...Cape Town Discussion - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Regional Development and Discussion > Western Cape > Cape Town > Discussion

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #21
Diggerdog

Likes (Received): 2536

SAA are in the process of upgrading their fleet, they have just conducted a successful restructure and are actually back in profit - quite something in this day and age.

The Qantas flights from Syd-Perth, granted only 5hr flight, are on ancient aircraft, with a single grainy screen in the cabin, red tape frequently on equipment stating 'out of order' etc.
Compared to the virgin planes on the same route - well, there is no comparison.
They are also upgrading.

Having said that, I have yet to have a sub-standard experience on SAA - and my last flight (international) with them was 3 months ago.
Diggerdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #22
xxxneoxxx

Likes (Received): 0

The last time i flew SAA was back in 2003 from LDN to JHB, it was actually on par if not better, than BA, Airfrance, KLM and Swissair which i used to take, have things changed that much?
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #23
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerdog View Post
SAA are in the process of upgrading their fleet, they have just conducted a successful restructure and are actually back in profit - quite something in this day and age.

The Qantas flights from Syd-Perth, granted only 5hr flight, are on ancient aircraft, with a single grainy screen in the cabin, red tape frequently on equipment stating 'out of order' etc.
Compared to the virgin planes on the same route - well, there is no comparison.
They are also upgrading.

Having said that, I have yet to have a sub-standard experience on SAA - and my last flight (international) with them was 3 months ago.
They aint in profit...watch the Carte Blanche program on them...
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #24
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 95

SAA no thank you.Would rather fly Egypt Air
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #25
Mo Rush

Cape Town Tourism in full force at the ITB and IDE Travel Expos

March is proving a busy month for the international marketing of Cape Town, with two large travel trade events giving the destination a chance to show off it’s authentic, value for money experiences and natural beauty. Cape Town Tourism will represent Cape Town at IDE (International Destination Expo) from 8 - 11 March 2009.

IDE is an industry expo which will showcase South Africa to members of the ASTA (American Society of Travel Agents). The ASTA is the world’s largest association of travel professionals, which includes travel agents and hospitality related business stakeholders operating in the USA.

ITB (International Tourism Bourse) in Berlin takes place between 11 and 15 March 2009 and Cape Town Tourism will again be there to market Cape Town to the estimated 180 000 trade visitors. ITB has been running since 1966 and is one of the world’s top travel trade events.

As a member of the United Nations World Tourism Organisation’s (UNWTO) Destination Council, Mariette du Toit-Helmbold, CEO of Cape Town Tourism has been invited to present Cape Town’s marketing and visitor services strategy to an international audience. Cape Town Tourism is considered a world best industry association and in the context of the economic and climate challenges faced by the international tourism industry, the powerful relationship between private and public sector becomes more and more relevant in finding innovative and sustainable solutions.

Both ITB and IDE are excellent platforms for Cape Town to showcase its alluring combination of world class tourism offerings ahead of the FIFA 2010 World Cup. In a market that is currently ultra budget-sensitive, Cape Town offers more authentic experiences, more luxury and more natural beauty combined with a rich cultural offering than many of its competitors. This whilst also offering an excellent and world acclaimed tourism infrastructure, an innovative and thriving creative economy and good service balanced with real value for money.

Germany and USA are two of Cape Town’s primary source markets so these shows are very timeous and strategically very important. In particular, it is very fortuitous that IDE has chosen South Africa for its 2009
destination.

“Cape Town is gearing up for a big 2010 event but we must not lose site of the fact that these are challenging times in our industry. Not only are people rapidly changing the way they choose a destination and what they do when they reach that destination, but they are very aware of what value they need to get for their money. We are in an exceptionally competitive phase where relationships are key to ensuring that Cape Town’s tourism industry can weather the storm.” says Cape Town CEO, Mariëtte du-Toit Helmbold, “Engagement with these key markets is essential to push tourism trade. We have prepared ourselves to market Cape Town aggressively, but very creatively and in close partnership with our provincial marketing agency, Cape Town Routes Unlimited, and the industry, at these forthcoming shows to ensure that the trade and the media keep Cape Town top of mind and top of the list for 2009 and 2010.”
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #26
Diggerdog

Likes (Received): 2536

SAA on track for operational profit – acting CEO
0 COMMENTS | ADD A COMMENT PRINT EMAIL |

By: Sapa
18th February 2009
TEXT SIZE South African Airways (SAA) remains on track to make an operational profit by the end of the year, acting CEO Chris Smyth said on Wednesday.

Briefing the National Assembly's public enterprises committee, he said SAA's restructuring programme had been successful and positioned it extremely well to meet challenges from an operational perspective.

"Our market share is growing, particularly in our focus areas, and SAA will in future... drive into new markets that offer us potential."

He cited the airline's imminent launch of its new routes to Douala in Cameroon and Buenos Aires in Argentina as an example of this.

"We will also exit markets that don't offer us profitability or offer very little future potential of profitability to us."

Smyth said customer satisfaction was also on an upward trend and SAA would strive to maintain that.

All this indicated SAA was on track to make an operational profit by the end of the year.

"Having said that, the caveat, of course, is that the forecast depth
of the [economic] meltdown and the extent of the meltdown, the time-period, the duration of it, remains as we have predicted.

"Should it be worse, it may have to be rethought, but at this stage we believe we are able to make an operational profit by the year end.

"Having said that, the bottom line will be a loss, unfortunately, and this is mainly due to the reduction in operational profit because of the reduced revenues, and that's of course in line with the economic downturn that hit us in the last quarter of last year."

SAA was also burdened by paying interest on loans, roughly to the tune of R300-million, the fuel price and hedging losses because of fuel price volatility, Smyth said.
SAA corporate strategy and business planning head Vera Kriel, said the airline was very fortunate to have started its restructuring in a buoyant market.

"We were able to negotiate and do things that other airlines started doing about 12 months after we started our programme," she said.

The restructuring plan was above target, and its success could be seen in the operating profit.

"We are, on an operating level... in the green."

As of December 2008 and going into January this year, all SAA's domestic routes were profitable, as were most international routes.

Of the international routes, Africa remained the most profitable market and SAA's market share had grown faster than overall growth, Kriel said.

Public enterprises department deputy director-general Andrew Shaw told the committee SAA was inadequately positioned to deal with the recent turbulence in the aviation market.

It was severely undercapitalised, and the R1,56-billion equity allocated for SAA in the 2009/10 Budget was not sufficient, "but is a good beginning".

The culture of dependence on government had to be reversed and the airline had to trade itself into profitability.

The restructuring programme had reduced costs, but revenue and route profitability remained ongoing challenges, he said.
Diggerdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #27
CleverPete
The Cape Town Commuter

what goes here on?

i find this forum thingy a bit deurmekaar. maybe it's just me, but I struggled to do a succesfull search to find a thread on Cape Town.
i then tried a search for Mo_Rush and no results again, I realised Mo goes without an underscore and ended up with 1000's of results.
i was stuck with a delima again
theeeeeen i tried to search for myself...sounds very wrong and i can asure you all i found myself years ago...but would you believe it, i found myself againm here on skyscrapercity forum
found the link i once posted, and clicked around and about and finally found msyelf here
just to say hi and that I promise to upload some images...
CleverPete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #28
Lydon

Likes (Received): 6309

Hehe, hellos.

The search on this site is unfortunately pretty broken, so just type "Skyscrapercity" and whatever you want to search for into Google, which will do the job instead.
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #29
Mo Rush

Calls for journalists to register for 2010

With hundreds of international broadcasters and journalists expected in Cape Town during next year’s World Cup, the provincial government has urged local media and broadcasting service providers to register on the 2010 Cape Media Services database. Launched late last year by the provincial government and the City of Cape Town, the 2010 Cape Media Services network was established to assist broadcasters, journalists and international media agencies with resources, studio space and technical facilities during the World Cup. The Cape Argus reports that the provincial government has called on local companies and media professionals, preferably with technical expertise, to register on the service’s database.
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #30
Mo Rush

World Cup fever comes to Cape Town

By Paul Anstiss

09-03-2009
Listen to the report

2010 World Cup fever is spreading across South Africa as the country gets ready to host the biggest sporting event the African continent has ever seen. No where is that more evident than in Cape Town, the venue for the semi-finals. Everywhere you look mechanical cranes hover in the sky and cement mixers churn from dawn until dusk.

The pace of the development is simply breath-taking. Not long ago Cape Town's airport was just a fraction of the size it is today. Soon it will be ready to welcome the half a million or so football fans and tourists who are expected to arrive in June next year. A new public transport system, improved roads, eight new hotels, luxury apartments, and a world-class stadium are also being built. The World Cup is seen as an economic driving force.

Pieter Cronje is Cape Town's official spokesman for 2010. He says:

"It means a great deal. It means we get an opportunity to show case or to be part of the biggest sporting event in the world. It gives us the opportunity to show our beautiful city and its surroundings to literally billions of viewers around the world. It also gives us the opportunity to improve the infrastructure, the quality of our services and to use that as a platform to promote long-term economic growth and investment."

At the heart of the development taking place in Cape Town is the new 400 million euro Green Point Stadium. Since the project started in 2006 more than 2000 jobs have been created. To promote a team spirit construction workers sign a contract similar to those given to football players. Anyone who is in breach of safety rules is automatically given a "red card" and "sent off."

Despite critics' fears that South Africa would not be ready when the games kick off in June next year, the construction of the 68,000-seater venue is running several months ahead of schedule. It has been designed to fit in with the beautiful Cape Town landscape which is dominated by Table Mountain.

Hanging roof

Perhaps its most dramatic feature is the roof which is made up of 36,000 square metres of glass and covers the stadium seating. It hangs from 72 columns. Architect Robert Holmes from the German company GMP-Architekten says that in Cape Town you have to consider the roof of the building as the fifth facade and consider its impact on people's views.

"The task for the roof was to build the stadium as low as possible, not to restrict too many viewing lines of people over the common into the sea. The hanging roof is like the rim of a bicycle wheel that collects all the force that a roof has. Due to its pure weight it's a tension structure. The problem with a hanging roof is that it could fly up when you have wind sucking over the roof so we are loading the roof with the exact amount of weight to cater for strong winds. We have never done this before."

Another feature of the stadium is the translucent metallic fabric veil that will wrap around it. It plays on the theme that fabrics play a very special role in African life. Depending on lighting conditions, the colour of the stadium will change, and light will be allowed both in and out.

Football overshadowed

Until now, sport in South Africa has been dominated by cricket and rugby which have attracted most of the available sponsorship money. Football fans are hoping that this will all change when sports enthusiasts catch World Cup fever.

One of the city's most popular football teams is Ajax, Cape Town, or the "Urban Warriors" as they are more affectionately known among fans. The club is affiliated to the Dutch team Ajax, Amsterdam. Recently, Maarten Stekelenburg, the man responsible for developing young players in the Netherlands signed a three-year contract as Head of Youth Development at the Cape Town club. His main job is to help Cape Town's budding stars make it to the first team, but he says that one day some of them could be playing for Amsterdam. He says:

"If I compare the quality of the players here and in Amsterdam it's quite a good level. And I think we can compete with players in Amsterdam and as you know the youth academy in Amsterdam is quite a good level, and it says something about the level here."

World Cup vibe

One of Ajax Cape Town's star players is its captain, Brett Evans. He is hoping to be chosen for Bafana, South Africa's national squad. He says that football fans across the country are crossing off the days on the calendar until the 2010 World Cup begins:

"It's a great opportunity. We never get this opportunity to watch the best football. The best players in the world will be coming to our doorstep, so we are looking forward to it."

Whatever the motivation, people across Cape Town are getting what Brett Evans describes as the "World Cup vibe."

For some 2010 is the chance for South African soccer to shine in the spotlight and no longer be sport's Cinderella. For others, the hope is that the World Cup will give the country an economic boost whose effects will be felt for years to come.
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #31
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 710

Godzille Is Coming Taxi Drivers!!!

Today's Argus Front Page
Thought you would love what Zille has said to the taxi's in Cape Town! Ha ha... f' you "law unto yourself" bastards. Someone who has the guts to show the single-finger salute to these disgusting commute-bosses of Satan.

annman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #32
Enigma_za
This Enigma NOT the other

Likes (Received): 4

Gongratulations to Ms Zille .. finally someone has stood up to these idiots
Enigma_za no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #33
Enigma_za
This Enigma NOT the other

Likes (Received): 4

I'll call army on taxis - Zille
Mayor's warning to bodies that threaten to sow chaos

March 10, 2009 Edition 2

MURRAY WILLIAMS and FRANCIS HWESHE

TAXI operators today warned that another strike was imminent, after a threat from Cape Town Mayor Helen Zille to call in the army to clamp down on taxi associations that threatened to sow chaos on the city's road.

News of another planned strike was disclosed ahead of the National Taxi Association (NTA) meeting which was scheduled for this afternoon at the Solomon Mahlangu Hall in Khayelitsha.

The date for the strike was expected to be announced after the meeting, said taxi association spokesman Mviyisi Mente, which was planned to give feedback to members following their meeting with Zille, which he called "disappointing".

Mente also warned that the taxi operators were not afraid of Zille's threat to call in the army in the event of a strike. "But we don't want things to go that way," he said.

He branded Zille a dictator, saying a mediator should be sought to resolve the stand-off between the city and taxi operators over the contentious integrated Bus Rapid Transport (BRT) system.

The face-off between the City and taxi owners affiliated to the NTA began after talks broke down on Sunday. At the heart of the matter is the City's plan to implement its long-researched BRT, which promises to finally give Cape Town a proper public transport system. But this has put Zille at loggerheads with some taxi associations, prompting the talk of a new strike.

Zille is due to meet Premier Lynne Brown today to gain the provincial government's support for implementing the BRT system. Zille said she would also discuss with Brown the establishment of a "crack taxi task force to deal with any lawless elements". "We'll call in the army if we have to," she warned.

Zille said it was the city's explicit wish for the taxi industry to wholly become part of the BRT, and that the system held "massive benefits" for the taxi industry - especially its drivers. This would include drivers being offered proper employment benefits for the first time, including proper salaries, pensions and sick leave.

She alleged taxi owners did not want drivers to hear this as they feared they would lose their power over their transport fiefdoms.

"The City of Cape Town is constitutionally bound to get municipal transport going. It's a mess, and in some cases non-existent," Zille said.

Among the features of the BRT are dedicated lanes for public transport, a smart ticketing system and the integrations of all forms of public transport - taxis, buses and trains - into one slick cohesive transport machine.

Zille said most of the 160 taxi associations were already starting to work with the City, but alleged that the NTA remained recalcitrant.

Mente said the NTA was prepared to engage with the BRT process, but that it wished to negotiate and not be dictated to. "Helen Zille kept on saying we have refused the presentation of the BRT three times. She is lying."

Mente said the NTA also wanted other issues addressed, including alleged harassment by traffic authorities - but said the NTA supported the dedicated lanes.
Enigma_za no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #34
Gulivar

Oh bother.
Gulivar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #35
Mo Rush

City ready for strike action

By Mikhaila Crowie
12 March 2009

The City of Cape Town has noted threats of strike action by the members of the mini-bus taxi industry.

Contingency plans have been put in place to ensure continued service delivery.

If there are any disruptions related to strike action the City will respond to these in terms of its constitutional mandate.

City of Cape Town’s Kylie Hatton said the City is taking threats by the mini-bus taxi industry very seriously.

“The City is co-ordinating with the South African Police service as well in the event of any disruption or violence attached to a strike.”
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #36
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 710

Honestly, I think the taxi driver's should seriously try to behave themselves this time. I've seldom seen Helen Zille on this type of warpath, and when she gets serious, she gets damn serious. She has patience and restraint, but I would not take her mood lightly now if I were them.
annman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #37
Mo Rush

Cape Town Festival 2009

Cape Town Festival announces star studded headline acts as "one city, many cultures" event hails in 10th anniversary celebrations.

Says Western Cape Premier Lynne Brown of Cape Town Festival 2009: "We are lucky to live in a beautiful city where people from all walks of life come together on a daily basis, where strangers say hello in the street and a smile is never far away. The Cape Town Festival highlights those aspects of co-operation and is a celebration of diversity that is a reflection of the spirit of Capetonians."

"We have come up with a truly remarkable line-up of unifying events in this, the tenth year of Cape Town Festival. It is hard to believe that ten years have flown by so fast," says Cape Town Festival Chairperson Ryland Fisher as he announces a glittering Cape Town Festival 2009 line-up.

As a fitting tribute for a decade of endeavouring to bring Capetonians closer together in what is viewed by some as an "incomparable" culture and heritage event, Cape Town Festival 2009's Main Festival weekend takes place between Friday 20 and Sunday 22 March at what has become a perennially popular Cape Town Festival venue of the Company's Gardens.

Billed as a diverse arts, culture and heritage event that caters for all cultural groups and ages, Mother City residents and visitors alike can look forward to a Main Festival line-up that includes jazz greats Jonathan Rubain, featuring Robbie Jansen; Alvin Dyers, featuring Leslie Kleinsmith; as well as other homegrown favourites such as Prime Circle, Coda, The Rudimentals, The Rockets, and Alistair Izobel. Yet more jazz indulgences are to be had with the presence of rising star, 23-year-old Khayelitsha resident Nomfusi Gotyana (the only newcomer invited to perform at a recent Miriam Makeba tribute concert), as well as Mono Dullisear, Celeste Williams, Moreira Project, and Raylene.

Cape Town Festival 2009 culminates in the Cape Town Festival's flagship event, the Human Rights Day celebration on Sunday 22 March, which will include a marimba performance and cultural dancing; community artists from Atlantis, Muizenberg and Hanover Park; Kunjalo; Alistair Izobel; and The Rockets. This collaboration of headline entertainers across genres will no doubt attract a diverse cross section of festival-goers.

This is preceded by a lecture series between Tuesday 17 and Thursday 19 March.

A stimulating Youth Workshop Programme, which will seek to engage 2 000 learners from no less than 30 schools, takes place from Monday 16 until Friday 20 March.

Cape Town Festival 2009Contextualising Cape Town Festival as the Mother City continues to build capacity ahead of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, Fisher outlines the Cape Town Festival mission as "seeking to celebrate Cape Town, its people and diverse cultures while contributing to local economic development and promotion of tourism."

"Our vision remains true to the 'One City, Many Cultures' ethos," he adds. "We aim to play a key role in contributing towards a more tolerant, united and integrated city," he says.
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #38
Mo Rush

R1.6bn upgrade for Koeberg

Bookmark and Share

16 March 2009

French power company Alstom has secured a contract worth approximately €125-million (about R1.6-billion) from South African state company Eskom to upgrade the Koeberg nuclear power station outside Cape Town.

The work will involve retro-fitting the low-pressure turbines of the two 970 MWe units at South Africa's sole nuclear power plant, increasing the station's output by over 65 MW, improving availability and reliability, and extending the lifetime of the plant.

"We are pleased to have this opportunity to further build on our relationship with Eskom through the supply of the retrofit for their two steam turbines," Alstom's Guy Chardon said in a statement this week.

"We believe nuclear energy offers a carbon-free, efficient, viable alternative for meeting increasing demand for energy."

The retrofits will be carried out during planned refuelling outages, thus reducing the chance of interruption to generation from the station.
Increasing capacity

Eskom and Alstom have worked together on previous projects such as the retrofitting of the Arnot power plant, an integrated retrofit project providing a capacity increase to that station of more than 300 MW.

The utility also recently placed orders for new equipment contracts with Alstom for the Medupi and Kusile coal-fired power plants, producing 4 800 MW each.

Eskom began construction on the Kusile coal-fired base load power station near Witbank in Mpumalanga province in September last year, while work on the Medupi coal-fired base load power station, near Lephalale in Limpopo province, began in April.

The first of Medupi's six generating units will be commissioned by early 2011, with the last unit scheduled for commissioning by January 2015. The first of Kusile's six generating units is scheduled for completion by 2013, followed by the completion on an additional unit after every eight months.

SAinfo reporter
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #39
Mo Rush

How street mimes and 'knights of the zebra' helped cut crime in Bogota

March 17, 2009 Edition 1

Diana Sanchez and Suren Pillay

One of the most contested issues in the upcoming elections is going to be the debate on violent crime, and what to do about it. In the Western Cape it is an often ignored fact in the popular consciousness that it is this province, rather than Gauteng, that is considered the murder capital of the country.

The scale and tenacity of the problem can at times become overwhelming to citizens and policy makers alike. Whilst there has been a reduction in the number of homicides in the country over the last few years, this has not necessarily dented the public perception of widespread insecurity and fear amongst both suburban residents and residents in townships and the poor informal settlements.

Criminality is still pervasive in various forms, including violent assaults and household robberies.

Lest we give up in despair, it's worth realising that we are not the only country with this problem.

We can draw lessons and even solace in experiences elsewhere in the world, where violent crime has actually been tackled with remarkable success, and in innovative ways which have fostered a sense of community.

More so, it's worth looking to parts of the world which share similar resource constraints to us and which are also divided societies with violent and colonial pasts.

These experiences offer clues not only about how to think about solutions to our problems, but also about how to provide effective political leadership in trying times.

During the decade 1993-2003 Bogota, the capital of Colombia, one of the most violent countries in the world, achieved a remarkable reduction of its homicide rates through an innovative approach which combined morality, law and culture, and investment in changing mindsets, not simply in more policing and weapons.

Behind this approach was the mayor, Antanas Mockus, who has become an international icon of creative administration and an example of the current vogue in Latin America for anti-politicians. Philosopher and mathematician, and twice elected mayor, he teaches the value of artful responses to crime, corruption and violence.

He resigned from his position as rector of the Colombian National University to run for mayor, and with an educator's inventiveness and belief that to govern is to educate, turned the city into a social experiment, taking charge of, as he described it back then, "a 6.5 million person classroom". His most effective campaigns combined material incentives with normative change and participatory governance. Mockus identified the divide between law and popular morality as a major obstacle to building safer societies. His two terms in office emphasised modifying the practices of citizens who endangered co-existence and affected safety.

The fact that he was an unusual leader and not aligned to any political party gave the mayor the opportunity to try extraordinary things for changing mindsets - and eventually the behaviour - of the city's inhabitants not through preaching but through artistically creative strategies that employed the power of individual and community disapproval.

"If people know the rules and are sensitised by art, humour and creativity, they are much more likely to accept change," he argued.

His initiatives included the deployment of street mimes to correct the behaviour of drivers and pedestrians, symbolic actions against family violence, events such as a "Night for Women'', asking men to stay at home and reflect about the role of women in a less violent society, voluntary disarmament days, the distribution of "thumbs-up" and "thumbs-down" cards for citizens to approve or disapprove of the behaviour of fellow citizens and rewarding the good behaviour of important city agents such as taxi drivers amongst others. In this initiative, he asked people to identify the kind and honest drivers. After a small group of 150 were identified, he called them into his office, named them the "knights of the zebra" and welcomed their advice on how to improve the behaviour of aggressive taxi drivers and encouraged them to become examples for other drivers.

While mimes controlling traffic made citizens aware that authority was not just a matter of punishment, engaging with exemplary taxi drivers showed the importance of empowering citizens for broader transformation. While symbolism was a core element, technical means were put in place in a pedagogical manner and innovation took a more formalised form.

He worked on improving punitive justice and reforming the police through a new code.

Security councils were strengthened and safety actions were focused on crime statistics and detailed space-time analysis and risk factors. Similarly, a sub-secretariat of security and coexistence was created, fostering a stable working team of civil servants, an information system and a routine of meetings and publications and inter-institutional cooperation.

Other actions to promote civic co-existence included the construction or re-furbishing of police centres, public campaigns against intra-familiar violence, and attention to community conflicts was also improved with Justice Houses, Mediation Centers, attention to vulnerable groups, recovery of public spaces and urban surroundings among others. In South Africa we might not want to adopt the same interventions, but we can recognise that change is possible even in contexts and places highly resistant to change, like Colombia.

Mockus imagined a new social reality and indeed started co-creating it with fellow citizens through an approach focused more on reinforcing the positive dimensions of humans living in a collective and not simply by repressing the negative aspects. Although his time in office was not long enough to consolidate a new generation of citizens and many challenges remain, the seeds were sown and many Bogotanos carry around a sense of nostalgia for security policies embedded in the idea of co-existence (or living together, the real meaning of "convivir" in Spanish).

If South Africans managed to escape from apartheid, they could certainly manage to break the current cycle of violent crime.

# Sanchez and Pillay are in the Democracy and Governance Programme of the Human Sciences Research Council. The HSRC is to host Professor Mockus on March 23 in Cape Town for a public lecture at 6pm at the Centre for the Book, 62 Victoria Rd. E-mail Estelle Krishnan: [email protected]
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #40
Mo Rush

New protection zone to cover 307km of coast 'assets'
March 17, 2009

The CITY of Cape Town would set up a coastal protection zone in a bid to prevent further degradation of its coastline, it announced yesterday.

"The city's 307km coastline, from Silwerstroomstrand near Atlantis to Gordon's Bay, is arguably one of its greatest economic, social and environmental assets," said Brian Watkyns, the chairman of the Planning and Environment Portfolio Committee.

"Yet all areas outside the recreational nodes are effectively 'unmanaged space', with no line function taking full responsibility for its management," he said. "Moreover, due to the high demand for seafront property, the coastline has been extensively altered by 'strip' development."

Watkyns said this had led to problems such as land erosion and the permanent destruction of sand dune systems currently experienced in Hout Bay, Milnerton, Llandudno, Table View and Strand.

The zone would be mapped according to future development options, coastal flood risk areas, the biodiversity network, the replacement of "strip" development with nodal development, and the protection of environmental processes.

Gregg Oelofse, the head of environmental policy and strategy in the city's department for environmental resource management, said integrated coastal management was highly complex.

"The city only has two fulltime posts dedicated to coastal management and no specific coastal engineering expertise," Oelefse revealed. - Sapa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cape town, mandurahboyz