The Philippine Economy - Page 49 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > The Economy, Industry and Development Issues

The Economy, Industry and Development Issues Current news and events with regards to the economy, industry and urban development issues

Old January 27th, 2020, 09:58 PM   #961
Max Lock

Likes (Received): 783

IWG, DLI to build 6 new workspaces in Mindanao
source: Manila Bulletin
Quote:
IWG, the leading flexible workspace provider with brands such as Regus and Spaces, has signed a franchise partnership agreement with Davao-based property developer Damosa Land, Inc. (DLI) to build 6 new flexible workspace centers across Mindanao.

Under the franchise partnership agreement, DLI will be granted the exclusivity to develop and operate eight IWG centers across Mindanao in the cities of Davao, Cagayan de Oro and General Santos.

“We recognize the strong demand from Mindanao, and are pleased to offer this partnership in cities of Davao, Cagayan de Oro and General Santos to help the local economy create new jobs, stimulate business growth in the surrounding area and improve productivity for enterprises,” said Kenley.

Ricardo F. Lagdameo, First Vice President, said, “We are very excited to deepen our partnership with IWG. This franchise partnership will allow us to bring the world-class benefits of flexible working to the businesses and professionals in Mindanao. Our first Regus workspace has been a great success, and we aim to replicate this in our future franchise centers.”
Max Lock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 04:25 AM   #962
jklimqueco

Likes (Received): 170

What's your stand on 100% FDI restrictions? Do you think it will help our economy (of course)? What will be its effect in big companies like Ayala, MPIC and SM? Is it suitable in the Philippines with to much politics?
jklimqueco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM   #963
Parchie

Likes (Received): 2722

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklimqueco View Post
What's your stand on 100% FDI restrictions? Do you think it will help our economy (of course)? What will be its effect in big companies like Ayala, MPIC and SM? Is it suitable in the Philippines with to much politics?
Foreign investors must qualify and that qualifying agency is the DOST. That is on top of the payment of paid-in capital. If the new investment is not utilizing "new technology", I guess it doesn't qualify. It's kinda vague there but I hope DOST is ready with these jobs given to them. The bad thing is this new law is that it doesn't help in providing new jobs to our professionals. The new law reduces the requirement of hiring at least 50 local hires to about 15! Our people will still be going abroad to find better-paying jobs!

Ayalas, Sys, etc might not be affected. If they will, it's none of my business. The most I can see is the loss of opportunities for them to take part in any future ventures as the investors can own the businesses 100%. Methinks they have their niches already covered there. If we limit investments, we're just like bailing water off from one side of the swimming pool and pouring it on the other side!
The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all: it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same level, to breed a standard citizenry, to put down dissent and originality.

- H.L. Mencken

Sky_Higher liked this post
Parchie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM   #964
jklimqueco

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parchie View Post
Foreign investors must qualify and that qualifying agency is the DOST. That is on top of the payment of paid-in capital. If the new investment is not utilizing "new technology", I guess it doesn't qualify. It's kinda vague there but I hope DOST is ready with these jobs given to them. The bad thing is this new law is that it doesn't help in providing new jobs to our professionals. The new law reduces the requirement of hiring at least 50 local hires to about 15! Our people will still be going abroad to find better-paying jobs!

Ayalas, Sys, etc might not be affected. If they will, it's none of my business. The most I can see is the loss of opportunities for them to take part in any future ventures as the investors can own the businesses 100%. Methinks they have their niches already covered there. If we limit investments, we're just like bailing water off from one side of the swimming pool and pouring it on the other side!
That FDI restrictions with qualifying requirements are existing now. With the PEZA and economic zone.

Its not the ideal FDI that I'm talking about. Full foreign ownership without restrictions is the FDI Im talking about.
jklimqueco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:36 PM   #965
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 3441

Actually, it will have a slightly negative to every Asian country, not only The Philippines.

Coronavirus outbreak to have ‘slightly negative effects’ on Philippine economy
January 29, 2020 - 9:12pm

MANILA, Philippines — The deadly SARS-like virus that’s threatening Asia’s tourism industry and rattling financial markets will likely have “slightly negative effects” on the Philippine economy, a global bank said Wednesday.

More than 130 people have died since the new strain of coronavirus emerged in China's Wuhan, and millions are now under an effective quarantine.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement