NASHVILLE | JW Marriott Hotel | Office Tower | 350ft | 34 fl | 250ft+ | 22 fl | Demo - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Nashville

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #1
MIRYDI

Likes (Received): 263

NASHVILLE | JW Marriott Hotel | Office Tower | 350ft | 34 fl | 250ft+ | 22 fl | Demo

- dmca

Last edited by desertpunk; December 17th, 2015 at 08:21 AM.
MIRYDI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #2
MIRYDI

A couple more articles about the project.

A look at the architect for the SoBro-planned JW Marriott
https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/...ed_jw_marriott

Quote:
With Nashville’s rise on the U.S. urban landscape, the city is landing projects for which high-profile architecture firms are participating.

And that is a very positive development.

The latest example, announced Monday, involves Arquitectonica, the Miami-based firm that has designed eye-catching buildings throughout the nation and in more than 15 countries worldwide.

Turnberry Associates, which is headquartered near the Arquitectonica offices, has enlististed its fellow Florida company for the roughly $350 million mixed-use development at Demonbreun Street and Eighth Avenue South, with a 35-story JW Marriott Hotel and an office high-rise to anchor the SoBro site.

The hotel (on left in below image) shows bold curvature and some pronounced embellishment near its cap. Converesely, the shorter office tower is more boxy while still offering a slightly sweeping segment along the upper portion of its eastern face.
Quote:
Turnberry executives expects to break ground next summer on the project shortly after closing on their purchase of the 3.7-acre site. The company has the property under contract with owner United Methodist Publishing House.

Turnberry officials have not given a height for the hotel tower but it would seemingly push 500 feet. If standing today, it might rank as Nashville’s second-tallest building (trailing only the AT&T Tower). The 25-story office building should rise about 300 feet (the height of the Sheraton Hotel building).

As to Arquitectonica (check the company’s work here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arquitectonica), rarely has Nashville seen projects that involved architects of any greater profile.

For example, Arquitectonica (which also operates co-headquarters offices in Los Angeles and New York) is hoping to team with 360 Architecture to design a 25,000-seat open-air Major League Soccer stadium at the Port of Miami that, if built, would rank among the world’s most distinctive sports venue (read more here http://www.archdaily.com/489283/arqu...port-of-miami/).

Of note, the Nashville project would represent Turnberry’s first involving Arquitectonica.

More on the JW Marriott...
https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/...he_jw_marriott
Old November 14th, 2014, 01:38 AM   #3
ariesjow

Likes (Received): 314

Here's another rendering of this development.

Last edited by ariesjow; November 14th, 2014 at 07:07 AM.
ariesjow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #4
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53963

Wow! What a great complex!

The 25 story office tower should exceed 350 ft.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; November 15th, 2014 at 11:22 AM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #5
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1626

I love the design. Very cool! Nashville is on fire!

MIRYDI, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
StevenW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 02:26 AM   #6
MIRYDI

^This, along with all the other glass towers going up and proposed will make a huge transformation to the skyline giving it a much needed modern look. The height on this is decent too. Should easily be over 500'.
Old December 13th, 2014, 02:50 AM   #7
wreynol4

Likes (Received): 72

When might we stat to see some action on this one? Is there an estimated start date? I would take the hotel being sold close by as a good indicator that the money from that will help fund part of this. I think this is as big as 505 CST for Nashville. 505 for sheer height and this for design.
wreynol4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 05:43 AM   #8
LA_TN

Likes (Received): 606

I think that United Methodist Publishers will not be off the property until the summer
LA_TN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 05:23 PM   #9
MIRYDI

The NP is reporting that UMPH should be vacated by May clearing the way for the JW/office tower project. This should start by the summer or early fall.

UMPH targets May move to Metro Center
https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/...o_metro_center
Quote:
United Methodist Publishing House officials are targeting a May move to Metro Center from SoBro, according to Neil Alexander (pictured), the entity’s president and publisher.

UMPH recently secured a permit, valued at $6.9 million for renovation work at its future space, located in a building at 2222 Rosa L. Parks Blvd. (Read more here about the move and see the site here in an image courtesy of Google Maps.)

The Parent Company is serving as general contractor.

United Methodist Publishing House is moving from its home on the southwest corner of the intersection of Eighth Avenue South and Demonbreun Street to make way for a mixed-use project Turnberry Associates plans (read here).

wreynol4, shakman liked this post
Old January 9th, 2015, 06:24 PM   #10
wreynol4

This is huge! I think this project is just as big in terms of design as the 60 story residential at 5th/Church with Tony G. I really hope this comes together and sounds like it will.

StevenW liked this post
Old February 16th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #11
wreynol4

Another month closer, I wonder if they are still vacating in next 90 days or so and leaving in May?
Old February 20th, 2015, 03:36 AM   #12
VVisconsin08

Likes (Received): 8893

Wow.. Those buildings look SICK!! Nashville is killing it as of late!! Glad to see all the investment going into these cities! Nashville, Milwaukee, Minneapolis and Cleveland are the new breed of American cities!! I can't wait to see how they all look in 5 years!

ariesjow liked this post
VVisconsin08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 06:25 PM   #13
wreynol4

I'm wondering if we are still on track for a summer start to this project? I still think this is the most important project in all of Nashville right now, even more so than the 60 story residential building. I apologize that my posts don't seem to have much info, I'm not in the "know" like some on the board are. Just a guy who get's excited seeing buildings going up! Any updates would be appreciated if anyone has any inside info.
Old March 10th, 2015, 06:30 AM   #14
nashvols

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreynol4 View Post
I'm wondering if we are still on track for a summer start to this project? I still think this is the most important project in all of Nashville right now, even more so than the 60 story residential building. I apologize that my posts don't seem to have much info, I'm not in the "know" like some on the board are. Just a guy who get's excited seeing buildings going up! Any updates would be appreciated if anyone has any inside info.
We really won't know how "on track" it is until the Methodist Publishing House has completely vacated the buildings. I believe they are currently moving into space in MetroCenter.

No inside info here. I would assume it is on track.
nashvols no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 08:10 AM   #15
IberiaCLT

Likes (Received): 271

Would be perfect without that amenity deck.

If I could add Anything, I would add a tallish Spire (A thick Pole) On the opposite side of the amenity deck things.
IberiaCLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 01:26 PM   #16
jonathaninATX

Likes (Received): 2941

I sure hope they build it like in the rendering.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
jonathaninATX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #17
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53963

Developer releases images of SoBro Marriott project

Quote:

Florida-based Turnberry Associates today released new images for its project planned for SoBro.

The release came as the MDHA Design Review Committee voted today to approve (read here) overall a conceptual plan regarding the exterior form and function for what would be a 34-story 532-room J.W. Marriott hotel structure and a 22-story office tower.

Turnberry, which announced the approximately $350 million project last November, wants to break ground by the end of summer. The site is located at the southwest corner of the intersection of Demonbreun Street and Eighth Avenue South.

Ray Waters, president of the company’s hospitality division, told the Post Monday afternoon the hope is to construct the two towers simultaneously.

[...]

ariesjow, shakman, gannman liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; April 8th, 2015 at 03:58 PM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #18
ariesjow

I'm so excited about this development. It's my absolute favorite Nashville proposal at the moment. This is going to look fantastic next to the new Westin and Music City Center too.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 08:46 PM   #19
ariesjow

Core drilling has been happening at the site for the last few days. Here's the article. Looks like first-quarter 2016 start.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/...d_for_marriott

Last edited by ariesjow; June 3rd, 2015 at 02:57 AM.
Old June 4th, 2015, 02:54 PM   #20
Dale

Likes (Received): 5703

I'm guessing closer to 450' than 350'.

ariesjow liked this post
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
jw marriott, nashville