VANCOUVER | Projects & Construction - Page 29 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2019, 09:07 AM   #561
Yellow Fever
A Touch of Grey

Likes (Received): 79947

Trees in large planters are placed every three storeys.

The crown of the tower appears to be illuminated.

Pool deck.

[URL unfurl="true"]https://urbanyvr.com/nelson-in-the-park-tower-2019[/URL]

Old December 5th, 2019, 08:43 AM   #562
Yellow Fever
A Touch of Grey

Coquitlam proposal

29-storey Maillardville tower inspired by logs stored on Fraser River

November 26, 2019 By Peter Meiszner

A development permit application has been presented to Coquitlam city council for a 29-storey tower in the Maillardville neighbourhood.

The development, designed by Wilson Chang Architect for M.L Emporio Properties Ltd., will include 179 market residential units (122 market condominiums, 51 market rental and six below-market rental units).

The developer is proposing to partner with BC Housing as the operator and leaseholder for the below-market rental units, which will be offered at a minimum of 25% below-market rates.

There will be 9,524 sq ft. of commercial space in the podium, and 276 underground parking stalls.

The tower’s design draws inspiration from Maillardville’s economic and cultural heritage with metal panels of varying wood tones layered over a glass facade, evoking the patterns and colours of log storage on the nearby Fraser River.

The façade is inspired by logs on the Fraser River. Credit: Wilson Chang Architect

Renderings of podium. Credit: Wilson Chang Architect

Location of upcoming high-rise development at 901 Lougheed Highway and Blue Mountain Street in Maillardville. Credit: Wilson Chang Architect

https://urbanyvr.com/lougheed-and-blue-mountain-tower

GGJ16, Pedro Mendes, Oatmeal, Victoria123 liked this post
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 09:33 AM   #563
Elkhanan1

Likes (Received): 535

Yeah, I'm not buying the exterior design inspiration. Sounds to me like an empty marketing hook. If they're really going for a "logs floating in the Fraser River" look, they need to cover substantially more of the building in those offset/angled/varied-coloured metal panels.

wakka12, Nouvellecosse liked this post
Elkhanan1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 09:51 AM   #564
urbanflight

Likes (Received): 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post

Pool deck.

Oh that's bummer. Kinda ugly that pool deck.
urbanflight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2019, 04:35 PM   #565
Yellow Fever
A Touch of Grey

I wouldn't say ugly but it does seem not in harmony with the outline and appearance of the tower.
Old December 6th, 2019, 04:38 PM   #566
Yellow Fever
A Touch of Grey

After years of delay, construction begins in downtown parking lot on Vancouver's newest park

Now..

Later

Quote:
Construction is scheduled to begin next month on an elaborate Downtown Vancouver park that includes a public plaza, cafe, raised walkways and a price tag that ballooned to $14 million from its original estimate of $8 million.

The Vancouver park board, which oversaw the design of the park that’s being built on a parking lot at Smithe and Richards streets, is expected to vote on the awarding of the contract to the construction company at its Monday meeting, the final step before construction can begin.

The new park will be divided into three terraces and will include a public plaza with a water feature, small cafe, playground, a community table for programs, seating terraces, plants and overhead “sky-frames” to provide lighting and on which to install public art.

In 2011, it was estimated to cost $8 million, an amount that was to be covered by the community amenity contributions (CACs) paid by the developer of the Telus Gardens condo complex during the rezoning process. CACs are routinely agreed to by developers during rezoning, usually in exchange for increased density.

The Telus Gardens’ developer in 2011 agreed to pay $8 million, which was expected to cover the purchase of the land, demolition of the existing parking lot, park development and construction costs, according to the park board staff report recommending the granting of the tendered contract to Smith Bros. and Wilson....
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...rs-newest-park

Pedro Mendes, GGJ16, FabriFlorence liked this post
Old December 6th, 2019, 10:23 PM   #567
Yellow Fever
A Touch of Grey

More render

Quote:
Imagined as three unique experiences, the park will include a multi-use public plaza with a seasonal water feature, a small cafe at the corner of Smithe and Richards, a playground area, a community table to host various programming, seating terraces for sun lounging, and a variety of plantings. A network of "sky-frames" will also provide shelter, overhead lighting, and support art installations and banners.
https://vancouver.skyrisecities.com/...t-construction

GGJ16 liked this post
Old December 7th, 2019, 06:09 AM   #568
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 397

I actually kind of like the vaginal building. At least up close. From a distance you can only really see the shape rather than the finer details.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2019, 06:18 AM   #569
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhanan1 View Post
Yeah, I'm not buying the exterior design inspiration. Sounds to me like an empty marketing hook. If they're really going for a "logs floating in the Fraser River" look, they need to cover substantially more of the building in those offset/angled/varied-coloured metal panels.
Architects are notorious for inventing fanciful stories to sell their creations, but on the other hand, why would someone stick a bunch of metal panels in varying shares of brown to part of the side of a contemporary highrise that features otherwise unrelated design cues? I mean, it doesn't look good. So there must be some other reason for doing it. When I first saw the rendering I thought, "Oh cool! Another one of those timber highrises, this one with wood paneling on the sides... Both innovative and eco-friendly!" But then when I found out that not only wasn't it a wood building, but that even the siding that resembles wood is actually just metal made to mimic it...

Draw upon elements of the setting as design inspiration, not as a tacky superficial-decoration gimmick.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo

Elkhanan1 liked this post
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 08:21 PM   #570
Yellow Fever
A Touch of Grey

102 East 4th Avenue | 33m | 8s

A 8-storey mixed-use building containing Industrial and Office uses over 5 levels of underground parking providing a total of 394 parking spaces having vehicular access from the lane;
• An approximate height of 107.00 ft.; and
• A Floor Space Ratio of 5.0 FSR (148,918 ft2).

https://vancouver.skyrisecities.com/...artners.29636/

Tags
vancouver