U/C | SYDNEY | Light Rail (Circular Quay to Randwick and Kingsford) - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2005, 02:33 AM   #121
hornetfig

what do you mean? it's only 20 years since the last double-deck buses went. More articulated buses are coming (80). The problem with double-deck buses is the same problem as double-deck trains - increased stop dwell times for passengers to disembark. Other problems with DD buses today are axle load, having low-floor entry and overall height. In the past 20 years, the Sydney bus has gone from 10.4m long to 12.5m long and gained a 20cm high air conditioning unit, but has the same passenger capacity. You have to bear that in mind when translating it to DD buses that really do test the loading guage for vehicles...
hornetfig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2005, 03:49 AM   #122
iron_monkey

Likes (Received): 0

Can someone estimate the capacity of monorail compared to trams? I have never ridden on a Sydney tram in my life, but I see them every day i goto uni. The last time I been on the monorail was probably a decade ago.

Im wondering why monorail isnt such an attractive alternative to light rail as they dont take up lanes in streets, and are faster. IMO putting light rail in Bondi and Parramatta road is suicide.
iron_monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 03:53 AM   #123
Q-TIP

Likes (Received): 2

Sydney's existing monorail has less capacity by about 25% than the light rail. Not sure on exact figures, but light rail & monorail have similar costs. Monorail is less accessible to the elderly and disabled, due to its elevated configurement. Light rail is very popular all over the world, it fathoms me that Oz has not introduced more of these lines by now.
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2005, 04:23 AM   #124
iron_monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-TIP
Sydney's existing monorail has less capacity by about 25% than the light rail. Not sure on exact figures, but light rail & monorail have similar costs. Monorail is less accessible to the elderly and disabled, due to its elevated configurement. Light rail is very popular all over the world, it fathoms me that Oz has not introduced more of these lines by now.
If the physical capacity is only 25% less, then the capacity in real terms is probably much higher than light rail due to increased speed(no danger of hitting pedestrians) and most importantly no traffic lights to contend with. In my opinion the chaos to car traffic(unless there is a dedicated corridor, like the proposed Maroubra line) would make light rail impractical at solving transport problems here in Sydney.

Im still baffled why monorail isnt a serious consideration.

Last edited by iron_monkey; June 23rd, 2005 at 04:40 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:08 AM   #125
James Saito

The monorail used in Sydney is for the theme parks. We need a real bulky monorail like Seattle one.

James Saito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:20 AM   #126
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-TIP
Light rail doesn't suit Sydney - look at our streets and the wide body vehicles chosen - a decent monorail is logical choice - bugger the elderly and disabled they should stick to the suburbs.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #127
iron_monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
Light rail doesn't suit Sydney - look at our streets and the wide body vehicles chosen - a decent monorail is logical choice - bugger the elderly and disabled they should stick to the suburbs.
Well there would be lifts in major monorail stations anyway.
Old June 26th, 2005, 02:09 AM   #128
Cee_em_bee

Likes (Received): 1

Are there such things as ground-level lightrails?
Cee_em_bee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 03:35 AM   #129
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cee_em_bee
Are there such things as ground-level lightrails?
When they aren't running on bridges or underground?
no name no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 04:15 AM   #130
Principes
To Engineer is Human

Has the monorail, developed in anyway since its conception, and are there any plants for expansion?
Old June 26th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #131
Syd-Hk
What Title?

Likes (Received): 1

no point expanding if it is more of a toursit attraction
Syd-Hk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #132
iron_monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd-Hk
no point expanding if it is more of a toursit attraction
The point of expanding it is to take it above just a tourist attraction.
Old June 26th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #133
Galactic Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_monkey
The point of expanding it is to take it above just a tourist attraction.
A decent marketing campaign might have helped. I would have liked to have seen no light rail and the monroail taking on the role... pity the monorail wasn't part of cityrail, it migt help to change attitudes... not that cityrail is well liked.
Old June 26th, 2005, 04:00 PM   #134
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Likes (Received): 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Saito
The monorail used in Sydney is for the theme parks. We need a real bulky monorail like Seattle one.

Sorry, but i can't imagine that running within the city boundry. George St or any other congested CBD streets don't have wide foodpaths to cater for that monstrosity.
Old June 26th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #135
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matixvolta
Sorry, but i can't imagine that running within the city boundry. George St or any other congested CBD streets don't have wide foodpaths to cater for that monstrosity.

Who says that it has to be over the footpath?????

It could run down the median strip and when the median strip isn't wide enough, you have a upside down Y sort of shape support holding it up. That splits the weight onto two supports, making the wide footpath less necessary.
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 12:07 AM   #136
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

I don't think Clover Moore and the SCC would approve of it given their opposition to the existing monorail (which has gone on ever since it was built) because it wreck the streetscape, which the existing monorail has done.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 01:38 AM   #137
James Saito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian
because it wreck the streetscape, which the existing monorail has done.
It added a character to the streetscape IMO. It became a part of Sydney.
Old June 27th, 2005, 05:12 AM   #138
iron_monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matixvolta
Its relatively minute footprint is many times better than light rail, which takes two whole lanes. I have trouble seeing how light rail can make significant improvements to congested streets. Its a give with one hand and take with the other. Especially with the stigma on Sydney public transport, and the fact that many sydney residential areas and growth/sprawl areas arent serviced by public transport, many people going to CBD may be sticking to their cars for some time to come. If that were the case light rail would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian
I don't think Clover Moore and the SCC would approve of it given their opposition to the existing monorail (which has gone on ever since it was built) because it wreck the streetscape, which the existing monorail has done.
It is a vital character to Sydney's streetscape. Regardless how can they even think of imposing their own sense of appearance at the expense of the city, and other people who think otherwise.

Last edited by iron_monkey; June 27th, 2005 at 05:20 AM.
Old June 27th, 2005, 05:20 AM   #139
Galactic Ruler

I think the Las Vegas monorail is rather hot, The KL monorail is rather nice also and when walking around KL its not really that imposing or in the way, I'd say it adds character. Our lighter weight Von Roll system is rather innocuous, it's not even really noticable IMO, just part of the city scene. I don't find it unsightly or find it obstructs pedestrian traffic.

Las Vegas

A monorail system requires the least infrastructure:

1. requires less than 30% of the material of an elevated light-rail system
2. requires much less on-site construction
3. minimal infrastructure makes
4. requires the least right-of-way
5. requires the least land acquisition
6. the smallest footprint: The only ground space required by a monorail system is the space for its columns
7. minimal guideways and support structures

credit to freewaymonorail.org/ infrastructure.htm

Last edited by Avatar; June 27th, 2005 at 05:28 AM.
Old June 27th, 2005, 05:54 AM   #140
James Saito

Monorail along OxFord St to FoxStudio would be perfect. FoxStudio is a kinda theme park after all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz, sydney, tram