Projects & Discussions | Transport and Infrastructure - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Western Australia

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #81
samboy

Likes (Received): 864

is anything?
samboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #82
jarkti
World's Happiest Person

Likes (Received): 801

NightRider bus from Northbridge scrapped
July 09, 2009 05:30pm

THE NightRider late-night bus service from Northbridge will be scrapped, with the Government saying passenger numbers had fallen below five per trip.

Funding of the service was no longer sustainable, Transport Minister Simon O'Brien said today.

He said that in May, the service to Fremantle averaged 4.85 passengers per trip while the Scarborough Beach Rd service carried only 3.85 passengers per trip.

“This decision reflects a continuing decline to single-figure numbers and the City of Perth’s decision to discontinue its partial funding contribution,” Mr O’Brien said.

“It has always been known that taxis, providing a door-to-door service, are the preferred transport option for late-night revellers."

The government was making it safer and easier for patrons to catch taxis in entertainment areas, recently providing more than $550,000 to employ taxi marshalls and for other security measures, he said.

The government said City of Perth Lord Mayor Lisa Scaffidi supported the move.

“The city has been a strong supporter of NightRider over time, but the council was concerned that ratepayer money was being spent on a service with a continuing low take-up rate,” Ms Scaffidi was quoted as saying.

The Leach Highway service from Fremantle will also be dropped, while the Fremantle-Northbridge service will terminate at Como.

Fremantle's South St Nightrider will not be changed.

The last NightRiders from Northbridge will run on the morning of Sunday July 26.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...6-2761,00.html
Old July 9th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #83
L2
Kiama <> Wollongong

Likes (Received): 1661

The Perth routes seem so short TBH. I think what happens over here in Mexico is that people from the inner suburbs tend to take cabs, with the main users of the Nightriders being outer suburban residents who would have a very large cab fare home.

Perth not having a taxi system with an awful reputation also helps in this scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by extare
But unless you want some tacky faux-historical tram system there's nothing especially romantic about trams.
Hehe, what's romantic about being crammed in one of these things!?

http://www.vicsig.net/photo.php?file...alaclavajn.jpg
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2009, 03:57 AM   #84
fastrak44
Keeper of IT Supports

Likes (Received): 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
The Perth routes seem so short TBH. I think what happens over here in Mexico is that people from the inner suburbs tend to take cabs, with the main users of the Nightriders being outer suburban residents who would have a very large cab fare home.

Perth not having a taxi system with an awful reputation also helps in this scenario

Hehe, what's romantic about being crammed in one of these things!?

http://www.vicsig.net/photo.php?file...alaclavajn.jpg
The recent rock attacks on buses may also be a reason for lower numbers on trips?
fastrak44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #85
hack404

Likes (Received): 1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrak44 View Post
The recent rock attacks on buses may also be a reason for lower numbers on trips?
The fact that nobody can remember where the bus leaves from would be more of a factor. People have more difficulty forgetting the location of the train station.
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #86
Perth4life

Likes (Received): 19

what was the lattest that it ran?
Perth4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #87
Bulbous

Likes (Received): 225

Just a short note to mention that the Great Eastern Highway / Roe Highway interchange is supposed to be tendered, or awarded, in the next twelve months, that should be a nice job to undertake.....
Bulbous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #88
fastrak44
Keeper of IT Supports

Likes (Received): 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbous View Post
Just a short note to mention that the Great Eastern Highway / Roe Highway interchange is supposed to be tendered, or awarded, in the next twelve months, that should be a nice job to undertake.....
I wish they'd do something about Leach Highway and Tonkin Highway, for years now its been voted in the top 10 worst intersections in WA.
fastrak44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #89
samboy

Likes (Received): 864

people vote on these things? how sad
samboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #90
matt.perth

Likes (Received): 603

I say we hold a referendum over it
matt.perth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #91
Skyline Art
®

Likes (Received): 1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbous View Post
are there plans of what this interchange will look like? or will it be a basic cross over like all the other overpasses etc... with lights or roundabouts at the intersections?
Skyline Art no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #92
scotdaliney

Likes (Received): 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline Art View Post
are there plans of what this interchange will look like? or will it be a basic cross over like all the other overpasses etc... with lights or roundabouts at the intersections?
I Believe it will be a parclo with a single loop ramp for traffic turning from roe heading north to great eastern heading east.
scotdaliney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #93
dallas

Likes (Received): 942

Road Projects

Sorry, but I thought I would start a new thread. I still think that road, rail and other infrastructure should all be in their own threads.

Anyway, here is an update from mail roads site:

Beaufort Street - Variable Speed Zone Trial

Main Roads is introducing a variable speed zone along Beaufort Street, Mount Lawley in Winter 2009.

The initiative is a trial to improve safety for pedestrians and other road users by lowering travel speeds from 60 km/h to 40 km/h during peak periods of pedestrian activity. This section of Beaufort Street is an area of high pedestrian traffic and carries around 40,000 vehicles per day. It incorporates local businesses, a hotel, shopping centre precinct, on street parking and bus bays on both sides of the road in several locations.

To progress the project, Main Roads established a Stakeholder Reference Group in October 2008, which included representatives of the Beaufort Street Network, the Town of Vincent, the Public Transport Authority, WA Police, Main Roads, the local community and local businesses. The group has met several times and supports the trial as a key safety initiative.

Impact of vehicle speed reduction
A total of 14 pedestrians have been hit by vehicles along Beaufort Street from Chatsworth Road to Walcott Street which is much higher than the metropolitan road network average. The majority of vehicle speeds recorded in the area range 39 km/h to 63 km/h, which means the overall average speed along the proposed trial section is 54 km/h.

In determining a solution to the pedestrian safety issue, Main Roads undertook significant research throughout the world. One of the key findings of this research was from Monash University (2005), which indicated that:

Pedestrian crashes in high activity/commercial centres are a problem that needs addressing, but not many effective solutions have been found.
A key alternative is achieving more moderate vehicle speeds, as excessive speed is a key factor in the incidence and severity of pedestrian crashes.
Small differences in travel speed can result in large differences in death and serious injury risk. Reductions of 10 km/h in average vehicle speeds over the full length of a treatment survey site were associated with estimated reductions of 2-3 per cent in fatal pedestrian crashes and of 15 per cent in serious injury pedestrian crashes. (Source: Monash University, 2005)

How will the trial work?
Variable speed signs will be installed at various places on Beaufort Street from Lincoln Street through to Walcott Street. An additional sign will be installed (double signs for a speed zone change) when motorists turn from Walcott into Beaufort Street (city bound).

When entering the area from adjoining roads, motorists will see electronic speed signs displaying the speed limit giving them warning of the need to slow down.

The existing 60 km/h static signs will be removed.

Signs similar to the electronic school zone signs will display a 40 km/h limit during peak pedestrian periods. The signs will operate from:

Sunday to Thursday: 7.30 am - 10.00 pm AND Friday and Saturday: 7.30 am - 1.00 am.
Outside these times, the existing 60 km/h limit will be displayed on the signs and apply.
By having a variable speed limit, safety for pedestrians and road users can be increased during peak times. When there are fewer vehicles and pedestrians, the existing 60 km/h limit applies. It is anticipated that the trial will be conducted for 18 months to allow the full impact of the works to be assessed with an 'after' study. At the completion of the after study, an appropriate speed limit will be implemented.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plus also the Reid / Alexander Dve overpass is mentioned in the list of urban projects, but there is no actual news about it, so maybe that, plus the Mirrabooka overpass and the Great Eastern Hwy / Roe Fwy interchange will all be happening over the next year to two years, which means the freeway network will be finally moving ahead again after a few years of inactivity.

From the Urban projects list
Beaufort Street Variable Speed Zone Trial
Daddow Road Bridge
Great Northern Highway
Mandurah Entrance Road
New Perth Bunbury Highway
Reid Highway Extension - West Swan Road to Great Northern Highway
Reid Highway Overpass at Alexander Drive
Roe Highway Extension
Stirling City Centre (SSC)
Wanneroo Road Duplication - Wallawa Street to Joondalup Drive
dallas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #94
Blindfold
I said love, I said pet

Likes (Received): 159

I was under the impression it was just a standard 'diamond' interchange. Main Roads website should have plans...
Old July 11th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #95
dallas

Likes (Received): 942

I still don't understand why my post was moved....is that the mod just beingoverly lazy now or what? Christ there are only two pages of stuff on the WA forum anyway, half of which do not seem to be regularly updated at all. Surely the job can't be that hard!?
dallas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 05:37 AM   #96
Bulbous

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotdaliney View Post
I Believe it will be a parclo with a single loop ramp for traffic turning from roe heading north to great eastern heading east.

There was a design for the interchange somewhere on Main Roads documents I have seen, but the above is basically right...... there will also be access for oversize vehicles to exit heading northbound on Roe to GEH eastbound without going around the loop exit like normal traffic will do.......

We are waiting on the winning tenders to be chosen for the Reid/Alexander interchange, pretty sure all the money quotes have been submitted to Main Roads already.......
Old July 13th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #97
Bulbous

Also, the Leach/Tonkin interchange will be done as part of the Airport works, as the interchange will become a set of flyovers, with Leach extending towards Horrie Miller Drive inside the airport itself....... once money is made available for these works, that is first on the list, followed by a standard interchange at Horrie Miller Drive and Tonkin Hwy, and a full flyover separation of the Roe/Tonkin interchange.......
Old July 13th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #98
Bullswool
Perthite

Likes (Received): 790

Awesome!!!

Route 78 - additional services

Effective: Sunday 19 July 2009
Transperth and the University of Western Australia (UWA) are pleased to announce that from Sunday 19 July 2009, additional route 78 services will operate between Perth City and UWA.

The addition of these services will improve the overall frequency of services between Perth City and UWA.

To UWA
Services will now operate from the Esplanade Busport to UWA every 5 minutes between 9.10am and 12.00pm on University days only.

From UWA
Services will now operate from UWA to the Esplanade Busport every 5 minutes between 11.00am and 3.00pm on University days only.

Additional evening services will also operate from UWA to the Esplanade Busport every 15 minutes between 6.10pm and 9.25pm on University days only.
Bullswool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #99
sandstorm6299

Likes (Received): 50

That. is. awesome. Have always disliked the 30 minute frequency after the 102 at ~6.45pm. Waiting for a bus for 30 minutes in a thunderstorm and the rain hitting you in the face sideways was never my idea of fun.
sandstorm6299 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #100
jarkti
World's Happiest Person

Likes (Received): 801

I think this is where it should be ?

Middle Swan Road Upgrades.

[IMG]http://i28.************/1zz1j5d.jpg[/IMG]

The start of the bridge construction
[IMG]http://i29.************/esj8tl.jpg[/IMG]

Some Craneage
[IMG]http://i29.************/2j3l01j.jpg[/IMG]

The new road (soon anyway)
[IMG]http://i27.************/2hnxv9d.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i27.************/9tljrp.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i30.************/2an349.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by jarkti; July 13th, 2009 at 11:26 PM.
jarkti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
adelaide, beipackzettel, busway, highways, light rail, maglev bus to caboolture, mandurahboyz, max, monorail, perth, rio de janeiro, tunnels