General Brisbane Retail Thread - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland > Everything else

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 8th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #101
Tyson

Likes (Received): 604

Zara will open in Brisbane sooner or later. It's when not if.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #102
Birkish Delight

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I wonder perhaps if Zara are waiting for Broadway to be redeveloped? If they're in talks with ISPT - then a redeveloped Broadway would be an excellent spot for them - and if they can get a custom designed space - they'd be pretty keen on that - even if they have to wait.
This is my thought. Or potentially they might be looking to take the building near the top of the mall next to the Chifley where I think Toy World is/was (haven't been up that end of the mall in a while).
Birkish Delight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #103
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 11647

Do you mean the current Mr Toys tenancy (building next to St George)...

...or the original CML building next to it that houses one of the crappy tourist shops?

The CML building would definitely suit Zara, but it's currently leased over all levels, and Zara might not like the location – it is definitely a bit cramped by the location of the Milano Restaurant/Bar, and it is up the top of the mall which doesn't seem to be as desirable as the end down near Edward St.

ISPT putting them in a reworked Broadway is also a distinct possibility I believe!
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #104
Birkish Delight

I was thinking the toy shop, but I'm not too familiar with that end of town.
Old February 9th, 2012, 03:22 AM   #105
brizguy

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Is_The_Limit View Post

Yep, pressure is on in a big way! That's the best thing about the arrival of Topshop and Zara in Australia at the same time. Neither is going to be complacent and let the other dominant and take market share.

The Age recently reported that Zara has been in talks to open stores in Chapel Street, Chadstone, Doncaster and Highpoint all in Melbourne. One would imagine similar talks would be taking place in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth.

One to look out for (from left of field) with an announcement in 2012 is Uniqlo. Last year they said they want to enter the Australian market in 2012 or 2013 at the latest. Here's hoping!
Topshop and Zara are totally different demographics however. Topshop is going to absolutely annihilate jay jays, roger david, cotton on etc. Their clothes also fit if this makes sense. More european cuts and when you get there they actually have smalls and mediums rather than what seems like a gazillion large.

Anyone know if topshop has the 10% student discount in oz like the UK?
brizguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #106
nathandavid88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birkish Delight View Post
I was thinking the toy shop, but I'm not too familiar with that end of town.
Not sure if the Toyshop building would really be a high quality-enough location for Zara to be honest. Also, it's an unusual open plan shop with only the elevator as direct access between levels (the escalators lead up/down and out to Queen St, rather that to the level above/below).
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #107
Brisbane_Rulz

Likes (Received):

Ok that's it FFS I know a company needs an image but all this fuss over where Zara will go, god, is it run by drama queens?

As they are both on the way to the places i'm going and people I am meeting I am going to do a fact finding tour of Zara and Topshop in Sydney and Melbourne, I just cannot understand the way people go nuts over both, but having said that I'm guilty of excitement when a store opens so meh.

No it's not obession, I will be going past them so i'm going to look I want to see how they will lift Brisbane into the fashion capital but no doubt it will be depressing how far advanced they are. I want to see why both of these are causing a fuss.

Have fun all see you when I get back.
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #108
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6853

Can't wait for you to be back....
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:57 AM   #109
Timothy

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Can't wait for you to be back....
What we've all been thinking...
Timothy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #110
Birkish Delight

I've been to Zara and couldn't really see their point of difference, but then again I'm not really fashion concious.

For me it's important to know where they're going because they represent international interest in local retail and what they are willing to pay and where can have a big impact on how it effects other retailers.
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #111
brizguy

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
I've been to Zara and couldn't really see their point of difference, but then again I'm not really fashion concious.

For me it's important to know where they're going because they represent international interest in local retail and what they are willing to pay and where can have a big impact on how it effects other retailers.
Its cheap and on trend and good quality.

Topshop is fashionable and withstanding General pants (who are overpriced) beats most chain stores for cheap on trend fashion
brizguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #112
Sky_Is_The_Limit

Likes (Received): 7209

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizguy View Post
Topshop and Zara are totally different demographics however. Topshop is going to absolutely annihilate jay jays, roger david, cotton on etc. Their clothes also fit if this makes sense. More european cuts and when you get there they actually have smalls and mediums rather than what seems like a gazillion large.

Anyone know if topshop has the 10% student discount in oz like the UK?
I don't think Topshop will annihilate Cotton On because Cotton On is already established in a number of global markets, some in direct competition with the likes of Topshop. This includes Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong and the US.

What I'd like to see happen is for Cotton On to amalgamate some of it's sites into a megastore akin to a flagship store by Topshop. For instance if Cotton On put together it's Cotton On Kids, Cotton On Body, Rubi Shoes and Typo stores with some of its Cotton On stores, they would be a more impressive one stop shop.
Sky_Is_The_Limit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #113
KDreamer
Marketing & Fashion, yo.

Likes (Received): 642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Is_The_Limit View Post
I don't think Topshop will annihilate Cotton On because Cotton On is already established in a number of global markets, some in direct competition with the likes of Topshop. This includes Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong and the US.

What I'd like to see happen is for Cotton On to amalgamate some of it's sites into a megastore akin to a flagship store by Topshop. For instance if Cotton On put together it's Cotton On Kids, Cotton On Body, Rubi Shoes and Typo stores with some of its Cotton On stores, they would be a more impressive one stop shop.
Nice idea, but they'd still have to improve their whole image a lot for them to lose their cheap 'tween' reputation. Their quality isn't that great, and neither are their designs.

IMO Topshop on the other hand does a far better job of presenting themselves, and is definitely a whole lot better in the quality department.
KDreamer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #114
Tyson

Likes (Received): 604

I wouldn't have thought of TopShop and Cotton On as being particular rivals, but maybe I'm not familiar enough with what Cotton on offer as far as outer wear goes. From what I know of Cotton On I'd have thought a bigger threat to them would be if stores like Intimissimi or Calzedonia were to open up. At least for Cotton On Body.
Old February 12th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #115
dannydeckchair

Likes (Received): 261

Quote:

Zara rotates new stock every two weeks. They operate a very innovative supply chain.
dannydeckchair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #116
duke

Likes (Received): 36

New DA lodged for Shingle Inn in Brisbane City Hall - A003281329. Not sure what changes there are in this one.
duke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #117
nathandavid88

It sounds like DERM had some serious doubts about the plan (which is understandable, given it is City Hall), so they withdrew the previous DA to ensure the rest of the works to City Hall, including ones possibly impacted by that DA, could continue unimpeded.

It's very impressive just how much of the Shingle Inn was retained, and even more impressive that at least 80% of what was kept can be reused (most importantly all the tables and chairs, the timber panelling and the leadlight windows). The main change is to replacing the wall cladding, which was found to contain asbestos, and a modified entranceway.

I'm generally no fan of the Shingle Inn chain (it's on a par with The Coffee Club) but I'm really excited about this.
Old February 13th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #118
Sky_Is_The_Limit

Likes (Received): 7209

Some of you guys might be interested in a photo thread I started for Australian & New Zealand store facades.

Share your pics!

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1487757
Sky_Is_The_Limit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #119
Brisbane_Rulz

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
What we've all been thinking...
Oops sorry for offending you cyber trolls Timmy and Dim and Tim everyone has been thinking that wow you read minds.

Want me off this board send me a message instead of being cowards.
Old February 14th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #120
nathandavid88

Please keep it civil everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
extension, mandurahboyz, redevelopment, shopping