46 Burley Street | 87-bed Student Accom | 8fl | Site Prep - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area > Leeds Construction Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2019, 01:05 PM   #1
Ttebroc

Likes (Received): 1274

46 Burley Street | 87-bed Student Accom | 8fl | Site Prep

I've lost the post from a couple of days ago but someone was asking about a site on Burley Street with site hoardings going up. There's now an application (19/00300/COND) in for pre-commencement conditions at this site which suggests they're gearing up for site prep, so I'll put this straight in the construction forum.

Reminder of the scheme here:

LS6 liked this post
Ttebroc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2019, 04:03 PM   #2
tigerman

Likes (Received): 5347

16/01322/FU | Student residential accommodation building comprising 87 studio flats, including ancillary communal facilities and retail unit, associated landscaping and car parking | 46 Burley Street Leeds LS3 1LB

https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/on...iveTab=summary
Old January 23rd, 2019, 06:09 PM   #3
mike okane

Likes (Received): 4793

arfa liked this post
mike okane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2019, 06:39 PM   #4
LS6

Likes (Received): 1685

Interesting reading through the documents and plans meeting notes in the application for this. The original all brick design was actively discouraged and declined, with the applicant having to redesign this in favor of the mixed brick and zinc clad design above. Quite how LCC see this design as being superior I don't know. Extract from the final plans meeting below:

Quote:
In response to Members’ comments, the applicants have sought to address the
concerns in the following ways:
* Dark and light blue/grey zinc cladding is now proposed to the eastern and western
ends of the building, to lighten the appearance of the building and create three
distinct forms. This helps to reduce the perceived mass of the building.
LS6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 09:54 PM   #5
Val Verde

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6 View Post
Interesting reading through the documents and plans meeting notes in the application for this. The original all brick design was actively discouraged and declined, with the applicant having to redesign this in favor of the mixed brick and zinc clad design above. Quite how LCC see this design as being superior I don't know. Extract from the final plans meeting below:
Crazy to read LCC supporting the idea of yet more grey plastic cladding on a building. Still it is good to see an infill bit of development along Burley Street. Is the building next door to 46 Burley Street going towards Leeds city centre used for anything or have any proposals? Also presume it would be difficult and expensive to build anything on top of the sub-station also next to this building going out of Leeds.
Val Verde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2019, 02:57 AM   #6
erewhon

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Verde View Post
Crazy to read LCC supporting the idea of yet more grey plastic cladding on a building. Still it is good to see an infill bit of development along Burley Street. Is the building next door to 46 Burley Street going towards Leeds city centre used for anything or have any proposals? Also presume it would be difficult and expensive to build anything on top of the sub-station also next to this building going out of Leeds.

I think the cladding is proposed to be zinc rather than plastic but I’m not sure how adding a greater mix of cladding is meant to improve the building’s aesthetic appeal. It would be interesting to see how the render posted by ttebroc would have looked if the whole building was clad in brick.
erewhon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2019, 09:34 AM   #7
Ttebroc

Likes (Received): 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by erewhon View Post
I think the cladding is proposed to be zinc rather than plastic but I’m not sure how adding a greater mix of cladding is meant to improve the building’s aesthetic appeal. It would be interesting to see how the render posted by ttebroc would have looked if the whole building was clad in brick.

I actually remember now; the original application went to plans panel when I was at uni, and we all attended as part of the course. It was refused because it was too large and would impact on ‘residential amenity’.

It was then refused at appeal. I don’t fully understand how it would have such a huge impact on residents, the nearest are on Belle Vue Road up the hill behind this?! Seems utterly daft to me. Anyway they resubmitted with the slightly smaller scheme above. Here’s what it previously looked like:

Ttebroc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2019, 10:51 AM   #8
agkita

Likes (Received): 93

I think the full brick like Granary Wharf is far better than the mixed materials like the Opal near this sight.

mike okane liked this post
agkita no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2019, 10:53 AM   #9
erewhon

Likes (Received): 148

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc, etc, but that all-brick version looks a lot better to me than the approved scheme. Ho hum......
erewhon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2019, 11:34 AM   #10
Loiner's Girders
Back home

Likes (Received): 1500

So, one floor taken off the higher part and one floor added to the lower, so not much difference in overall scale, just a bit less variety in height (which is slightly negative). The old version had a fifties vibe to it, but I agree with LCC that a bit more variation would have been good. However, they should have kept the vibe and used small amount of sandstone/Portland stone effect, like on the Headrow:

Val Verde, agkita liked this post
Loiner's Girders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2019, 01:57 PM   #11
tigerman

Likes (Received): 5347

There is a Method Statement in the documents which says that the enabling works will start around the beginning of February 2019, and that the structure will be precast concrete to commence June 2019. It also confirms that there will be a tower crane.

LS6, harryd, max-da-beast liked this post
tigerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement