NASHVILLE | Public Transport - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2018, 04:57 PM   #21
LtBk

Likes (Received): 4608

You mean people who oppose spending tax money on stuff that benefits the general public?

Old May 3rd, 2018, 10:02 PM   #22
Dale

Likes (Received): 5703

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
You mean people who oppose spending tax money on stuff that benefits the general public?
The people who opposed it are presumably the general public. I mean, why should people rush to pay for any plan just because it appeals to light rail fetishism ?
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2018, 10:07 AM   #23
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 1158

Well I think its great that common sense prevailed and the motion was turned down. This is another example of transit planning done by politicians.

Calgary which is about 20% smaller than Nashville has daily ridership on Calgary Transit of 554,000/day while Nashville has a truly pathetic 31,000, made worse by the fact that ridership in 2017 fell. Per-capita that means that for every 1 transit trip in Nashville, Calgarians take 20. For a measly 31,000 rides a day they want to spend US$6 billion? That is so absurd one hardly knows where to start.

With that kind of ridership this ridiculous tunnel won't be having any more passengers on the platform than a bus shelter. Even if ridership doubles over the next decade {and there is no reason to think it would come even remotely close to doing so}, that kind of ridership could NEVER justify any light rail to say nothing of a tunnel.

There is a difference between proactive planning and unsupported fantasy and this Nashville proposal was a stellar example of the latter.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2018, 11:26 AM   #24
dysharmonica

Location: Købehavn / Bratislava / Austin, TX / Philadelphia, PA
Likes (Received): 1367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
The people who opposed it are presumably the general public. I mean, why should people rush to pay for any plan just because it appeals to light rail fetishism ?
you clearly drank the coolaid. The plan was solid relied heavily on busses but also laid groundwork for high capacity transit in the city that needs it.

Why should we keep listening to people who cannot be bothered to think critically and fetishize tax cuts and driving to the detriment and of all of us.

MilwaukeeMax liked this post
dysharmonica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2018, 07:51 AM   #25
ssiguy2

These ridiculous plans are why they fail at the ballot box, they have no relation to reality. Just because the town of 1,000 wants a place for their kids to play ball doesn`t mean you build them an Olympic size stadium. Transit and city planners will accuse the population of not wanting better transit due to this but that is grotesquely unfair. Citizens can see the difference between a measured need and a ridiculous request.

Let`s say the Nashville system currently serves 1.5 million people as many in the exurbs, smaller town/rural areas are not served. With 31,000 Unconnected trips, that means that at MOST 10,000 people a day are using the system as they go to/from destinations and at least half will require a transfer. You seriously think that US$6 billion should be spent to serve 1% of the population?

The worse part of all, is that if this money were to be spent, a lot of Nashvillers would eventually see their already lousy transit service get even worse. This laughable/sad idea of LRT with a tunnel will cost a lot more to run than standard buses. The rails, overhead wires, vehicle, and station maintenance are not cheap so in order to cover those new expenses, they will have to cut somewhere and that inevitably means the regular bus service. The politicians will never allow their pet vanity project to close down due to high operational costs and ultra low ridership so in order to balance the books they will start cutting bus service.
Old May 5th, 2018, 10:05 AM   #26
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 3157

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor23 View Post
I agree, but It's Nashville so it will most likely get rejected. The plan looks great and its probably what the city needs to grow, but my guess is residents will make the worst possible decision and complain about traffic 30 years later.

America is a 3rd world country when it comes to urban planning of any kind.
How sad that your prediction has come true.
Old May 5th, 2018, 11:19 AM   #27
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 3157

Came across this comment from the Tennessean newspaper

I rode NYC subways for 13 years. I will never forget the stench of the schizophrenic beggars, the schizophrenic who defecated in the middle of a packed car, and the schizophrenic who was raving and waving a sword (not kidding) in a stalled train.\

Oor the scary gangs of "youths". Ditto the joys of being jammed into a crowded car in the middle of summer and standing on a sweltering, smelly platform waiting, waiting, waiting for the train to arrive.

Thanks anyway, but I prefer my car.
And my Ford truck that I require to haul my horses.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...sit/564991002/

Wow !

Old May 5th, 2018, 08:39 PM   #28
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 2052

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
These ridiculous plans are why they fail at the ballot box, they have no relation to reality. Just because the town of 1,000 wants a place for their kids to play ball doesn`t mean you build them an Olympic size stadium. Transit and city planners will accuse the population of not wanting better transit due to this but that is grotesquely unfair. Citizens can see the difference between a measured need and a ridiculous request.

Let`s say the Nashville system currently serves 1.5 million people as many in the exurbs, smaller town/rural areas are not served. With 31,000 Unconnected trips, that means that at MOST 10,000 people a day are using the system as they go to/from destinations and at least half will require a transfer. You seriously think that US$6 billion should be spent to serve 1% of the population?

The worse part of all, is that if this money were to be spent, a lot of Nashvillers would eventually see their already lousy transit service get even worse. This laughable/sad idea of LRT with a tunnel will cost a lot more to run than standard buses. The rails, overhead wires, vehicle, and station maintenance are not cheap so in order to cover those new expenses, they will have to cut somewhere and that inevitably means the regular bus service. The politicians will never allow their pet vanity project to close down due to high operational costs and ultra low ridership so in order to balance the books they will start cutting bus service.
A lot more people would use transit if service was frequent and direct. That includes buses.

Remember, Nashville tried to build a more modest BRT system. The state overrode local decision making with legislation to kill the project, which was to only receive local funding. It's one thing to question the viability of a transit project, it's another to be ideologically opposed to transit and neglect the will of the people who will be paying for it.

This kind of thing is why Nashville doesn't really appeal to me. It's a typical sunbelt "hipster" city with some ephemeral bars and restaurants and couple music studios, but mostly it's sprawly and conservative and not really urban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I rode NYC subways for 13 years. I will never forget the stench of the schizophrenic beggars, the schizophrenic who defecated in the middle of a packed car, and the schizophrenic who was raving and waving a sword (not kidding) in a stalled train.\

Oor the scary gangs of "youths". Ditto the joys of being jammed into a crowded car in the middle of summer and standing on a sweltering, smelly platform waiting, waiting, waiting for the train to arrive.

Thanks anyway, but I prefer my car.
And my Ford truck that I require to haul my horses.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...sit/564991002/

Wow !

'
I would bet money that story is completely made up. It pushes all the right buttons. The vague racism, the "I own horses, I am a real country 'murican". The automatic assumption that every homeless person is a "schizophrenic".

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than the comments section of a local newspaper website.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

dysharmonica liked this post

Last edited by zaphod; May 5th, 2018 at 08:47 PM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2018, 09:53 PM   #29
Slartibartfas

I've seen the NYC subway myself already. It looks pretty poor, dirty and rundown, like a working archeological leftover from the industrial revolution, in most parts. That is actually quite fascinating in itself but for a modern means of mass transportation of the largest city of the most powerful country on earth it is a rather sade state.

No shizophrenic beggars or defecating, sword swinging beggars either.
Old May 5th, 2018, 10:01 PM   #30
ssiguy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
A lot more people would use transit if service was frequent and direct. That includes buses.
Are you sure about that? Car centric {like Nashville} LA has spent billions on transit infrastructure to get people out of their cars but bad results. The ridership levels in LA continue to plunge so why would Nashville be any different?
Old May 5th, 2018, 10:43 PM   #31
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 8347

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post

This kind of thing is why Nashville doesn't really appeal to me. It's a typical sunbelt "hipster" city with some ephemeral bars and restaurants and couple music studios, but mostly it's sprawly and conservative and not really urban.
Spot on. Nashville is Tulsa, but with better marketing.

zaphod, dysharmonica liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2018, 11:13 PM   #32
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 2052

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
Are you sure about that? Car centric {like Nashville} LA has spent billions on transit infrastructure to get people out of their cars but bad results. The ridership levels in LA continue to plunge so why would Nashville be any different?
"Plunge" from a MUCH higher level. And only a few years ago, ridership was growing.

LA's ridership decline is a reflection of national trends. And I think it will probably stabilize when the regional connector and wilshire subway opens.

LA is also very different from Nashville, it is much denser and much more urban, and also because it can only grow up and get denser from here on out. Southern California has run up against physical barriers to ongoing sprawl and has both the wealth and demand to make large-scale urban densification a reality. The only barrier now is regulatory, the city and state is fitfully starting to address that issue. Anecdotally, I think popular opinion is starting to shift in favor of loosening anti-development zoning as young voters who faced rental misery are starting to replace their baby boomer homeowning parents. And as that happens, market forces will pretty much assure that density will happen.

Also, there's generally a correlation between traffic congestion and transit use. Traffic congestion in LA can be extreme. At some point even self driving cars won't be able to fix it. And the longer it takes to drive, the smaller the different in trip times becomes, until it becomes marginal.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

aquaticko, lrd1rocha, dysharmonica liked this post

Last edited by zaphod; May 5th, 2018 at 11:20 PM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2018, 08:28 PM   #33
Slartibartfas

Connecting Beverly Hills with true Metro almost certainly will boost ridership, at least if things are not completely messed up as this expansion will repair one of the most significant network holes of the entire system.
Old May 6th, 2018, 09:14 PM   #34
jay stew

Likes (Received): 351

Meet the new South, same as the old South.
jay stew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 07:47 AM   #35
MilwaukeeMax
🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲

Likes (Received): 4473

Unfortunately, Nashville currently lacks the population density to truly justify a high capacity light rail system, but I give their local leaders credit for trying to change the poisonous trends of sprawl somehow. If Nashville can develop some regional land-use policies for higher density developments, in 20 years, there will likely be a greater demand and outcry for high quality mass transit there, to alleviate this failed American fixation on inefficient highways and automobile infrastructure.
MilwaukeeMax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 07:19 PM   #36
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

New commuter rail station (Hamilton Springs) in Lebanon, Tennessee is expected to be complete mid-August.

Photos: https://livinglocalnashville.com/201...rings-station/
Old August 16th, 2018, 10:16 PM   #37
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

this station will open 2018.08.27

http://www.musiccitystar.org/pdf_News/n520.pdf

new schedule:

mrsmartman liked this post
Old September 11th, 2018, 01:27 AM   #38