Blackfriars Circus | Southwark | 93m | 27 fl - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Completed projects Completed buildings and structures in London

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #41
Storeys
Hello

Likes (Received): 1008

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Lol – I don’t think a modern architecture forum with the words skyscraper in the title is representative of the majority view
It's not often though that a tower gets praised by so many people! My main point really is that it's a good development which would be great for the area. Though I appreciate this one is even too tall for a lot of people!
Storeys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #42
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1055

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeneezer_Goode View Post
They're old.
The original building or the people protesting?
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #43
gravesVpelli

Likes (Received): 5390

They look silly. If they have nothing better to do they should volunteer to work for a charity. Poor souls.
gravesVpelli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2014, 08:03 PM   #44
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 14251

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
The original building or the people protesting?
The people. The building isn't; 60s I would guess, I can't imagine anyone protesting to save it at any rate.

Must admit I am genuinely baffled by this, in a lot of cases I can sympathise with 'nimbys' more than some on this forum seem to, but this isn't introducing a huge standalone tower into a sea of residential cottages. It's a main road lined with mid-rises offices. And I'm not sure where this tower would be prominent, that the towers in Elephant or at the top of blackfriars road, wouldn't also be visible anyway.

Edit: so I decided to try and find out the main objection, in case assuming their complaint was "It's tall" was doing anybody a disservice. It does seem as though the problem is that... it's tall. Although I'm not sure if this BARD blog/group is connected to the people on Twitter, to be fair.

They also seem miffed that the council planning identified the north end of Blackfriars Road as suitable for tall buildings, thus, by implication if nothing else, the south end was deemed unsuitable for tall buildings. Although whether this is an inference or an explicit council statement I don't know.

I think there is probably a fair point of protest in there, inasmuch as buildings taller than the borough planning framework thingies / outside the designated 'tall building zones' do seem to be approved on the regular, and any split between a local govt's policy/rhetoric and action is worthy of scrutiny/objection. Although obviously from my personal POV I would think if the planning rhetoric is too restrictive for the current development situation in london the solution is to adjust that to match the reality, not the other way around, but I can see why people would be miffed.

London construction photos: • by area/project • by year
Urban Showcase: • Valletta • Ljubljana • Funchal • Lisbon • Lanzarote •• Orkney • Bristol • England's West Country • London

Last edited by stevekeiretsu; October 27th, 2014 at 08:26 PM.
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 11:05 PM   #45
Retro Specs

Likes (Received): 3564

The best part of a year ago the council unveiled a planning framework for the Blackfriars Road which called for a landmark tall building at the southern end of the road, so their objection based on planning framework is somewhat out of date. If they were objecting to a project on some social basis such as lack of affordable housing or loss of jobs in current building I might even support the protest, but this case really does seem like pure NIMBYism about height of a building that isn't even that tall.
Old October 28th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #46
Storeys
Hello

From http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/7913

Quote:
Barratt Developments plans to demolish Erlang House and Hill House and build 336 new homes in a scheme which includes a 27-storey tower.

On Monday two public protests were held at the foot of the obelisk in St George's Circus in opposition to the developer's plans.
From the campaign website http://southwarkresidentssayno.com/

Quote:
We love Southwark and value the friendly, co-operative, supportive nature of our community.

But now we feel that our neighbourhood is under threat.

Many residents, individuals and groups, are deeply worried about the planning policies of Southwark Council.

Far too many tower blocks are being given planning consent. Many loved and valued older buildings have been destroyed, or are scheduled for demolition.

These policy decisions threaten to break up our community and destroy our neighbourhood.

The groups and individuals listed here are committed to making their feelings clear to Southwark Council, and to campaigning against these damaging policies.

Last edited by SE9; October 28th, 2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Reduced article - fair use
Old October 28th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #47
potto

Likes (Received): 12066

love the dead pan faces while standing in front of the local "valued" building and the way the media always accepts at face value the sinister xenophobia of the typical "we feel that our neighbourhood is under threat", remember this, like many others, are residential proposals for a growing population not office or industrial and no is being physically moved away as seen in the post-war slum clearance programs.

.Adam liked this post
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #48
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 14298

i assume they'd like to preserve that well-loved local landmarks, the defunct office buildings on the site. there's an argument to be made against redevelopment and gentrification (see elephant and castle) but not here. this is precisely the right development for this sort of site.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #49
Storeys
Hello

I think the development could actually make the local landmarks stand out better. At the moment, the obelisk and Victorian buildings looks a bit lost in what looks like quite a run down area. So they just look like more mess in a messy area. With developments such as the one proposed, I think people will look at the current landmarks with more appreciation rather than just more clutter of an untidy looking part of London.
Old October 28th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #50
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13334

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekeiretsu View Post
A reminder of the site at present

128-150 Blackfriars Road by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr
How the hell could anyone prefer this to what's being proposed?!

Nathan Dawz, Vnofd5 liked this post
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #51
potto

Likes (Received): 12066

because that building does not cast a shadow or appear behind the world famous local obelisk.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #52
.Adam

Likes (Received): 889

Lets hope the student block next door is next for the chop its a mess of a building.
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #53
gothicform
Bossman

we dodged a bullet though... amazing how relatively minor changes can have such a huge impact on a project and make it look attractive

here's your NIMBY website -
http://www.wcdg.net/content/southwark-residents-say-no

the campaigners seem under the impression that this project means 1,000 people lose their jobs.
Old October 29th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #54
Jimmy Mack
@ldnskyscrapers

Likes (Received): 80

Is that a new design? How disappointing, the other one was much nicer.
Jimmy Mack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 06:38 PM   #55
gravesVpelli

Likes (Received): 5390

Yes the setbacks were more graceful and in line with what the Americans would have done. Instead UK gets another boring stick of a block.
gravesVpelli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 07:04 PM   #56
Storeys
Hello

It's a shame they've even touched this one. The old design is below. I still like it, but the crown isn't as striking. The brick is a nice colour though on the new design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post

-
Old October 29th, 2014, 08:11 PM   #57
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

I get the feeling some people are confused over which is the new/ old design.

This is the new design.

This is the old design that is not being built.

Old October 29th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #58
gothicform
Bossman

i should be clearer! this is the older shitty design. what i mean is that there are relatively few changes to the development but it looks amazing now. you can see (i hope) how that little retouching on the drawing board can make a huge difference.

Old October 30th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #59
ThatOneGuy
Real Horrorshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
How the hell could anyone prefer this to what's being proposed?!
Because more and more of these buildings are being mindlessly demolished and we are repeating history.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #60
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 77707

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Because more and more of these buildings are being mindlessly demolished and we are repeating history.
No tears will be shed when those buildings go.
Advertisement

Tags
128, 150, blackfriars, lavington, london, maccreanor, road, southwark