San José Development News - Page 752 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2017, 11:20 PM   #15021
aphelion2100

Likes (Received): 1623

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickupton View Post
I got a long chain of forwarded emails with this info about a light tower at Plaza de Cesar Chavez. Check out the website at http://sanjoselighttower.org/

A note from Steve Borkenhagen and the SJ Light Tower:

I am thrilled to announce that Tom Wohlmut, Jon Ball and I have formed the San Jose Light Tower Corporation, a 501(c)(3) non profit corporation. We are working to build a NEW iconic 21st century light tower in Plaza de Cesar Chavez. This tower will NOT be a re-creation of the old tower.

As a preamble to the effort to build the tower, Tom is producing a special documentary film titled The Light Between Two Towers: A remarkable story about the San Jose Light Tower and its relationship to the Eiffel Tower. The film is about the relationship between the old San Jose light tower that existed from 1881 until 1915 and the Eiffel Tower built in 1889.

We will be holding a fundraising event on Tuesday August 8 from 5:30PM until 7:00PM at Cafe Stritch to raise the necessary funds to complete production of the film. Please come and join us for this special evening where Tom will regale us with stories from his film. Thanks, in advance, for your consideration. Please let me know if you can join us.

Steve Borkenhagen
San Jose Light Tower Corporation
189 West Santa Clara Street
San Jose, CA 95113
[email protected]
cell 408 813-5984

Please text “SJLIGHTTOWER” to 22828 to add your email address to our mailing list.
Looks like the odds of this idea may be taking off:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/3...w-light-tower/

Quote:
Then they intend to have an international design competition for a new light tower expected to reach as high as 250 feet. Borkenhagen says he has talked with city officials, who have suggested a process to determine the best location.

CTA25 liked this post

Last edited by aphelion2100; August 1st, 2017 at 12:23 AM.
aphelion2100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2017, 11:21 PM   #15022
quadshock

Likes (Received): 650

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...-map-svbj.html

According to this, construction on the Flea Market project ("The Platform") is about to be under way
quadshock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 11:39 PM   #15023
sjn

Likes (Received): 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadshock View Post
The entire front of the building, yes, but last time we discussed, the permit they applied for indicated that it's only using half of the space vacated by BlackArrow.

http://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/61344

The entire half facing Almaden Ave is not a part of it, and neither is any patio. I'm not sure if that just means it's being done in phases (similar to Sushi Confidential) just because the city's permit process for outdoor spaces sounds like an absolute nightmare
Yes, so by the looks of the doc on page 3, and looking at the pics on their FB page, they only plan to use the front half and the back half, with the patio still be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphelion2100 View Post

I like the concept of doing this, and the new info that they'd host a design competition, implying they want something awesome and not just a recreation of the original. Though when the time comes that the "incredible, awe-inspiring" design is chosen and budgeted to be tens of millions of dollars or more, it'll stink when reality sets in that it's unlikely to be completely privately fundable.

Last edited by sjn; August 1st, 2017 at 12:15 AM.
sjn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 12:17 AM   #15024
SanJoseBorn

Likes (Received): 380

[QUOTE=sjn;141522493]Yes, so by the looks of the doc on page 3, and looking at the pics on their FB page, they only plan to use the front half and the back half, with the patio still be available.

To the extent that the City does not want noise to "impact" the surrounding areas, I find it hard to believe that they will allow some late night "social" use for the (former) patio area.
SanJoseBorn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 12:50 AM   #15025
sjn

Large North San Jose low-density office park looking to get redeveloped with hotel, office, retail

San Jose industrial site eyed for hotel, retail, offices: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/3...l-development/

Quote:
A chunk of a big industrial park in north San Jose could be redeveloped as a site for a new hotel and potentially retail and offices, city planners said Monday.

LBA Realty, a veteran development firm, has proposed development of a hotel and commercial uses that could include office buildings and retail on 14 acres of a 68-acre site that an affiliate of the company has bought at the corner of Trimble Road and Orchard Parkway in San Jose.

That filing includes a proposal for a 250-room hotel in addition to 100,000 square feet of commercial uses on the 14 acres now under study for redevelopment.

The affiliate of the developer, an entity called LBA RVI-Company, also obtained a $91.3 million construction loan from Bank of America, which is a type of loan typically used to finance a development project.

aphelion2100 liked this post
Old August 1st, 2017, 12:59 AM   #15026
robertee

Likes (Received): 1448

New permit app:

Old August 1st, 2017, 01:03 AM   #15027
quadshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertee View Post

New permit app:

Yesss this is one of those "how do we have this completely empty lot downtown???" Locations. I'm glad more areas near campus are targeting students

Last edited by quadshock; August 1st, 2017 at 01:28 AM.
Old August 1st, 2017, 01:06 AM   #15028
aphelion2100

deleted due to duplication

Last edited by aphelion2100; August 1st, 2017 at 01:13 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old August 1st, 2017, 01:07 AM   #15029
sjn

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertee View Post

New permit app:

I had been thinking for a while that the St. James Park redevelopment could lead to developers planning projects in the area to the East, especially that spot.

rickupton liked this post

Last edited by sjn; August 1st, 2017 at 05:30 AM.
Old August 1st, 2017, 01:21 AM   #15030
aphelion2100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjn View Post
26 story student housing high rise. Holy ******* shit. Bring it on. I had been thinking for a while that the St. James Park redevelopment could lead to developers planning projects in the area to the East. Looks like my hunch was right.

Secondary thought: Anyone else think that having two "student housing high rises" is a great marketer for SJSU, and overall awesome? I would love to see even more.
Right across the street from the Donner Lofts Apartments! Would you want to live there?

Old August 1st, 2017, 02:12 AM   #15031
AMRivlin
Landscape Architect

Likes (Received): 97

San Jose's Lumileds Campus sells for $130m, for future Hotel/Retail center

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/3...l-development/

quadshock liked this post
AMRivlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 02:15 AM   #15032
Dirk_Birkin

Likes (Received): 1477

Quote:
Right across the street from the Donner Lofts Apartments! Would you want to live there?
students are the exact demographic that will mostly shrug off the police activity at donner lofts. adding this much housing in the vicinity of saint james park will also help the city's vision for activating the park. people doing illegal things don't want to be seen by people that might turn them in. 1000 new eyes on the block will drive some of the crime element out.

i'm more interested to see what the neighboring residential has to say about plopping down a 26 story tower in their backyards. if there isn't much opposition, the city could use the site as precedent against the nimby movement on other sites.

sjn, quadshock, bobby_guz_man, CTA25 liked this post
Dirk_Birkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 02:31 AM   #15033
dirt patch

Likes (Received): 419

Not again: too many dreams dashed! Oh no, false ecco of new towers

Towers not built:

1. Parkview
2. Post Tower
3. North San Pedro Tower
4. Gateway Tower
5. Graduate
6. Senior Tower on 4th st
7. Trammel's Diridon station
8. Museum Tower
9. Julian area towers
10 Platinum Towers
11 Civic Center Towers
12 Park Ave Tower
13 10 story tower on S. 4th
14 Sheraton tower
15 new dorm tower now proposed

None of them built and will never get built. Talk, Talk Talk, Talk and no walk, talk/dreams
dirt patch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 02:38 AM   #15034
dirt patch

Likes (Received): 419

It breaks my heart with all those high rises proposed with none of them seeing the daylight of them reaching shovel in the ground.wish could put sad icon
dirt patch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 03:02 AM   #15035
quadshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMRivlin View Post
San Jose's Lumileds Campus sells for $130m, for future Hotel/Retail center

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/3...l-development/
Just a few blocks away from this too. If this means we can start to see more properly planned areas in NSJ I'd be very happy...
Old August 1st, 2017, 03:05 AM   #15036
quadshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk_Birkin View Post
students are the exact demographic that will mostly shrug off the police activity at donner lofts. adding this much housing in the vicinity of saint james park will also help the city's vision for activating the park. people doing illegal things don't want to be seen by people that might turn them in. 1000 new eyes on the block will drive some of the crime element out.

i'm more interested to see what the neighboring residential has to say about plopping down a 26 story tower in their backyards. if there isn't much opposition, the city could use the site as precedent against the nimby movement on other sites.
I just don't understand how NIMBYism can be a thing when there are already towers like two blocks down. Like this will be the tower that finally ruins the neighborhood? It makes no sense to me. I can at least understand people living in Cupertino/Saratoga/Los Gatos opposing. But a couple blocks from City Hall? Where you can see the 88 from your front door?

Anyhow, I think many problems can be addressed (not necessarily solved...) by having "eyes on the [block, street, corner]". I think Donner Lofts has issues that need to be addressed, I would hope it doesn't have the same problem years from now.

DarkEconomist, bobby_guz_man liked this post
Old August 1st, 2017, 06:19 AM   #15037
bobby_guz_man

Likes (Received): 659

Quote:

Oooh another Murky News article, most likely filled with pessimistic and sarcastic San Jose apologists.

I'm on it like white on rice ya'll!!!!
bobby_guz_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 06:28 AM   #15038
bobby_guz_man

Likes (Received): 659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk_Birkin View Post
Not to mention that the students would most likely use St. James Park even more than regular residents will. Something about being young and party-hardy LOL

I can already see student block parties every evenings and weekend at the park.
bobby_guz_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 06:52 AM   #15039
siliconvalleyjoe

Likes (Received): 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjn View Post
If it helps you see better the plans, I took a pic yesterday too of the District SJ restaurant, looks like it'd use the remaining half of the building, since Firehouse uses the right side. You can also see some internal pics on their Facebook page, looks like it's fairly big.

Yes, the large building will be split in two. However, this is not as bad as it would seem. In fact, it is good news.

The economics of restaurants, especially in today's environment, make it hard to make money once you start getting larger than 5,000 sq. ft. Only the very well-capitalized and very experienced larger chains can make huge spaces work at the high rents that a core downtown location commands.

I would guess the space is $3/sq. ft. or possibly more (not including triple net expenses). So, you're talking $15,000 for base rent + probably another $5k for NNN expenses + water, sewer, PG&E, chefs, servers, bartenders, bouncers, marketing. 1/4 million per year in rent + operational expenses. It's a lot.

5,000 sq. ft. is a great size. It's actually a large restaurant. It's ideal, as it faces the main San Pedro St. stroll (which will be extended with Silvery Towers restaurants & Modera).

The now vacant rear will be 4,000 sq. ft. & is also good for a restaurant. It will also provide much needed activity on the Almaden side, especially after Modera killed about 3 restaurants on that side.

District has planned a garbage alley that goes to Almaden for easier loading.

So instead of one good restaurant, you will have 2 good large restaurants that add to the placemaking of San Pedro Square. Since this restaurant row is one of the few reasons people go to downtown, it will further enhance the area. It is, afterall, one of the only areas in San Jose where you can see some history (the Peralta Adobe) and eat a properly made Italian pizza (Pizza Boca Lupo)

bobby_guz_man, sjn liked this post
siliconvalleyjoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 07:11 AM   #15040
SJ_7Treez408

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
AS is expected. We're not gonna be seeing Shaun going ham in Santana Row that's for sure.

At least we'll see the San Jose badging on hospital scrubs :P
you're a cornball dude shut up, just stick to development news and quit trying to be cool and funny cause you're not

bobby_guz_man liked this post
SJ_7Treez408 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
san josé