Tennis Stadiums - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 20th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #1
bubomb

Likes (Received): 3

Tennis Stadiums

This is a subject I don't know much about. I would like to see who has got the best tennis stadium. So let's see each countries best tennis stadium as I only really know about the ones at Wimbledon.

Last edited by www.sercan.de; July 5th, 2008 at 12:25 PM.
bubomb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #2
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 7246

You've probably seen then before but...well, just for the heck of it, I'll post a few glimpses of the world's most famous tennis stadiums, at Wimbledon:

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #3
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 297

Nice thread idea Bubomb
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #4
Noostairz

Likes (Received): 10

wimbledon might be the most historic and best known but this has got to be one of the best actual stadiums:

arthur ashe stadium, NY, USA:

Noostairz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #5
JimB

Likes (Received): 7487

Jack Rabbit Slim - I presume that the third picture down is a render, showing how Centre court would look once capacity is increased (to 15,000?) and a sliding roof installed?
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #6
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by edennewstairs
wimbledon might be the most historic and best known but this has got to be one of the best actual stadiums:

Great looking tennis stadium. Very impressive.

However, has anyone from this board watched tennis there? I would imagine that it could be quite hard to see the ball from near the top of the upper tier.
Old February 20th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #7
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 10

Rexall Centre in Toronto

Montreal has a pretty good one also.
Old February 20th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #8
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

those stadiums are big but thats all really (including the arthur ash)
Old February 20th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #9
mauritius gunner

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB
Jack Rabbit Slim - I presume that the third picture down is a render, showing how Centre court would look once capacity is increased (to 15,000?) and a sliding roof installed?
I think there are pictures on the Wimbledon website.
There are also plans to rebuild court number 2 to approx 6000 capacity
All part of Wimbledon's long term strategy, including London 2012.
You never know, Maybe Andy Murrey will win by then!

Biggest stadium is Arthur Ashe I think, 19,000
mauritius gunner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #10
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 7246

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB
Yep! Looks awesum don't it? I don't know a lot about the extension, but I think it is said to be aiming for completion in 2009.

While the Arthur Ashe stadium and the Rexall Centre are both nice stadiums, they both look a bit...well...bulky...hard to explain really....it's like they arn't really suited to tennis, like someone decided to build seats around a centre point, then stuck a tennis court in the middle. Imo, neither have very much grandeur, prestige, atmosphere or passion about them like Centre court or Court No 1 at Wimbledon, which look perfectly suited to tennis, and only tennis.

There is also the matter of the court surface itself. Both the US and Australian open have hard courts (Australian open has a synthetic hard court) which, while still being pretty decent, isn't as high a quality as the faster, unique grass courts of Wimbledon. Though even these hard cement courts are better then clay ones (used in the French Open), which are slow, horrible to play on and look at, and mess up you're shoes/socks and clothes somethin awful!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #11
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Absolutely agree about the Arthur Ashe and Rexall Centre, just big stands really
Old February 20th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #12
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit Slim
There is also the matter of the court surface itself. Both the US and Australian open have hard courts (Australian open has a synthetic hard court) which, while still being pretty decent, isn't as high a quality as the faster, unique grass courts of Wimbledon. Though even these hard cement courts are better then clay ones (used in the French Open), which are slow, horrible to play on and look at, and mess up you're shoes/socks and clothes somethin awful!
That's very much a matter of opinion. Some players don't like the variable bounce of grass courts. Nor do they like the speed of the court. Let's face it, a Wimbledon match between two guys serving at 130-140 mph can be very dull indeed, with hardly any rallies. It seems that most players from Spain, South America and France prefer clay court tennis.

Some players prefer hard courts.

And only a few prefer grass courts - though pretty much every player wants to play at Wimbledon.

As to the Flushing Meadow, it may not have the same aura of tradition as at Wimbledon but I'm sure that it still has a unique and exciting atmosphere all of its own.
Old February 20th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #13
Andaluz
semos usuario

A tennis court inside "La Cartuja Stadium" in Sevilla (Spain).

Final Davis Cup 2004: Spain vs USA

Andaluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #14
bubomb

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edennewstairs

This is the best so far. I'm not interested in history or prestige or atmosphere (fans make atmosphere, not stadiums). I simply want to see what is the most impressive physical structure. Wimbledon is nice, but it is a bit boring for me and too green!! I'm not that keen on green stadiums (nothing to do with celtic, I just don't think green stadiums look pleasant to the eye).

Any more tennis stadiums? Something a bit different with a bit of spice?
bubomb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #15
kingdomca

Centre court, Wimbledon is really the best there is. I would say its the best sports stadium of all if looked at what a specific venue does for a sport. It lifts tennis more than any venue lifts any sport, I think, which is great for tennis as ,like all individual sports, it isnt great to watch too often in my opinion though good to play.

The atmosphere is unique. From being able to hear a pin drop before a point to very loud moments after.

Arthur Ashe is poor, I think.
Its just too big for tennis to quote a big american tennis reporter and i think its right. There has to be some sort of connection between the size of the "field" and stands.
It seems people are very detached from the game in the upper sections and the atmosphere is more that of a shopping mall with people just talking through points most of the time
kingdomca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 01:09 AM   #16
2zanzibar

Likes (Received): 1

hang on folks! what about Roland Garros?

It certainly produces the most exciting tennis, and is situated in the heart of Paris; rather than out in the dull suburbs of SW London (I should know, I lived in Wimbledon for a bit!)
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grandchelemt...s%20roland.htm
2zanzibar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 01:41 AM   #17
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 365

so basically you guys are saying, cut off the top tier of Ashe and it would be great? or take out the suites?
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 01:42 AM   #18
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Arthur Ashe for a physical structure is massive for a tennis stadium, but it doesn't suit tennis. The biggest isn't the best.
Old February 21st, 2006, 02:13 AM   #19
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2zanzibar
hang on folks! what about Roland Garros?

It certainly produces the most exciting tennis
Again, that's a subjective judgement. Some people find the long, baseline rallies that are common in clay court tennis to be fascinating. Others find them excessively boring.

Whatever floats your boat.

But I agree that Roland Garros is right up there with Wimbledon and Flushing Meadow for stadiums. What's the capacity of the main court? Looks to be a bit bigger than Centre court. The second and third best courts also look to be quite big. Any more pictures of them? The ones in your link only show the main court properly.
Old February 21st, 2006, 02:16 AM   #20
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo
so basically you guys are saying, cut off the top tier of Ashe and it would be great? or take out the suites?
I can't speak for the others. I only asked a question. The Arthur Ashe court is certainly impressive but, having never been there, I wanted to know what it's like for watching tennis. You can only ever get a rough impression from a photograph but, from the photo on this thread, it seems to me as though it might be difficult to follow the ball from the top tier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
stadiums