Mumbai | Coastal Road (Western Freeway) - Page 31 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Highways and Bridges

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 12th, 2019, 08:51 PM   #601
ANIX_K

Likes (Received): 68

BMC sets up 3 disaster mgmt posts for Coastal Rd project
https://www.asianage.com/metros/mumb...d-project.html

Old June 13th, 2019, 01:10 PM   #602
Dahanukarwadi

Likes (Received): 122

How long before both coastal stretch and sea link go kaput?

Sent from my A37fw using SkyscraperCity Forums mobile app

a151 liked this post
Dahanukarwadi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 11:05 PM   #603
PrasadK2k

Likes (Received): 289

https://twitter.com/saveourcoastMUM/...555882497?s=19
PrasadK2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 11:10 PM   #604
PrasadK2k

Likes (Received): 289

IMG_20190615_023601.jpg
PrasadK2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 08:33 PM   #605
avishar

Likes (Received): 980

If has to be shelved, please shelve it before more of it is built. Last thing we need is half built crap along the coast.

avishar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 09:01 PM   #606
philebus

Likes (Received): 856

Every major coastal highway infrastructure project sees this. Study the history of reclamation, feed highways and under-construction pictures of the Kansai airport (Osaka, Japan) and others. During high tides and low tides. Before and after heavy rains.

The project will look confusing and an eye-sore for some time (many parts of the Mumbai coastline have long had a messy look). Then it will look much better. When 80% or more complete, the locals will wonder why wasn't this done 20 or 40 years ago:

philebus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 09:28 PM   #607
avishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by philebus View Post

Every major coastal highway infrastructure project sees this. Study the history of reclamation, feed highways and under-construction pictures of the Kansai airport (Osaka, Japan) and others. During high tides and low tides. Before and after heavy rains.

The project will look confusing and an eye-sore for some time (many parts of the Mumbai coastline have long had a messy look). Then it will look much better. When 80% or more complete, the locals will wonder why wasn't this done 20 or 40 years ago:

Believe me, I know, I am well aware of it...not against the project. However, considering this is India, IF the project gets stopped or delayed or shelved with construction already under way, it is going to look ugly.

I think it is better to get everyone and courts into confidence before going ahead...particularly whatever environmental issues that could be thrown up.
avishar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2019, 02:02 AM   #608
philebus

Likes (Received): 856

That "getting everyone in confidence" and environmental etc review process is now long over. The project wasn't dreamed few months ago. It has already gone through a lot of debate. That video is from 2017. The first Mumbai coastal road proposal along this line came up in the 1960s.

Various versions followed in almost every decade and their impact on public convenience, public spaces such as gardens, beach trails and walkways, effect on accidents, traffic flow, ambulance, fire services, saved lives, pollution, crime, public health, views, property prices, ecology, birds, frogs, plants, shrubs, rocks, environment, fishermen, boats, tides and more has already been through several reviews and versions.

It is time to cooperate, cheer the workers and engineers, offer them a cup of chai if you see them, and encourage them to finish this project.
Old June 16th, 2019, 06:56 AM   #609
Train 18 Superfan

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Believe me, I know, I am well aware of it...not against the project. However, considering this is India, IF the project gets stopped or delayed or shelved with construction already under way, it is going to look ugly.

I think it is better to get everyone and courts into confidence before going ahead...particularly whatever environmental issues that could be thrown up.

If you donít believe in India you can always leave. Donít ever insulted my country
Old June 16th, 2019, 07:12 AM   #610
Rushivyas

Likes (Received): 451

Quote:

"take everyone into confidence"..... That's not possible, because many people who are opposing these kind of infrastructure projects have wasted interests, many of those are political interests, they won't satle for anything, believe me I have wasted so much time in arguing with these kinds of environmentalists and other self proclaimed activitists, when they run out of logical reasoning, they will label you as uneducated and run away like a coward......There are some people with genuine concerns but they are so egoistic that they consider anyone opposing them as illiterates, they are those intellectual (people who are educated beyond their intelligence &#128514 types

So this is nothing but a waste of time...... The only right thing to do is allow a Democratically elected government to do their job for 5 straight years without any interruption (at least in the infrastructure department), and judiciary should also do the same, nobody is above people's mandate

williemore liked this post
Rushivyas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 01:20 AM   #611
williemore

Likes (Received): 93

What happened to the hearing on June 17? No news on it.

Quote:
So this is nothing but a waste of time...... The only right thing to do is allow a Democratically elected government to do their job for 5 straight years without any interruption (at least in the infrastructure department), and judiciary should also do the same, nobody is above people's mandate
We have grown into an country wide epidemic in this age, every person thinks he is smarter than others. The government gets experts too, but no one cares about their opinions.

Last edited by williemore; June 18th, 2019 at 02:30 AM.
williemore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 04:51 PM   #612
Deepak Kadam
deepacman

Someone has filed a pro-Coastal Road plea in the HC.

Mumbaikar files plea supporting Coastal Road (Asian Age)

Bombay HC begins final hearing on pleas opposing coastal road project (The Indian Express)
Quote:
Meanwhile, an intervention application in support of the coastal road project was filed by lawyer Rohini Amin, who travels to South Mumbai from Borivali daily stated that on some days it takes up to three hours to travel the distance and the coastal road project was essential for the city because its public transport system had reached a saturation point.
Commuters move court for coastal road (Loksatta - Marathi)
Deepak Kadam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2019, 11:46 AM   #613
avishar

How the turn tables.
Old June 19th, 2019, 12:02 PM   #614
Darth Reg
Rise to follow the dark

Likes (Received): 2032

Amen. Majority public understands the need of these projects but isn't highlighted by any prestigeous news media. About time those opposers got baambu up their buttholes.
Old June 19th, 2019, 06:41 PM   #615
MumbaikarNRI

Likes (Received): 398

Coastal Road update by D' Fad during question hour

For people who understand Marathi:

williemore, prakot liked this post
MumbaikarNRI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 09:15 AM   #616
krita

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:

The '"coastal road will look ugly" gang should understand that Mumbai is a ugly city with its large slums and haphazard infra development that happened with political support over the years. At least, the coastal road will enhance the quality of Mumbaikar's life by saving time and reducing pollution.
The people who are opposing it should first demolish the ugly apartments (with pencil like structures) that they inhabit, if aesthetics is their prime concern.
The high courts & supreme court are a joke. Instead of clearing the large pile of cases that have accumulated over the years, they are entertaining these jokers who are filing frivolous PILs.
krita no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 07:54 PM   #617
williemore

The opposition is by three different parties, the sunset gang who are partly funding the opposition on fear of losing the serenity, who also fear subsequent development on the reclaimed land, thereby ending all views in the future, the opportunist who take this as an opportunity to further their name and cause (people like AJA architects or look at the sheer number of architects working in the opposition, this is one big advertisement for their businesses) or NGOs, and those politically motivated. Everyone knows this will be known as a politial project showcased for years to come. Its certainly worth acknowledging people who are still motivated to develop infrastructure in this city.
Old June 20th, 2019, 08:02 PM   #618
PrimusUrbisIndis

Likes (Received): 3162

BMC is being run by SS right now, and this seems to be a project fully endorsed by the SS top brass!!! What surprises me is that these guys have so meekly capitulated to the caprice of the obstructionists (both political and opportunistic ones)...I would have expected a wee bit more earnestness on the part of these guys in ensuring that the opposition doesn't gain too much ground...

For once, I wouldn't mind if the SS unleashes its goons on them from time to time, and maybe even breaks a few skulls!!!

Aryaved liked this post
PrimusUrbisIndis está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 08:22 PM   #619
williemore

A guess is this is still being driven by the CMO, but they have let BMC run with the badge (after all SS would seek a trophy). BMC has engaged external management anyways, so there is very little BMC except for funding? We should thank!
Old June 20th, 2019, 08:23 PM   #620
PrimusUrbisIndis

Likes (Received): 3162

AFAIK, CMO hasn't involved itself in this one bit...It is almost entirely being driven by the BMC...
PrimusUrbisIndis está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement