Stadiums and sports infrastructure - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > General Kenya

General Kenya For the rest of Kenya

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #1
africanman

Likes (Received): 1

Stadiums and sports infrastructure

I like the changes I have seen in Kenya but I am wondering what the Provincial and State governments are doing to improve the state of our stadiums and sports facilities in general.
It is sad that we only have Nyayo stadium and Kasarani to host international soccer. Nyayo in Nairobi and Kasarani just about a half hour from the CBD.
Does anyone know if there are plans to upgrade Kisumu, Mombasa and Nakuru stadiums especially with the fact that we are bidding for the 2016 Nations Cup?
africanman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 1021

Well, I have always wanted to renovate the Kasarani Stadium and build a new stadium for Mombasa. The Nyayo National Stadium is not much of a good stadium. And I remember a proposal for a 40k capacity stadium for Eldoret.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #3
africanman

Likes (Received): 1

Hosting events

I know Kenya wants to bid for the 2012/2016 Nations Cup but realistically we can not hold any major events because we have completely neglected sport infrustructure.
Nakuru, Kisumu, Mombasa and Eldoret should have quality stadiums. Nairobi does have good stadiums but they are not well kept. This is an issue that should be addressed.
africanman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 25th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #4
desert burner
real gooner

Likes (Received): 48

Kasarani revamp to cost China Sh1bn, work starts soon

Close to Sh1 billion is what it will cost the Chinese government to rehabilitate and maintain the Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani.

Making the ground-breaking announcement, Youth and Sports minister Hellen Sambili told the government and people of China that their collaboration in the development of sports facilities in the country was appreciated.

“It gives me much pleasure to announce that Shengli Engineering Construction Limited shall immediately undertake a maintenance project for Kasarani,” said the minister.

The project, scheduled to take one year, will cost Sh964 million and is financed through a grant-in-aid from China.

“As the Government of Kenya strives to improve sports facilities through direct funding or through partnerships such as the one we have witnessed, Kenyans are asked to lay more emphasis on developing their talent,” Sambili added.
Lack of sports tourism

The minister also raised concern over lack of sports tourism in the country, especially in the run-up to the 2010 Fifa World Cup in South Africa. She challenged the concerned sectors to take advantage of the provision of good sports facilities to promote sports tourism.

“I’m making this appeal because we haven’t fully exploited the business opportunities that come with sports tourism,” said Sambili. “The Cameroon national football team has booked Kasarani between January 6 and 11. El Mereikh club from Sudan will also use the facility from January 13 to February 8.”

The contract entails, among others, maintenance of the main stadium, including the tartan track, the scoreboard and fitting of 60,000 seats. It will also include the aquatic stadium and the athletes’ hostel.

“Since the Chinese built Kasarani in 1987, Kenya has hosted numerous international sports and recreational events,” she said. “This has not only brought glory to Kenya but also encouraged Kenyans to participate in sports activities locally and abroad.”
http://www.nation.co.ke/sports/-/109...z/-/index.html
desert burner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #5
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 1021

Kasarani Stadium is getting a much-needed rehabilitation. Does this mean the entire spectators area will be covered in seating?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #6
musir

Likes (Received): 222

Ha Ha Ha....

I love 2 laf at all this......

Kenya iz big but emphasis is always directed to Nairobi......

Now, when funds r there 2 uplift a sports facility... it will be "carpet CITY STADIUM...."

when other funds arrive 4 the same.... it will be "uplift KASARANI"

a sponsor wants 2 upgrade... it will be NYAYO STADIUM......

they careless abt MOMBASA STADIUM/KISUMU/NAKURU/ELDORET etc.

2 them, all what iz gud, belongs 2 NAIROBI....

we hate this trend... we need to c other cities in Kenya inspire pride in us..... this can be achieved by promoting infrustructure in those towns.... I guess its a known fact that am repeating......

gava do smthing pls to spur growth of other KENYAN CITIES
musir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #7
ernestombayo7
Veteran

Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by musir View Post
Ha Ha Ha....

I love 2 laf at all this......

Kenya iz big but emphasis is always directed to Nairobi......

Now, when funds r there 2 uplift a sports facility... it will be "carpet CITY STADIUM...."

when other funds arrive 4 the same.... it will be "uplift KASARANI"

a sponsor wants 2 upgrade... it will be NYAYO STADIUM......

they careless abt MOMBASA STADIUM/KISUMU/NAKURU/ELDORET etc.

2 them, all what iz gud, belongs 2 NAIROBI....

we hate this trend... we need to c other cities in Kenya inspire pride in us..... this can be achieved by promoting infrustructure in those towns.... I guess its a known fact that am repeating......

gava do smthing pls to spur growth of other KENYAN CITIES
I agree.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:12 PM   #8
kijana

Location: nairobi, saitama, twin cities (miineapolis & saint paul, MN)
Likes (Received): 128

Kasarani stadium/ Moi intl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aqEWqVxG2U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l58Pn...eature=related

Nairobi city stadium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks5rZyJ3aJg

as far as kasarani goes, i know its under renovation, but it seems to be slow and as far as other stadiums we'll see..........

Last edited by kijana; December 22nd, 2010 at 06:24 PM.
kijana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:53 PM   #9
kijana

Kenya: 'Wembley' Comes to Nyeri

Joseph Kanyi

4 November 2010

Nairobi — Amid a public outcry over negligence and poor management of the nation's sports facilities, Keini West District is set to get a new stadium.

A six-member Athletics Kenya team last week toured the site of the proposed Mweiga Stadium on invitation by the local Member of Parliament, Nemesius Warugongo.

Derelict Ruring'u

The proposed stadium, which Warugongo nicknamed Mweiga Wembley Stadium, will be a welcome development especially after AK abandoned the derelict Ruring'u Stadium, 17km away in Nyeri, and moved the weekend track meeting from there to Narok.

Warugongo said: "I love the UK's Wembley Stadium and it is my dream this will become as magnificent in terms of impact and sporting activities."

The meeting gave technical advice to the contractor, who is on site, to ensure the facility in the town centre of the Kieni West

District headquarters, along the Nyeri-Nyahururu highway, meets standards. The facility is seen as an alternative training venue for athletes, especially long distance runners.

With a football pitch, a dais, several volleyball courts and facilities for field events, Mweiga Stadium will be the only one big enough for track and field events and speed work training in Nyeri County.

"We are glad the initiative is coming from a local leader who seems to understand the needs of youths," said Nyeri AK sub-branch chairman Mutahi Kahiga.
Old March 14th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #10
kijana

Old March 14th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #11
kijana

With the growing popularity of KPL and its fan base, its bound to pressure the gov't more to have proper facilities.. i think they should do something close to what the west does, where there is a joint agreement on facility construction, maintenance and management...
what do you guys think???
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:49 AM   #12
Paul Gwe

Likes (Received): 46

Speaking of stadiums, what happened to Kasarani, wasn't it supposed to be ready by December last year, any word on that?
Paul Gwe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #13
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 9082

Can't wait to see the renders

Quote:
Uasin Gishu County government has secured a Sh2 billion loan from a Chinese bank to construct a state of the art stadium and undertake a facelift of the two existing ones within Eldoret town.

This is aimed at providing top of the range sporting facilities to help athletes during training.

Uasin Gishu governor Jackson Mandago revealed that representatives of Exim Bank will be in the country next month to conduct feasibility studies on Kipchoge Keino and 64 stadiums, with construction works slated to start in December.

The governor regretted that Uasin Gishu was regarded as the home of champions yet many athletes who have put the country in the world map were not getting access to good training facilities.

“The funds will be used in upgrading the two stadiums that are currently in a deplorable state. As a sporting county in the country we need to have state of the art facilities within the disposal of our sportsmen to allow them train well,” said Mr Mandago.

The governor said that in line with the government’s manifesto to have at least one fully furnished stadium that can hold continental championship in every county, Uasin Gishu would be the first to achieve that thanks to the funding.

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/C...z/-/index.html

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC
Adm.Adama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #14
abckris

Likes (Received): 2356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Adama View Post
Can't wait to see the renders
What can Sh. 2bn do for more than one stadium? Stadium construction is capital intensive. I'd not expect much in terms of physical change. Of course it will be better than nothing but to anticipate "revolution" is to overplay it. Just being pessimistic but more with reason.
abckris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #15
Dhuks

Likes (Received): 3148

Now that we are in 2015, what was accomplished by the Eldoret project? How is Kinoru progressing?
Old May 22nd, 2015, 06:17 AM   #16
Adm.Adama

Finally this stadium is nearing completion.

You can also see the Moi Towers rising in the background.

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC

jeremyt, african liked this post
Old June 24th, 2015, 03:02 AM   #17
african
thenairobidude

Likes (Received): 6624

Sports Kenya identifies the exact location of three new stadia

NTV Kenya | 23 June 2015

That's the first time I've heard a government body/agency saying they were allocated enough money

The new stadiums are to be located at
  • Ngong Rd, Nairobi (Rubgy Stadium)
  • Shimo La Tewa, Mombasa (3* Hotel and Residential Area)
  • New Stadium Eldoret, Uasin Gishu (partnership with Moi Uni., Museum and Sports medical centre)

Other
  • The stadium in Eldoret isn't an upgrade of the Kipchoge Keino Stadium.
  • Upgrade of 7 existing stadiums

Budget
  • KES. 1.8 Billion (US$ 18.2 million)

Kenyan_yungin liked this post
african no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 03:28 AM   #18
Adm.Adama

They don't have enough money 1.8B is going to go into consultancy and designs for the stadiums. This entire project is going to cost 10B. I hear the rest of the funds will be sourced from the private sector.

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC
Old June 24th, 2015, 07:16 AM   #19
abckris

Likes (Received): 2356

That's planning to fail! I'm not sure which private sector player will sink money in sports infrastructure where regulation is not so well done. Either the government builds good quality stadia or we just forget about having them altogether.

royco mchuzi liked this post
abckris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 10:52 AM   #20
jeremyt

Likes (Received): 3148

Happy about the RFUEA upgrade..long overdue
jeremyt está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement