General Brisbane Retail Thread - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland > Everything else

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #81
KDreamer
Marketing & Fashion, yo.

Likes (Received): 642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I just wish they'd deregulate the trading hours in the city so that at night there would be a bit more buzz.
This right here. Why should it even be regulated in the first place! Free Market ??
KDreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #82
Birkish Delight

Likes (Received): 149

A well connected colleague of mine just told me that Top Shop have signed on at the old Boarders site. Should see works happening shortly.
Birkish Delight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:30 PM   #83
Timothy

Likes (Received): 221

Will TopMan be going in as well? You'd assume so?
Timothy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #84
Birkish Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Will TopMan be going in as well? You'd assume so?
Not really sure TBH. I'm still surprised they didn't go for the top end of the mall near the other youth brands, but Albert street has potential to be a bit of a youth precinct, could be the start of a new trend.
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #85
Timothy

Albert Street could be sooooo good. Plus - once Elizabeth Street fixes itself up a bit better (which is gradually happening anyway) - that site - now TopShop will be the best on the street.

I just hope they re-do the facade. I don't like it at all. Too messy.
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #86
bwistle

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birkish Delight View Post
A well connected colleague of mine just told me that Top Shop have signed on at the old Boarders site. Should see works happening shortly.
I hope so!
bwistle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #87
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 11584

Yay for Topshop going into the Borders site. It's been sitting vacant far too long for my liking! I wonder if that bit of gossip will shape who takes an interest in the Statham House and former Fashion Cafe buildings next to it on Elizabeth St. Both are now empty, with works happening inside the Fashion Cafe building atm.
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #88
Sky_Is_The_Limit

Likes (Received): 7202

Topshop is the perfect fit for the Borders site! It is a brand geared towards younger consumers than Zara, Gap etc and considering this is in close proximity of Time Zone, the cinemas in The Myer Centre and other youth oriented shops on Albert Street - a great decision by Topshop if it proves to be true!

And no doubt Topman will be in on it. That appears to be their business model in Australia.
Sky_Is_The_Limit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:33 AM   #89
brizguy

Likes (Received): 275

Sorry just peed my pants, This is fantastic news, The building is big enough for them to have there full range. And in shop form Topshop = Men and Womans. The Building is big enough that they can do something similar to the oxford street in London shop with a hairdresser etc.

SO EXCITED!!
brizguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #90
Birkish Delight

Pie Face sold out of pies on their first day in New York. They even had a line up to get in.
http://www.insideretail.com.au/IR/IR...dway-4084.aspx
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #91
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 11584

Bloody hell!!! OK, I know we give a LOT of shit to Pie Face, but that level of success in a place like NYC is simply incredible!
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #92
bribri

Likes (Received): 1893

There is another one on George St now near QSM.
bribri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #93
Brisbane_Rulz

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizguy View Post
Sorry just peed my pants, This is fantastic news, The building is big enough for them to have there full range. And in shop form Topshop = Men and Womans. The Building is big enough that they can do something similar to the oxford street in London shop with a hairdresser etc.

SO EXCITED!!
I hope this becomes official soon and is not a rumour. I referred a fashion junkie I know and she said (verbatam) what Topshop BEFORE Zara in Brisbane? Can't please anyone in Brisbane. I will have a look at TS in South Yarra next week want to see what the fuss is about.
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #94
Sky_Is_The_Limit

I'll give you a heads up.

It's cheap, it's on-trend, it has frequent drops and the store/range is big enough to want to actually visit it.

I bought a casual shirt at Topman in Kuala Lumpur for ~$A13.00. And you could buy 2 x ~$20.00.

Zara is even cheaper here atm. They have been selling shirts for as little as $A11.95 in Sydney. Then I go to the likes of Country Road and Witchery where they cost a minimum of $30.00...
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #95
brizguy

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandavid88 View Post
Bloody hell!!! OK, I know we give a LOT of shit to Pie Face, but that level of success in a place like NYC is simply incredible!
Most likely as there arent a lot of places to buy a pie in NYC and a large Aussie Expat base. My issue is when I walk down a Brisbane street in 2 years and its alliterating only between pie face and 711
brizguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #96
Brisbane_Rulz

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Is_The_Limit View Post

I'll give you a heads up.

It's cheap, it's on-trend, it has frequent drops and the store/range is big enough to want to actually visit it.

I bought a casual shirt at Topman in Kuala Lumpur for ~$A13.00. And you could buy 2 x ~$20.00.

Zara is even cheaper here atm. They have been selling shirts for as little as $A11.95 in Sydney. Then I go to the likes of Country Road and Witchery where they cost a minimum of $30.00...
Ahh ok. The place were we eat is near TS in Melbourne anyway so I will walk past, but obviously the pressure is on it seems to snare it for Brisbane before Zara. So long as the shirts are of reasonable quality than that sounds fine.

Last edited by Brisbane_Rulz; February 8th, 2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelt word wrong
Old February 8th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #97
Sky_Is_The_Limit

Yep, pressure is on in a big way! That's the best thing about the arrival of Topshop and Zara in Australia at the same time. Neither is going to be complacent and let the other dominant and take market share.

The Age recently reported that Zara has been in talks to open stores in Chapel Street, Chadstone, Doncaster and Highpoint all in Melbourne. One would imagine similar talks would be taking place in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth.

One to look out for (from left of field) with an announcement in 2012 is Uniqlo. Last year they said they want to enter the Australian market in 2012 or 2013 at the latest. Here's hoping!
Old February 8th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #98
Timothy

I've been talking to my contact - and apparently Zara still haven't found anywhere in Brisbane. The reason is - they're waiting until something becomes available on the QSM - so my guess is that they just weren't interested in the Borders site - and TopShop snapped it up.

I wonder perhaps if Zara are waiting for Broadway to be redeveloped? If they're in talks with ISPT - then a redeveloped Broadway would be an excellent spot for them - and if they can get a custom designed space - they'd be pretty keen on that - even if they have to wait.
Old February 8th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #99
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

Likes (Received): 1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birkish Delight View Post
Pie Face sold out of pies on their first day in New York. They even had a line up to get in.
http://www.insideretail.com.au/IR/IR...dway-4084.aspx
Lol! Whyyyyyyyyyy though??? The pies aren't even that good!

PS so excited about Topshop/Topman. They are MUCH better then Zara which is overrated. Frankly I don't care if Zara doesn't open up in Brisbane. A recent trip to Zara's Melbourne store just reaffirmed that.
SoulvisionQ1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #100
Brisbane_Rulz

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulvisionQ1 View Post
Lol! Whyyyyyyyyyy though??? The pies aren't even that good!

PS so excited about Topshop/Topman. They are MUCH better then Zara which is overrated. Frankly I don't care if Zara doesn't open up in Brisbane. A recent trip to Zara's Melbourne store just reaffirmed that.
I would not hold your breath expecting them not to open in Brisbane, but I will be seeing both of the southern stores next week so I'll have a look to see what the Zara fuss is about, but it's very likely to happen, so I suppose only option is to ignore the shop and go to TS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
extension, mandurahboyz, redevelopment, shopping