Roads | Scottish Road Projects | Ongoing - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum

Scottish Architecture Forum Architecture, Design and Urban Development for for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, and the rest of Scotland.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #1
R.K.Teck

Likes (Received): 825

Roads | Scottish Road Projects | Ongoing

After reading about today's announcement that the A9 project will start two years earlier than planned, I decided to start a thread dedicated to Scotland's road projects.. there are quite a lot of in the pipleline!

The two biggest cities will (finally) be connected by motorway once the M8 is completed.

All Scottish cities will be connected by at least dual-carriageway once the A9 and A96 are completed.

Replacement Forth Crossing (Under Construction)
Due to be complated in 2016, the official name of the bridge will be announced in 2013, following a vote.

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/Picture...ng_Image_3.jpg

M8 Completion
6 miles of dual-carriageway upgraded to motorway between Baillieston and Newhouse.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/...51/0032822.gif

A9 dualling
7 sections of road to be upgraded to dual-carriageway between Perth and Inverness, as well as the removal of 2 roundabouts in Perth in favour of grade separated juctions. The project has been brought forward by 2 years and work begins in 2015/16.

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/...rades_zoom.jpg

A96 Dualling
Begins in 2017, to be completed in 2025. The Inverness-Aberdeen road is currently a mixture of dual-carriageway, single carriageway with overtaking lane, and single carriageway.

Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route
A 28 mile long dual-carriageway bypass which has been held up for years due to complaints by people living along it's route, and others campaigning to save the green belt surrounding the West of Aberdeen.

http://www.awpr-pli.org/elements/images/map.jpg

2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7
2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7

Dundee, UK City of Culture, Candidate City

V&A Museum. Dundee Waterfront. Kengo Kuma. 2018?
Jute, Jam, Journalism... and Japanese Award Winning Architecture.

Old June 27th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #2
Ultima
Consider Deleted

Likes (Received): 286

The New Forth will be great, I love that level of ambition returning to Scotland. Putting up a new bridge there is like stamping our era into Scotland's history, it's a great symbolic gesture. I welcome all major road projects in the country, anything that will help bring us up to speed. The M74 completion has made such a difference!
Ultima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Pious Fraud

Likes (Received): 1611

Ravenscraig project to progress with £10m for M8 link

Pious Fraud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Chris99

Likes (Received): 1610

A75 Hardgrove to Kinmount - WS2+1 Scheme

Shovel ready A75 scheme gets £20 million

27 June 2012

Brown says Finance Secretary funding will allow Hardgrove works to start

Finance Secretary, John Swinney today confirmed to Parliament a raft of ‘shovel ready’ schemes which are set to benefit from accelerated capital expenditure.

Included on the list is the Hardgrove to Kinmount scheme on the A75 which will get £20 million in funding over the next two years to allow work to start.

Welcoming the news, Transport Minister Keith Brown said:

“At the members Debate on May 31st, I said I intended to be the Transport Minister who built this road and I am delighted that the necessary funding has been found.

“The news will be welcomed by local communities along this road who have been pressing for funds to be found to ensure this scheme can go ahead.

“The necessary preparation works, including design and statutory processes have been completed which will ensure work can start almost immediately, and the benefits of the scheme can begin to be felt.

“We have witnessed some tragic accidents on the A75 in recent months, no more tragic than the death of a three week old baby. My deepest sympathies are with the parents, family and friends at what must continue to be an extremely difficult and emotional time for them.

“As a Government we have listened to the views expressed by campaigners, by the local media, and all of those who wanted to see this scheme progress, that funding be found, and I hope confirmation of this today has shown that we have also acted.”

More details of the shovel ready schemes which have benefited from today’s accelerated capital spending announcement can be found on the Scottish Government’s website athttp://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/News-Today

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/...ent_state=full

Last edited by Chris99; June 28th, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Chris99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #5
The Boy David

Likes (Received): 1091

Good thread. There an abundance of good stuff being done just now, quite right to be proud of it.
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #6
Chris99

M876 Junction 2 - New Slip Roads

Motorway Improvements nearing completion

28 June 2012

Users of the M876 will welcome the news an improvement scheme at Junction 2 Larbert (Glenbervie) is nearing completion.

The £2.8 million project has reached a stage where the new slip roads have to be joined to the M876. On completion, these works will allow direct access to and from the east of Scotland at junction 2.

At present, traffic heading towards Edinburgh or Grangemouth travels along the local roads adding to traffic volumes over a considerable area. These new slips will ease this problem by allowing traffic from Glenbervie, Larbert and Stenhousemuir better access to the motorway and will be beneficial for users of the new Forth Valley Royal Hospital.

To build these tie-ins, it is necessary to reduce both eastbound and westbound M876 traffic to one lane in each direction, work starts on Monday 2 July for four weeks. This will allow the work to be completed in the shortest time with the least disruption to the travelling public.

A spokesperson for Transport Scotland said:

"This project is set to bring real benefits by reducing traffic on local roads.

"Whilst they have been timed to coincide with the school holidays, when traffic volumes are significantly lower, it is still anticipated that there will be delays on the M876 at peak hours.

"We ask drivers to pay attention to the traffic management which is there to protect both road workers and road users alike.

"Road users should plan their journeys carefully in advance using the Traffic Scotland website and allow extra time for their journey."

The works have been designed by Falkirk Council and are being carried out by R. J. McLeod Ltd.

Old June 28th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Chris99

A737 Dalry Bypass - WS2+1 Scheme

Route for Dalry Bypass to go on display

18 June 2012

Plans for the £28 million Dalry Bypass are set to be unveiled this week (Friday 22 June) in a public exhibition in Dalry Library.

The preferred route for this vital scheme has been selected, marking a major milestone towards resolving a well-known bottleneck.

Transport Minister Keith Brown said:

“By making these proposals public this week, we reaffirm this Scottish Government’s commitment to taking forward this multi-million pound scheme which will transform journeys for the people in and around Dalry.

“When it opens, the Bypass will encourage improved economic and employment opportunities through better journey time reliability for motorists and businesses along the length of the A737.

“We would encourage anyone with an interest in the Dalry Bypass to take some time to attend the exhibition and review the designs for this scheme which will have lasting benefits across North Ayrshire and beyond."

On completion, the Dalry Bypass will help separate local from strategic traffic and lead to improved safety for both rural road users and local communities.

Subject to completion of necessary statutory procedures, construction expected to start in 2014.

The public exhibition is being held on Friday 22 June 12 noon - 7.30 pm at Dalry Public Library, 14 The Cross, Dalry, Ayrshire KA24 5AW.

Representatives from Transport Scotland and their consultants Mouchel Fairhurst Joint Venture will be available to discuss the scheme proposals.

Details of the options considered and the preferred option can be found on the Transport Scotland website from Friday 22 June.

Leaflet: http://mobile.transportscotland.gov....ts/Leaflet.pdf

Last edited by Chris99; June 28th, 2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Chris99

A82 Pulpit Rock Improvement, Loch Lomond - Road Widening and New Viaduct

A82 Pulpit Rock works move a step closer

23 April 2012

The A82 Pulpit Rock Improvement scheme took a step forward today when the notice for the main contract was published.

Signalling the start of the procurement process, Transport Scotland has published the OJEU contract notice for the works which are expected to start in spring next year.

The improvements will involve the provision of a new 0.4km single two-lane carriageway, which includes a new viaduct structure that runs parallel to the loch shoreline for 180m and online widening of the existing carriageway to the north of the structure.

The works will result in traffic signals being removed from the location after 30 years and the road upgraded to enable the free flow of traffic.

Construction is expected to last for around one year and the anticipated construction cost for the scheme is £11 million.

The A82 is the main link road from Glasgow and the Central Belt to Fort William, the Highlands and the Western Isles. The road is wedged between Loch Lomond and the steeply sloping hillside and any works on it will provide real engineering challenges.

Exhibition booklet:http://mobile.transportscotland.gov....on_Booklet.pdf
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #9
Chris99

A96 Inveramsay Bridge - Realignment and New 'Road over Rail' Bridge

A96 Inveramsay Bridge improvements design selected

11 April 2012

Drivers in the north east will welcome news that a notorious bottleneck is a stage closer to being removed, Transport Minister, Keith Brown, announced today.

The Minister was speaking as he announced details of the preferred option for the Inveramsay Bridge improvements. Following public consultation last October, the option described as the “road over rail river route”, will be taken forward for these vital works.

Mr Brown said:

“The Scottish Government is committed to improving traffic flow on the A96 at the Inveramsay Bridge.

“Locals and visitors can expect significant benefits through reduced congestion and improved journey time reliability on one of the north of Scotland's main routes. The works will also enable the removal of the existing traffic signals from the road.

“Following the public consultation last October, the ‘road over rail river route’ option has been identified as delivering the best value for money, whilst minimising disruption to existing road users. It is also offers additional safety benefits relating to the height restriction on the existing structure and separates local agricultural traffic from other vehicles.”

The works are expected to be completed during this Parliamentary term, subject to the satisfactory completion of statutory processes.

Preferred option:http://mobile.transportscotland.gov....ition-2011.pdf

http://mobile.transportscotland.gov....vements-design
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #10
Chris99

A75 Dunragit Bypass - WS2+1 Scheme

This scheme is now at procurement stage with funding confirmed and construction to start Spring 2013:

A75 Dunragit Bypass Project

Project Summary:
This project involves the construction of a new 5.3 kilometre stretch of the A75, to the east of Stranraer, in Dumfries and Galloway, providing improved overtaking facilities in both the east and westbound directions.

http://mobile.transportscotland.gov....bypass-project
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #11
Hendycfc

Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
The New Forth will be great, I love that level of ambition returning to Scotland. Putting up a new bridge there is like stamping our era into Scotland's history, it's a great symbolic gesture. I welcome all major road projects in the country, anything that will help bring us up to speed. The M74 completion has made such a difference!
Yeah.. 3 bridges from 3 different centuries! Going to look amazing.
Hendycfc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #12
Chris99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendycfc View Post
Yeah.. 3 bridges from 3 different centuries! Going to look amazing.
Yeah even during construction it will be some sight. I think I'll be a regular visitor to South Queensferry over the coming years, once in a lifetime opportunity to watch something like this take shape.
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #13
Ultima
Consider Deleted

Likes (Received): 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris99 View Post
Yeah even during construction it will be some sight. I think I'll be a regular visitor to South Queensferry over the coming years, once in a lifetime opportunity to watch something like this take shape.
Indeed, the bridge will stand far longer than any of us. I think it also sends a good message to the world that Scottish engineering is still alive and well.
Ultima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #14
bestbud

Likes (Received): 1255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima

Indeed, the bridge will stand far longer than any of us.
Fingers crossed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima

I think it also sends a good message to the world that Scottish engineering is still alive and well.
Galliford Try, Dragados, hochtief, American Bridge International and ZPMC will do a great job, I'm sure. I'm not so sure of their Scottish credentials though (maybe GT at a push)
bestbud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 12:40 AM   #15
Chris99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
Indeed, the bridge will stand far longer than any of us. I think it also sends a good message to the world that Scottish engineering is still alive and well.
The M74 Completion was a great feat of engineering too - if you're in the area check out the view of the Port Eglington Viaduct from the streets below, very impressive - the FRC will be on another level of course.
Old June 29th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #16
ForzaD

Likes (Received): 237

Love these two images:

ForzaD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #17
Hendycfc

One question. What will the Forth Road Bridge be used for after the new bridge is built? I have heard a few conflicting plans.
Old June 30th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #18
Leki

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendycfc View Post
One question. What will the Forth Road Bridge be used for after the new bridge is built? I have heard a few conflicting plans.
Lots of info on the website http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/...ement-crossing

Using it for buses, cycles and pedestrains seems to be the plan, with a possibilty of future light rail/guided bus corridor use.

I think the three bridges will look brilliant and each one will be iconic in its own right. I just hope they give it a decent name and not some kind of 'Clacks Bridge' style fudge!
Leki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 11:30 PM   #19
Hendycfc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leki View Post
Lots of info on the website http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/...ement-crossing

Using it for buses, cycles and pedestrains seems to be the plan, with a possibilty of future light rail/guided bus corridor use.

I think the three bridges will look brilliant and each one will be iconic in its own right. I just hope they give it a decent name and not some kind of 'Clacks Bridge' style fudge!
Ahh, thanks a lot!
Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:34 PM   #20
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

When is the M8 works due to be finished?

I hope this new A96 bit is going to be dual carriageway already. The recently-opened new bits of the A96 are single, god knows why given the long standing plans to eventually make it all dual.
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
motorway, projects, road