MURANGA COUNTY | Development News and Discussion - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > General Kenya

General Kenya For the rest of Kenya

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 29th, 2017, 07:45 PM   #81
felakuti1

Likes (Received): 545

New hotel opens as county eyes tourism circuit, SAGANA, MURANGA

Photo: Located on Murang’a-Sagana road, Nokras Riverine Hotel has 65 rooms, 29 cottages and a conference hall that accommodate 800 people. Photo/WANGARI NJUGUNA

Murang’a county is gearing up to join the Mt Kenya tourism circuit by investing billions of shillings in new hotels and lodges and opening up of tourist attractions.

Until now, most of the county’s attractions remain largely unknown for a county believed to be the cradle of the Kikuyu community, whose tribal father Gikuyu and mother Mumbi first settled at Mukurwe wa Nyagathanga.

The Aberdare National Park and Forest also provides deal sites for mountain climbing, camping, hiking and bird-watching. Murang’a Governor Mwangi wa Iria says they are consulting with the Kenya Tourism Board to have Murang’a included in the Mt Kenya tourism circuit as the county has so many tourist sites.

One of the challenges to grow tourism has been lack of hotels to act as launching pads for adventures into the forests and hiking sites in the upper parts of the county.

“There has been a huge gap in the hospitality sector in the county despite the area registering growth due to the effects of devolution,” says a renowned businessman Simon Wachira, also known as Maguna Andu.

Wachira is the owner of Nokras Riverine Hotel, the latest hotel to open in the county. Located between Sagana and Murang’a towns, Nokras is strategically positioned to net travellers using the Kenol–Murang’a-Sagana route.

READ MORE ON PD

donddon, batuzpisces, SE9 liked this post
felakuti1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2017, 08:46 PM   #82
felakuti1

Murang'a real-estate proprietors smiling as demand for office space, residential houses rises

Old December 25th, 2017, 05:43 PM   #83
sleekpiano

Likes (Received): 1533

very impressed by progress in this county. The towns I passed had street lights, new roads, factories sprouting up, the small towns seems to be vibrant with trade and commerce and sizaeble populations, and I here property prices steadily rising up.

Also very good case in dualling kenol - Murang’a.
sleekpiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 25th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #84
royco mchuzi

Likes (Received): 1623

Hope we can stop this urban sprawl. Plan better for dense cities/ homes and save our agricultural land and natural habitats like kajiado kitengela areas. This is not sustainable.

Adm.Adama, felakuti1 liked this post
royco mchuzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 11:25 AM   #85
sleekpiano

The government has started converting Kenol-Murang’a-Sagana road into a dual carriageway.

The Kenya National Highways Authority has started designing the highway.

Kenha has hired a private company to design the 41km stretch passin through Murang’a town from Kenol town to Sagana town.

https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2017...geway_c1687856
Old December 28th, 2017, 02:16 PM   #86
ColloWa Ajabu

Likes (Received): 98

How i wish they did the dual carriageway for Nairobi/Rironi to Naivasha.I recently used the road and its really congested i never enjoyed the drive.I also wonder why those guys close to the road with tiny houses don't see it fit to sell the valuable land and move to better priced land for their own land expansion.
Old March 1st, 2018, 08:18 AM   #87
sleekpiano

Nokras Hotel, Murang'a

Old March 1st, 2018, 06:28 PM   #88
Kenyan_yungin
💪 👊 ✊ ⚔ 😂

Likes (Received): 22317

Love it! especially the pool area, what are the rates?
Kenyan_yungin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2018, 06:13 AM   #89
Amboseli Daima

Likes (Received): 875

Loool for a split second I had misread it as "no class hotel".

Nice and classy but actually it might be a better business approach to change the name given that this is kikuyu country where they have a known habit of mispronouncing "Rs" and "L's .The tourists might avoid it for that alone.

njenga kenya liked this post
Amboseli Daima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2018, 07:07 PM   #90
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 3255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amboseli Daima View Post
Loool for a split second I had misread it as "no class hotel".

Nice and classy but actually it might be a better business approach to change the name given that this is kikuyu country where they have a known habit of mispronouncing "Rs" and "L's .The tourists might avoid it for that alone.
In central Kenya, business names are derived from putting initials and letters of the business owners names together in random fashion.

andegwa, constructionist liked this post
Kenguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2018, 12:50 AM   #91
Mami-wota
Mkenya daima

Likes (Received): 1402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenguy View Post
In central Kenya, business names are derived from putting initials and letters of the business owners names together in random fashion.
hehehe... so sotrue... that's the weakness of my peeps.. Husband and Wife names coined in a certain way... but sometimes this has also produced some awesome iconic names.. Like Samchi, Suraya ,Petans , Sagret , Gretsa, Chester etc..

*********254*********

Kenguy, felakuti1 liked this post
Mami-wota no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2018, 04:22 AM   #92
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 9074

The Avocado Revolution happening in Murang'a has made Kenya Africa's top exporter of the crop. Would like to see more regions pick up the trend.

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC
Adm.Adama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2018, 02:12 PM   #93
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 3255

They just had to use "Halls"...Muranga's colonial name. Kenyans are anglophiles to the core!

felakuti1, brian the real story liked this post
Kenguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2018, 05:57 PM   #94
andegwa

Likes (Received): 5005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Adama View Post
The Avocado Revolution happening in Murang'a has made Kenya Africa's top exporter of the crop. Would like to see more regions pick up the trend.

Middle men are really the death of most of Kenya's industries. To think, the county govt initiative has raised the priced per fruit from Kshs. 1, all the way to between 19 and 36 depending on the quality. Somewhere a few people were busy profiting on the fruits (pun intended!!!!) of peoples' labor

Adm.Adama liked this post
andegwa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2018, 01:31 AM   #95
royco mchuzi

Now what we need is an avocado factory to process and make avocado products like Guacamole. Must have read it somewhere on SCC or Newspapers comments, people complaining that farmers losing due to high fruit rejection rate. The Avos that don't look good enough for export can make guacamole(for export) and the really bad ones can be used in the cosmetic industry! But lets have the farmer make bulk of the $$.

Makueni is leading the way with Mangoes. If we were really serious mangoes can rake in 100B, Avos another 100B, Increase the flower and french beans out put/markets

Meru , Embu and coast should really get their act together! We have laws//Mpigs and cartels stopping the farmers from selling their macadamia to Chinese who are offering more than double the prices. Instead of encouraging these traders/ facilitate them to open local industries, we arrest the Chinese! Macadamia, Cashews, Cocunuts, Pistashios can easily rake in hundred of billions if the vast coastal lands are put into good use!

And lets not forget the traditional money makers like coffee and tea
Old August 21st, 2018, 06:17 PM   #96
Trixx

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by royco mchuzi View Post
Now what we need is an avocado factory to process and make avocado products like Guacamole. Must have read it somewhere on SCC or Newspapers comments, people complaining that farmers losing due to high fruit rejection rate. The Avos that don't look good enough for export can make guacamole(for export) and the really bad ones can be used in the cosmetic industry! But lets have the farmer make bulk of the $$.
I can't imagine guacamole having a long shelf life. I'd suggest making avocado oil for cooking instead. That stuff is pricey where I am.

felakuti1 liked this post
Trixx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 01:30 AM   #97
royco mchuzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixx View Post
I can't imagine guacamole having a long shelf life. I'd suggest making avocado oil for cooking instead. That stuff is pricey where I am.
Guacamole has a shelf life of about 1.5months if well packed/processed and refrigerated and longer if it's the frozen type. Avo oil is a good product too..makodofia potential is crazy. We waste more than 60% of most fruits and vegetables since we don't process much! Agro processing in kenya is nearly non- existent. This is where we should put all our money in, when it comes to food security and industry.

I talk a lot about coconuts, cashews, macadamia and pistachios(i haven't seen this in KE but sure it can grow well), coz i believe this is the most neglected sector. With the vast lands underused land at the coast, nuts can totally turn around the economy and lives of coasterians. Roated Cashews /pistachios go for about $12/lb lets round it to about Ksh2000/kg. If farmers can own some of these cooperatives/factories, means that they can easily pocket around 800-1000/kg at the end of it all according to my voodoo math
Old August 25th, 2018, 01:02 AM   #98
felakuti1

Guacamole (which is best eaten fresh) is just one of the ways to eat Avocados -- Though, I think avocado oil is the obvious option for a value addition for avocados in Kenya -- for local and export markets

FYI
23 Delicious Ways to Eat an Avocado LINK (in the west)

Last edited by felakuti1; August 25th, 2018 at 01:16 AM.
felakuti1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2018, 10:52 AM   #99
KenyaMerican
#AfricaRising

Likes (Received): 834

Makodofia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Adama View Post

Makes me want to run to plant macodofia on my scrubland right this minute. #Inspired.

felakuti1 liked this post
KenyaMerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2018, 07:45 AM   #100
Dhuks

Likes (Received): 3147

I am not from Muranga but i support the zeal by its governor to ensure that his county gets a share of revenue from water sold in Nairobi. Equal application of rules since Turkana equally stands to benefit from its oil. In the same line of thought i believe Embu should benefit from the hydro power it sells to the nation.
Advertisement

Tags
africa, county, development, discussion, kenya, kisumu, projects, wailaya