The A1 and A1(M) - Dualling North of Newcastle & "Completing the Motorway" from the South, plus Western Bypass sections, etc - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old August 5th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #81
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2006

Bid to win A1 funds stepping up a gear
August 5th 2010, by Adrian Pearson, The Journal

MINISTERS have revealed the North East now has three weeks to put together a case for the £400m dualling of the A1.

The Conservatives say they have fulfilled a pre-election pledge to make the route a national priority and are now asking for evidence to show how high up the funding queue the road should be.

Campaigners, businesses and transport groups are now hurriedly putting together the sort of detailed information needed to convince Whitehall that the economic benefits of dualling the route outweigh the costs.

But the bill for fully dualling the A1 is likely to be more than £400m, and campaigners know there is very little money available in Government coffers.

They will make the case on safety and economic grounds, and are asking motorists who use the A1 North of Morpeth to fill in an online survey ahead of the evidence submission.

Business groups say they will be urging the consultants hired to look into the road to change current haulage restrictions which they say means the A1 has many 40mph speed limits.

Anne Marie Trevelyan, a Berwick Conservative, has launched the online survey to gather as much support for the economic argument as possible.

“There has been an obvious lack of commitment to this over the years from Government so the Highways Agency and Northumberland County Council maybe do not have all the evidence ready at hand for this, so we have had to step it up a gear,” she said.

“The Dual The A1 campaign has had a huge amount of support, but what we have not done before is to properly and fully 'document' that. So the survey is to gather from within the region and in Scotland the basic data. Anyone who has a view on this, how it effects their travel behaviour or their profit line etc, can take part.”

In September ministers and civil servants will begin deciding which national strategic routes, including the A1, will be handed money from a now severely limited central fund.

FULL (TWO PAGE) ARTICLE HERE - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-26999977/

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; August 5th, 2010 at 11:20 AM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #82
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 773

That is very good news. I think I'll make a few calls to some people in the haulage industry to see if I can get them to give an input.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #83
Tyr
King of Bernicia

Likes (Received): 28

Well we don't need the whole A1 dualled. Just to dual a bit more of it will be more progress than has been made for a while. They shouldn't stop and not do anything just because they can't afford to do it all.
Tyr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #84
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Motorists urged to take part in A1 survey
August 12th 2010, by Adrian Pearson, The Journal

MOTORISTS have been urged to set out their views on A1 upgrades before a campaign group's survey closes this weekend.

Campaigners looking to dual the road north of Morpeth have set up a website as they seek to put pressure on Government spending chiefs.

More than £400m needs to be spent on the route to see it dualled. In the build-up to the General Election the Conservatives promised to move the road out of a smaller regional funding pot and make it a one of national strategic importance.

After acting on that pledge earlier this month the Department of Transport started a three-week consultation to see how high up a list of nationally-funded projects the A1 should be.

That prompted campaigners in Northumberland to set up a website urging drivers to have their say on the need for an upgrade.

Anne Marie Trevelyan, a Berwick Conservative, launched the online survey to gather as much support for the economic argument as possible. So far more than 700 people have had their say.

Ms Trevelyan said: “We have until the weekend to provide as much evidence as to why the dualling of the A1 would help your business, your chances of getting a job, your chances of expanding your tourism business. Whatever the reason, tell us about it.

FULL ARTICLE HERE - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-27046062/
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #85
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

A1 dossier makes case for dualling in Northumberland
August 16th 2010, by Adrian Pearson, The Journal

CAMPAIGNERS looking to dual the A1 as it passes through Northumberland have handed a dossier to Government transport bosses.

Nearly 1,000 motorists and businesses took part in an online survey set up by Berwick Conservative Anne-Marie Trevelyan after the Government fulfilled an election promise to make the road a route of national importance.

Efforts to dual the A1 north of Morpeth, which would cost around £400m, have repeatedly stalled as previous Governments insisted that the cash had to come from limited regional funds.

Now Conservative Transport Secretary Philip Hammond has moved the A1 into the national strategic road network, meaning it has access, potentially, to millions of pounds more in funding.

But the move also puts the case for the A1 up against road projects across the country whose backers are bidding for cash from a limited pot.

As a three-week call for evidence comes to an end, Ms Trevelyan says the views gathered from 971 motorists and organisations will go alongside business and council submissions to make the best possible case for dualling.

As well as evidence from her online survey, the campaigner has also handed over a letter from Northumbria Police supporting the need for road improvements.

She said: “We have given the consultants the views gathered over three years of campaigning.

The Institution of Civil Engineers has warned the region may have to accept staggered improvements to the A1 as part of a regional plan.

TWO PAGE ARTICLE HERE - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-27068905/
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #86
leauk
Ashington born and bred.

Likes (Received): 8

I've got everything crossed.
leauk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #87
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Politician warned not to grant A1 meeting
August 30th 2010, by William Green, The Journal

TRANSPORT Secretary Philip Hammond avoided meeting a campaigner fighting for the A1 to be fully dualled after an official warned it would raise expectations of something happening.

Berwick Conservative Anne Marie Trevelyan requested a 20-minute meeting with the Secretary of State or Minister of State Theresa Villiers in May, soon after the Tories and Liberal Democrats agreed a coalition Government.

In an email sent to the two ministers on May 13, Mrs Trevelyan said she wanted to discuss how to take forward the campaign to upgrade the A1 all the way through Northumberland.

She also referred to a Conservative Party election pledge to reclassify the importance of the road.

Campaigners hope reclassifying the road from regional to national importance will open up access to more funding to fully dual the A1, which could cost more than £400m.

But Fiona Wilson, head of strategic roads at the Department for Transport, cautioned against a meeting with Mrs Trevelyan in official advice to ministers, which The Journal has obtained using the Freedom of Information law.

Mrs Trevelyan’s name is blanked out, but the document said: “A minister meeting XXXXX at this time may raise expectations on dualling the A1.

FULL ( TWO PAGE ) ARTICLE HERE - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-27163036/
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #88
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 62

It was at a standstill in places today - no accident, no roadworks, just pressure of traffic at dual-single carriageway pinch points. A road totally unfit for intended use.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 12:49 AM   #89
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
It was at a standstill in places today - no accident, no roadworks, just pressure of traffic at dual-single carriageway pinch points. A road totally unfit for intended use.
It happens every summer bank holiday, and lots of weekends too (I've been stuck in it so very very often). The trouble is, what is its "intended use"?. It works rather well as it is most of the time. Sure there are single-occupied cars who always want to be ahead (and 8 miles at 40-60mph is just unbearable for them) but it does work for the diverse range of its users . . . most of the time. Unlike the A38 in Cornwall which really was inoperative for much of the summer, the A1 in Northumberland only fails us for a few, usually easily predictable, days each year.

Unless:- (from today. I bet you're glad you missed this one!)
Quote:
A1 Belford
both ways between Cragmill Road and B6349
30th August 2010 at 23:19, ending: 31st August 2010
A1 Northumberland

-
A1 in Belford closed in both directions between the Cragmill Road junction and the B6349 junction, because of a multi-vehicle accident. Diversion in operation - follow the black solid square symbols.
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 01:00 AM   #90
WilfBurnsFan

I am glad, DX... and wasn't in that area (the delays were on the Alnwick-Morpeth stretch). But I would argue that the A1 - and part of the clue is in the name - should, barring accidents or exceptional weather, be open all the time. It may not be the prime route between London and Edinburgh, tough that is arguable; it certainly is the main route between Yorkshire, NE Egland and Edinburgh and SE Scotland and as such is a prime strategic road. That demand levels cause it to be reduced to a standstill - even if this happens on just a few days a year - really isn't acceptable in my opinion, to say nothing of problems the rest of the time: the delays by farm wagons, the accidents, the dangerous and inadequate junctions... I could go on.
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:22 AM   #91
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
I am glad, DX... and wasn't in that area (the delays were on the Alnwick-Morpeth stretch). But I would argue that the A1 - and part of the clue is in the name - should, barring accidents or exceptional weather, be open all the time. It may not be the prime route between London and Edinburgh, tough that is arguable; it certainly is the main route between Yorkshire, NE Egland and Edinburgh and SE Scotland and as such is a prime strategic road. That demand levels cause it to be reduced to a standstill - even if this happens on just a few days a year - really isn't acceptable in my opinion, to say nothing of problems the rest of the time: the delays by farm wagons, the accidents, the dangerous and inadequate junctions... I could go on.
The A1 certainly 'is' the prime route between London and Edinburgh and this is the reason why there are so many HGV's using it, hence the frustrated drivers. This is why it needs to be dualled! I travel to Edinburgh almost every week and now mostly use the slower A68 to avoid the annoying delays, and you're right .. farm equipment is a huge problem when HGV's are bottlenecked behind causing 30-40 frustrated cars to crawl along for many miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXNewcastle
the A1 in Northumberland only fails us for a few, usually easily predictable, days each year.
The A1 fails me on every occassion I use it for the reasons explained above.
maxtoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 12:33 PM   #92
WilfBurnsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtoon View Post
The A1 certainly 'is' the prime route between London and Edinburgh and this is the reason why there are so many HGV's using it, hence the frustrated drivers.
I thought it arguable because I thought that many if not most London-Edinburgh drivers would use the M1-M6-A74(M)-A702 instead: better roads for more of the journey.
Old August 31st, 2010, 02:11 PM   #93
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Travelling from Surbiton I've done the M25/M40/M42/M6 run a few times using the scottish A8-M8 route but the M6 motorway box can be a living hell easily adding hours to the journey (even before the toll). Unfortunately for me the easiest run by far is the M1/M18/A1 as bad as it is.
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:54 PM   #94
Tyr
King of Bernicia

Likes (Received): 28

Maybe we can convince the tories of the unionist plusses the dualling brings...thats the only way to get them to pay attention to the north.
Tyr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:45 AM   #95
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
The A1 certainly 'is' the prime route between London and Edinburgh and this is the reason why there are so many HGV's using it, hence the frustrated drivers. This is why it needs to be dualled! I travel to Edinburgh almost every week and now mostly use the slower A68 . . . .
Exactly! The A68 is 20 miles shorter. Its nearly always quicker, and if travelling to/from Darlington or south of there, it completely avoids the Washington/Gateshead/Dunston mess.

If there was to be any road-building, I've always argued that the A68 is the route to develop (as well as bringing opportunities to the underdeveloped Borders Region towns. But what a political challenge THAT would be - English regional investment to bnefit Scottish regional communities!).

Quote:
The A1 fails me on every occassion I use it for the reasons explained above.
And as I mentioned, it does so at predictable times. I went to Embleton and back to eat last night - 50 minutes straight through each way, no problem.
Use the train for the daily commute.
Don't touch the A1 on summer Sundays.
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:10 PM   #96
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

The A68 isn't really up to HGV standard at this moment in time, so asking for that route to be duelled nevermind just brought upto HGV standard would be a waste of time, especially for a saving of only 20 minutes. The duelling of the A1 would more then likely be cheaper then upgrading the A68. The fact of the matter is we in an ideal world need better road and rail links not just North of the border but elsewhere as well. I would be more than happy if they started with the A1.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:38 PM   #97
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Agreed .. dualling the A68 would be a pointless task as it currently traverses an extremely mountainess and twisty terrain. It would require a complete re-routing to make it useable on a day to day basis by commercial and HGV traffic. During the winter months huge sections can be closed due to severe weather. However, the Dalkeith bypass which recently opened has removed a major bottleneck at the northern terminus.
Old September 10th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #98
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Expert warns spending cuts make A1 dualling unlikely
September 10th 2010, by William Green, The Journal

SPENDING cuts mean the dualling of the A1 through Northumberland is unlikely to happen, even if Whitehall recognises the road’s national significance, a transport expert has warned.

Hopes have been raised that extra money will be available to upgrade the road with the Department for Transport (DfT) “minded” to reclassify it from being a route of regional to national importance.

The regional transport pot has been too small to meet the £400m-plus price tag of dualling, prompting demands that the A1 be recognised as a route of national significance to ensure it has access to national funding.

But Edmund King, president of the AA and a visiting professor of transport at Newcastle University, yesterday urged caution as to whether reclassification would meet hopes of fully dualling the route.

He said: “We should welcome the fact that is now on the map of more than local importance, which we have been saying at the AA for some time.

“But the reality is that if budgets are being cut across the board, it doesn’t necessarily make this forthcoming. The reality is – in this day and age with the cuts and proposed cuts – it probably doesn’t make any difference at all.

Berwick’s Liberal Democrat MP Sir Alan Beith said an announcement on the status of the road would be made very soon after discussing the A1 with Transport Minister Theresa Villiers this week.

He said: “Although progress will be difficult in the current financial situation, I am expecting an imminent announcement on the formal status of the road.

“Ministers have already told me in the House of Commons that they intend to treat the road as a national route of strategic importance rather than a regional route in future.”

Roads Minister Mike Penning said: “We are minded to reclassify the A1 north of Newcastle as part of the national network.

“A consultation will take place in due course on a change to the national networks definition criteria, which would allow this road to be reclassified. Work is under way to prepare the necessary consultation.”

FULL ( TWO PAGE ) ARTICLE HERE - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-27239180/
Old September 10th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #99
the_sage

Likes (Received): 57

I think we are all getting excited about nothing since the election pledge has already been 'fulfilled' ..... although I hope i'm proved wrong!
the_sage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #100
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

If it is placed onto a national importance list then it is a positive move., which means it hen gets put onto a waiting list instead of the region having to save up over a peroid of years to afford it, or to take out a loan in order of it getting done.

Newcastle Metro Area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
a1 (m), cars, england, motorway, motorways, newcastle, newcastle roads, newcastle transport, road, roads, transport, united kingdom