ZURICH | Public Transport - Page 10 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2019, 03:38 PM   #181
Attus

Likes (Received): 1712

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickgr View Post
However the city is a nightmare for car driving.
And it is fully intentional. Local people and city council think you should not drive a car there.

Manolo_B2, urbanflight liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2019, 06:49 PM   #182
clickgr

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide84 View Post

No they are not. Tram lines are almost completely independent, as are sidewalks. Only car and bike lanes share the same asphalt surface, and not everywhere.
I didn't mean it this way. Mixed transportation doesn't necessarily mean they share the same lanes. But they do share the same limited space. In other words, even if they are completely independent in their routes, cars still have to cross tram lines in junctions and wait at traffic lights for the trams to pass, plus car lanes are in many cases too narrow in order to fit. Not to mention that due to the city's landscape with the lake on one side and the hills and rivers on the other, car, bike and tram lanes/lines are in a very complicated design.

I do not live in Zürich, I live in Germany. However I visit the city a few times a year, usually visiting friends. For as long as I stay in the city I never move around by car, not because of the high traffic on the roads, but because I find the public transportation system so efficient and punctual; after all it is a relatively small city, the distances are not that big. Even if there was no traffic at all, I would still use the trams and my feet to move around, like I do for example on Sunday mornings when the city looks pretty empty.

However, to get in and out the city coming from Germany by my car, I need each time to cross the city center, and this some times gets very frustrating. I really feel there is a high chance of an accident at some busy hours of the day with all this mixing traffic, especially if you are not familiar with the city and the roads.

What I want to say here is that people use cars not only because they do not like public transportation, but because sometimes there is no other way for them. Making roads dangerous and increasing traffic for cars I do not think it is the right way to force people using public transportation. A city needs to be efficient and safe for all means of transportation.
clickgr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 07:05 PM   #183
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 2595

'Car' and 'efficient and safe' don't live in the same sentence.

A better solution would be long-stay Park and Ride sites on the outskirts, or even better travelling in from Germany by public transport.
Old November 14th, 2019, 07:30 PM   #184
clickgr

Traveling by public transportation for all family from my place to Zürich is much more expensive than car (gas + road vignette included). I also have small kids and car for this transportation with kids and luggage is much more convenient, especially in the winter months. I wouldn't have a problem though to use some long-stay parking somewhere near a tram line outside the city center if there were such at a reasonable price. To my knowledge there isn't any and parkings near the center are extremely expensive for long stay.
Old November 15th, 2019, 09:42 AM   #185
eeee.

Likes (Received): 1243

Assuming that you live in Friedrichshafen: if your destination is to the south of Zurich then take A13/A3. Might be even faster.
eeee. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 09:55 AM   #186
clickgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeee. View Post
Assuming that you live in Friedrichshafen: if your destination is to the south of Zurich then take A13/A3. Might be even faster.
My destination is unfortunately exactly in the center of the city. Maybe taking A3 first and then getting into the city center from the south can help to avoid some traffic. I think I have been this way before. Last time though my car's navigation system directed me for some reason from the other side of the city and it was a very bad experience during a pick time.
Old November 24th, 2019, 08:54 PM   #187
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 26197

Due to delays on the introduction of FlexiTrams, and an abnormally high volume of collisions and accidents, ZVV has reshuffled and/or reduced the frequency of some tram lines and temporarily withdrew Tram #17.
Old December 5th, 2019, 12:49 PM   #188
Gintaras

Likes (Received): 41

Switzerland, Zürich

Manolo_B2 liked this post
Gintaras no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 03:03 PM   #189
Manolo_B2
Liberté Égalité Beyoncé

Likes (Received): 2331

Interesting article about prioritizing public transport in Zurich:

https://www.citylab.com/perspective/...raffic/599011/