NZ | Population Statistics Thread - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > KiwiScrapers

KiwiScrapers Kia Kaha » Auckland | Wellington | Christchurch | Hamilton | Regional Cities

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 28th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #121
Brisbaner21
Sunshine City

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
Having lived in SEQ and having family still there, both NZ and Aus born, i have to say its dissapointing to see the way its been developing. too rushed and out of control its all about money money
It is about the money, but along with that have come some amazing aspects to both Brisbane/Gold Coast and SEQ all together. I will honestly miss it here when I move to Melbourne, but I will be up here every other month or will at least try. It really is an amazing place to live.
Brisbaner21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #122
metroman
metroman

Likes (Received): 107

The weather is fabulous and that is the thing which really attracts people to the place. When the infrastructure finally catches up with the population growth, particularly on the Sunshine Coast it will be a far more liveable place. I do think parts of New Zealand will experience this type of growth. Places like Tauranga are growing at a similar growth rate. In time New Zealand will experience its own boom.
metroman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 08:33 AM   #123
sensible

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisbaner21 View Post
It is about the money, but along with that have come some amazing aspects to both Brisbane/Gold Coast and SEQ all together. I will honestly miss it here when I move to Melbourne, but I will be up here every other month or will at least try. It really is an amazing place to live.
i have a very soft spot for the place what with plenty of family and friends living there from the gold coast to north of brisbane.
sensible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #124
DML2
Aucklander

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroman View Post
The weather is fabulous and that is the thing which really attracts people to the place. When the infrastructure finally catches up with the population growth, particularly on the Sunshine Coast it will be a far more liveable place. I do think parts of New Zealand will experience this type of growth. Places like Tauranga are growing at a similar growth rate. In time New Zealand will experience its own boom.
You're quite the optimist..

:D
DML2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #125
metroman
metroman

The more often I go back to New Zealand the more I am convinced that the place is amazing, I absolutely love the place. I am feeling quite optimistic about what this new government can do for New Zealand, despite not voting National. I have seen how optimistic Queensland is about its future and despite the fact Aussies are often brash and overconfident, I think some of that is needed in New Zealand. I don't mean arrogance, I do think Kiwis should be proud of their country and should be looking at building an exciting and productive future for the country. I am curious to know more about this new $7.5 billion economic stimulus package which is being offered over the next 2 years, it almost warrants a new thread. Anyone have any details on it?
Old November 28th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #126
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Likes (Received): 57

My trip home last week, just re-enforced how much I LOVE the place for all it goods and faults.

It is truely one of the most remarkable countries in ALL the World, and I'm so proud to be able to call myself a New Zealander

"Fide Condita, Fructu Beata, Spe Fortis"
"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Davee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #127
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 11069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davee View Post
My trip home last week, just re-enforced how much I LOVE the place for all it goods and faults.

It is truely one of the most remarkable countries in ALL the World, and I'm so proud to be able to call myself a New Zealander
You could always come back. They're trying to persuade Kiwis to get back here afterall. You and Rob arriving would make up for myself and my family leaving!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #128
Orfeo

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbania View Post
Queensland's population is growing by almost twice the number of people New Zealand's population is growing by yearly. It will not be long before it bypasses NZ's population and moves ahead at a rapid pace.
I'd put money on the June '08 data showing the change over.
Orfeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #129
metroman
metroman

In a few years time a lot of expats will start coming home. The government still need to do a bit of work yet. They still need to apply the right stimulus, whether that is lower tax rates, better infrastructure or some incentive to be part of a new exciting future. Something along those lines.
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #130
vuong tt
Dont wanna go to bed

Likes (Received): 0

I know about 80,000,000 million Vietnamese who would like to move here. Countries are about same size= do you think you can handle 20x population?
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #131
sensible

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroman View Post
In a few years time a lot of expats will start coming home. The government still need to do a bit of work yet. They still need to apply the right stimulus, whether that is lower tax rates, better infrastructure or some incentive to be part of a new exciting future. Something along those lines.
well it isnt tax cuts... when i get paid double for doing what id get here no amount of tax will 'stimulate' me to come back. commercial tax though, is a different story, perhaps creating the jobs and competition to drive wages and salary's up along with other smart incentives.

i just hope this national government doesnt do what it usually does and throw the baby out with the bath water...
sensible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:57 AM   #132
Urbania
Urban Athiest

Likes (Received): 1321

Might be interested to see the latest stats from across the pond, for the year to 30 June 2008:

Latest stats from ABS today:

Total; increase; %

New South Wales
6967.2m 79.2 1.1

Victoria
5297.6 92.7 1.8

Queensland
4279.4 98.0 2.3

South Australia
1601.8 17.6 1.1

Western Australia
2163.2 57.1 2.7

Tasmania
498.2 4.8 1.0

Northern Territory
219.9 5.0 2.3

Australian Capital Territory
344.2 4.5 1.3

Australia(a)
21374.0 359.0 1.7

ESTIMATED RESIDENT POPULATION

* The preliminary estimated resident population (ERP) of Australia at 30 June 2008 was 21,374,000 persons. This was an increase of 359,000 persons (1.7%) since 30 June 2007 and 91,400 persons since 31 March 2008.
* Preliminary natural increase recorded for the year ended 30 June 2008 (145,500) was 4.3% (or 6,000 persons) higher than the natural increase recorded for the year ended 30 June 2007 (139,500).
* Preliminary net overseas migration for the year ended 30 June 2008 was 213,500 persons.

POPULATION GROWTH RATES

* Australia's population grew by 1.7% during the 12 months ended 30 June 2008. Natural increase and net overseas migration contributed 41% and 59% respectively to this total population growth.
* All states and territories experienced positive population growth over the 12 months ended 30 June 2008. Western Australia recorded the largest percentage gain (2.7%) and Tasmania the smallest (1.0%).
Urbania no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM   #133
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 25

Interesting that Victoria's growth in numbers was more than NSWs. Melbourne sprawl I assume?
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:47 AM   #134
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
Interesting that Victoria's growth in numbers was more than NSWs. Melbourne sprawl I assume?
NSW is in deep trouble at the moment and a bit of shine seems to have come off the Sydney pull. Plus Melbourne became quite the little posterboy for regeneration from its old monicker of "Bleak City". From basketcase to revitalised metropolis.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:18 AM   #135
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
You could always come back. They're trying to persuade Kiwis to get back here afterall. You and Rob arriving would make up for myself and my family leaving!
Svarty, are you leaving NZ? Are you heading for Australia or the UK?

"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM   #136
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davee View Post
Svarty, are you leaving NZ? Are you heading for Australia or the UK?
Definitely not Australia (really doesn't appeal anymore). I've decided it's Europe for me. After my Masters year next year I'm applying for a position at the MDC in Berlin for a PhD. If I fail to achieve a place there, I intend to apply at Oxbridge and London institutions for Cancer Cell Biology PhD's (specifically research into Wnt signalling as I like that pathway).

My family are moving back to the UK they've decided when it is economically feasible to do so.

Lots can happen in that time, however, that is the plan for now! As fantastic as the cancer research department is at Auckland Uni, I feel that I need international experience.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM   #137
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 1844

^ I guess we should meet up for a beer when you get to Germany...
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:35 PM   #138
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
^ I guess we should meet up for a beer when you get to Germany...
Haha, that would definitely be on the cards mate. I've always said that it's an open invite for anyone meet up with me* if people are in the area. I've already met a few members of Kiwiscrapers and each time they've turned out to be great guys.

Fair while yet though til I make it to Germany. Got a lot of hurdles to jump through first least of all getting my research to work, getting my research published, speaking at conferences and getting a dissertation written all within a year! It'll be a bumpy ride, but I look forward to it!

*Disclaimer: If I happen to feel that anyone who offers has the perchance to be an axe murderer I shall decline their invitation forthwith.

Old December 20th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #139
Brisbaner21
Sunshine City

Likes (Received): 6

Hello everyone!

Quick update:

New Zealand is doing good! Comparing it from the start of the thread till now, great population growth rate.
Brisbaner21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #140
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisbaner21 View Post
Hello everyone!

Quick update:

New Zealand is doing good! Comparing it from the start of the thread till now, great population growth rate.
Grow Baby, Grow

The Garden City
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz