International Ballparks - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2006, 03:42 AM   #21
hngcm

Likes (Received): 27

^ you'd win........hahaha
hngcm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #22
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder
It would be nice if the best USA team toured places like Oz. So we could pit our best against their best. Maybe a 5 test series like in cricket. I reckon we'd win too.

Im sorry but there is absolutely no way you would beat the US. It wouldn't even be close.
Old February 13th, 2006, 06:38 AM   #23
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

^

That sounds like how the Yanks were chirping before EVERYONE whipped them in basketball.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #24
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

The US only sent a fraction of its best players to the Olympics if thats what you're talking about.
Old February 13th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #25
BobDaBuilder

^

More like, they sent the best players they could get. The rest just were not patriotic enough to bother.
Old February 13th, 2006, 06:54 AM   #26
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Ok well it really doesnt matter. If the US had all its top basketball players at the Olympics it likely would've won it quite easily. Actually alot of their top baseball players have declined going to the WBC also.
Old February 13th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #27
40Acres

Likes (Received): 0

I've must have missed the list of aussies in MLB, since they're taking over the sport

Also, olympic basketball is gay. Play with the real rules and maybe we can tap our better players to go play in your little tournament. Its not about patriotism, its about being loyal to your employer and not going out and blowing your achilles on some clumsy Euro.

If we collected, not only our best talent, but a cohesive team, no one would stay within 40. Same with baseball. Like some Aussie puss could swing a wooden bat and even foul off a Clemens fastball. Please.

We would absolutely destroy your team, presumably dubbed with some goofy name like the base-eroos. puke.
40Acres no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #28
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 365

The MLB all-stars play the J-League all-stars each year after the season. I don't know the exact record, but they usually win.

The juiciest thought I had in the Olympics was throwing Barry Bonds into that tournament!!!!!

This will be interesting as far as the tournament goes. This will make the Olympics laughable. The level of pitching alone will simply be light years ahead of olympic play. Not to mention the MLB sluggers that will be playing this time. It will also have these MLB and J-League players while they're at a playing peak pretty early in the season, but late enough to eliminate any early season slumps. Imagine basketball as a winter olympic sport and NBAers were hitting the Olympics at midseason form. Whole different ballgame.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #29
Brent H.

Quote:
^

That sounds like how the Yanks were chirping before EVERYONE whipped them in basketball.
Is baseball a big sport in australia? Are there that many players? Im sure there are some, but the teams which beat us in basketball had NBA or at least NBA quality players on them, also they were playing by their rules that they grew up with in europe, US has different rules and a completely different style of play from international ball. Also poor preparation was at fault, Larry Brown was finishing up with the NBA finals in june then had to get the team together for the olympics in august, not alot of time to build a cohesive team and teach them the fundamentals of international ball. I dont keep up with every baseball player and I am only a casual fan, but when I think of the best non-US baseball players I dont think of aussies (maybe I am mistaken). I know the sport is very popular in Japan and Latin America, and I think those teams could beat us, especially with some of the best MLB players coming from those countries.
Brent H. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #30
kronik

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Acres
Also, olympic basketball is gay. Play with the real rules and maybe we can tap our better players to go play in your little tournament. Its not about patriotism, its about being loyal to your employer and not going out and blowing your achilles on some clumsy Euro.
And what about being loyal to your country?

More than loyalty to the employer, i think its the fear of losing the dolleritos. They don't want to get injured playing for the country because that might get them a gold medal, but if they are hurt, then the millions from their club will go.

I think its a much better state in the NHL, where the teams prepare for the player shortage during the Winter Olympics and Hockey World Cup.

Alright, Australia might be a long shot, but i expect a lot from the islands.
kronik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #31
BobDaBuilder

Cocky Americans I see.

40Acres: International basketball is about teamwork and applying pressure in defense. US "style" basketball is all about show-ponys and individualism. Pretty to watch but ain't terribly effective when you have 3 or 4 7 foot tall Europeans putting up a wall around you and you fail to land all your outside shots. Any wonder the Yanks don't send out their best teams, they are chicken of getting beaten and thus it would downgrade the perception of the almighty NBA. The British soccer teams used to have that attitude until WW2 whem they started getting belted regularly.

What I love about you guys is that you have ready made excuses for when you lose. So and so won't play because he is redecorating his locker or something which is more important than playing in the Olympics or World Champs. Fair enough then, when the USA team gets stuffed that is not our problem either. Your "best" team was whipped. GAME OVER!
Old February 13th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #32
rantanamo

Sorry, dude, but out best would kill anyone. The last time the US fielded a real basketball team was '96. They have never fielded a real baseball team in the olympics.

And yes, the rules for international basketball are teh suck. NBA players from anywhere in the world can tell you that its watered down basketball and eliminates certain aspects of the game. Dirk Nowitski says it all the time. You put those international teams in the NBA and they have a seriously hard time keeping up with how physical and fast the game is. He talks about having to prepare his body for the physical beating and how much more disciplined one must be as if your man beats you, his speed likely makes team recovery impossible without having true zone defense. Want to think otherwise, go ahead. Just know that it is very naive. Perhaps the NBA is about the show, but I'd take a real NBA all-star vs a world all-star team anyday.

Chauncey
Kobe
T-Mac
Shaq
Duncan

Wade, Garnett, Allen, Detroit Wallace's, J. O'neal, James off the bench

I'd take that team all-day, no matter the rules.

Its not about excuses, but you believe what you want to believe. Especially about baseball, when the tiny Dominican Republic is throwing A-Rod in midseason form out there. This tournament should be eye-opening when it comes to baseball. I had passing interest before this post, but now I'm ready. Should be quite shocking and funny to those that think they are good in baseball. This includes Cuba.
Old February 14th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #33
Zorba
Stadium Fan

Likes (Received): 2

Um..... what happened to GILBERT ARENAS!!! Why isn't he on your list? The #4 scorer in the league and he still doesnt get any recognition.
No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.--Nelson Mandela
Zorba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #34
BobDaBuilder

^

Australia utterly pumped the Japan/Asian World Series Champion last night 14 to 2 in baseball.

Pretty good effort considering Oz is putting together its team for this baseball comp.

Baseball is a very simple game and anything can happen on the day.
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #35
40Acres

Quote:

Baseball is a very simple game and anything can happen on the day.

spoken like a person who has NO IDEA the subtleties of nuances of baseball. Baseball is very much a chessmatch of strategy, moreso than any other popular worldwide sport, not to mention the sheer athleticism necessary to perform at the top level. Hitting a baseball remains the most challenging feat in worldwide sport.

Things like, when do you pitch a lefty vs. righty, when to send a batter to an open base with an intentional walk, shifting your defense according to hitter tendencies, not only for the season, but for the current game, specific pitcher vs. specific batter averages, when to play small-ball vs. when to play gorilla-ball, and so on.

Of course i wouldnt expect anyone from an isolated island nation, home of the socceroos (dorks), to understand much about intricacies of anything.
40Acres no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 03:37 AM   #36
Iain1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Acres
spoken like a person who has NO IDEA the subtleties of nuances of baseball. Baseball is very much a chessmatch of strategy, moreso than any other popular worldwide sport, not to mention the sheer athleticism necessary to perform at the top level. Hitting a baseball remains the most challenging feat in worldwide sport.
These Aussie baseball players will have grown up playing cricket which is a far more tactical game than baseball. I like baseball and have been to a few games but the level of tactics simply doesn't compare to cricket. For a start baseball is only played on a 90 degree arc of a field. Cricket is played round 360. Baseball seems to have little variation in fielding positions. A captain in cricket need to constantly set and re-set his fielder depending on his chioce of bowler and the batsman. Look at all these positions (over 30)and rememebr that only nine fielders may cover all places the captain feels are important enough.

We often hear about how 'hitting a 90mph fastball is the hardest thing in sports'. It's not. Facing a top quality spinner is far more difficult.

The top speed of a fast bowler in cricket is about 102mph (Shoaib Akhtar - Pakistan) so the speed of a baseball pitcher, while consistently faster without doubt, are not going to intimidate a decent cricket player. You have far less reaction time because you really can't know where a ball is going to go until after it's bounced.

In fact with 20/20 cricket becoming much more popular worldwide which is much closer to baseball than 5 or 1 day games I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of decent baseball players coming out of cricketing nations.

I like baseball and am looking forward to seeing some great games in this tournament but it is not a tactical game. It's a game of high impact hitting with few risks associated in dismissal for the batter.
Iain1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:32 AM   #37
rantanamo

- There are pitchers who throw over 102 mph.
- 90 mph is fast, but that is pretty average
- You don't know where a pitch is going. Pitches just aren't thrown straight. There are different types of fastballs and different types of pitches.
- Ironically, the slower pitches are hardest to hit: knuckle ball and curve ball.
- The actual hitting surface of a baseball bat is very hard
- Baseball is much more tactical than it looks just sitting there. There is strategy for getting out every single batter as well as how to attack each pitcher. Pitch and hit baseball ends at about age 12.

- Obviously from the last post you know nothing about baseball
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #38
ASupertall4SD

Likes (Received): 5

i watched a cricket game and was both confused and fascinated. looks like a cool sport.

but back to the wbc. petco is a world class venue, and we are still 4 yrs or so from seeing the sightlines utterly transform into an urban heaven. skyscrapers totally and utterly encompassing the stadium. it will be the best stadium in the US bar none, and that is counting pittsburgh.
ASupertall4SD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #39
Iain1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo
- There are pitchers who throw over 102 mph.
- 90 mph is fast, but that is pretty average
- You don't know where a pitch is going. Pitches just aren't thrown straight. There are different types of fastballs and different types of pitches.
- Ironically, the slower pitches are hardest to hit: knuckle ball and curve ball.
- The actual hitting surface of a baseball bat is very hard
- Baseball is much more tactical than it looks just sitting there. There is strategy for getting out every single batter as well as how to attack each pitcher. Pitch and hit baseball ends at about age 12.

- Obviously from the last post you know nothing about baseball
It's much easier to predict the path of a ball that doesn't bounce compared to one that does.
Who pitches at over 102mph? Nolan Ryan holds the record as far as I can tell at 100.9mph. Anecdotal evidence is meaningless because the we get started about Jeff Thompson bowling at 110mph.

The ball is certainly pitched consistently faster in baseball but you don't get the variation that ocurrs. That's why hitting 6's is so much rarer than hitting home runs.
Iain1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 06:33 AM   #40
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Im sure someone has/can throw over 100.9 mph. That is fast but I doubt its any kind of record.
Advertisement

Tags
asia, baseball