BRISBANE: General public transport thread - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 4th, 2010, 04:15 AM   #121
exocet
baby whinger

Likes (Received): 590

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
A large number of tourists use the city cat system, we cant realistically expect them to buy Go-Cards, hence i cant see a barrier system working without some way of getting around it, which defeats the purpose of a barrier system to start with.
They're going to have to buy a goCard soon enough. There will be disposable short-use cards which can be purchased from vending machines. We're not going to hang onto paper tickets forever.
exocet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #122
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

Quote:
i dont see how a barrier system would work unless there was some way of purchasing a ticket at the barrier to get past..

A large number of tourists use the city cat system, we cant realistically expect them to buy Go-Cards, hence i cant see a barrier system working without some way of getting around it, which defeats the purpose of a barrier system to start with.
There should be tourist tickets which give unlimited travel on the public transport network - 3 days, 5 days, 7 days etc. They pay a fixed charge and just have to tag on and off.

The Gold Coast provides those tickets for tourists on local bus services.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #123
BNE01

Likes (Received): 178

I was only in Stockholm last month and survived the public transport there even though you needed to buy a pre-paid public transport pass from train stations and convenience stores (7-11's like here are evrywhere).
BNE01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #124
SM247
Citadis Rider

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
i dont see how a barrier system would work unless there was some way of purchasing a ticket at the barrier to get past..

All ticketing will be by go card from next year. Second generation machines are capable of selling adult go cards, so if they were at every terminal it would be no issue.
Old July 4th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #125
dj4life

Likes (Received): 49454

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNE01 View Post
I was only in Stockholm last month and survived the public transport there even though you needed to buy a pre-paid public transport pass from train stations and convenience stores (7-11's like here are evrywhere).
Why did you survive? Was it too expensive or it wasn't easy to travel?

Last edited by dj4life; July 4th, 2010 at 06:31 PM.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #126
Jesse24

Likes (Received): 464

I take it Go Cards get old, does anyone have problems with scanning their card after heaps of use?
Old July 5th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #127
Aussie Bhoy

Likes (Received): 10319

The Go Cards shouldn't wear out that much, if at all, since they don't actually touch anything to be scanned. Maybe leaving them in your wallet with other ATM/Credit cards might affect the magnetic stripe.
Aussie Bhoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #128
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Bhoy View Post
The Go Cards shouldn't wear out that much, if at all, since they don't actually touch anything to be scanned. Maybe leaving them in your wallet with other ATM/Credit cards might affect the magnetic stripe.
My Go Card never leaves my wallet, I've had no issue with magnetic cards not working etc...
joninbrisbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 04:47 AM   #129
beastjim
Maglev Believer

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse24 View Post
I take it Go Cards get old, does anyone have problems with scanning their card after heaps of use?
I've already killed my first one (after 18 months - 2 years). It was more from placement in my wallet and some of the edges being frayed and therefore breaking the circuitry. Not impossible to do.
'eat something greasy and have a wank'.
beastjim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #130
Fyver

Likes (Received): 724

Some of the scanners are looking rather shagged.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are not those of my employer, its subsidiaries, clients and partners, not necessarily mine, probably not necessary, and don't intentionally mean to kill the fun.
Fyver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:10 AM   #131
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 128

particularly at South Bank. You almost can't see the translink symbol on the white circle because it's faded so much.
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:21 AM   #132
BNE01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post
Why did you survive? Was it too expensive or it wasn't easy to travel?
i.e. I had no issues even though you can not purchase tickets on PT.
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #133
BNE01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Bhoy View Post
I've had 5 go-cards since they first implemented the scheme (I picked one up virtually the day they were released if I remember correctly).

It's pretty easy to transfer balances, and so it is no real problem. You just buy a new card and call the Translink guys.
Old July 5th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #134
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyver View Post
Some of the scanners are looking rather shagged.
When I was using Albion Station in 2008, you could barely read or see the details on the screens when you tagged on or off.

There should be a light or an indicator that goes off if you are using a station that doesn't have the gates or barriers.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #135
beastjim
Maglev Believer

Likes (Received): 3

???? They do.... There is the tri colour LED's on them, just like the buses (Green for all good with an adult, "Amber" for all good with a Concession of whatever and Red for something has gone wrong here)
'eat something greasy and have a wank'.
beastjim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #136
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

Likes (Received): 33

They also beep.
joninbrisbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #137
Jesse24

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastjim View Post
I've already killed my first one (after 18 months - 2 years). It was more from placement in my wallet and some of the edges being frayed and therefore breaking the circuitry. Not impossible to do.
That sounds like mine, the plastic is peeling off and there is a small crack in it. Takes ages to scan now.
Old July 5th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #138
SM247
Citadis Rider

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
When I was using Albion Station in 2008, you could barely read or see the details on the screens when you tagged on or off.

There should be a light or an indicator that goes off if you are using a station that doesn't have the gates or barriers.
I think the problem with the static readers is that the tech isn't very weather resilient. All the static rail station readers have those features, but I have noticed the more weather-beaten equipment doesnt beep as audibly or flash as visibly as it is supposed to.

They are all supposed to be getting hoods fitted some time in the future to keep out the elements and make the screens more visible.
Old July 5th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #139
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 11647

On the subject of GOCard durability, mine is a good few years old now, and looks in (peeling laminate especially a problem) but it still seems to read find on the scanners. It also lives in my wallet, so no magnetic interferrence from my pass-go Mastercard yet either.
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #140
Heidewitzka

Likes (Received): 15

http://www.railway-technology.com/news/news89568.html

The Australian state government said four new peak services will be added to south-east Queensland's busiest train lines.

The services will be added to the Caboolture and Ipswich lines in August this year and are expected to provide a total of 9,000 extra seats.

The move follows an overhaul of the network's timetable with plans to create new timetables that will be implemented in 2011.

The state also plans to spend $200m to upgrade one-third of its stations, according to brisbanetimes.com.au.

Queensland Rail network is expected to transport an average of 170,000 passenger journeys a day.
Heidewitzka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
brisbane, busway, ferry, maglev bus to caboolture, mandurahboyz, queensland, rail, trains, transport, underground