[PL] Poland | road infrastructure • infrastruktura drogowa - Page 914 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2019, 08:55 PM   #18261
Kirt93

Likes (Received): 350

Glad you enjoyed your trip It's for the continuation of S74. Right now old DK74 goes across the cloverleaf, but when S74 is built then its western part will go from this constructed-but-not-operational southern intersection as opposed to following the old road's route. So there'll be a short concurrency of S7 and S74. You can see more details on this map http://ssc.siskom.waw.pl/eng.html which is more detailed than the GDDKiA one.
Kirt93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2019, 09:06 PM   #18262
Kemo

Likes (Received): 30774

This is actually for S74

Kemo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2019, 09:46 PM   #18263
aswnl

Likes (Received): 88

OK, Thnx

SeanT liked this post
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2019, 10:18 PM   #18264
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 3951

Fun Fact. According to the wikipedia Italy has around 60m people and 6500km of motorway roads.

Poland will pass Italy out around late 2020 for km of motorway per person when it finally reaches around 4300km opened. However Poland is larger than Italy (just) so it will still take many many years before it ever passes Italy out for motorway density per sq km.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2019, 10:26 PM   #18265
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 3380

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Fun Fact. According to the wikipedia Italy has around 60m people and 6500km of motorway roads.

Poland will pass Italy out around late 2020 for km of motorway per person when it finally reaches around 4300km opened. However Poland is larger than Italy (just) so it will still take many many years before it ever passes Italy out for motorway density per sq km.
No doubt it will happen sooner or later.
Italy's territory is 34% mountain, so not much space for motorways.
Poland's basically a neverending plain...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2019, 10:39 PM   #18266
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 25959

Italy's motorway & expressway count is closer to 10,100 kilometers.

travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2019, 11:30 PM   #18267
sponge_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Italy's motorway & expressway count is closer to 10,100 kilometers.
Their SS Superstrade expressways are generally not the same at all as Polish S roads ...no hard shoulder for starters 2+1 sections, etc. Italian expressways are no advertisement for the road type.

In addition a lot of the Italian A motorways are very old and very narrow themselves and not built to the same standard as a Polish S Road. Mountains are no help. of course.

g.spinoza, borkosiu liked this post
Old August 24th, 2019, 02:23 PM   #18268
Kemo

Well, you can't really compare a network mostly built 30-50 years ago (Italy) with a "network" built in the last ~15 years (Poland). Of course there will be differences in standard. Polish roads built a long time ago are also substandard, like S6 in Tricity.

It is still better to have those extra 4000 km superstrade.
Poland has these roads too, except they are not signed in any particular fashion. There are not many such sections though, mostly some bypasses of towns.

For MichiH's statistics:

S6: Nowogard-East – north of Ploty-North 20.3km (March 2017 to November 2019)

S6: Nowogard-East - Lisowo 12.0km (March 2017 to November 2019) – projectmap

S6: Lisowo - north of Ploty-North 8.3km (March 2017 to 22nd August 2019) [1st c/w] – projectmap

Last edited by Kemo; August 24th, 2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old August 25th, 2019, 09:24 AM   #18269
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2941

DEL (I asked about S6 opening before realiziing that Kemo has edited his last post)

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AL, AND, B, BG, BIH, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, GR, H, HR, I, IRL, L, LV, LT, M, MC, N, NL, NMK, P, PL, RO, RSM, S, SK, SLO, USA, V (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 07:23 PM   #18270
Nowax
Nowa Huta

Likes (Received): 2204

[S7] Skarżysko-Kamienna Bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by luznykolo View Post
Nowax está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 09:55 PM   #18271
celevac

Likes (Received): 132

Hi everyone, just want to say thank you again for your advice on my trip last Sunday through Poland. I went Vienna - Brno - Ostrava - Katowice - Czestochowa - Warszawa - Zambrow - Lomza - Suwalki - Kaunas. Driving on Polish motorways was really a special experience and I must say they are among the very best in all of Europe.

Entering on A1 from Czech Republic, the road was so much fun to drive, 3 broad lanes, 140kph speed, all in great shape. The new stretch of A1 up to Czestochowa is amazing, the modern parking areas and all that are really good. Then, I do have to be honest, the endless construction site to Piotrkow Trybunalski was a nightmare with traffic jams, but I soon forgot about it when I got onto S8 towards Warszawa, then could not believe how amazing those white tunnels in Warszawa on S8 were, with the sun slowly setting - any photographer would have loved this!

S8 was fun to drive, but why on earth would you set constant 60 kph limits on a perfect motorway... I think that was shortly before coming to Warszawa.

Then further north-east, things went on smoothly until Zambrow exit. The rural roads via Lomza to Augustow were not really that much fun to drive on at dusk, busy and partly in bad shape.

Overall, a very nice experience in Poland and will be glad to come back for some more exploration and not just transit.
Old August 28th, 2019, 10:25 AM   #18272
Kemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by celevac View Post

Entering on A1 from Czech Republic, the road was so much fun to drive, 3 broad lanes, 140kph speed, all in great shape.
Except for these two bumpy sections where you really need to slow down if you don't want to fly

Quote:
S8 was fun to drive, but why on earth would you set constant 60 kph limits on a perfect motorway... I think that was shortly before coming to Warszawa.
Because it is formally not finished yet. Yes, that is ridiculous. But anyway, these limits are commonly ignored without any consequences.
Old August 28th, 2019, 10:45 AM   #18273
Kirt93

Likes (Received): 350

Great, thanks for sharing! It's always nice to hear a bit about how the foreigners perceive them when they come. Surely 15 years ago nobody would consider it such a pleasant experience

Quote:
Well, welcome to Poland, where regulations win over common sense. This fragment is still formally speaking a construction site, so someone decided to put speed limits there as would be applicable to a construction site. And that this "construction site" is indistinguishable from a brand new expressway where the limit would be 120 (or at least 100, as is common in other cases when the highway is opened but some side-works still being done so it can't yet be classified as an expressway), well... Obviously, nobody cares about obeying this limit.

Quote:
The rural roads via Lomza to Augustow were not really that much fun to drive on at dusk, busy and partly in bad shape.
Yeah, not the most fun - they're working on it, though. Seems like 4 years from now, one will be able to follow the route which you did driving only the motorways/expressways all the way from border to border

celevac liked this post

Last edited by Kirt93; August 28th, 2019 at 11:43 AM.
Kirt93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2019, 01:15 PM   #18274
Kemo

The western part of Białystok's ringroad was opened today.
The section is 6.3 km long. Construction took 33 months.

Map: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/53.1200/23.0909

Quote:
Originally Posted by svir

Old August 28th, 2019, 01:32 PM   #18275
Kemo

Works on the "provisional eastern bypass of Warsaw" (DW631) have been finished and this weekend the road will be fully opened.

This section has been upgraded to a 2x2 grade-separated road.
Additionally, an overpass has been built over this intersection, but only in one direction (due to problems with expropriation). Construction of the second carriageway of the overpass is planned to begin in 2020/2021.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco10

Old August 28th, 2019, 01:37 PM   #18276
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirt93 View Post
Great, thanks for sharing! It's always nice to hear a bit about how the foreigners perceive them when they come. Surely 15 years ago nobody would consider it such a pleasant experience
15 years ago Lithuanians used to mention how horrible roads in Poland were after every visit. The roads used to be extremely bad, I remember them well as I used to drive on them myself. Now that most Polish expressways are better than Lithuanian motorways, people can't shut up about how good the Polish roads are and how many new ones have been built .

The new Polish roads have also been a huge reason why Poland's image has improved so much here I think. Whenever there's any talk about road construction/reconstruction in Lithuania, you'll see Poland mentioned in the comments as the example of how to do things properly. It is fairly common to see comments that say that the Poles would've done a better job for the same money, etc. (and they are probably right ).

This also affects other areas - for example, Poland used to not care about Rail Baltica project too much and Lithuania was ahead with the work. Recently, the Poles have announced a list of projects they'll be completing until 2027 that is quite impressive. It is now a popular opinion among rail enthusiasts that 'if the Poles said it they'll probably do it' and many think (often by default) that the Poles will leave us behind . This good image comes entirely from road construction I believe.
Old August 28th, 2019, 09:12 PM   #18277
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 213

Białystok now has a fully complete inner ring road

wojtekbp liked this post

Last edited by Chris80678; August 28th, 2019 at 09:57 PM.
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2019, 09:53 PM   #18278
Jakub Warszauer

Likes (Received): 891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris80678 View Post
Białystok now has a fully complete outer ring road
You mean innner? S19 & DK65 shall be the very-outer ring road.
Jakub Warszauer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2019, 09:55 PM   #18279
sponge_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetz View Post
This also affects other areas - for example, Poland used to not care about Rail Baltica project too much and Lithuania was ahead with the work. Recently, the Poles have announced a list of projects they'll be completing until 2027 that is quite impressive. It is now a popular opinion among rail enthusiasts that 'if the Poles said it they'll probably do it' and many think (often by default) that the Poles will leave us behind . This good image comes entirely from road construction I believe.
We shall see, the Balts, alone, are committed to a €6bn spend on Rail Baltica over the next 6 years, €1bn a year across all 3 countries.

You could build a lot of high quality roads for that because you are talking near €100m a km for this high speed rail project whereas you could build a motorway all the way from Talinn to Kaunas for nearer €10m a km.

I am not sure how much of this will ever come from Brussels and neither, it seems, is Brussels itself. I'd hazard they might pay for half, in the end, but the Balts cannot really formulate any roads budget until they are sure where the money will come from. There is nothing in the world as expensive as a half finished high speed rail line!!!!

Having then built Rail Baltica, I have no idea what is then planned between the LT border and Warsaw....to connect this expensive system to the European backbone standard guage network.

There are slower legacy lines there, of course, but can they cope and will it cost Poland some billions of euros to build a new higher speed line??
Old August 29th, 2019, 08:42 AM   #18280
Wover

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
We shall see, the Balts, alone, are committed to a €6bn spend on Rail Baltica over the next 6 years, €1bn a year across all 3 countries.

You could build a lot of high quality roads for that because you are talking near €100m a km for this high speed rail project whereas you could build a motorway all the way from Talinn to Kaunas for nearer €10m a km.

I am not sure how much of this will ever come from Brussels and neither, it seems, is Brussels itself. I'd hazard they might pay for half, in the end, but the Balts cannot really formulate any roads budget until they are sure where the money will come from. There is nothing in the world as expensive as a half finished high speed rail line!!!!

Having then built Rail Baltica, I have no idea what is then planned between the LT border and Warsaw....to connect this expensive system to the European backbone standard guage network.

There are slower legacy lines there, of course, but can they cope and will it cost Poland some billions of euros to build a new higher speed line??
There are other topics about this, but in short, Europe has agreed to pay something like 85% of the costs, and Poland has agreed to upgrade / built the line between LT border and Warsaw to a speed of at least 160kph.

Kirt93 liked this post
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road