the flying creature as well after I posted the last message. Very cool.
Martin G no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread